Patriot DDR667 XPS700 Bad results

cmacclel

Limp Gawd
My XPS700 came with 1gb of Nanya DDR667. I can overclock to a 300mhz bus and the system is stable. Since I heard that these ship with crappy ram I picked up a 2gb set of the patriot memory that everyone is loving for the price and overclockability. Bad thing is I can't even get to 300mhz with it. I guess I might of got a BUM set of mem sticks or the XPS700 is picky.

Mac

fsb != memory speed ;)

what is the memory ratio at? and the timings? voltage? how do you know it's the ram limiting you? :p

The memory ratio is at 4/5 and I cannot change it with the Dell system. How do I know it's the ram? What else would it be if the Nanya sticks that came with the machine run at 300mhz FSB stable then without changing anything I install the Partiot memory and the machine crashes at 290Mhz FSB.

Mac

I'm not familiar with the XPS system you have......however if your raising the FSB your also raising the CPU speed........what mobo is in this system? Could be a lot of things.

Chris Lakies said:
I'm not familiar with the XPS system you have......however if your raising the FSB your also raising the CPU speed........what mobo is in this system? Could be a lot of things.

It has a Dell motherboard with the 590SLI chipset. I have overlclocked my systems since the Celeron 300A and I know there are TONS of variables in overclocking but in this situation my statement is the Patriot Memery is worse than the factory Nanya memory Dell included with the system.

Mac

It's a brand new machine there is not much info on it yet. It came with 1.8v DDR667 and thats the same spec as the patriot memory.

Mac

I just got them memory and it was a little rocky at first. Did you change the voltage settings? What about the timings?

cmacclel said:
My XPS700 came with 1gb of Nanya DDR667. I can overclock to a 300mhz bus and the system is stable. Since I heard that these ship with crappy ram I picked up a 2gb set of the patriot memory that everyone is loving for the price and overclockability. Bad thing is I can't even get to 300mhz with it. I guess I might of got a BUM set of mem sticks or the XPS700 is picky.

Mac

Hey, I too am waitng to recieve my XPS 700. Any chance you can post some pics of your system. Oh and I read on the Dell forums that some people are running DDR2 800 memory in their 700s you might want to look into that.

I have 2gb of DDR533 Micron memory in it now and it fine. At stock clocks it has the fastest bandwidth of the 3 memories I've tried.It's a pretty nice machine though a TAD BIG & HEAVY :) Slightly overclocked I score 8000 in 3dMark06 with 2 7900gs's

Mac

Back