Pay $5 To Upgrade an Old DVD to Blu-ray?

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you ask me, this is a pretty damn good idea. What do you think? Your old DVD plus $4.95 for the Blu-ray version of the movie?

Warner Bros. has an interesting program that they've recently expanded a bit—mail in an old DVD movie along with $5 to swap it for the newer, Blu-ray version. After mulling it over, I think I like the idea.

They sent me an email about this a few months ago. I love the idea. Haven't got around to doing it yet. Probably will soon enough.

This is such a sweet idea! Just think if they would have done this for HDDVD!

I always thought it was highway robbery that you almost had to replace your media collection every few years due to a format change.

This is a great compromise.

This is such a sweet idea! Just think if they would have done this for HDDVD!

I always thought it was highway robbery that you almost had to replace your media collection every few years due to a format change.

This is a great compromise.

They did.

http://www.red2blu.com/

About 6 or 7 months ago, they started the red2blu program.

Is Johnny Mnemnonic available for this deal? Hard to see who owns it these days, was Tristar in 1995 but who owns them now, who owns WB now?

Is Johnny Mnemnonic available for this deal? Hard to see who owns it these days, was Tristar in 1995 but who owns them now, who owns WB now?

It's not on Blu-ray yet from what I can tell (just checked a few sources that are very accurate) but, who knows... maybe someday.

I love this idea. I have several movies that I'd love a better version of. Especially those I bought back when DVD's first came out. The ones that were already letterboxed to start with and now only fill 1/4 of my screen could really use it.

Thank you [H] as I just submitted 13 from that link for a grand total of $68.40....woot

+1 to WB for this move. Good way to generate extra revenue and push more people to blu-ray.

I am almost in a quandary. Do you spend more (even 5 bucks) for the hd replacements or just get a Netflix streaming account ?

The entire Stanley Kubrick line-up is in there, so I'm on this. I have that older boxed set on DVD, so this is perfect for upgrading it.

I am almost in a quandary. Do you spend more (even 5 bucks) for the hd replacements or just get a Netflix streaming account ?

Simple answer: Do you want to own the movie permanently or just watch it based on a subscription you keep paying for?

Simple answer: Do you want to own the movie permanently or just watch it based on a subscription you keep paying for?

And Blu-ray is better than streamed Netflix...at least on a bigger screen. On my 37"...Netflix is fine (minus occasional bitrate pixellation).

On the projector (100")...Netflix is good, but blu-ray is much better.

Not to mention that in times - and we've all had them sooner or later - where our Internet connections just go kaput and crap out and die on us for whatever reason.

Kinda hard to stream Netflix content when you're not online... real physical media ftw!!!

Damn, I've only got 6 of those, so I fall short of free shipping. However, Corpse Bride (animated Blu FTW) might be worth it by itself.

And Blu-ray is better than streamed Netflix...at least on a bigger screen. On my 37"...Netflix is fine (minus occasional bitrate pixellation).

On the projector (100")...Netflix is good, but blu-ray is much better.

Yeah, the whole thing is apples and oranges. Netflix instant streaming gives you access to about 500 movies and TV shows at once...but quality can be spotty. However they also rotate movies on and off pretty often, too. A movie that's there today might not be there next week or even tomorrow in some cases. I've had some movies that would show up on a Monday and they'd be gone in 48 hours. On the PC you can sometimes hunt them down with the search function, but on the 360 they're long gone.

That's a damn good deal. I with everyone would do this. Looks like I'm going through my DVD collection tonight!

What's awesome is that you can buy DVD's at yard sales or the Goodwill for 50 cents or a dollar and trade up to Blu that way. I've got a crap load on that list, plus the HD-DVD's I have to send off still. A great idea, and it's sad that only WB is doing this. It would really help Blu-ray's adoption if more people did this.

My in-laws are retarded and think they have to rebuy all their movies on Blu-ray because they were given a Blu-ray player. They know (now that I've explained it to them) that it will play DVD's... They won't buy Blu-rays because "They've already seen that movie".....

I don't understand how some people only have like 1 out of that whole list. I like the idea, though a free digital copy would suit me better. The woman has already started pulling stuff out of the DVD library to send in lol.

Does the $5 fee include shipping? And what about special edition DVDs?

Great idea! I'd switch to BR if I could convert most of my library. All that would be left is for someone to remaster the sound on The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Permanently own? You mean like the bazillion DVD's that I own cluttering up the place...that I may never watch again? Like those?

If you ask me, this is a pretty damn good idea. What do you think? Your old DVD plus $4.95 for the Blu-ray version of the movie?

This has been around for well over a year. There seems to be less DVDs in the offer. I know at one time they had the Harry Potter flicks, including the box set (for $15.00) in the mix.

My recollection is that I had very few that were covered......oh wait....maybe that was HD-DVD to BD.......nevermind ;)

With that said, I although I have WB titles, not one of them is on that rather short list.
Nevertheless, if you have those flicks on DVD $5.00 isnt' a bad upgrade price.

FYI, shipping is $4.95 for 0-$34.99 worth of disks. If you spend $35.00, or more, shipping is free.

Shipping kills it for just a couple DVDs since you have to pay shipping for both ways.

Shipping kills it for just a couple DVDs since you have to pay shipping for both ways.

Yup....if you have a bunch of them, or you combine with a friend, then it's a good deal. I had the same issues with the red2blu promotion, and that's why I never bothered with it.

Dude...so I should stop letting my 3 year old terrorize the old DVD draw?

Back