Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

About ten hours in and enjoying it a lot. I really really like that I can switch between turn based combat and real time with pause. I've always had a slight preference for turn based but that never stopped me from enjoying real time with pause games. Being able to switch between them with a button is awesome.

I'm almost through the first act and although this was the most polished part of the beta it feels much better. Someone on their forum mentioned how it's unbelievable how much progress was made between the last beta and release in terms of features and bugfixes and I can see what they mean. There was some fear going into release that it wouldn't be much better than the beta and was shaping up to be another kingmaker style release; I can't say yet for the latter part of the game but it is definitely much better than kingmaker on release in terms of bugs. UI, spells, scroll icons etc are all really well-done too.

20210909003209_1.jpg

Like how they improved character movement seems less floaty opening scene is pretty cool but then you end up in a cave afterwards.

Might pick this up on sale at some point. Gave it a shot (cleared everything on the map that I could right before going to the garrison) and I gotta say the sorest spot is the party companions. Not a single likeable one yet.

Might pick this up on sale at some point. Gave it a shot (cleared everything on the map that I could right before going to the garrison) and I gotta say the sorest spot is the party companions. Not a single likeable one yet.
Yeah, I watched a reviewer say something similar. I like some of them but I had to kill a couple of the early ones. The paladin's voice actor is awful and I couldn't stand her. Unfortunately they resurrected the character after I let her die (in the beta she stayed dead) and I had to get rid of her twice.

Yeah, I watched a reviewer say something similar. I like some of them but I had to kill a couple of the early ones. The paladin's voice actor is awful and I couldn't stand her. Unfortunately they resurrected the character after I let her die (in the beta she stayed dead) and I had to get rid of her twice.
It's not a good sign where I don't even want to talk to them at the tavern and only do so to quickly exhaust the conversation choices, lol. "Why did you become a paladin? Yeah, yeah okay" space space space.

It's not a good sign where I don't even want to talk to them at the tavern and only do so to quickly exhaust the conversation choices, lol. "Why did you become a paladin? Yeah, yeah okay" space space space.
I wish you could space space space with co-workers and customer support agents

So I'm mostly through Act III and the next act I figure won't change much, so here's my experiences with the game so far:

1.) Companions - Like others have mentioned, some of them can grate on your nerves. Their sidequests I think are actually well-done in a sense. Every act you do more quests with them and you get to progress through whatever their issue is. It's not like 3 of them have fully fleshed out personalities and sidequests and a couple of the other sidekicks just have one token quest. However, some of their personalities are kind of boring while other characters you meet in the story could've been better companions. I don't really mind the ones I've kept, but the voice acting is overall pretty poor and there's not a lot of replayability in terms of your interactions. If the BG series companions are an A+ then in this game they're a B-

2.) Kingdom Management / Crusading - For people that hated this in the first game rejoice. There's still simcity building in cities but the pressure is gone and it's really just to build up your armies however you want. I've been at -100 morale for weeks and have had no real problems. The crusading mini-game is much more fleshed out than in the beta and I actually really enjoy it.

3.) Combat - Generally very similar to the first beta so far but more polished. You still see the same type fights as before, but some things that didn't logically make sense have been fixed. Effects and such during cutscenes before fights are also much better.

4.) Gameplay Mechanics, UI - Much better than the beta. It feels like it's a year's worth of work put into this, and most importantly, it was all in the right direction. The game is still extremely complicated but does a very good job of walking new players through it. If you're new to cRPGs this is probably the best game to start with if you have no idea what anything means or does. On the other hand, the combat can be much more difficult than other games so you might want to play on easy settings. I don't play in turn-based mode but that seems well-done. Although the balancing might be more around RTWP, it's not the type of game where you just autoattack through all the encounters. The tooltips aren't exactly bugged but are kinda big / annoying so make sure to use Y to turn off enemy inspect if you don't want it. The delay might need to be increased as well in the default settings because sometimes a quick mouseover on a spell by mistake will popup the spell description when you're trying to switch characters.

5.) Story - I've never really heard about pathfinder until the first game so I knew nothing going in. I enjoy the storyline for the most part. It's all very straightforward what's going on and there's not a lot of ambiguity in what needs to be done. That being said, I don't know if this game will have strong replayability because of this.

6.) Bugs - Much less buggy than kingmaker on release and I think it's a good release. Which is amazing because the beta had a lot of bugs in the latter half. I've run into a few bugs: 1.) Character movement speed became super slow (space + v, etc. didn't fix it, reloading, rebooting, etc. didn't work. Had to move to another zone and then it got fixed). 2.) Resurrecting a dead character in town caused them to turn into a T and they wouldn't cast/do anything. Restarting the game fixed it. 3.) My kingdom morale got bugged I think. You have morale shields for battle, conquering enemy forts, and losing your forts. I lost one of my forts and recaptured it but that stayed red forever so my morale went to -100. It fixed itself much later but pretty much ruined my income. Still wasn't a huge deal because my main army was able to kill everything anyway. Overall it has been a surprisingly bug-free experience. I was nervous going into it but have had a good experience so far.

7.) Mythic paths - This probably deserves its own section. I'm surprised at the depth of these. It's like a completely separate leveling tree and is really fun. I've tried lich and aeon so far and both made the playthroughs unique. So while the storyline was pretty one-dimensions (if good imo), the mythic paths really change how you interact in different settings and can completely change how your character is played.

Great, apparently the latest patch breaks some stuff in Act IV. I'm in that act right now so I might pause for a bit just in case. Ran into another random bug but was able to fix it with toybox mod (you have to talk to like 15 different NPCs and I had pissed off 1 of the 15 so he wouldn't talk to me anymore and I couldn't complete that sidequest. Open for interpretation if this is a bug or not though).

Been going through Steam looking for RPGs for a new PC I'm building, I haven't gamed in so long.

Sounds like I need to place this at the top of my wish list, yes?

Been going through Steam looking for RPGs for a new PC I'm building, I haven't gamed in so long.

If you're into JRPGs, I'd say Tales of Arise is quite a bit more fun.

Reactions: Tobit
like this

I'd try pathfinder kingmaker , most bugs fixed in that game...

pathfinder wrath of the righteous still has many bugs to fix/workout..

Console edition​

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition will come out September 29, 2022 for PS4, XOne (there will be digital and boxed editions) and Switch (cloud version only). As part of backward compatibility, the title will also be playable on PS5 and XSX/S. This edition will be the only one available on consoles - while on PC it will replace the standard edition, whose owners can count on a free upgrade.

Next week maybe for the Enhanced Edition I haven't played this for the past year due to not having controller support but I'm pretty sure it's coming next week Thursday.

1fb7041fd313e2881d503b1d19322f041f183a97.png

Important news, Pathfinders!

Next tuesday, September 27, we will be holding an AMA (Ask-Me-Anything) session on our subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/OwlcatGames/, devoted to the upcoming release of Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Enhanced Edition!

Join us at
17:00 CEST/18:00 MSK/11 A.M. EDT/8 A.M. PDT
and ask any questions about Pathfinder from the Community Management team and the following mythic Owlcat devs:

• Alexander Mishulin, Owlcat Games Creative Director
  • Arseniy Krymov, Pathfinder team Lead Narrative Designer
  • Ilya Kiselev, Pathfinder team Creative Director
  • Artem Safonov, Pathfinder team Lead Level Designer

See you soon!

I only played about a half hour of this so far, but should I change my mindset going into it? I assumed it was like a DOS2 type of game.

I only played about a half hour of this so far, but should I change my mindset going into it? I assumed it was like a DOS2 type of game.
Yes, it's more like a Pillars of Eternity or a Baldur's Gate type game. It's real-time with pause instead of turn-based (there is a turn-based mode you can turn on though). The pathfinder universe also seems to be designed for people who thought the early d&d rulesets were too simple and needed to be complicated a bit more, so if you like that complexity it has a lot of depth, but if you like 5th edition d&d you'll probably go crazy.

On the 28th there will be support but you need to redownload the Enhanced Edition. I didn't want to be hunched over the keyboard and mouse for 100 hours so I waited a year.

Important news, Pathfinders!

Next tuesday, September 27, we will be holding an AMA (Ask-Me-Anything) session on our subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/OwlcatGames/ , devoted to the upcoming release of Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Enhanced Edition!

Join us at
17:00 CEST/18:00 MSK/11 A.M. EDT/8 A.M. PDT
and ask any questions about Pathfinder from the Community Management team and the following mythic Owlcat devs:

• Alexander Mishulin, Owlcat Games Creative Director
  • Arseniy Krymov, Pathfinder team Lead Narrative Designer
  • Ilya Kiselev, Pathfinder team Creative Director
  • Artem Safonov, Pathfinder team Lead Level Designer

See you soon!

Last edited:
I have been playing this game for the last few months and am really in awe of how long it is and that I have not grown tired of it. I am at 170 hours and just started act 5. Just a fantastic game.

If you are the type to replay games this one has a lot of replay potential with the mythic paths.
I got a bit tired of it after playing three characters on release. I'm now playing a fourth and have a fifth planned.
I used to replay Baldur's Gate every couple years. I see this game being a replacement for that.

How complex is the combat in this? I am a few hours into pillars of eternity 2 dead fire Which looks to be the similar game, and think that the combat is perhaps a little too complicated and full of micromanagement for me to enjoy.. Lots of pausing to manage the various attacks and such for each party member. If this game is similar I'll probably give it a skip.

How complex is the combat in this? I am a few hours into pillars of eternity 2 dead fire Which looks to be the similar game, and think that the combat is perhaps a little too complicated and full of micromanagement for me to enjoy.. Lots of pausing to manage the various attacks and such for each party member. If this game is similar I'll probably give it a skip.
I think it's very similar to PoE mechanically, but the fights can be kinda OP (Fits the theme imo)

You can turn down the difficulty during the game and can fine tune things if it is too easy or too hard.
It is very customizable. You could make the mobs hit for less, crit less for example, use more spells, etc.

Since you can do Turn Based combat the game is really nice when it was Pause based combat I would get Steamrolled by the Hill in Pathfinder Kingmaker. The story is better than POE not as Vague the 1st game's story was nice anyway you can summon or Morph into Dinosaurs in this game. You had your own Kingdom in Pathfinder Kingmaker which made it interesting kept on skipping days.

20221019072336_1.jpg

Items?

20221019071102_1.jpg

This Boss was optional but wasn't hard at all on Normal

Started playing with Keyboard and Mouse since the controller is too confusing I'm having a much easier time.
The ammount of precison in the game for items and special just isn't for the controller because you have to toggle
cursor arrow with the controller to click on stuff. Playing Turn Based it's the only way to go.

I wanted better portrait art so I had this made. Turned out a little too anime-ish for my taste but figured I'd share it anyway. Comixbooks, do you know if there's any way to buy the season passes on GOG?

Attachments

• コミッションアルシャレー final arueshalae.png
    コミッションアルシャレー final arueshalae.png
    4 MB · Views: 0
Lords of Nothing just dropped today I really need to start playing this game before Rouge Trader hits which is like two weeks.

Back