Paul Walker Tribute Overtakes Gangnam Style as YouTube's Most-Watched Video

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In 2014, YouTube had to upgrade their view counter from a 32-bit integer (=2,147,483,647 views) to a 64-bit integer (9,223,372,036,854,775,808) due to the popularity of PSY’s “Gangnam Style,” but now there is a new record holder: Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth's song “See You Again” has been watched over 2,895,373,709 times, which equals a streaming time of over 21,759 years.

The South Korean megahit had been the site's most-played clip for the last five years. The surreal video became so popular that it "broke" YouTube's play counter, exceeding the maximum possible number of views (2,147,483,647), and forcing the company to rewrite its code. But the song has now been overtaken by another music video - Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth's See You Again. The heart-wrenching ballad has now been streamed 2,895,373,709 times; beating Psy's current count of 2,894,426,475 views.

oh jeez...more BS news......We all know that the youtube counter system is so flawed with ways of inflating the numbers that those numbers don't mean jack.

Bots and people leaving the auto-repeat on is what does it. Those numbers are impossible....

Given the popularity of this movie franchise, this song along with and the sentiment over Paul Walker's death while I'd have never guessed this it seems perfectly plausible.

Last edited:
oh jeez...more BS news......We all know that the youtube counter system is so flawed with ways of inflating the numbers that those numbers don't mean jack.

Bots and people leaving the auto-repeat on is what does it. Those numbers are impossible....

possible. my 4 year old for example watches the same youtube videos (kids playing roblox, or ryans toy reviews) probably a few hundred times each. at least thats what it feels like.

possible. my 4 year old for example watches the same youtube videos (kids playing roblox, or ryans toy reviews) probably a few hundred times each. at least thats what it feels like.

Haha mine too! But yeah, this is the first I've heard of this video, and it's not that good...gangnam style is way better. I stopped after like 30 seconds and watched PSY.

So what is the payout?
The big "stars" say they get about a dollar per thousand views however that was 2 years ago and I have understood that youtube has been cutting payouts more and more.

I honestly didn't think I'd see the day when Gangnam Style was displaced. At least not so soon.

Considering that the counter was broken for a while, I think that the numbers are even more stacked against gangam style.

Thank god hated gangam style.

This song always give me the feels.

If you don't understand the impact fast and furious had on young males you were either too young or too old when the first movie came out.

Or one of those people that don't like cars.

Granted I don't think they should have made the most recent one way too over the top.

Given the popularity of this movie franchise, this song along with and the sentiment over Paul Walker's death while I'd have never guessed this it seems perfectly plausible.

There's popular and there's 3 billion views popular.

Based on the box office and average ticket price for the US, domestically about 2.56 million people went to see the latest F&F movie. Using the median ticket price for China of $5 US and the foreign box office, you have 202.6 million people who went to see it. I'm going to reasonably guess that it was actually less than that.

That's 13.3 views per paying movie goer assuming every single one of them wants to watch this crap at all.

That doesn't seem realistic, so I'm guessing there is something beyond simple genuine f&f fandom contributing to those numbers.

There's popular and there's 3 billion views popular.

Based on the box office and average ticket price for the US, domestically about 2.56 million people went to see the latest F&F movie. Using the median ticket price for China of $5 US and the foreign box office, you have 202.6 million people who went to see it. I'm going to reasonably guess that it was actually less than that.

That's 13.3 views per paying movie goer assuming every single one of them wants to watch this crap at all.

That doesn't seem realistic, so I'm guessing there is something beyond simple genuine f&f fandom contributing to those numbers.
Well you have fans linking to the video in Facebook, Twitter, and forums like these, thinking non-fans will give shit. Many I'm sure look out of curiosity. And I'm sure the video has popped up as recommended on Youtube for whatever reason for many users who don't care about the movies.

Well you have fans linking to the video in Facebook, Twitter, and forums like these, thinking non-fans will give shit. Many I'm sure look out of curiosity. And I'm sure the video has popped up as recommended on Youtube for whatever reason for many users who don't care about the movies.

How about people that stream music videos using youtube playlists in a background browser tab?

I've actually discovered artists and tracks from genre playlists that people put together and post on youtube.

If you don't understand the impact fast and furious had on young males you were either too young or too old when the first movie came out.
There are literally more views on that video than there are young males on the planet.

I'm pretty sure that Despacito video will be #1 watched video in few months time, that video was just uploaded like 7 months ago and has racked up more than 2 billion views in such a short time compared to Gangnam Style and See You Again.

They're superhero movies where everyone's power is driving indestructible cars that are not bound by the laws of physics.
FTFY

Oh, and where runways are just as long as you need them to be.

my question is WTF are the used signed intergers for something than can litterally never be below 0....

my question is WTF are the used signed intergers for something than can litterally never be below 0....

First off, the language they wrote it in might not have unsigned integers. Second, sticking with normal integers avoids some nasty integer promotion and implicit cast issues that can come up. If you don't need to do bit manipulation just stick with normal integers.

First off, the language they wrote it in might not have unsigned integers. Second, sticking with normal integers avoids some nasty integer promotion and implicit cast issues that can come up. If you don't need to do bit manipulation just stick with normal integers.
TBH i didn't know singed was considered normal but that probably because im an old fart and last time i had to determine my variables type Would be in pascal and i believe unsigned was more normal then ( i might be totaly wrong).
I might be wrong here again but i also believe dealing with unsigned interger is a decent amount faster than signed interger but again that might have been fixed in todays CPU's

Back