Patriot Memory's Box Office Media Player Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Patriot Memory's Box Office Media Player Review - Looking for the perfect "enthusiast" media box for your living room? The Box Office from Patriot Memory may be about as close as it gets. The only thing not included is an eye patch and a Jolly Roger.

There are some other media playback boxes out there that do use the same Realtek RTD1073DD chipset that we find inside the PBO, but none that I am aware of have such a robust feature list at the relatively low price point. The Patriot Box Office offers a deeper feature set than any others when you start factoring in the entire package of expandability, connectivity, inputs, and outputs.

I have the PBO and the issues surrounding the network problems are worse then touched upon here.

Even when plugged in with Cat5 on a gigabit network the max throughout the PBO can muster is 28 mbit/s. Simply not enough to stream most 1080P movies.

I went to the forums and lots of people are having the same issues. It seems it is the fault of the realtek chip or maybe just maybe a firmware issue.

They are going to release a Wireless N adapter but I doubt this will alleviate the problems. If they could get the G to work at rated speeds we wouldn't need an N unless you're copying files over which is a different story.

Its a great device for what it is but I am very disappointed by its lackluster network performance. I want a light device to stream from my media server. Not to maintain a second library of movies .

I have the PBO and the issues surrounding the network problems are worse then touched upon here.

I did not touch on that at all because it was not an issue. As we linked the Patriot Forums heavily, I think people need to go decide for themselves.

I did have the PBO plugged into a Gigabit network, not a 10/100 network when I tested it. I don't think that is the issue, but figured I would mention it. My PBO streamed beautifully where I expected it to, and did where it had limited bandwidth.

And worth mentioning that your "first library of movies" must not be capable of playing them or you would not have a second. ;)

Also, please give links to others having the specific issue so our readers can follow this up for themselves more easily. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have been looking for a device that will play a large number of formats. Aside from the network issue, it appears this may be the device to handle the multitude of files I possess.

How easy is it to remove the cover for installation of a HD(I have a WD Scorpio Blue)?

Very good article.

Thank you for the diversity.

Great article. I was interested in these when you guys first started running their ads.

As far as putting your own drive in the device:
-How easy was it to disassemble? and,
-Did the device have to do any formattingor directory/file creation or could you pre-load content onto a drive and then just install it?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Oops, looks like you already answered the first question.

Great article. I was interested in these when you guys first started running their ads.

As far as putting your own drive in the device:
-Did the device have to do any formattingor directory/file creation or could you pre-load content onto a drive and then just install it?

We first advertised Patriot Memory products on 09/01/09.

When you install a new hard drive to the PBO you will have to format the drive while in the PBO. I tried otherwise with the latest firmware and it did not work.

Does this have composite or s-video out? I'm looking for something to stream movies to my bedroom, 32" SD. I just get tired of shrinking and burning my HD encodes to dvd just to watch in bed.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Does this have composite or s-video out? I'm looking for something to stream movies to my bedroom, 32" SD. I just get tired of shrinking and burning my HD encodes to dvd just to watch in bed.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Just because I would not actually want you to RTFA. :)

12614216931eFJXNazbc_1_10_l.jpg

Last edited:
** NONE ** of these devices are for the non-enthusiast types. The Western Digital media players seem to be the best of the lot (just don't update the firmware on the WD TV Live) but none of them are really great. Anything with a network port doesn't seem to work well if you're not connecting to a Windows XP share (raise your hand if you're not on Win 7 yet).

I've dealt with the Patriot/WD/Seagate/Mvix/ASUS/generic Chinese things and don't really like any of them. They're just not ready yet, but am willing to forgive the half-assed implementations because they are the 2010 target for the MPAA.

... (raise your hand if you're not on Win 7 yet).

Raises hand...

Does the PBO play DVD VIDEO_TS folders properly? Many of my DVDs are ripped directly to files rather than ISO. Just wondering if this device can open and play a DVD folder.

Thanks for the review!!! I hope more of these reviews will follow… Personally I use my Xbox360 and PS3 as my media extenders, however they both lack support for certain file formats(something easily fixed just lengthy) and something like this may someday fill the gap.

The network specs/speeds are a disappointing though 10/100? No gigabit? I don’t understand why network speed would be lacking in a device used specifically over the network, seems foolish… I need a remote that’s radio and or doesn’t need to be point and shoot to work. Other piece would be the software why would they sell this device with lazy software? Seems like this device isn’t ready for prime time…. Do they advertise this device to enthusiasts only? Only thing I see going for it is file support and price, was that worth a gold rating?

I gotta say I never expected a review from [H]. Actually I was going to e-mail kyle requesting for a review of it, but I thought it was out of [H] scope.

So thanks for a very informative and high quality review.

A note about WiFi. There are a number of wireless adapters that do work with the PBO, even some 802.11 N models. So its worth a try. Now since amazon bundles the adapter free, then its a no brainer.

Is there anything that differentiates this from the WDTV Live! device? It sounds like basically the same device.

when u say DTS (Not Pass Through)

is it optical cable to receiver to decode it?

nice article.

Is there anything that differentiates this from the WDTV Live! device? It sounds like basically the same device.

well aside from the drive bay and the interface they are pretty much the same.

Thanks for the review!!! I hope more of these reviews will follow… Personally I use my Xbox360 and PS3 as my media extenders, however they both lack support for certain file formats(something easily fixed just lengthy) and something like this may someday fill the gap.

The network specs/speeds are a disappointing though 10/100? No gigabit? I don’t understand why network speed would be lacking in a device used specifically over the network, seems foolish… I need a remote that’s radio and or doesn’t need to be point and shoot to work. Other piece would be the software why would they sell this device with lazy software? Seems like this device isn’t ready for prime time…. Do they advertise this device to enthusiasts only? Only thing I see going for it is file support and price, was that worth a gold rating?

to be fair the WD live, the Asus O! play and the seagate freeagent share the same deficiencies. IMO the PBO is the best bang for the buck. (but far from perfect)

to be fair the WD live, the Asus O! play and the seagate freeagent share the same deficiencies. IMO the PBO is the best bang for the buck. (but far from perfect)

One of the few reason why I am keeping my current solutions, those listed offer nothing better in terms of price/performance and if I really wanted to it would take two hubs(network/hdmi) in order to get my PC next to my Tv or I drop my PS3 hehe.

While I don't have a Patriot Box Office, after having two media extenders, I will tell folks that if you want to do HD media, you're best off having a wired connection. It doesn't have to be gigabit (my connection is 100Mbps) but 802.11g can be stuttery with HD, especially if your wifi bandwidth is shared or a playback device doesn't have a great buffering solution. I'm sure 802.11N is better, but it may once again depend on how much bandwidth is being used by other wireless devices in your home.

The Patriot looks like a good solution, if they are keeping up with firmware. I'd love to see ]H[ardOCP review more extenders/content streamers. I went from a D-Link DSM-520 to the new Popcorn Hour C-200, and while the devices are still best used by hardware enthusiasts, they are getting better all the time.

Last edited:
Actually my nephew did it :D:D

I don't see the point of having USB 3.0, I'd rather have gigabit and 802.11n
Another option would be to replace the mini-USB connector on the back with eSATA.

If you want 802.11N, consider using the product I'm using in another part of my house --it works great.

BuffaloTech Wireless-N converter

Basically a 4-port 10/100 switch with an 802.11N bridge in it. Perfect for home theater setups that use multiple NICs (e.g., DVR, media extender, Blu-Ray 3.0 player, video game console or HTPC)

How well does this unit scroll through folders with large numbers of files? Does the scrolling speed accelerate so it's not mind-numbingly painful to find a movie in the "S"s if you have more than a hundred files in a single folder? My buddy has a Popcorn hour and this is his #1 complaint about it.

Does the PBO play DVD VIDEO_TS folders properly? Many of my DVDs are ripped directly to files rather than ISO. Just wondering if this device can open and play a DVD folder.

It will not mount a folder, but it will play a DVD's ripped .vob file as specified on page 1.

Yes, basically the same. Not sure if you can put a wireless adapter into the WDTV box. Anyone?

when u say DTS (Not Pass Through)

is it optical cable to receiver to decode it?

nice article.

Yes, toslink.

Another option would be to replace the mini-USB connector on the back with eSATA.

If you want 802.11N, consider using the product I'm using in another part of my house --it works great.[/URL]

USB 3.0 will likely be onboard before SATA III and with single drives, USB 3.0 is just as fast.

I did link a thread in the article that talks about wireless adapters that will work with the PBO. I would check that out before buying any.

How well does this unit scroll through folders with large numbers of files? Does the scrolling speed accelerate so it's not mind-numbingly painful to find a movie in the "S"s if you have more than a hundred files in a single folder? My buddy has a Popcorn hour and this is his #1 complaint about it.

I would suggest this one is just as bad. It is not built for huge directories. We have talked to Patriot about this, it is aware of the issue, and we hope to see better searching and navigation on future GUIs but no promises are being made at this time. The GUI is simply not user friendly in this respect. Scrolling through Hulu files via TVersity is painful....the rest is fairly responsive, but if you have hundreds + files in a single directory, you are going to be there for a while.

If you want 802.11N, consider using the product I'm using in another part of my house --it works great.

BuffaloTech Wireless-N converter

Basically a 4-port 10/100 switch with an 802.11N bridge in it. Perfect for home theater setups that use multiple NICs (e.g., DVR, media extender, Blu-Ray 3.0 player, video game console or HTPC)

USB 2.0 bandwidth is not a problem with any extender, so neither eSATA nor USB 3.0 are necessary, but in the future this might change.

USB 2.0 bandwidth is not a problem with any extender, so neither eSATA nor USB 3.0 are necessary, but in the future this might change.

I used the device under several scenarios, one in which I had it connected to nothing and used a USB external drive to get content to the box. So while I think you are fully correct, if you are going to be dumping content to the box via an external drive or moving the box around to put content on it, USB 3.0 would be much preferred.

As we pointed out in the article, we had no issue playing any content from an attached USB 2.0 external drive. Plenty of bandwidth there.

I agree with you as far as USB devices go. Note if you check the link to the product I mentioned, that it's basically a network switch though, so it's compatible with any RJ-45 device. You connect up to four devices to it, and it uses its own wireless bridge to go to any WAP you might own. It's a lot easier than dealing with compatibility lists, and if you have multiple wired network devices in your home theater, you only have to buy one adapter to work with four devices; it will provide seamless WiFi for them all.

What WAP are you using with this device and what kind of actual transfer speeds do you get? I think I would like to give this a try.

I'm hoping for a Tegra based media player, the realtek based really don't have the power to drive a GUI like the Zune or the iphone.

I don't see this happening in a player of this kind without it being locked down with DRM of some kind as its primary mode of usage. :(

I have had my PBO for a few weeks now. I was using an Xbox360 for my media streaming in the living room and bought the PBO for the bedroom. My 360 has since RRoD'd twice (I reflowed the solder already, I will do it again) A few comments from me, if anyone is considering buying this.

The Bad:

1.) Kyle is right. The fan is obnoxious, as in very high pitch whine. I'm waiting for Patriot to answer me back to see if they are still sending out replacement fans. I have a 360GB SATA drive in mine, so I don't want to go without fan.

2.) The GUI is slow. It tries to verify the details of each file as you're scrolling through them. Over wireless, this is a slow tedious process. It also seems to check the network speed with each file, which gives a great green OSD overlay at the top left. Annoying.

3.) The GUI is utterly horrible. It's just a directory viewer.

4.) It will stream DIVX 720p or lower over wifi with no problem. High def, won't work. DVD iso's over wifi is almost unresponsive, but once it's playing, it's fine. just don't plan on using the remote for anything.

The Good:
1.) I haven't found anything that it WON'T play. I haven't tried BluRay rips yet and haven't updated to the newest Beta firmware, but aside from that, it plays everything in my library.

2.) Video quality is great. Better than the xbox360 upscaling.

3.) audio over HDMI works great, especially if you're just looking to plug it into a smaller LCD in the bedroom. Single cable.

4.) It's tiny (this can be a good and a bad thing).

5.) Low power, if you care. I don't. This thing is currently hooked up to my 50" plasma, while a 250W metal halide bulb burns over my reef tank to the right. I'm so "green". LOL

Overall:

I ordered from Amazon, which shipped with the Wifi dongle for free. No tax, free shipping, $30 rebate, comes just under $100. I own a LOT of media players, that date back pretty far now. The 360 was my device of choice for the last year, but the PBO has replaced it. Once you're playing video, it's a neat little device.

Bonus:
It runs linux. There are already people (some on the Patriot forums, linked to already by Kyle) that are adding functionality. It's a tedious process (I'm looking into it myself) as Patriot has yet to release the open source code they used (there is a lawsuit over this already). Someone posted up the config file to have the PBO samba share OUT (act as a NAS). It's only a matter of time before the community starts hacking away at the GUI.

Just where do you get "uncompressed" DVDs? :)

No support for VC1 in MKV containers?

How does it handle interlaced content? That's where these things always fall over, and if I want to consumer stuff from my DVR it has to handle 480i and 1080i content. Cheese-ball bob deinterlace and lack of inverse telecine is a no-starter.

Just where do you get "uncompressed" DVDs? :)

No support for VC1 in MKV containers?

How does it handle interlaced content? That's where these things always fall over, and if I want to consumer stuff from my DVR it has to handle 480i and 1080i content. Cheese-ball bob deinterlace and lack of inverse telecine is a no-starter.

I get it from the multiple DVDs that I own. I am referring to .vob files.

I found no issues with any MKV files.

Interlaced content? That still exists? That is kinda like riding a horse on the bus ain't it?

A lot of dvd's are interlaced. There's the whole "CableTV maxes out at 1080i" issue, so a lot of HDTV rips are interlace (I believe). Deinterlacing is a pretty valid issue, though it might be tough to know if the unit is doing the deinterlacing as opposed to the tv.

Can't recall if you guys have reviewed the WDTV Live yet.

How would you say it compares if you know enough to comment?

I have one and so far, I absolutely love it. Have it networked using a $30 refurbished wireless N adapter and I have no issues streaming 1080p mkv's etc. I will admit they are compressed to 15gb or less, but I have no issues accessing the 5tbs I have upstairs, the iMac across the room, my laptop, or of course the 1.5tb USB I have sitting next to it. Runs playon fine as well.

Would be interested if more who know the 2 can comment. Or I guess I could get off my butt and wander over to AVSforums and take a gander. This is the link to their thread on it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1188182 if anyone is interested.

... I have no issues streaming 1080p mkv's etc. I will admit they are compressed to 15gb or less, but I have no issues accessing the 5tbs I have upstairs...

Can the WDTV Live play back Bluray ISOs? That's a big selling point for me.

Gigabit network needs to be *standard* fare on these things these days. No honest excuse to not have it. If they take better advantage of the network transfer speeds, large Blu-Ray rips will be less painful to transfer.

Thanks Kyle for a thorough review.

May be I can be of assist of answering some questions....

Blu-Ray ISO
yes new firmware supports Blu-Ray ISO. However only movie play back, no navigation menu yet.

Wireless connectivity concerns
Any thing over 10GB in file size, I would recommend either use a land line or wireless N for streaming. Wireless G just doesn't cut it for large file play back. If you throw in fast forward/ backward, you will be in for some lag.

Fan noise concern
We've had a small batch with fan noise, caused by dried lubing between the axle. Some customers choose to lubricate it themselves, and for others we did send out replacement fans. During normal operations, The internal fan shouldn't be audible 1 feet away.

If there is any questions, feel free to let us know.

Reading the review now. This will play back h.264 in MKV containers no problem, yeah? I have 3TB of 1080p movies in this format.

This sounds almost perfect, can it do the Netflix downloads as well? Great article Kyle.

well you only have to ask :)...

you can purchase the unit with free wifi from amazon until end of this month. For some highly taxed states, I would suggest that route for the obvious tax benefit.

A lot of dvd's are interlaced. There's the whole "CableTV maxes out at 1080i" issue, so a lot of HDTV rips are interlace (I believe). Deinterlacing is a pretty valid issue, though it might be tough to know if the unit is doing the deinterlacing as opposed to the tv.

Roger that, missed the mark on my answer. I have the box doing the scaling, not the TV. Beautiful.

Can't recall if you guys have reviewed the WDTV Live yet.
<snip>

Would be interested if more who know the 2 can comment. Or I guess I could get off my butt and wander over to AVSforums and take a gander. This is the link to their thread on it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1188182 if anyone is interested.

No we have not taken a look at it. Sorry. WD gives us shitty support. We have asked for all sorts of help over the last couple of years and WD says yes, but we never get the goods to cover. So WD is sort of on my shitlist for right now in that I am not going to spend a lot of our resources to cover its products when there is plenty of other work to be done. :(

Gigabit network needs to be *standard* fare on these things these days. No honest excuse to not have it. If they take better advantage of the network transfer speeds, large Blu-Ray rips will be less painful to transfer.

Agreed. I think 10/100 is used to keep the cost down.

Can the WDTV Live play back Bluray ISOs? That's a big selling point for me.

Looking at the WD site I do not see this being supported.

And some asked above...yes, you can play Blu-ray rips easily but you cannot mount the ISO yet like you can a DVD and have it be fully functional. Jack hit on that coming possibly though.

Back