Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
GGG should just get rid of Elder/Shaper. It doesn't make any sense in the current story line. Plus, I'm tired of doing it.

So I guess the league is like half way through, but I figured I'd fire this back up. COD has been making me so mad, and Warcraft just doesn't seem to be sticking.

Trying my own build. Full on tank. Going for every shield block chance node. Just running around now with Shield Charge. Probably go with Static Strike as well. Iunno.

Just when I'm up to understanding about 25% of this game, they dump another 80% for me to adjust to. ack

Did they ever add respecs? I usually theorycraft games but it's a no go if I have to replace an entire character each time...

Did they ever add respecs? I usually theorycraft games but it's a no go if I have to replace an entire character each time...
Regret orbs. You gain a bunch during leveling. You can buy them. Not too expensive, but enough that it adds up if you're redoing an entire character. This new league coming up they'll be expensive if the drop rate remains the same.

Regret orbs. You gain a bunch during leveling. You can buy them. Not too expensive, but enough that it adds up if you're redoing an entire character. This new league coming up they'll be expensive if the drop rate remains the same.

I played again after 3+ years away and started a new character for the Metamorph league a couple weeks ago.

Lots of changes to get used to... I like the "build your own zone boss" idea but I absolutely hate the crafting changes.

My biggest gripe is the sheer amount of clutter on the screen, and I don't mean loot. Just the game is absolutely terrible with communicating to their players what's happening on the screen. This often leads to death and frustration and overall terrible performance.

Crafting is hardly worth it in POE - which is really silly since it could potentially be a lot of fun to craft your own stuff. You're often just better off buying stuff with Exalted/Chaos orbs using what is also a terrible trade system.

For me, I've always felt they "gated" player advancement in general by making crafting so arbitrary. For someone who plays SSF 99.999% of the time, it's far more difficult to get to the real end-game since I can't simply go to POE.trade and buy a needed jewel/item to complete my build.

I rolled a Frost Shot Dualist as my starter and was going to use the stuff I found with that build to make a warrior-type build around an 585 pDPS +185 eDPS Abyssal Axe I SSFound but after using 600+ Jeweler's orbs it's still a 1S...1S. I hit 5S 2 times in the process...

Putting recipies behind maps really ticks me off. Some of the ones I need most are from maps/areas there's no way I'm ever going to see. Recipies located in Pale Council? seriously?! I've only been there 6 times on standard and I've been playing since BETA (minus the last 3 years I took off)

I did manage to get my dualist to 88 relatively quickly but I need a couple items to really complete that build and I don't see me getting them (6L hyri's Ire and Watcher's Eye with the cold damage) anytime soon. There's only so far you can go without the specialized gear some builds require...

For me, I've always felt they "gated" player advancement in general by making crafting so arbitrary. For someone who plays SSF 99.999% of the time, it's far more difficult to get to the real end-game since I can't simply go to POE.trade and buy a needed jewel/item to complete my build.

I rolled a Frost Shot Dualist as my starter and was going to use the stuff I found with that build to make a warrior-type build around an 585 pDPS +185 eDPS Abyssal Axe I SSFound but after using 600+ Jeweler's orbs it's still a 1S...1S. I hit 5S 2 times in the process...

Putting recipies behind maps really ticks me off. Some of the ones I need most are from maps/areas there's no way I'm ever going to see. Recipies located in Pale Council? seriously?! I've only been there 6 times on standard and I've been playing since BETA (minus the last 3 years I took off)

I did manage to get my dualist to 88 relatively quickly but I need a couple items to really complete that build and I don't see me getting them (6L hyri's Ire and Watcher's Eye with the cold damage) anytime soon. There's only so far you can go without the specialized gear some builds require...

If using fusings or jewelers, make sure the item is maxed out quality as that benefits the chance to 6 socket or 6 link.

Make sure you are unveiling, veiled itemsto unlock recipes. Most of them are unlocked that way, maps tend to have the higher tiers which aren't necessary until higher end content. Also delve contains some recipes as well.

You didn't specify what ascendancy class you were as you just said duelist, so make sure you are doing labs to do that quest if you weren't aware. The options for the duelist are Champion, Gladiator, and Slayer. If it been 3 years since you last played this quest might not have been there, and you didn't specify further which one.

You can do the prophecies needed for the Pale Court, just keep spamming them and look for the ones needed. The recipe it unlocks (crafted items can have 3 crafted modifers) is very powerful costing I think 2 exalted orbs to craft and is only needed if doing high end crafting.

Last edited:

The game is optimized around trade, so if you're playing SSF and choosing a build that requires specific ultra rare items it's kind of a recipe for disaster unless you're a streamer that plays the game for hours and hours each day. For some people SSF is the only interesting way to play, but it's a self-imposed hard mode that exacerbates a lot of the things you're unhappy with.

If using fusings or jewelers, make sure the item is maxed out quality as that benefits the chance to 6 socket or 6 link.

Make sure you are unveiling, veiled weapons to unlock recipes. Most of them are unlocked that way, maps tend to have the higher tiers which aren't necessary until higher end content. Also delve contains some recipes as well.

You didn't specify what ascendancy class you were as you just said duelist, so make sure you are doing labs to do that quest if you weren't aware. The options for the duelist are Champion, Gladiator, and Slayer. If it been 3 years since you last played this quest might not have been there, and you didn't specify further which one.

You can do the prophecies needed for the Pale Court, just keep spamming them and look for the ones needed. The recipe it unlocks (crafted items can have 3 crafted modifers) is very powerful costing I think 2 exalted orbs to craft and is only needed if doing high end crafting.

Thanks for the tips & advice!. When I quit, I specifically requested GGG delete my old account (along with its 128 tabs of stuff) so I am starting fresh from scratch...but I did buy 6 premium tabs, 1 currency tab, one Quad tab, 1 Fragment tab, and one Unique tab. And I've missed at least 3 years so there are things I forgot.

Playing a Slayer (which has been "fun" but I'm a bit squishy at only 4k Health...) and have completed 5 of the 6 trials for doing Eternal labs...though equipment changes have made it necessary to get new enchants. I only have 1 useful one (boots enchant to adds a bunch of cold damage, no helm enchant currently and very crappy gloves enchant)

The last trial for eternal has been "elusive", to say the least. When I last played (on standard) the trials were still relatively new...and it took 478 map runs before the last Trial appeared on my SSF character. Yes. It took Four Hundred and Seventy-Eight maps before the last Trial appeared...Needless to say I was pretty pissed it took that long. SSF should not EVER require (nearly) 500 map runs for 1 specific trial to appear. I think I made a post about that 60 or so pages ago in the thread...not sure...

I have been making the choices in the Jun interractions to get gear for unveiling, even at the expense of progressing the chain (I think there's a quest chain...that whole thing wasn't in the game when I quit playing. Neither was Alva or the Blighted stuff...Elder and Shaper and Abyss were the last things added before I stopped playing)

As far as prophecies go, I use the build a boss options in each map/zone to choose prophecies to get extra ones hoping to get the rest of the pale court fragments. I have that Axe which has only the damage mods of 178% physical damage + T1 cold damage (it's something crazy like 185edps) and I annulled the other mods off (YOLO Annuls FTW) so it has only 2 prefixes on it as a rare..so I should be able to craft 3 mods if I can get that crafting recipe

Surprisingly, the currency hasn't really been an issue during this league...I got 2Ex and like 100 chaos in my first week of playing in the Azurite mines but I'm seeing diminishing returns lately...maybe they're slowing things down since the league is ending soon?

I need to read up on the new league since it's dropping on the 13th...Coincidentally, I'm taking a week off work beginning that day so...I guess I may be grinding gear that week, lol.

The last trial for eternal has been "elusive", to say the least. When I last played (on standard) the trials were still relatively new...and it took 478 map runs before the last Trial appeared on my SSF character. Yes. It took Four Hundred and Seventy-Eight maps before the last Trial appeared...Needless to say I was pretty pissed it took that long. SSF should not EVER require (nearly) 500 map runs for 1 specific trial to appear. I think I made a post about that 60 or so pages ago in the thread...not sure...

If you're spamming prophecies you should have an eye for "The Dream Trial" which will spawn a trial of ascendancy. Anything fated that you don't expect to run should be sealed (usually for 1 coin) so you can get another prophecy. Strongboxes can be crafted to get the "+4 silver coins" mod which can keep you rolling. I've had trouble getting the last trial to spawn as well and it can be demoralizing for sure.

Surprisingly, the currency hasn't really been an issue during this league...I got 2Ex and like 100 chaos in my first week of playing in the Azurite mines but I'm seeing diminishing returns lately...maybe they're slowing things down since the league is ending soon?

They don't adjust currency drop rates like that.

So...ran the mines a bit and got a couple Annulment orbs.

Tried to annul off the dex or either of the 2 resists off a bow that had 179% inc phys dam + 24-44 inc phys.

had 179%...had...

and from the "Life is capricious" department...That Axe I mentioned above? It took 19 Jewlers to 6S it last night and 19 Fuses to 6L it. I counted. It's currently at 601 DPS (501 pDPS + 100 eDPS lightning.) I had an accidental annul which removed the cold, lol. Still...600dps is the highest non-unique weapon I've ever had so I'll be making some sort of build with it...

Anyone have a suggestion on what build to go for with that axe?

Either they have changed the overall drop rate since I last played or the currency drops are just insane this league. I've never started a league 1 month before it ended, and ended up with this much loot. Ever.

I got a Tabula, 2 facebreakers, a BoR, two Bino's, Kingsguard, and an Abyssus Sunday...not to mention several other uniques Friday/Saturday. Oh...and 2 more Ex, 3 Divines, 10 Blesseds, and 4-5 Regals. That's nuts for 2 days for my play SSSF style. (Sloooowwww Solo Self Found)

Either they have changed the overall drop rate since I last played or the currency drops are just insane this league. I've never started a league 1 month before it ended, and ended up with this much loot. Ever.

I got a Tabula, 2 facebreakers, a BoR, two Bino's, Kingsguard, and an Abyssus Sunday...not to mention several other uniques Friday/Saturday. Oh...and 2 more Ex, 3 Divines, 10 Blesseds, and 4-5 Regals. That's nuts for 2 days for my play SSSF style. (Sloooowwww Solo Self Found)

Nice, but you weren't around for Legion, were you? Loot pinata? More like loot diarrhea. Exalts flowed like mad..

Nice, but you weren't around for Legion, were you? Loot pinata? More like loot diarrhea. Exalts flowed like mad..

No. I missed out on Legion. I'm still trying to understand what the hell you're supposed to do for that in the first place. Currently, I'm just selecting the options to get things to unveil so I can unlock recipes.

Blighted? WTF is that? (the voice acting is great on her character.)

Alva?! WHO?! I don't EVEN!

Einhart is pretty much "Da Bomb". I REALLY like the voice acting on that guy...

Alva - I literally destroy the mobs in the temple but can only rarely actually get to the next group in time to keep it open long enough to get the stone to the passage I want. VERY frustrating!!!!

Tane! It took me a while to understand what the hell I'm supposed to do in choosing the items to build the boss. I ended up with 29384623987436 lungs and didn't realize you can go to his lair and build another mob, lol.

Making a Molten Strike guy for now to see how that goes...

So I started that Molten Strike character and, surprisingly enough, it's been really fun so far. I was lucky enough to already have the needed unique Jewel for this build from the league and I'm using the Tabula until I can get leveled up enough to use my 5L Hybrid chest

I rolled it the day after the league ended, and I've only played it for 2-3 hours a day, and I'm already at the entrance to the Belly after rolling over everything so far...I don't think I've even been at less than 70% health either...

Normally, it takes a while for the build I choose to really start synergizing because of a lack of the right gear/stats/skills, so I end up being 6 or 7 levels over the zone. (This is also due to my mentality of wanting to "full clear" every zone. I didn't do that this time...)

I think I'm 1-2 levels above the current zone so I should be okay for drops. I think I'm at lvl37, maybe 38...can't remember right now. Is that a decent level for Piety and Mal?

I've got ~2k health and tooltip DPS (which isn't really accurate for Molten Strike) is right at 2k as well. I really need to upgrade my weapons though (Bloodplay Stiletto and probably the most badly rolled Brightbeak ever)

I used my 5 divines to try to minmax my Talon Axe (and gained only 1pDPS on it, lol!) I wish I'd saved them for this build!

If anyone on standard has a decently-rolled Brightbeak for sale for a chaos or two let me know.

(sigh) No play tonight. No intarwebs.... Fuckin Spectrum.....

Is there a guild? I usually play solo, but am interested in coop.

(sigh) No play tonight. No intarwebs.... Fuckin Spectrum.....

Is there a guild? I usually play solo, but am interested in coop.
Few things.

New league isn't until Friday. There is standard...but its meh.

Been playing off and on for eight years. I've never even partied before outside of trading. Nevermind a guild, heh.

Thankfully internet will be fixed Sat...

I've been playing for about the same off and on. Did some parties. There is some benefit to exp. Sometimes it's fun to play in a crew

I've never grouped in POE.

I woke up early today (0330) and played a couple hours and just got to Act 5. I died once. My fault for standing on desecrated ground while deciding where to assign my points, lol. Not my finest moment, I'm ashamed to admit.

Malachai went down FAST but I was 1 level above him so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

Nice. I'll be missing the new league launch. Had to order a new laptop which won't be here for a day or two more, so.. Meh.. Tuesday it is, then. Looking forward to jumping back in.

Can't wait to go fog myself tomorrow.

Is there an [H] PoE guild or anything? There's one for Diablo 3. Just curious.

Last edited:
There is one, but I can't log atm. Not sure who all still logs. You'd have to ask lilbuddha, or wait a few days and get with me in game.

I may be in and out of the league at the start due to swapping out CPUs. I ordered a new Ryzen R9 3950X because I plan on overclocking my current 3950X to its destruction, lol.

Got through Kitava this morning really easily...normally I have to Zerg him because my gear/build aren't sufficient yet.

Killed Maligaro pretty fast too.

I'm really really liking this build so far but I'm starting to worry that the INT and DEX requirements of the gear I sat aside for late/end game are going to be too high for me to use.

I went through 848 fuses last night trying to 6L a 1400EVA Jerkin(?) with +152 life AND a +9% to Maximum Life mod on it with 2 res's in the 25-30% range...Damn near punched my trackball

Last edited:
I'm probably just going to go meta at the start with an AW Necro build. I really want to try something with spell crit. Like a Freezing Pulse Assassin or something.

Nice. I'll be missing the new league launch. Had to order a new laptop which won't be here for a day or two more, so.. Meh.. Tuesday it is, then. Looking forward to jumping back in.
Have an Xbox One or PlayStation 4? The console ports are really good. Better than Diablo 3, in my opinion. Unfortunately there is no cross-play or cross-save.

Have an Xbox One or PlayStation 4? The console ports are really good. Better than Diablo 3, in my opinion. Unfortunately there is no cross-play or cross-save.

Uuh, I've got more than a few hours in on pc.. Enough to know not to touch the consoles and the abysmal performance. Good looking out though. Will be on in a few days, regardless.

Uuh, I've got more than a few hours in on pc.. Enough to know not to touch the consoles and the abysmal performance. Good looking out though. Will be on in a few days, regardless.
Fair enough. I understand the time commitment, but if you're starting a new league and want a taste of the changes. Both console versions also run at a solid 60 FPS in all versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back