Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Andrew_Carr

2[H]4U
Just thought I'd shill a game I've been playing a lot of lately. It's still in beta with a release slated for summertime so it's not out quite yet, but here are my impressions:

Background: Pathfinder WOTR is a cRPG like Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity, etc. based on the pathfinder world. The mechanics, races, classes, etc. are very similar to D&D 3.5e, but the lore / locations are all different. In this game you fight in a crusade against demons. A rift has been opened between the demon world and yours and they've been pouring in and trying to conquer the world for the last 100 years or so, steadily gaining ground.

Gameplay & Mechanics: The gameplay is very similar to their last game but with the addition of mythic levels. These are really cool and add to the depth IMO and also fit the story as well. Otherwise it's a standard 6 party RPG game. The amount of class and race combinations is staggering though, so if you always wanted to play some oddball ("unique") class/race combination, this is probably the best game I've seen to cover most anything you could think of. The camera rotation feature they added is really nice after you get used to it. Overall from a game mechanics and depth perspective I really think it hits the mark here. There's paths for almost everyone and everything is pretty solid. I wouldn't say it plays drastically differently than BG2 or PoE and it's pretty much the same as the previous Pathfinder game, which is a good thing to me, since it seems like they've kept what works and added to it. Turn-based mode is an option.

Kingdom management, something I thought had potential but was implemented poorly in Pathfinder Kingmaker, is totally revamped and now it's mostly about army management so far. This is a neat idea, fits with the story, and provides a nice break from some of the battles you do as a player character. It's much better than the kingdom management in the first game, but it still needs to be fleshed out.

Story and lore: To me, the first game (Kingmaker) had a more unique storyline, but despite this game being based around a more common scenario I think it's done better. Even when you're slogging through dungeons and dying to the same fight for an hour in a row, it somehow fits the theme that you're up against an implacable enemy horde of demons. The main questline seems to be pretty good, but there aren't a lot of sidequests aside from companion quests. But it looks like there might be a lot of variations on the main quest which would be nice.

Bugs & Polishing: Sadly(?) I think this beta in its current state is less buggy than their Kingmaker release. As the game progresses the final acts are incomplete, but until that point it's surprisingly polished. I expected a lot worse but it's entirely playable, with some caveats. I expect that on release it will still have some bugs but it will probably be a lot smoother than their last release.

Characters / Companions: I think some are well done, others are awful and you should let them die at the first opportunity so you never have to deal with them again (Seelah). When the full game comes out I plan on removing her voice lines from the game files somehow. If you go evil or good paths though you should have just enough to choose from though.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised. I've been burned by so many games recently that I haven't been gaming as much. This game looks to be mostly an improvement on their previous game, which although I enjoyed it, was a buggy mess for a lot of people when it was released. If you didn't like Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity, or the first Pathfinder game, then you probably won't like this because the gameplay mechanics haven't really changed much. But if you enjoyed those, I think you're in for a pretty solid RPG soon.

Glad to hear kingdom management is improved. Majority of the time I play through a game with no mods then play again with mods. But the kingdom management and the map navigation speed in the first game were painful enough that I went looking for mods after a few days playing.

I got like 60 hours in the 1st game is there a release date scheduled Steam EA or something like that? I should of backed this game up but after waiting 8 years for Camelot Unchained I gave up.

Last edited:
just started 3rd act in pathfinder kingmaker.... good game and will get pathfinder wotr.

question to anyone about wotr game.... how are the maps ? is there mapping ?
can you edit your own text on map area ? Something I wish the allowed in kingmaker

thanks

It looks like a June release date. The early access process is kind of convoluted. If you weren't a backer you have to pay double the retail price on their website, get a steam/GOG key, and then activate that key and it'll show in steam to download. The current build is from early February so it's a couple months behind whatever their current build is.

Kingdom management is improved in the sense that it seems to be almost wholly removed. They still have the same worldmap with cities and stuff, but you're not playing sim city anymore. There are references in quests to building some specific buildings, but I don't think that's implemented. Movement on the world map is the same speed (slow) and they've added a rest penalty feature which can be annoying when traveling far from your base. I get the intent and everything, but I wish it only applied after you entered an area.

I don't think you can edit maps to add comments or anything. I agree that would be a useful feature in some areas where there's 5 or 10 clue objects you have to visit that aren't marked by default.

The 1st game the puzzles are so damn hard at time basically looking for a tutorial for every dungeon.

Old trailer from 4 months ago but just read in PC gamer all if the backgrounds are 3D instead of prerendered. Not sure if that will make the game look better maybe it just makes it more alive with foliage trees ect.. The main problem I have with these games the characters move in sync which distracts from believability. Like a marching band..

I liked the first one: with mods. I don’t like time limits on activities so I removed them.

Also, I wish they’d release a map/adventure tool like Neverwinter Nights so the community could create custom modules.

Click to move the 1st game is Amazing I have 60+ hours in it which is rare for any game.
Controller support is suppose to be added later on. I just bought the Mystic edtion includes DLC alot of coin I really wanted this game.
WASD keys are used to show the terrain off for tactical combat and discovery.

Click to move the 1st game is Amazing I have 60+ hours in it which is rare for any game.
Controller support is suppose to be added later on. I just bought the Mystic edtion includes DLC alot of coin I really wanted this game.
WASD keys are used to show the terrain off for tactical combat and discovery.

Thanks, if this game is click to move then its a buy. I just prefer it for all ARPG, ala Diablo, Grim Dawn, etc...

Just a head's up, but people are reporting a lot more bugs in the latest beta that allows access to the later chapters. I played until the end of act 3 earlier this year and while it was buggy, it was generally better than the first game upon release (not saying much) and the only bugs I ran into (while major) were pretty obvious and seemed like things that would've gotten fixed prior to release. It seems like chapters 4 and 5 aren't as polished though and based on that and them only having about a month left until their september release target date I think this might be another case of a game where it'll be amazing... after a few rounds of bugfixing. So I'd be cautious about pre-ordering and wait and see. Gameplay-wise though I enjoyed it so I think it'll be pretty good if you like cRPGs and wait until (if) it's bugfixed.

Last edited:
Thanks, if this game is click to move then its a buy. I just prefer it for all ARPG, ala Diablo, Grim Dawn, etc...
this isn't an arpg, its a crpg along the lines of Baldurs Gate and Baldurs Gate 2.

LOL I'm done with this series I got to a point where you go in this Tomb and well I can't advace and I'm playing on Story Mode too.
These Flaying nightmare demons are immune to melee hits I have no idea what buffs to use I don't think I'm under leveled for Story Mode.
Refunded Path of the Righteous spent 4-5 hours trying to get past these guys. This game is too much of a chore for me to care about it. The game started out great after the game and some of the puzzles are too confusing for the average user the reason why they have an entire Wikipedia on the game. I could use a trainer and one hit everything I suppose but that would really take the fun out of it which isn't much fun to begin with.

I refunded Wrath of the Righteous I might pick up the base game but no way am I paying 99.00 for the deluxe version.
The new game looks too gaudy and unrealistic for me to care about cause I watched a few minutes of the Stream I think Baldurs Gate 3 will be more up to my speed when that game finally comes out.

LOL I'm done with this series I got to a point where you go in this Tomb and well I can't advace and I'm playing on Story Mode too.
These Flaying nightmare demons are immune to melee hits I have no idea what buffs to use I don't think I'm under leveled for Story Mode.
Refunded Path of the Righteous spent 4-5 hours trying to get past these guys. This game is too much of a chore for me to care about it. The game started out great after the game and some of the puzzles are too confusing for the average user the reason why they have an entire Wikipedia on the game. I could use a trainer and one hit everything I suppose but that would really take the fun out of it which isn't much fun to begin with.

I refunded Wrath of the Righteous I might pick up the base game but no way am I paying 99.00 for the deluxe version.
The new game looks too gaudy and unrealistic for me to care about cause I watched a few minutes of the Stream I think Baldurs Gate 3 will be more up to my speed when that game finally comes out.

are you seriously running an all melee party with no spell casters and zero magical weapons?

Wraiths, Wrights and specters need to be attacked with either magical weapons or magic, plus there is a farm area in Pathfinder that you can atumble on early game that is meant to be a mid/late game zone unless you know your DnD.

Get gud, pathfinder is far from hard unless you refuse to treat it like DnD and insist it be a standard mash to win game.

Also you have a codex in game that will at least tell you what your fighting, good place to start if your having trouble.

I have two spellcasters one is a cletic would have to travel back to my camp to puck up some other npcs that can cast spells. I guess the DLC has a female spellcaster that would help. I just hate backtracking since there is no fast travel.

I have two spellcasters one is a cletic would have to travel back to my camp to puck up some other npcs that can cast spells. I guess the DLC has a female spellcaster that would help.
its not a dlc problem its a you problem, find out what you are fighting instead of just mashing and crying. next check the ingame codex, if you still need help google or wiki that monster.

You seem to play at least some games without refunding them, surely this isn't new to you.

I finally got past the part that was giving me trouble in the Quest: A lost Relic in the Tomb the battles involves chars. in your party that the specific mob is attuned to so your other characters can't attack that mob just the ones the Crow nammed out earlier in the dungeon. Took me a while to figure out had to Youtube a video on it even the person playing in the video didn't know what was going on. So I buffed my weak characters and beat the x3 Soul Eaters down then x5 spawn after that but the whole party can jump in after that. The problem was you can't exit the dungeon and I didn't have a save it wouldn't of done me any good.

The Turn based aspect of Pathfinder Kingmaker I is a real treat the pause fuction that had at launch sucked for pacing fights.
I'm using a controller as well for the Enhanced Editon the menus are easier to navigate then a Keyboard and mouse if you ask me.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20210825-134500_YouTube.jpg

almost done with first playthrough of Pathfinder kingmaker... over 300 hours ( turn based combat) ! Really enjoying it, at the end.

I hope this game PWotR is just as good .... will wait for reviews....

I must have spent a good 40 hours over the last few weeks watching various channels about different classes and paths. So many choices! I'm still not sure what I'm going to play first. I'll probably spend hours in the character generator. Really hope it is a smooth launch.

almost done with first playthrough of Pathfinder kingmaker... over 300 hours ( turn based combat) ! Really enjoying it, at the end.

I hope this game PWotR is just as good .... will wait for reviews....
I think it will be. From what I've played so far it is. Just worried about the bugginess on release.

Preload is up I just transfered about 200 gigs of game to a HDD to make Room for
BF 2042 Deathloop and Pathfinder even though I have an entire 1TB SSD empty on my system =)
BF is going to be big in size suspect as big as COD games.

Still debating whether I want this on GOG or Steam. I'll probably get unpersoned on Steam first I guess so GOG is probably the safer choice.

Started my playthrough. Seems to be going fine so far. The starting area looks more polished than before. UI, class selection, etc. all looks better. According to people who have beaten the release version of the game it's not nearly as buggy as the beta and much better than kingmaker on release, so that's very good news.

Back