Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually tried your little CoC setup on my Voltaxic LA ranger.. used my offhand LG for shits and giggles.. it's rediculously fun. I blew out a randomly rolled arid lake. No issues, I didn't use barrage, I just used a level 20 split arrow. Still, hilarious. Good build idea.

Edit: Tried it with barrage and a windripper for higher crit chance.. ROFL. definately worth a laugh.

Last edited:
So I finally made it into Ascendancy - and to Izaro and he straight up fucking wrecked me. LvL 70 Spark Chaos Scion........tips?

So I finally made it into Ascendancy - and to Izaro and he straight up fucking wrecked me. LvL 70 Spark Chaos Scion........tips?
Level up more, it's that simple really. The lab isn't mandatory and you can postpone running it until your character is more capable. There is some strategies you can use for izaro, wiki link - but generally speaking most people just level up until their character can survive a hit or two from him.

So later on today, for the next two weeks, GGG will be running a Perandus/flashback league. The last flashback they held was rediculously fun. I hope some of you can jump in and enjoy it. It makes the game a great challenge and nearly everything becomes a loot pinata.

New build time....

I wanted to make a Scion build that took advantage of the pierce/projectile mods from the Ranger and the crit from the Shadow. My first thought was to make a cast on crit build using lightning strike but blech, too slow. I've never been a big fan of spectral throw CoC so I went with barrage. I started with a wand, which was fine, but still a little sluggish. I then noticed that I had a Quill Rain and a Drillneck in my inventory and, weeeeeeeee, so much attack speed!!1! The 5% base crit is a hassle but with the newly modified Increased Critical Strikes gem as well as the Shadow ascendancy I get the base crit up to just shy of 8%. And when your APS is insanely high the odd non-crit just doesn't slow you down that much.

So I now have 100% chance to pierce and an associated 100% increased projectile damage and bonkers projectile speed. The obvious spell choices are Spark and Ethereal Knives as they are both made extremely strong with pierce and proj speed. Thus, the "Piercing CoC" build. Tree I was worried this was going to be rubbish as I leveled with Spark and it was kind of boring but, once I got the final Ascendancy points, it got super fun.

Yea, that's really damn pro!

I've never been able to put together a build like that in this game lol... all my characters are pretty simple in terms of scope.

Yea, that's really damn pro!

I've never been able to put together a build like that in this game lol... all my characters are pretty simple in terms of scope.

Thanks man. I think this is the natural outcome of being addicted to this game. There's something about POE that makes it get stuck in the brain of a certain type of person and I fall very much into that personality type. Eventually you can't help but start to put together more and more complicated builds. I think it might be a kind of mental illness but it's a pretty entertaining disease to have....

I'm seeing several [H] members online the past few days, figured I'd give the thread a bump.

The new league is quite fun, especially for the leveling experience. The prophecy system gives you a reason to clear zones, explore areas, and has a great balance of reward/challenge.

Latest patch also replaced the entire audio system, which has a few bugs but there are much less performance drops thanks to it.

I'm running a CI Elementalist whispering ice build this time around, which was really cheap to gear for starting out thanks to one of the prophecies available rewarding the staff (I bought a good rolled one for 2 chaos, can usually get em for 1c).

Completely agree - the leveling process is far more compelling than it used to be. I have a feeling that chasing down prophecies will get old in time but, for now, it's tons of fun.

I wanted to try the new frostbolt / vortex / ice nova combinations but I didn't want to to be a typical squishy caster so I'm rolling a Chieftain and converting all my cold damage to fire. I first tried a combo of cold to fire plus Avatar of Fire but that doesn't convert the degen caused by Vortex and Ice Nova was just a terrible skill. I ended up going a similar route to what ZiggyD went, using Pyre to convert the Vortex explosion to fire but leaving the cold degen on the ground. I only just got into Merciless but, so far so good. My tree will probably look something like this when I'm done. Going Blood Magic becuase I haven't done it in a couple years so why not. It will also let me run a couple of Clear Mind jewels for lots more spell damage.

Well shit. I've always enjoyed the leveling process before... I'm a "journey" kinda player in most games... Might just have to install this again. I've been looking for a game to play a bit again.

What's this fancy stash tab this guy shows here?

Last edited:
That's going to be the currency tab. It makes taking care of all of that crap SO much easier. For this league, I was going to roll flame totem again, but my hearts not into it. Before I made any big tree changes around level 26 or so, i just said screw it, and went with sunder, until i trans'd into earthquake at 28. It's a little diffrerent style of play than i'm used to, but I haven't really played melee since they brought out ice crash, and since this is a 'strictly better' version of it, i'm gonna give it a whirl before i roll something else.

I just got into this game again after dropping it early on due to really shitty perf on my machine. Having a blast now as a ranger. If anyone is around ~ 45-50 and want to grind out/farm hit me up!

So, what's the current meta for surviving endgame? Is it still necessary to get every HP node that exists? There's quite a few changes since the last time I played, and I was just spending talents on fun stuff as I go, but i don't want to end up with a worthless character... so i stopped doing that and have about 10 points i'm sitting on atm. I'm trying to make a new ice witch.

Last edited:
Currently playing a triple curse Vortex build. Melting mobs in seconds. Most map bosses in under 10 seconds.

Do you cast your curses manually?

No I am running them on blasphemy. Taking up 90% of my mana. Still have 85 mana and vortex costs 55 or something. I have a decent mana regen. Using frostbite - vulnerability - enfeeble (cause my character is squishy otherwise you can use ele weakness).

No I am running them on blasphemy. Taking up 90% of my mana. Still have 85 mana and vortex costs 55 or something. I have a decent mana regen. Using frostbite - vulnerability - enfeeble (cause my character is squishy otherwise you can use ele weakness).
Oh that's crazy! Just read up on Blasphemy Support, sounds cool! There's really so many ways to build a character, i have no idea wtf i'm going to do lol

Oh that's crazy! Just read up on Blasphemy Support, sounds cool! There's really so many ways to build a character, i have no idea wtf i'm going to do lol

I can link you my tree after I get home. You would have to make your way up to the double curse node tho and get the boots that allow another curse for a total of 3 curses

I believe he's talking about the 'windscream' boots which are generally 1-2c a pair.. they're not too shabby. if you want to go with a lightning spell, but still maintain some cold damage, check out call of the brotherhood. I made one hell of a spark inquisitor, who had complete uptime of frenzy and power charges, with max crit chance, 400 percent multi, and a load of damage, i think i maxed it at 108k tooltip. Dual curse was a great thing, and having herald of ice proc almost all of the time made it possible due to the conversion, and the inquistor's "ignore enemy resistances" nodes. it was great for solo play, and i did up to t13 maps with it. in group play, it was so-so. everyone runs crit these days, and half of the people offscreen stuff or just flat out kill a little faster (Looking at you Alyosha :p), but it was a fun little experiment. Looking back, the build would work just fine with arc or maybe ball lightning. i'd stay away from tendrils though.

Yea, my last Ice Witch was a triple curse spec too. I just didn't like the time it took to lay them all down, so i'm looking to mix things up this time around. I really really loved cold snap + elemental proliferation for locking down a group and Ice spear + greater multiple projectiles, so i figure i'll go that route again. But i'm not sure what else i'll include in the mix. I'm kinda relying on moves i get from quest rewards, but i'm surprised at how few ice spells they're giving out. Perhaps relying on what i find is not a good way to go about building a spec (most certainly it isn't lol), but it's a more organic way to play. Forces me to mix things up.

I did snatch up a cold snap skill from the guild bank though, so thanks to whomever put that in there!

Is anyone using ice bomb? I'm curious to see what folks are supported it with.

Also, if both the elemental status effects and melee hits vs armor are still tied to %HP damage done, i'm not surprised that the meta is still crit... cause it's really the only thing that makes sense. You'd think they'd increase the attack/cast speed bonuses in the tree to make up for doing less damage per hit, which means more damage mitigated and less-awesome elemental status effects.

Last edited:
Someone messaged me about cleaning up the guild stash in standard. I tried...its tedious as hell since you can't move things around within the stash, nor quickly alt-click everything over to inventory, nor can I move the position of tabs around to just shove them all the way to the right... So you'll have to just deal with it as I find the time.

I also took a few min to attempt to consolidate my own tabs in standard...then I saw I had about 200 of them. I managed to move all my currency to the currency tab I got...and that's it. Absolute nightmare.

---

The fun of Prophecy during leveling is now a pain in the ass for high level. Its just not a good system for mapping/end game since its always asking you to go back to A2 type crap and zerg a zone over and over for an individual rare or spawn (that sometimes isn't there for a dozen+ instances)

---

My whispering ice witch is amazing, with great survivability. Just lacking the motivation to do masters (again! fuck!) and run maps to unlock the endgame lab (which is supposedly really good).

Plus I'm back to being not-single (in real life!) and she's been demanding so much time doing real life stuff, which is hurting my gaming time incredibly.

Yea, that's one of the things that i noticed, with more and more content being in the game, these full resets for new leagues are pretty killer in terms of time they want you to sink into the game over and over again.

Would you mine linking your whispering ice witch??

Here is my Vortex Witch tree.

Passive Skill Tree - Path of Exile

All you need is a 5L staff with +2 to cold spells and have Vortex-Faster Cast-Increased AOE-Rapid Decay-Controlled Destruction. If you get the Carcass Jack unique, you can replace the faster casting with Conc Eff. but for now I'd rather have the extra AOE than Conc Eff. You also need the unique ring that changes ice to fire damage to proc Ele Equilibrium whch triggers -50% ice res on monsters which in turn increases dmg for the ice DOT (Not affected by the ring) Otherwise this is a pretty cheap build and you'll be wrecking monsters with it, It's a little squishy but that's what I use enfeeble for.

Last edited:
Here is my Vortex Witch tree.

Passive Skill Tree - Path of Exile

All you need is a 5L staff with +2 to cold spells and have Vortex-Faster Cast-Increased AOE-Rapid Decay-Controlled Destruction. If you get the Carcass Jack unique, you can replace the faster casting with Conc Eff. but for now I'd rather have the extra AOE than Conc Eff. You also need the unique ring that changes ice to fire damage to proc Ele Equilibrium whch triggers -50% ice res on monsters which in turn increases dmg for the ice DOT (Not affected by the ring) Otherwise this is a pretty cheap build and you'll be wrecking monsters with it, It's a little squishy but that's what I use enfeeble for.
Awesome! Thanks a lot cvinh, this will help me immensely.

Wasted currency on a potentially amazing Vaal Regalia...it ended up being crap. My char is pretty crazy strong now, can do any tier map, did a T14 twinned w/ ele reflect and just barely beat the boss (Goddesses) with like 50es left.

According to a dev blog / Q&A the next big patch/league will completely rework endgame/mapping, which is needed badly, characters are way too strong, most loot too easy to get, and the only "meta" is clear speed.

Anyone going to play the new leagues? I haven't played in a couple years. I should have all my parts and my PC built by the time the leagues start. Looking forward to jumping back in for the new expansion and all the other new stuff from the last couple years.

Anyone going to play the new leagues? I haven't played in a couple years. I should have all my parts and my PC built by the time the leagues start. Looking forward to jumping back in for the new expansion and all the other new stuff from the last couple years.
Hey Big Aug, not I. I've been out of it for a couple years too.
Too many other games taking up my limited gaming time.

I'll be checking out the new expansion but I don't know if it will have the staying power to keep me going. The newest mini-expansion is focused on endgame, with the mapping system revamped and whatnot. If you haven't played in years then you'll be amazed at how easy the game has become with the mastery/sub-classes and other changes. I'll be looking over some different specs this week but I'm leaning towards trying a necromancer/summoner type build. The whispering Ice build I did last league was EZ-mode once I got to mapping. T14 Double Bosses with reflect EZ.

I'll be checking out the new expansion but I don't know if it will have the staying power to keep me going. The newest mini-expansion is focused on endgame, with the mapping system revamped and whatnot. If you haven't played in years then you'll be amazed at how easy the game has become with the mastery/sub-classes and other changes. I'll be looking over some different specs this week but I'm leaning towards trying a necromancer/summoner type build. The whispering Ice build I did last league was EZ-mode once I got to mapping. T14 Double Bosses with reflect EZ.

I'll likely be doing a summoner as well. Haven't had my Hardcore rush in a while. Should be fun.

I tried playing not long ago and the reliance on trade still put me off. I'm still holding out hope that they'll have trading posts in the game someday.

I just can't stand dealing with people via chat to conduct trades.

I tried playing not long ago and the reliance on trade still put me off. I'm still holding out hope that they'll have trading posts in the game someday.

I just can't stand dealing with people via chat to conduct trades.

The way they've got it set up with trade tabs seems pretty painless to me: plop your item in the tab with a price and people start messaging. http://poe.trade/ if you're looking for something specific.

The masters also provide an opportunity to upgrade in more of a solo/self-found way, for when you find that item that seems nice but is missing that one mod. I'm gonna play the next league so I loaded up the game today just to mess around a bit and I found the Decimation Bow below, which I turned into an upgrade by adding flat damage to:

DGA0FFG.png

Anyone considering CoC builds should be advised, CoC is being "rebalanced/revised". As well, channeling skills are being reworked, with new skills using the mechanics, datamined stuff inplies they will be "charge up and blast" type abilities. They are being delayed until mid-league though as they're supposedly not ready.

I would also suggest reading the official dev manifesto/guide on the atlas system, as its slightly complicated. We probably won't see patch notes until Late Sunday / Midday Monday.

oh,... did they actually put in trade tabs? But they still require you to talk to the person?

I always envisioned trade tabs being able to provide a barter without interaction.

oh,... did they actually put in trade tabs? But they still require you to talk to the person?

I always envisioned trade tabs being able to provide a barter without interaction.

They made it possible to set any premium stash tab to public and to set prices and leave notes on any items in a public stash tab. But, yes, you still need to talk to people. So far as I understand GGG is loathe to do away with this aspect of trading as, one, they think the player interaction is important. I think many, many people disagree but they're not the ones making the game. Two, and maybe more importantly, the chunkiness of trading acts as an artificial limit to the supply of items in the economy. Without it, the supply of "good" items could outstrip demand and depress prices of gear to almost nothing. Except for genuinely good gear which could become hyper expensive. But the common folks would have very little currency due to the fact that all of their items are now worth nothing. It also makes it possible for players (or groups of players) to literally corner the market on certain items. Set up a bot to immediately buy any specific unique that goes on the market below a set price and then sell them yourself at a highly inflated price. Or so the theory goes. Suffice it to say, the POE economy is complicated and GGG is wary of changing anything too drastically and ruining it.

The current trade system is pretty good if you're a casual buyer/seller. If you go looking for a top-tier item or a highly sought after currency/league specific item, you'll find people who put up false listings and/or try to corner the market / scam (just like before). I'm typically just a seller and set up a few tabs with generic blanket pricing "1C tab" "2C tab" "5C" etc etc. Then have a tab for "good" items that I put individual pricing on. If something doesn't sell in the higher tabs after a few days, I just move them to the next lower one, until it sells. I lose out here and there, or sometimes put a GG-ammy/ring in there that I didn't mean to, but overall its minimal effort.

Yea that does make sense considering what we saw of the d3 ah.

My experience was simply that I wanted to make a specific character in the new league but the quest rewards changed such that I was not getting any gems that I wanted. I loathe trading in this game cause of greedy assholes, it's just a pain in my ass. So I switched games. I'll eventually be back to try this out, hopefully with more patience.

They made it possible to set any premium stash tab to public and to set prices and leave notes on any items in a public stash tab. But, yes, you still need to talk to people. So far as I understand GGG is loathe to do away with this aspect of trading as, one, they think the player interaction is important. I think many, many people disagree but they're not the ones making the game. Two, and maybe more importantly, the chunkiness of trading acts as an artificial limit to the supply of items in the economy. Without it, the supply of "good" items could outstrip demand and depress prices of gear to almost nothing. Except for genuinely good gear which could become hyper expensive. But the common folks would have very little currency due to the fact that all of their items are now worth nothing. It also makes it possible for players (or groups of players) to literally corner the market on certain items. Set up a bot to immediately buy any specific unique that goes on the market below a set price and then sell them yourself at a highly inflated price. Or so the theory goes. Suffice it to say, the POE economy is complicated and GGG is wary of changing anything too drastically and ruining it.

Not just a theory: botters controlling the market is exactly what happened with the Diablo3 auction houses, and there's no reason to think the same thing wouldn't happen within hours of GGG launching any sort of automated trading system in PoE. A guy recapped his botting experience and methods after the fact and it's definitely an interesting read:

A Diablo 3 Story: A Diablo 3 Story
http://diablo3story.blogspot.ca/2014/07/a-diablo-3-story.html
After I realized the potential profits from AH (Auction House) botting, I began expanding my little business. First I bought one more account and started using 2 accounts which were botting for legendary Armor. Why another one botting the same subset of items? Take another look at the screenshots above. See those failed transactions with red exclamation marks? You only really saw those when you were botting. What those really mean is that me and another buyer, or many other buyers, were trying to buy an item at the exact same time, the fraction of a second after the item was first showed as available on the AH. In reality, this happened when several bots tried to buy the same item and sent requests at virtually the same time. They all sent valid buy requests, but in the end only 1 person can get the item, so the others received the “failed” notice. It is easy to conclude from this information that once bots and botters figured out that the faster you search for an item, the bigger your chance of getting it is, it was practically impossible as a normal player to make a great trade. You could still make some good flips, but the really great bargains, the items which you bought for a price hundreds of times less than their real price, were only for AH botters.

Yea that does make sense considering what we saw of the d3 ah.

My experience was simply that I wanted to make a specific character in the new league but the quest rewards changed such that I was not getting any gems that I wanted. I loathe trading in this game cause of greedy assholes, it's just a pain in my ass. So I switched games. I'll eventually be back to try this out, hopefully with more patience.

You can buy most of the skill and support gems from NPCs now, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back