Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
funny. great to see the one that uses lab traps wins... (%hp dmg vs flat dmg)... hey, ggg.. make it so i can delve and not crash... and stop breaking heralds and coh..

Edit, apparently this was fixed rather quickly..

Sidenote, I think I'm done with the league part of this league. I can't enter the mines themselves, so that was.. fun?

Last edited:
The concept sounded cool but the implementation is all over the place and obviously unfinished. This is a trend that is starting to wear thin where we spend at least the first month of a league beta testing all the broken and unfinished features and if the new mechanic is added to the core game it is done so in a watered down version.

To me it appears like they simply don't have the tech to pull off the infinite instance properly. An infinite dungeon should feel that way, meaning everything in it should have the proper persistence so that leaving and coming back to it is just a pit stop and not a hard break. In reality every time you leave the mine after completing a node everything before it be it mobs or loot gets wiped from existence.

Just in the latest patch they added the ability to go back to the very last node you cleared and still have the loot you left remain there.

I think it was intended to give us an endgame alternative, but they kind of shot themselves in the feet/bit off more than they could chew. It's pretty much a failed league mechanic, imo, because A, it's not part of the regular game. You run around maps, no modifiers, no different than 'standard' and there's little to no interaction other than a lump on the ground where Niko pops in and blabs on about how your farts smell delicious, and B, it's disruptive to the actual core gameplay method. You're going from being immersed and running maps, to having to stop, and then run off to a mine.. then being forced to stop, and then back to maps. There's too many hiccups in your grind. It's a god damned pain in the ass. (reminds me of legacy league stones)

I applaud them in their efforts, the league itself, looks great and all, but FFS. This just has bestiary written all over it (minus having the content integrated into the game). Every league I've played in the game, going back to god knows when, has been integrated into the main game-play.

I think Delve was a 'one step forward, two steps back' direction GGG needs to go back and contemplate. The idea itself (endless dungeons) was great, but the execution is just fucking awful, imho.

One thing I noticed and I'm hopeful they explore further is the ability to pickup currency by walking over it like you can do with Azurite in the mine. Right now it's only a basic/half done implementation since the Azurite isn't a physical currency you can click on to pick up but just a counter in a page but if they develop it further it'd be a nice QoL improvement.

One thing I noticed and I'm hopeful they explore further is the ability to pickup currency by walking over it like you can do with Azurite in the mine. Right now it's only a basic/half done implementation since the Azurite isn't a physical currency you can click on to pick up but just a counter in a page but if they develop it further it'd be a nice QoL improvement.

I think we won't be getting that. The chinese servers just got that addition in the form of mtx, and that's pretty PTW, so....

And one more thing.. endless dungeons.. we had endless ledge and descent races.. What the heck was wrong with them? You roll down a level or two, pop a chesr, loot, and go. SMH, I wonder what's going on in New Zealand sometimes.

Totally forgot about endless ledge haha. I guess the Schtick of this league is having a good chunk of the past league encounters as well as the new special locations/encounters/bosses contained in a single Pan-instance.

It's not THAT bad.. Don't get me wrong, I love to bitch when GGG shits the bed, but I haven't been able to play this league very heavily.. That changed today, as I found a small work-around on the forums for my problem. I did get to delve quite a bit, and it's not so bad. I think after they change how getting sulphite works in 3.4.3, it should smooth things out considerably, so long as I'm still able to delve, and don't crash, or have to go 10 rows over to the side of my current (the new one, that's already ten rows over to the right, smdh) shaft. Looking forward to seeing what all i can find, or if i just need to go to 100 and drop it.

The upcoming changes are a nice QoL improvement yeah.

When delving beyond 200, and actually it helps since the start, use a quartz flask so you can phase thru mobs because they always attempt to body block you.

Lol. C9q9md's videos always crack me up. The screen to screen editing almost looks like crayon writing (think deadpool blueprints).. for those that don't know, this is the wormblaster guy.. also, lost it when he noted his es regen was 'one mathil build/second'. Lol.

Reactions: Parja
like this
MSPaint skills XD

And yeah he has brought us some of the most memerrific builds in the game.

Spoke too soon on the quality of life improvements, this latest patch completely nerfed accessibility to the league mechanic. It's almost as if they don't want us to play it or something.

Before you could afford to do several nodes in the mine with the sulphite you collected in 1 high tier map. Now you are forced to grind several high tier maps plus they have to be rolled with high % quantity (at least 90%+) to be able to do a single mine node.

(Not my picture I'm about 250 depth)
74y1cxiu4hn11.png

Last edited:
Was going to say. I just did a t5 with 36 quant for testing and it threw me 127 off a single node.. so it's not bad, but I'm still dicking around in a half-broken mine that still doesn't work right ,and my capacity is like 250.. so i'm happy as a pig in shit over the 'fixes' they've put in place. I can't see the guys down at 2k depth being happy, though.. I'll mess with it more tomorrow, so I can finish my upgrade challenge, hit 12, and see where things stand.

There will inevitably come a point where your character will have grown in power to clear mine nodes well above monster level 83 (T16 map equivalent). The problem is that sustaining T16 maps is and has always been almost impossible unless you no-life the fucking game (and even then you cannot sustain maps from drops alone and have to buy them which is bullshit). So you effectively end up being blocked from the league content because the sulphite costs make it so that running anything below T15-16 is simply not worth the time for the sulphite you get.

They hyped the idea of having the mine as a way to test the power of your character and as an alternative to mapping but they apparently got too scared people would stop mapping altogether and did a 180 on that. Now they want you to spend more time farming maps for sulphite and if the baked in shit RNG screws you out of sutaining maps after spending all your currency well then tough luck.

To make matters worse is that mapping is exactly the same as in standard league which makes them even more tedious and monotonous. The only new thing they added was a pile of rocks you click on to collect sulphite.

Previous leagues added something TO mapping:
Abyss has the mini event inside the map
Incursion opened a portal to a mini dungeon inside the map
Even Bestiary had special mobs and a net mechanic inside the map
This league just has rocks you click on and then you exit the map.

I'm a little confused. Did you join the guild and hear me bitching about the exact same things WEEKS ago (minus the t16 map thing, face it, map sustain is borked)?

The big problem here is that they gated content, and its not just like, Uber Atziri? Ho-hum.. This is the 'shit the bed' moment I was talking about. They gated the ENTIRE league mechanic to the point it's skippable, and you can just play standard without your toys and bankroll. This won't help with player retention. If I were a new player, I'd have fucked off 2-3 weeks ago, because the experience is just too much of a fucking hastle. New content designed for EVERYONE is supposed to feel inviting, not like a side chore that majorly jams up gameplay. Like you said, the league mechanic has ALWAYS been a part of the core, and not something you have to go instance off elsewhere, and interrupt your experience. They need to rethink these 'massive successes' and get back to what worked and was fun.

Reactions: Aix.
like this
If they wanted to ensure players stayed engaged with both the story/maps and delves then they should have moved the Azurite encounters to the story/maps so that players could make progress toward upgrading their cart/resistance by playing the normal game; then you could delve horizontally more comfortably or use that progress to delve deeper a little more safely - both of which should have been "free." Make the sulphite more scarce but use it to take the cart down the side paths or something.

This reeks of a cool idea that got destroyed at the management level.

Got L94 and L90 characters in Delve with my atlas at 153/159. The league mechanic is enjoyable though the 'taxes' required to partake are starting to really annoy me. Primarily the sulphite needed to Delve and the Azurite needed to upgrade.

Even when chaining T13s it still feels tedious to fill up on sulphite, (the amount you get per node is not enough imo) and while delving I feel forced into chasing azurite nodes instead of 'exploring the unknown'. I'm also not too excited about delve going to the core game when so many builds perform poorly at delving, it would eliminate way too many builds from being seen as "viable".

Honestly, Looking at the past few leagues, i can say we're getting really great content. The assets are there, the art is there, even the gameplay is there. What is also there, from what I can tell and reference from announcement timelines, is that the company is growing. Not just in the number of people, but also in the input that's being recieved and passed around. I mean, on one hand, yeah, you have reddit doing it's circle-jerk bitchbitch thing and swaying the game, but on the other, you have a growing office space of people, whom all sit down at meetings and 'pitch' in.. if you think and look back at it, we've had problems in leagues before, but this is a growing concern to league futures. I'm starting to get the feeling that too many ideas are being pitched into the fire, and not enough ashes are coming out. GGG's growth is a great thing, but it's kind of destroying what made them great in the first place.

It's just becoming a mess as far as leagues go, and it's just going to get worse and clunkier. Apparently, gone are the days of breach/abyss.. Here comes another layer of grind/currency gated content.. even more busted OP statsticks, double-op skills for a patch, socketable ascendancies (lol?), more currency for yet ANOTHER stash tab, and wait.. I missed it.. oh yeah! The atlas is going to be re-worked again, so fuck your completed atlas AGAIN. This time, maps will be square.

A House of Mirrors card dropped for me today, in a Vaal Outpost at delve depth 189.
1drdca.jpg

Not the first valuable card I got this league though, a Doctor card (headhunter belt) dropped for me earlier in the league from a random divination box.

Very nice, that card alone is worth easy 14ex

Best drops this league for me so far are that Xoph Heart amulet I linked earlier, some bubonic trail boots with 2 abyssal sockets and 2 reliquary keys that I don't know whether to use or sell

screenshot-0003.png

I'd sell the keys, honestly.nUnless you want warbands rings or incursion jewels. slipperyjim opened up like 100+ and he's of the idea that keys ARE weighted, and also a huge waste of money unless selling them.. still, grats. i didn't really get anything this league. Feel like Charlie brown... "I got a rock....."

I have a level 89 witch in standard.

I’m not a meta player, and frankly I was pretty much stuck outside of group play procession at level 88. I'd successfully handle 4 or 5 maps, and then die, and reset all the experience I'd gained. Rinse/Repeat. I joined a group and finally popped to 89 in a few hours. I still quite enjoy playing the game.

Problem is when playing in group play people’s toons run so fast I can’t even keep up with them using quicksilver potions. I have boots that add 30% speed, and I’m left behind on every map. I don’t even personally see the fun in moving that fast. I’ll use a quicksilver potion and other players will still run by me at normal run speed. How is it fun to play a blur? What’s the point? Why is the gameplay catering to only that style of play (end game)?
There's an easy way around this. Make the rare monsters more powerful with attributes that you must read and digest and prepare for instead of just one build fits all and kills everything on the screen without consequence of what it is. As it is - people run around at speeds they can't even see, shooting everything with overpowered meta builds and zero fear of dying in standard multiplayer.

I played hardcore probably 80% of the time and got a character to level 87 on my own unique build. I played very carefully. I wasn't able to power through much of anything. To me that's a lot of the enjoyment in the game. Not that I enjoy being underpowered - just that I enjoy figuring it out on my own, and having to be careful, and think and explore. That's the playstyle I most enjoy - but the game is exceptionally difficult to play hardcore past about level 70, and I've lost a LOT of 60's and 70 level characters over the years I've played. Since I wanted to see endgame content, I've picked up playing standard on my high level chars that have died - but I've learned they are not at all compatible with group play at end game, because they don't move 600mph. So, unless I had friends that liked the game as much as I, group play is mostly out unless I want to follow around like the 3 year lackey when my teenage brothers are out having fun -- and I'm back to being stuck again in single player - unless I adopt a meta build. I have good uniques and gear after playing on and off for years, but I enjoy discovering good combinations of gear on my own and not referring to elite guides that seem to end up making copy cat builds of archers, and cyclone builds...

I'm not going to complain to grinding gear games. I really like the game. I'm just sounding off that I guess I've found a sticking point for my subjective preferences.

Last edited:
I have a level 89 witch in standard.

I’m not a meta player, and frankly I was pretty much stuck outside of group play procession at level 88. I joined a group and finally popped to 89. I still quite enjoy playing the game.

Problem is when playing in group play people’s toons run so fast I can’t even keep up with them using quicksilver potions. I have boots that add 30% speed, and I’m left behind on every map. I don’t even personally see the fun in moving that fast. I’ll use a quicksilver potion and other players will still run by me at normal run speed. How is it fun to play a blur? What’s the point? Why is the game caters to only that style of play (end game)?

You are not thinking about this straight...any game about limitless grinding for resources/drops will results in the most efficient way to do it. Path of Exile is not an exception. In games where minuscule upgrades are measured 10's of hours of play, doing it 25% faster is a lot of time. I play warframe mostly these days and I can quite easily run missions 2x-3x faster than the typical player where the reward comes at the end of the mission. If I want that next hit of increased power in a reasonable period of time....I need to run at those rates.

I'd sell the keys, honestly.nUnless you want warbands rings or incursion jewels. slipperyjim opened up like 100+ and he's of the idea that keys ARE weighted, and also a huge waste of money unless selling them.. still, grats. i didn't really get anything this league. Feel like Charlie brown... "I got a rock....."
Ya, I almost used one the other day but I stopped myself remembering all the shitty items I got during Legacy lol. The only good thing I ever got was a legacy Taste of Hate and I couldn't even sell it cause I played SSF.

This just randomly happened when trying to 5 link it
screenshot-0006.png

Grats. The last thing I actually 6linked was a random 6s volls protector that dropped that way.. in urm.. prophecy? It's been that long..

Hit L95 today, decided to try Guardians and Shaper for the first time this league, had no problems did them all deathless, though luck was involved for sure.
1s1i8a.jpg

Good time to ease up on PoE, maybe hit up the backlog a bit, will play delve for sure now and again but definitely at a more casual pace.

I have a level 70 assassin I played hardcore that died. I'd like to rework him and make him a chaos build, probably spell casting, maybe something associated with desecrate because I just made a katva's thirst helm that received a +3 bodies to desecrate from an Uber Labyrinth run.

I think that could be pretty epic if I use desecrated ground as a trigger socket spell in the Kitava's Thirst. I'd need to make my primary spell cost more than 100 mana per cast, so that the desecrate would fire simultaneously, But I've never made a build like this, and I've been playing around with my Tabular Rasa trying to figure out what to link - and I'm coming up pretty weaksauce so far.

I have these gloves which will help me hit that 100 mana requirement on my primary skill - allowing Kitava's Thirst to fire constantly.
upload_2018-10-8_15-1-8.png

Any ideas?

upload_2018-10-8_14-56-9.png

I hardly find good stuff. Usually if I do, it's too little too late. Nice to know there are some cool things out there.

Well I found a couple of good things so far this league, but the near total lack of high tier map drops is doing me in.

Granted, I actually never bought a map, my atlas journey is entirely relying on self sufficiency, I have traded only to buy a few rares to max out my resists.

Found an Ex and a Poet's Pen last week, been looking for a more tanky build since my Soulwrest Necro is really squishy (fire storm can stun lock me...), anyone got any ideas?

I want to be able to do end game on that char at least, but being fastest isn't a priority, and doesn't need to be speedy with maps either, have a Toxic rain Ranger in the making and my Soulwrest Necro clears map easily, just the map bosses often pose a problem.

chenw

Here's a quick way you can find a build based on items you have found.

First off you should be aware if you aren't already of the site poe.ninja which tracks the prices of pretty much everything in the game from both the official trade site and poe.trade.

The statistics they gather allows them to go even further and put together the builds people are playing based on the weighted popularity of items people are trading. So you click on the "Go to builds" button at the top right and on the next page you input any item you may have and the site will spit out every class+ascendancy that uses in percentages plus any main skill that build is based around. And you can refine/narrow things down even further by inputing more items and/or skills

Take for example your poet's pen:

https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds?item=The-Poets-Pen

You can see that the majority of classes/ascendancy using that item are the Ranger-Pathfinder and Witch-Elementalist

Then you can click on the names of each character and it shows you all their items, skill gem links, skill tree and ascendancy build even jewels and flasks. The site of course does not take into consideration how expensive a build may be since it only lists the top 100 or so characters and many will be using pretty high end items by now.

But from there you can cross reference things with the official class build forum and look for a guide that fits.

Here's one, a Poet's pen Witch elementalist:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2123293

And here's a Poet's pen Ranger Pathfinder build:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2183309

Last edited:
Yeah a proper client would be nice. As of right now tho you can run the game via Proton Steamplay (only DX9 tho) and Wine DXVK (which works far better).

Steamplay proton

Wine DXVK

Been some time since I've played. I may come back for a league. This one ends in a month looks like?

Yeah a proper client would be nice. As of right now tho you can run the game via Proton Steamplay (only DX9 tho) and Wine DXVK (which works far better).

Steamplay proton

Wine DXVK

I knew about all this. It's just the PS4 already runs on a variant of BSD, so it shouldn't be too far off.

Been some time since I've played. I may come back for a league. This one ends in a month looks like?

Yep, about a month. Looking like early december. Spoilers and trailers and all that will be happening soon. Still, a month left to play is plenty. At least go experience Delve before it gets shoe-horned into core, where it doesn't belong.. (im of the opinion the base game is getting way too bloated for its own good)

Paying to create private leagues is now possible.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247724/page/1

Many people were excited about these as they assumed you'd be able to create a league with any combination of past league mechanics like Perandus+Breach+Nemesis, etc. sorta like you could in Legacy league or Mayhem events.

This is not the case.

Private leagues will always be parented and restricted to the currently running global challenge league and once that league ends they get rolled into a standard league. You can also choose to create the league as standard/hardcore/ssf. The only mods you can select are ones that make the game harder, like more monster elemental damage, more monster life, less player resistances, no access to stash, no trading, no vendor selling/buying, etc

Here's the league creation page with all the currently available mods
https://www.pathofexile.com/private-leagues/create

lolnothx.png

Price is 120 points ($12) to create and the leagues last for 10 days with 10 player slots. You can pay to extend the duration and player cap with more points. There is also a crowdfunded option where people can chip in to get the league created, players who contribute to crowdfund a league cannot be kicked/removed from it for 2 weeks. Inviting players to your private league is done via direct account invite and from those in your guild and friends list.

Saw the league name and I concur.. Also made me laugh pretty hard. It's cool that you can do this, but I would've liked to be able to enable old league mechanics. A quick run through of Talisman, with some of the damage/difficulty mods. no way I'd touch nostash/vending. The gucci hobo mode looks cool, though. I think some of the streamers will get off on this.. also, it's got Kripparian playing again, but he's just a sadist. Famine/nostash/no magic or rare items.. and just checked, that's what it is.. All in all, the mods are all doable, really. the no stash part is just.. wrong.

No stash + no vendoring + no magic/rare items brings us one step closer to the TRUE ETHICAL SSF HARDCORE EXPERIENCE people have wanted for many years XD

P.S:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back