Pay More To Reach Download Cap Even Faster

I hate that stupid S.Korea example. Their fucking ISPs blow. I lived in Pyeongtaek City and I had a 100 meg or 150 meg connection. I don't remember. It came with like 100 channels too. Either way, it ran like a 5 meg connection for like 6 months and then it was upgraded to near 10 meg. Cost me $30 a month. It's all just a lie there. All these little statistics of saying S.Korea has some of the fastest connections is all BS. None of them actually bothered to purchase the connection from the ISP and test them out. FYI, I was using TBroad.

The shitty service in Germany is comparable to S.Korea's ISPs. S.Korea's ISPs don't compare to the US's, unless you happen to live in Seoul and that's it. I had faster connection on my phone than back in 2005 in Japan, than I did with a landline in S.Korea in 2010.

get a decently new router that is on the DD-WRT compatible list, or better yet one that is DD-WRT certified

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=DD-WRT&x=0&y=0

get DD-WRT on it and it gives you detailed bandwidth and this way you get the "big picture" of total bandwidth in and out of your house instead of software running on one PC that only counts it's own bandwidth

ooo i have a Linksys WRT54GL.....now to learn about this ddwrt thing... is there a ddwrt for noobs?

ooo i have a Linksys WRT54GL.....now to learn about this ddwrt thing... is there a ddwrt for noobs?

DDWRT is worth it's weight in gold. However if you want a simpler interface that's *almost* as powerful, you might try Tomato instead. (though it's still fairly complex)

Not exactly. You have to be very careful. Most important thing is to make sure you know exactly what hardware revision you have and to make sure you are flashing the correct firmware that is compiled for that specific hardware revision. For the one you have that should be relatively easy since it is so popular. Go to the ddwrt website. It has a hardware lookup thing and all. With enough reading you will find the right one and will be able to enjoy a better, more configurable router.

Lets look at this from a different angle.
New York city = 19 million people
Seoul Korea = 10 million
Whats stopping the speed matching Seoul, in New york City, not enough people to make a profit, can't use the excuse of density.Or we can go back to the people are getting ripped off compared to the other industrial countries of the world .

My neighbor has a Gigabit connection to my office.

America FTW.

My neighbor has a Gigabit connection to my office.

America FTW.

They're laying Gigabit fiber in my tiny little mountain town (because we're between the source and Atlanta, GA) Rumor has it they're going to offer 100/50 connections, 100/30 connections, or 50/50 connections.

:D:D:D

They're laying Gigabit fiber in my tiny little mountain town (because we're between the source and Atlanta, GA) Rumor has it they're going to offer 100/50 connections, 100/30 connections, or 50/50 connections.
:D:D:D
And what pray tell are the caps going to be.:D

TBA...

People pretend there wont be any caps, but I'm betting differently...

Oh there will be. On a connection like that the company providing the service would go broke without caps.

Thats the thing I think a lot of you don't understand. If I am not mistaken the ISP's have to pay for bandwidth like you pay for gas at the pump. Per byte.

Oh there will be. On a connection like that the company providing the service would go broke without caps.

Thats the thing I think a lot of you don't understand. If I am not mistaken the ISP's have to pay for bandwidth like you pay for gas at the pump. Per byte.

I'm banking on a 200gb cap, though based on what the company currently offers, it will be a soft cap and they simply slow you down... (just rumors, not used them before and the ppl who said this might be confusing that ISP with the one I'm currently on, who drops my 3mbps down to about 500-700kbps when I break the soft-cap)

Yes and No... they pay but it's something like $0.38/TB. Somebody who worked for an ISP posted the rate they paid and it was <$0.01/GB so...

Really makes one wonder where the buck stops though...

They don't impose caps because "they be hatin' on heavy users" they do it because heavy users with large pipes can consume more than they paid far after correcting for profit margins.

Comcast states 99% of their users use 4-6 GB a month. It's absurd that 4-6GB is ideal for comcast. They don't need to advertise such high speeds with such a low download/upload cap. I wish I had other ISPs to choose from. I love America and I want some cheap gas, food, internet and lots of it. This is reality.

If I ever get capped, I am going to offer to split my service with my neighbors and get a business service which would cost more but be uncapped (I technically work from home). I'll just run a few 100ft Cat6 cables to their houses, limit their bandwidth to a reasonable level, and split the cost. Then I would proceed to pound the connection day and night just to give my ISP the finger. If you live in an apartment, you should already be doing this. But I am sure there is some way they can stop it.

You know, I used to tell people who bitched about the cap to calm down and stop whining...

Almost nobody will use that much. Well, I started paying attention and running bandwidth reports at my home and I found that with 1 TV streaming netflix, 1 desktop (Steam downloads mostly account for the big files there, no "linux ISOs" ), 1 laptop and my phone and nook (minimal amount of downloading there) I used 130GB last month.

If you considered a typical home with 2 or more people doing netflix, gaming and watching hulu I could easily see where 250GB would get eaten up very quickly

Your post is an example why anyone stating "calm down and stop whining" is ignorant and their opinion shouldn't be taken seriously. Just imagine if you never used Steam or Netflix, you would still be trolling these type of threads with ignorance. Glad you came to your senses though. ;)

I back up my home file server to Crashplan and I uploaded more than 500gb last month. Completely legit use.

I would never put up with caps and I'm glad Tme Warner doesn't have any.

I back up my home file server to Crashplan and I uploaded more than 500gb last month. Completely legit use.

3D Graphics deisgn (including demos) using Carbonite. close to 1TB between models, animations, PS maps, etc. I'm just waiting to see what happens when the 1gb lines (100mbps personal likely) come in around Oct... no mention of caps yet, but I'm betting I wont be doing this again...

Back