Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea i wouldn't let this game's learning curve dissuade you.

It really doesn't take that long to get the hang of things.

Do the +crit from daggers apply to spells? Can daggers also roll +spell damage and cast speed?

Yea i wouldn't let this game's learning curve dissuade you.

It really doesn't take that long to get the hang of things.

Do the +crit from daggers apply to spells? Can daggers also roll +spell damage and cast speed?

The +crit on daggers is global crit, so yes. They can roll spell damage, don't know about cast speed

The +crit on daggers is global crit, so yes. They can roll spell damage, don't know about cast speed

crazy... shit i might have to swap over to daggers!

Sorry for all the questions, but uh... here's another:

Does +spell damage effect a ranger's moves like fire or ice arrow? Or is that what "+elemental damage from weapons" is for?

I'm not really sure, I've only played a relatively limited amount of the game as far as builds and skill gems are concerned :D

Does +spell damage effect a ranger's moves like fire or ice arrow? Or is that what "+elemental damage from weapons" is for?

Questions are good, man! There's so much to learn about this game.

But you are correct: +elemental damage and +elemental damage with weapons both work on those skills, not cast damage.

Second statement would be correct.

Fire/ice arrow are not spells, it's just elemental, so the "+elemental damage from weapons" is what you want for melee weapons with elemental dmg.

Yeah I'm hoping the armor is worth a lot. Right now I think I need to focus more on getting better ES on my gear than anything else. I have to play suuuuper careful because I've only got about 1600ES at level 62. Once I can sort that out then I'll start looking for a better wand/wands to boost my damage some more. Do you think +9% cast speed is better than +60% crit chance and +10% crit multiplier for a dual ice spear totem build? Just curious because it's 3 points to get either of those.

You could go crit chance if you decide to go for a lightning/ice spear build but I'd go with cast speed IMHO if you aren't going the lightning route. Mainly because of the heavy penalty on totems, faster casting = more spears = more dmg = more cc.

cheers mates!

Just to make sure i understand crit correctly... if a move says 7% critical strike, and has a 600% chance to crit when it travels a certain distance (ice spear obviously), is it..

(7% * 600%) = 42% chance to crit
or (7% + 600%) = 607% chance to crit

I ask because I originally thought with +600% chance to crit my ice lance would be critting every time at long range, but it doesn't. So either it's the former of the two above, or there is something similar to Resilience in WoW in this game, which reduces % chance to crit.

cheers mates!

Just to make sure i understand crit correctly... if a move says 7% critical strike, and has a 600% chance to crit when it travels a certain distance (ice spear obviously), is it..

I ask because I originally thought with +600% chance to crit my ice lance would be critting every time at long range, but it doesn't. So either it's the former of the two above, or there is something similar to Resilience in WoW in this game, which reduces % chance to crit.

It's neither. Any of the crit %'s you see are referring to your base crit chance - otherwise any combination that added up to 100% would guarantee critical strikes. If you look at your character sheet, equip and unequip a piece of gear with crit chance and you'll see how it affects it.

cheers mates!

Multiplicative. Based on current chance to crit.

Keep in mind you can stack crit multiplier and crit chance on a skill like Ice Spear.

Okay word. So glad there is no Resilience lol

So is it worth trying to get Ice Spear close to 100% chance to crit?

Okay word. So glad there is no Resilience lol

So is it worth trying to get Ice Spear close to 100% chance to crit?

Obviously, that becomes more and more difficult as you go. You'll be stacking multiple crit passives, gear, gems, etc. That said, it can be pretty deadly with a good crit base to work with.

Also, crit chance supports on Ice Spear affect chance to crit without the distance restriction IIRC. 600% is still distance restricted, but additional chance to crit would not be.

I'm lvl 79 now. The experience gets REALLY slow at this point. It might be faster if you're running lvl 70+ maps, but they start getting pretty serious at lvl 68. Righteous FIre + Puncture anyone? Christ.

congrats! lvl 79 on hardcore is quite an accomplishment.

Rank 91 is not bad at all considering most of the top players have the experience of playing this for months and months.

Last edited:
Unless you are running a lightning shock ice spear based build, then no.

Added lightning damage support, static blows/chance to shock and then stack crit chance? I could get up to about 80% crit chance(at distance) on ice spear without modifying my build too much and without power charges. With power charges I could get to 90%, or I could skip the power charges and go with dual Kris's with spell damage for about the same crit and no need for building power charges with a no-damage ability(no damage because of dual totems).

Kinda relies on the totems being able to hit at the range where they get the crit bonus though. Crit chance would drop to like, half of that at close range which while still decent isn't really enough to guarantee shocks. Ice spear also doesn't pierce at range does it? It explodes instead and the tradeoff is the added crit chance I think. Decisions, decisions...lol

holy crap. I didn't realize you were hardcore level 79!

congrats big_aug!

I think I died in act1 normal. I don't play HC for a reason. There's too much stress.

Added lightning damage support, static blows/chance to shock and then stack crit chance? I could get up to about 80% crit chance(at distance) on ice spear without modifying my build too much and without power charges. With power charges I could get to 90%, or I could skip the power charges and go with dual Kris's with spell damage for about the same crit and no need for building power charges with a no-damage ability(no damage because of dual totems).

Kinda relies on the totems being able to hit at the range where they get the crit bonus though. Crit chance would drop to like, half of that at close range which while still decent isn't really enough to guarantee shocks. Ice spear also doesn't pierce at range does it? It explodes instead and the tradeoff is the added crit chance I think. Decisions, decisions...lol

That is correct regarding the combo. It also does rely on power charges. You can go dual daggers to get the crit chance up there but getting a good casting dagger is very hard, very rare.

Ice Spear not piercing at range you just use projectile weakness if you really wanted it to pierce. Also, part of the totem build strategy is knowing how and where to place your totem so that you maximize the crit. Summon skeletons in front to tank and position mobs where you want them. Or frost wall.

One of the caveats of dual totem is the heavy reliance on gear unfortunately. Most of the time you'd want at least windscream or dodre's damning to get 2x curses without having to spend all the points to get there. This would allow you to use say, elemental weakness (cold/light res reduction) + projectile weakness for KB/pierce, or critical weakness. You also want a 6L for maximum affect. Me going from a 4L to a 5L was a HUGE jump in DPS for me. Right now my 5L armor,

Ice Spear
GMP
Faster Casting
Increased critical dmg
Spell Totem

Might swap out the critical dmg for Iron Will currently and then when I get a 6L, add in reduced mana. I'm going an Iron Will/EB build with heavy life. That build is heavily gear dependent ><

If you're going the shock combo, the standard linking of gems looks like this usually

Ice Spear
GMP
Faster Casting
Spell Totem
Reduced Mana
Lightning support gem

I'm going ES/CI so I won't be doing EB. I mean I could, but I don't even know if you could call that "glass cannon"...more like "wet paper bag" cannon. So far dual totem seems less reliant on gear than other builds I've looked at, you need to make sure you get the right links/colours on your gear but the stats seem somewhat less important than for other builds. I want to get a 5L armor but I know it's going to cost a fair amount so I'm not sure exactly when I want to do it...I don't want to spend a fortune twice if I can avoid it. If I did get a 5L I'd probably go Increased crit dmg as well instead of reduced mana, mana isn't really an issue right now and that's with clarity, discipline *and* purity(with reduced mana linked).

Other than that I want to try out some other builds. I feel like getting this dual totem build to work has helped me learn a lot about the game and how the stats work and how everything comes together, I want to try something different and more active. Not planning on abandoning dual totem at all but something else to play for a totally different feel would be nice. Wand build maybe? So many options in this game, and they've apparently still got lots more to add! I'm excited :D

Got my first unique drop! A bow, and one that might be pretty useful on my ranger at that! Dropped with 8% quality and GGG sockets. I jeweler'd it to 4G sockets (but no links), and started cursing when I couldn't increase the quality with armor scraps. Yes, armor scraps. Whoops! Once I figured out what was wrong, I got it up to 20%. Now I just need to find some fusings to get it up to 4L....

infractem.jpg

Do uniques have drop timers like magic and rares? I've only seen 4-5 uniques drop since open beta started, but I've never noticed timers on them. They always disappear before I can grab them. I got this one solo farming The Ledge on merciless. I seem to get better drops solo farming, but that may be because I've built up my IIR and IIQ. Right now I need to re-gear my Ranger pretty badly, largely due to the resist penalty in Merciless. I had to give up two of my magic find items (ring and amulet), so that may change now.

Anyway, I wonder if this bow will be good enough to build around. Right now I'm relying pretty heavilly on my mana leach support with Ice Shot, which will be useless with that bow. Guess I'll have to grab some +mana on hit somewhere. I'm hoping the "on hit" affects are not included too.

EDIT: I just broke down and bought 18 more stash tabs. I have 2 tabs plum full of 4L items for trade, plus 6 tabs full of various rares (half of which are unID'd), in addition to a tab for each "class" (str, str/dex, etc) with decent gear I've been saving. Aaaahhh! I hope GGG implements their trading system soon. Forum selling and trade chat are a PITA.

Last edited:
I blew about 50 jewellers orbs tonight trying to get 5s on my unique mace tonight. no luck =( i got 4 s several times though but ended with my last jewellers at 2s

You want to see the most godly piece of evasion equipment I've ever seen?
Ever wondered what someone might use the insanely expensive Mirror of Kalandra on?

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/120527

That dude should just buy all the MoK's that he can (even the ones for real money on auction sites), make copies of that chest, and sell them for real money. He'd probably make a killing.

You want to see the most godly piece of evasion equipment I've ever seen?
Ever wondered what someone might use the insanely expensive Mirror of Kalandra on?

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/120527

And that's what I was trying to say about the gear being generic. HP, resists, and increased base armor type stat. That's all you need on all pieces. The only ones with any real variations that matter are jewelery (spell dmg, ele dmg, attack speed, leech, all attributes, all resist, etc)

sick chest though.

I did find some sick items recently and made a small fortune for myself :D

Last edited:
Yea it's too bad staves and 2h swords are pretty worthless. I found a 6L 2h reaver sword and had to vendor for a divine.

You know that the game is still in Beta. So if I were you I wouldn't vendor those as they are revamping melee soon. That sword might be the next best thing after the patch.

I have the worst drop luck. 97% rarity and I got one rare in 6 Ledge runs.

That is bad luck. But you can't have bad luck forever! (Well, technically you can...) Anyway, as said quantity is generally better than rarity, but ideally you'll have a bit of both. I've had to give up most of my MF for survivability in merciless, but even so I'm still practically tripping over rares. Found a few more uniques, even:

queensdecree.jpg
doedresdamning.jpg

The sword doesn't seem that great, though I've seen people posting in trade chat wanting to buy one, so there's that. The ring will be pretty nice though. After rolling some new rings, trading a few new pieces of gear and (lastly) replacing my Haste aura with Purity, I've finally got my resistances up to snuff for merciless I think. Well, except for chaos :eek: I'll be at 77/75/77/-42 if I remove one of my other rings for that one. Will lose a lot of damage output though...

Big_aug is right about stats on the gear. It wasn't an issue until basically act 2 merciless, but I've had to resort to stacking lots of HP (and of course resists) to get decent survivability in merciless+. I'm not playing in the Hardcore league either, so there's not that element of being overly cautious. They need to rework the implementation of chaos damage and, to a lesser extent, bleeding. The resistance penalty for chaos damage should be lessened, probably half of what it is now or perhaps even by two thirds. That would be either -15/-30 (half) or -10/-20 (two thirds reduction) for cruel and merciless, respectively as opposed to -30 and -60 like we have now. They may then need to change mods on the gear accordingly (maybe reduce the max mod to 20% instead of 30% and so on). Bleeding should maybe be a percentage of your HP instead of the damage done. Both of these changes would still make chaos damage and bleeding dangerous, but not require to stack ton of HP on all your gear unless you were going for a full tank build.

Wow, I had no idea unique equipment could have those major stats in the passive tree such as additional minions or additional curse :eek:

Last weeks server upgrade fixed all of my constant disconnects. Finally got some quality PoE time in this past weekend!!

I blew about 50 jewellers orbs tonight trying to get 5s on my unique mace tonight. no luck =( i got 4 s several times though but ended with my last jewellers at 2s

you're talking about a 2-hander... right?
Big_aug is right about stats on the gear. It wasn't an issue until basically act 2 merciless, but I've had to resort to stacking lots of HP (and of course resists) to get decent survivability in merciless+.

Yea he is. I'm only in cruel, but i can see it coming. Everyone needs All Resist and Vitality :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back