Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
i booted the game up for the first time in many months (been playing marvel like a coke addict), prepping myself for the new patch/league. Dunno if you guys are still in the guild but I'll be throwing stuff in there as I level, hope to see ya online.

With how people are reporting lockstep working, it makes one wonder if the lag compensation implemented was solely due to the internet connection quality in NZ and Australia...

Lockstep only works if your internet is 100% stable. Any variations in ping / packet loss make it feel absolutely terrible and is headache inducing. Whenever you drop packets the game completely freezes, so it's like your framerate dropping to single digits.

The predictive mode is for people that can't use lockstep (> 100 ms ping) or have terrible internet. Also some people claim that even with a < 40 ms ping they feel a significant input delay (I certainly don't). That being said, while implementing lockstep they found many bugs with the predictive mode. I haven't had to use it, but people are saying in beta that predictive mode is significantly more playable than on live.

Also you sometimes have to revert to predictive depending on who you're grouped with. If you party with someone on the NZ/AUS gateway and you're in the US, your ping is gonna skyrocket and lockstep will make it unplayable.

Your ping will only go up if you join an instance created by them (since they create instances on their servers). I've successfully played PoE with people who have like 250 ping to me by simply agreeing beforehand to create all the instances myself and have them join. Now, yes they have 250 ping in that circumstance but somebody has to and it allows perfectly reasonable lockstep for me. If our situations were reversed and they were doing all the instance creation then yes I'd disable lockstep for sure.

Many inactive character names have been made available. If you take the name of an existing character, then that user will be prompted to rename their character when they later try to log in to it. If you have logged onto any character on your account in the last year, then their names cannot be taken. Characters whose names are taken are not lost - their progress and items are still intact. They just need to pick a new name when they log in.

Darn. Glad I login from time to time to kick the tires. Wouldn't want to lose Britney_Ice_Spears or G_Money. :)

Having to pick a globally unique name every time you create a toon is one of the most annoying aspects of this game.

This is some perfect timing. I've been in a gaming slump and have needed something to play. This should do the trick!

Also, agreed about the frustration of picking a globally unique name. I've ended up with some pretty tarded names cause of that lol... luckily though, I'm the only chockomonkey.

How big is this update??

My "Steam backup" folder is dated mid-April of this year....

Are we talking 1-2 gigs or some sort of 4-6 gig monstrosity?

EDIT: Updating now, 3.2 gig update just fyi to people

Last edited:
How big is this update??

My "Steam backup" folder is dated mid-April of this year....

Are we talking 1-2 gigs or some sort of 4-6 gig monstrosity?

EDIT: Updating now, 3.2 gig update just fyi to people

thanks, i'll have to start this before i get home. I haven't updated in ages so it'll take awhile

I quit the game more than two years ago so I have to download the whole thing, anyway. Looking forward to see how much the game has changed since then. Lockstep is bringing me back.

I think I'll first start a new character and experience the new contents from the beginning, rather than diving right into high level contents with my existing characters. Can't wait to see Act 4

Fuck, I need to move to get better internet. Mine drops often and has high latency.

One thing I found in the beta was that the gateway with the lowest latency didn't always give me the best performance. Texas had the lowest ping for me but DC provided smoother more even performance. Try a few different gateways and see how playing feels.

This whole complete rebalance of everything is seriously getting on my nervers. It turned me off from this game in the past, and I find out that it still kind of does.

Rebalance does not mean completely wiping and rendering every build so far unplayable. Companies got that extremely wrong, GGG as well. Path of Exile is an excellent game, but that kind of updating in such a game really ruins it for me.

Not willing to make yet another build and have it ruined in a matter of weeks.

Hit 60 on a mara. 2h Sword spec w/ Static hit, winging the spec entirely. Act 4 is boss-rape-land. I had to overlevel substantially to survive.

Lockstep is good but the servers had some stability issues, my bro and I got kicked randomly several times and would log back on to the instance having died. Steam is also having a weird issue where it'll take 10min to apply a small update; happened three times over the weekend.

One thing I found in the beta was that the gateway with the lowest latency didn't always give me the best performance. Texas had the lowest ping for me but DC provided smoother more even performance. Try a few different gateways and see how playing feels.
Been playing on the DC gateway all weekend from Florida and the experience has been perfect. I've never actually had a good connection experience to servers in Texas no matter the game, even though the physical distance between both areas to me are about the same (using Austin as an anchor).

The fact that everything I do in the game is now reacted immediately upon my input is so refreshing that it feels like a totally different game.

Is everyone playing Tempest? Since desync is fixed now I'm not so worried about getting rekt by it.

I'm playing a 1H sword cycloner in warbands and it's going pretty well so far. Just had a near 200 dps (after master craft) sword drop at level 52 and now everything's smooth and happy for a while now. I've specced very strongly into defense and mana-management nodes as I've leveled but my damage has remained tolerable for the most part. I think that, somewhere in merciless, I'll have most of my "travel" around the tree done and I'll be able to start filling in damage nodes and I think this character will actually be pretty ok.

One thing I found in the beta, and continue to enjoy, the combination of armor (which got a buff in 2.0), and fortify, and endurance charges, is super powerful. If you're looking for a good strong way to deal with physical damage without too much expensive gear, this is really good.

Hit 60 on a mara. 2h Sword spec w/ Static hit, winging the spec entirely. Act 4 is boss-rape-land. I had to overlevel substantially to survive...

I stepped into the Piety Abomination fight around lvl 40 in Tempest and almost insta-ripped to her sweeping ray of doom. Not really sure how I survived but I got back to town, grabbed some lightning res gear, then tried again and found that it didn't help at all. So I leveled to 44 and focused on finding some better gear and selecting a few different nodes...haven't tried the fight again yet though. I've gone into all the A4 fights blind so far so there have definitely been some eeeeek moments as I try to figure out what's going on.

I started by trying to build around an 11% Elemental Hit gem I found but somehow ended up building a Lightning Trap + Flame Surge Shadow. Really nice to see that they moved Multistrike/Spell Echo/GMP/etc. to an A4 normal quest reward. It never made any sense to me to have to wait until the final act in Merciless to get a gem you can use at lvl 32, so glad they recognized that.

If you have above ~1.4k hp and decent lightning res then you should have enough HP to tank a normal a4 piety ray and still run through her other AoE balls to avoid a 2nd hit by the ray, which is enough to do the fight pretty much 100% safely. Ideally you don't ever get hit by the ray but sometimes it starts somehwere retarded.

I won't spoil the rest but suffice to say that piety is the only fight I've ripped to in HC so far because of how unexpected that bullshit deathray is. 2nd char is now level 52 or something, not looking forward to cruel a4 though haha.

Flame totem is ridiculous atm in my experience if anybody is wondering.

Balance patch incoming:

Version 2.0.0d

Act 4 Boss Fight Changes:
While we're very happy with the difficulty of the final boss on the Merciless difficulty level, it was definitely too hard in Normal and slightly too hard in Cruel.

The final boss now has 33% less life on Normal, and 17% less life on Cruel.
The final boss now has fewer area effects on Normal and Cruel difficulties.
The damage of some skills performed by the final boss have been reduced slightly, especially against minions.
The final boss's mortar degeneration ground has been reduced in the last portion of the fight in Normal and Cruel difficulties.
The Corrupted Lightning Beam attack used by the boss in the penultimate area now does significantly less damage to minions.
Fixed a rare bug where a heart would fail to open in the final boss fight.

Tempest Changes:
We will continue to balance Tempests so that they are rewarding to play in. While many of the higher-level ones grant generous bonuses (guaranteed uniques, vaal fragments, 10 tormented spirits, exiles everywhere, items dropping corrupted, etc), we want players to have to make a risk-or-reward decision even for low-level Tempests.

Areas currently affected by Tempests now have a 10% Item Quantity bonus.
Tempests no longer occur in the final area of Cruel difficulty. They already didn't occur there in Normal difficulty.
Removed Vaal Ice Nova from the Arctic Tempest.
Elemental and chaos damage themed Tempest suffixes no longer affect the damage dealt by monsters in that area. They also create less dense ground effects.
The old elemental versions of these suffixes can still appear in maps, but with different names. (Tempest of Combustion, Tempest of Winter, Tempest of Fulmination)
The old chaos version (now called Tempest of Contamination) no longer affects damage dealt by monsters, but still has the full ground effect.

Other Fixes:

Fixed a bug where Key Pickup wouldn't work sometimes.
Fixed a Warbands instance crash related to one of the Redblade Flamelords.
Fixed a bug where legacy leech prefixes did not show their prefix name on magic items.
Fixed various other rare server crashes.

We are aware of the problem where some users can't access some guild stash tabs. A fix is currently estimated to be around 48 hours away (hopefully a lot less).

Yeah that patch happened last night

good stuff good stuff although I wish they fixed the "boss heart never opens" bug before I ran into it, spent 20 minutes waiting for him to stop being invincible before giving up and spending another 15 minutes re-running the leadup zone to fight him again.

Tempest item quantity sounds nice, finally an HC league that I much prefer to the SC one (warbands are uninteresting damage soaks in every level with meh drops apart from their uniques that probably drop approximately never anyway).

It seems to be working. I'm getting 50ms and only dropped once this weekend. Really odd. Last I played, which was almost a year ago, my internet made the game completely unplayable.

There were a few times on Sunday I was rubberbanding like crazy, but not often, and not surprising with my DSL. (I live on the side of a mountain)

This whole complete rebalance of everything is seriously getting on my nervers. It turned me off from this game in the past, and I find out that it still kind of does.

Rebalance does not mean completely wiping and rendering every build so far unplayable. Companies got that extremely wrong, GGG as well. Path of Exile is an excellent game, but that kind of updating in such a game really ruins it for me.

Not willing to make yet another build and have it ruined in a matter of weeks.

This game is clearly catering to those who burn through builds in a matter of weeks if not days or even hours.

I do wish it were possible that they could periodically declare LTS (Long Term Service) builds, such as Linux Mint and other Linux OSes do, which is a stable build that gets no new features (or balancing in the case of the game), and only gets bug fixes. But that does not seem to be the way this game company works, or any game company really. Such a model would probably need to be part of the theme of the game from the beginning.

I actually had the chance to blow through act iv merc last night with my facebreaker.. Icecrash is pretty fun. I decided to use something other than infernal blow.. i've done the whole thing except for malachai.. no deaths so far. Melee is looking boss in 2.0. So far, overall, i've been impressed with everything i've seen. All but the part where all of my level 20 gems are level 19 now. :/

So what is the current state of Evasion? Is it still a bad idea to go full evasion gear or have they added something to prevent you getting 1-shot?

So what is the current state of Evasion? Is it still a bad idea to go full evasion gear or have they added something to prevent you getting 1-shot?
As usual, your best defence against getting 1 shot is still life/es total, not armor or evasion.

That said, Evasion was basically OP last patch (arrow dodging made you projectile immune, acrobatics + phase acrobatics were enough additional mitigation that you only had to half-heartedly try to get a bit of evasion to be reliably hard to kill). This patch, they nerfed arrow dodging a TON and buffed armor (basically a flat 18% increase in armor effectiveness) enough that especially for any melee character I'd be looking at stacking armor + fortify + endurance charges for survival and rolling with that (especially if you take the chaos golem which is like another endurance charge).

As usual, your best defence against getting 1 shot is still life/es total, not armor or evasion.

That said, Evasion was basically OP last patch (arrow dodging made you projectile immune, acrobatics + phase acrobatics were enough additional mitigation that you only had to half-heartedly try to get a bit of evasion to be reliably hard to kill). This patch, they nerfed arrow dodging a TON and buffed armor (basically a flat 18% increase in armor effectiveness) enough that especially for any melee character I'd be looking at stacking armor + fortify + endurance charges for survival and rolling with that (especially if you take the chaos golem which is like another endurance charge).

Cool, good to know. I'm working on an armor guy atm.

Thanks. Just saw that you can buy gems from the vendor now. Never thought of this, but am loving the accessibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back