Pawn Stars Make A Scroogled Ad

How many different pieces of software of Microsoft need fixed and could have better made use of the money from this ad?

I like the show but I think half of it is scripted. But even knowing that its pretty entertaining.

Microsoft's anti Google stuff is kinda lame. As an unbiased person, I think they really need to work on the creepy uncle angle as it's a lot closer to the freakish stalker reality of the company.

What Microsoft is saying with its Scroogled campaign is 100% true. Problem is, no one wants to hear it from Microsoft / Yahoo / Apple / <insert tech giant here>.

What Microsoft is saying with its Scroogled campaign is 100% true. Problem is, no one wants to hear it from Microsoft / Yahoo / Apple / <insert tech giant here>.

In fairness having tech giants that spy on you and your usage habits trying to get your business by pointing out to you how the other guy spies on your usage habits is...pretty asinine.

hmm, i thought it was a fairly well done commercial. Remember folks...we're not the target audience.

I enjoy mud slinging competition, like the wars between Verizon and att.

microsoft and fairsearch group can go jump off a ledge for all i care.
I ll take google gathering info to give me better search result vs fixing search result to get top search result like they were doing a few years ago.
You were always getting sketchy shops in the first page result instead of what your were looking for.

Scroogled. I love the marketing guy/gal who came up with that term. The commercial was okay, but scroogled... LOL!

+1 if this was some feisty startup company fighting the big corporate giant...

Funny watching MS try to be the shat on underdog after being the MS of evil business practices for so long in the view of so many people

Ms has not done anything that apple and google are doing right now and not being frowned upon...even though they are using their monopolies to branch out in other areas. So i think it is fair game to point that out since the other guys had no problem doing the same.

the one word for everyone == hypocrite.

I do like how they mentioned a want for none Microsoft software in the ad. Not a huge fan of this commercial. Even a laptop with windows and office and all that from 2 years ago would only get you about $100 from a pawn shop. Not getting to Hollywood no matter what you are trying to pawn off.

From the company that almost brought you the always connected Xbox One.

You behind on your news. they got rid of the need to be connected to the internet, which sucks as that resulted in the loss of a lot of great features.

Crossing my fingers that some make their way back at some point in time.

Ms has not done anything that apple and google are doing right now and not being frowned upon...even though they are using their monopolies to branch out in other areas. So i think it is fair game to point that out since the other guys had no problem doing the same.

the one word for everyone == hypocrite.

I'll bite. How so? I haven't ever had my emails show up in a bing search. Can't say the same for Google. I haven't had ads show up based on words in my Hotmail email, can't say the same about Google. Don't have ads pop up based on what I type in office, or what programs I have installed in Windows. Microsoft hasn't driven past my house and collected data and used it to crack my wifi password. Is Microsoft the perfect company, no. Have they done wrong in the past, sure. Do they mine data at the level of Google, no. Do they seem to care more about privacy of data, yes as far as I can tell.

To make a commercial like that means the Chrome book must be doing well enough for Microsoft to make a commercial like that. But if we're comparing useless laptop like devices, there's the Surface RT. While it can run Windows and Office, it's about all it can do. It also costs more then the Chrome Book.

Anyone with a Chrome Book would have put Ubuntu on the thing and use Libre Office. If you own Surface RT, you just pray that someone rights an application for it.

DSC03068_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

You behind on your news. they got rid of the need to be connected to the internet, which sucks as that resulted in the loss of a lot of great features.

From the company that almost brought you the always connected Xbox One

Microsoft just wants to shun Google for doing things they themselves have/would do.

Anyone with a Chrome Book would have put Ubuntu on the thing and use Libre Office. If you own Surface RT, you just pray that someone rights an application for it.

Weird, every chromebook I see around is running stock and the users are often/mostly frustrated when they can't do something they expected to be able to having come from a Mac or PC.

100% agreed. Everyone knows it to be true of the Chromebooks but Microsoft is the LAST company they want to hear that from. It's a thing called tact, and Microsoft has none of it as of late.

Yes, Microsoft, we agree.... THE CLOUD and anything like it is STUPID.

Renting software from the cloud is something only a fucking MORON would ever consider, your business model into the future is total SHIT, and so you yourself have just told yourself to go fuck yourself, and I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I will NEVER EVER rent software from you or google from the cloud, so you can both go scroogle yourselves.... in the cloud.

Cue Joni Mitchell ... :eek::rolleyes::p

This &

The video was pretty funny, I love that show.

Weird, every chromebook I see around is running stock and the users are often/mostly frustrated when they can't do something they expected to be able to having come from a Mac or PC.

Wait wait, so you're saying we can't assume everyone in the world is as tech savvy as those of us who are [H]'ers? :rolleyes:

Wait wait, so you're saying we can't assume everyone in the world is as tech savvy as those of us who are [H]'ers? :rolleyes:

If you're assuming everyone isn't tech savy, then neither the Chrome Book or the Surface RT is any good. They're basically web browser devices with a slim hope of getting more out of it. Anyone who tries to, will find it painful.

But bring it to your tech savy family member then I'm sure they'll have no problem fixing some of those problems. For RT devices you can install Win86Emu and hopefully you'll be able to run some Windows software, at slow performance of course. With the Chrome Book you do have the option to totally remove the OS for Ubuntu, which has a much higher selection of software, just not Windows software.

Don't get me wrong, they're both bad devices, but at least the Chrome Book is cheaper and can become an Ubuntu Book.

Just because Stalin is the one saying Hitler is a bad man, doesn't make it less true.....

I'll bite. How so? I haven't ever had my emails show up in a bing search.

I'll bite, how is that in any way creepy or wrong? I've found it pretty damn handy, and it's only showing my stuff to me. Kind of what a search is *SUPPOSED* to do, no?

Don't have ads pop up based on what I type in office, or what programs I have installed in Windows.

Google doesn't show ads based off of what Chrome apps & bookmarks you have either, what's your point?

Microsoft hasn't driven past my house and collected data and used it to crack my wifi password.

Neither has Google...

Well, Google drove past your house, but they didn't try to crack any wifi passwords.

Do they mine data at the level of Google, no. Do they seem to care more about privacy of data, yes as far as I can tell.

Microsoft's *CONSUMER MARKETING* cares about privacy of data. Microsoft's *PRIVACY POLICY* does not, not in the slightest. Hell, Microsoft's ad marketing even brags about how they can target ads based off of a user's recent online activity: http://advertising.microsoft.com/en-us/display-ad-targeting

If you think Microsoft cares about respecting your privacy, you are oh so very wrong. The only reason Microsoft doesn't have as much data on you as Google does is because Microsoft isn't as successful, it's certainly not for lack of trying or any sort of moral decision.

But it's not. They say, for example, that Google tracks you if you use Chrome. This is completely, 100% false. It's pure FUD. If you just blindly click through IE's settings you're quite likely to end up with Microsoft tracking everything you do, though, with things like "Suggested Sites". Which sends your complete browser history as well as statistics like site referrer, time spent on page, etc... to Microsoft periodically that is tied to a unique identifier as per the privacy policy.

Weird. I have never seen a chromebook "in the wild" ever. I have seen Surface and RT's, but never once a chromebook. Its funny how people harp on RT for being a "flop" selling only 900,000 units on launch. Yet in 2 years, schromebook has sold a TOTAL of 200,000, and thats including all manufacturers. These numbers are about a year old and I dont have new figures, but im sure it still looks just as bad.

Bingo. To me, this is becoming a huge concern. I like having at least some false notion of privacy. As a result, I tend to keep many of my devices including my IPAD and Android based phone off until I need it.

I'll bite, how is that in any way creepy or wrong? I've found it pretty damn handy, and it's only showing my stuff to me. Kind of what a search is *SUPPOSED* to do, no?

Google doesn't show ads based off of what Chrome apps & bookmarks you have either, what's your point?

Neither has Google...

Well, Google drove past your house, but they didn't try to crack any wifi passwords.

Microsoft's *CONSUMER MARKETING* cares about privacy of data. Microsoft's *PRIVACY POLICY* does not, not in the slightest. Hell, Microsoft's ad marketing even brags about how they can target ads based off of a user's recent online activity: http://advertising.microsoft.com/en-us/display-ad-targeting

If you think Microsoft cares about respecting your privacy, you are oh so very wrong. The only reason Microsoft doesn't have as much data on you as Google does is because Microsoft isn't as successful, it's certainly not for lack of trying or any sort of moral decision.

But it's not. They say, for example, that Google tracks you if you use Chrome. This is completely, 100% false. It's pure FUD. If you just blindly click through IE's settings you're quite likely to end up with Microsoft tracking everything you do, though, with things like "Suggested Sites". Which sends your complete browser history as well as statistics like site referrer, time spent on page, etc... to Microsoft periodically that is tied to a unique identifier as per the privacy policy.

I meant show up in search in that private emails show up in public search. Since they index your emails there has been two or three times at least where something went wrong and people's emails or the content of private google docs became public. Fist time this happen you could search the words password or pin on google and it would return for you every single gmail email message or google doc that had these words in it. And when google packet captured wifi data they did also decrypt wifi passwords and store them. that was part of that entire thing about their and what they were gathering and storing during their streetview driving.

Im sure you ran something like spybot search and destroy , 1st thing it does kill all the MS trackers :)

I meant show up in search in that private emails show up in public search. Since they index your emails there has been two or three times at least where something went wrong and people's emails or the content of private google docs became public. Fist time this happen you could search the words password or pin on google and it would return for you every single gmail email message or google doc that had these words in it.

Do you have a source for this? I haven't heard of any such thing, nor can I find anything to backup your rather strong claim. When *you* search on google.com you will see *your* private information inter-mixed, but you will not see *others* private information. A data breach of that magnitude would have been front page everywhere - but I can't find a single trace of it. Given that you also misunderstood the wifi thing, I'm guessing you have just misunderstood this as well.

And when google packet captured wifi data they did also decrypt wifi passwords and store them. that was part of that entire thing about their and what they were gathering and storing during their streetview driving.

Again, no, they didn't. You are simply wrong on this. They never decrypted any wifi passwords. Unecrypted wifi packets were captured, encrypted ones were not.

I can with 100% certainty say that Google checks your email and delivers ads based on it. If I get an email from my electric company, the tech websites I visit have ads with Roanoke Electric Cooperative on them. If I get an email about a MMO, the ads change to F2P MMOs. If I get an email that I bought a case fan off Amazon every website I visit has ads about case fans.

It makes searching the internet dull and bland to see advertising for the same damn product I just bought as I certainly don't need a second one as I just bought one! I stopped using Google when I would go to random online stores and put products in my cart to fake checking out to see if they charged tax or shipping to my area. Google Chrome would fill in my information and my CC number every damn time. Pissed me off to no end.

Don't get me started where everything I type into the address bar links to Google search instead of just allowing me to go to the website I manually wanted to visit. Put Hardocp into the address bar and hit CTRL Enter in Google Chrome. It would take me to Google search results and force me to click the paid advertising link to the website. Shittiest browser ever!

I think it just makes Microsoft look bad. They are the worst hypocrites. To buy a scroogled mug you have to give MS your personal data.

Microsoft is the worst. They have been in bed with the NSA longer than anyone else.

Weird. I have never seen a chromebook "in the wild" ever. I have seen Surface and RT's, but never once a chromebook. Its funny how people harp on RT for being a "flop" selling only 900,000 units on launch. Yet in 2 years, schromebook has sold a TOTAL of 200,000, and thats including all manufacturers. These numbers are about a year old and I dont have new figures, but im sure it still looks just as bad.

Then why has Microsoft spent millions on that commercial to bash a product that's failing? Afraid that someone is going to take #1 place in worst product of the year? There's a reason for a commercial like this.

Do you have a source for this? I haven't heard of any such thing, nor can I find anything to backup your rather strong claim. When *you* search on google.com you will see *your* private information inter-mixed, but you will not see *others* private information. A data breach of that magnitude would have been front page everywhere - but I can't find a single trace of it. Given that you also misunderstood the wifi thing, I'm guessing you have just misunderstood this as well.

Again, no, they didn't. You are simply wrong on this. They never decrypted any wifi passwords. Unecrypted wifi packets were captured, encrypted ones were not.

It was on here at least twice, the first time was years ago, I tested it. I don't have a google account. Searched password on Google and was able to read people's emails where they were given temp passwords for sites. I was able to access the google docs of some charity group where they were sharing all their usernames and passwords for everything in a google doc. Seem to think the last time was earlier this year. Trying to find the articles but can't find them now.

Then why has Microsoft spent millions on that commercial to bash a product that's failing? Afraid that someone is going to take #1 place in worst product of the year? There's a reason for a commercial like this.

Same reason you wear a condom, you know, just in case...

haha, next up searching for pawn stars gets you nothing on google.

Back