Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just know that i've spent time looking for more ES nodes, and can't find shit.

Ended up having to go to the shadow tree for their %ES/%ER hybrid talents.

Does life leech apply to spells?

here's my witch: Chocko's Witch

I have a lot of points spent on offense, and as i was plotting out my spec to show you guys, i saw a ton of HP nodes i could grab, but not so many ES nodes.

Is my spec beyond repair?

You need to take all of those ES, mana regen and life nodes near your starting point, then determine which keystone will complement the build. There are some nice mana nodes and regen in the Templar area, as well. At this point, without respeccing, the Templar tree may be too far away. You've focused mainly on crit, cold and overall resists.

If you're focused on crit, pop a Freezing Pulse with Fork and LMP/GMP (plus a couple more supports if you're socketed) for your main attack. Maybe a Ice Spear totem for back up. Fork will extend the range to keep you out of harm's way until you can hit up some of the life and ES nodes. Since you're already moving in the Shadow tree, grab some Nullification (2 nearby) soon.

As far as I know Fork doesn't work with freezing pulse because FP's projectiles always pierce and fork doesn't proc on a projectile that pierces.

Well, there goes that idea.

Freezing Pulse can still be made to work really well though. Either go for quality freezing pulse(as high as you can get) if you can afford it, or link in faster projectiles. Freezing Pulse + GMP + Faster Projectiles + Faster Casting works well. Replace faster projectiles with Added Lightning if you can get a high quality freezing pulse and pick up the static blows node on the passive tree. The thing is, mana cost gets pretty extreme at that point. Another reason why health is good is because you can stack a ton of health and get huge health regen(and life leech/life on hit), and then either go blood magic or use blood magic support gems and you end up with a much bigger "mana" pool that regens really fast and also protects you from dying.

Last edited:
Freezing Pulse can still be made to work really well though. Either go for quality freezing pulse(as high as you can get) if you can afford it, or link in faster projectiles. Freezing Pulse + GMP + Faster Projectiles + Faster Casting works well. Replace faster projectiles with Added Lightning if you can get a high quality freezing pulse and pick up the static blows node on the passive tree. The thing is, mana cost gets pretty extreme at that point. Another reason why health is good is because you can stack a ton of health and get huge health regen(and life leech/life on hit), and then either go blood magic or use blood magic support gems and you end up with a much bigger "mana" pool that regens really fast and also protects you from dying.

Yea, my current FP build is FP->LMP->Faster Casting->Faster Projectiles. All of which have some quality. I don't run out of mana due to my >75mp/s. It is quite effective. I was just hoping that extra Fork gem I'd leveled would work with it as the fifth link.

I dropped my second GMP gem on my Lightning Arrow bow Shadow, which is ridiculous.

You need to take all of those ES, mana regen and life nodes near your starting point, then determine which keystone will complement the build. There are some nice mana nodes and regen in the Templar area, as well. At this point, without respeccing, the Templar tree may be too far away. You've focused mainly on crit, cold and overall resists.

If you're focused on crit, pop a Freezing Pulse with Fork and LMP/GMP (plus a couple more supports if you're socketed) for your main attack. Maybe a Ice Spear totem for back up. Fork will extend the range to keep you out of harm's way until you can hit up some of the life and ES nodes. Since you're already moving in the Shadow tree, grab some Nullification (2 nearby) soon.

Thanks for taking the time to check out what i've been doing.

By the first paragraph, it sound to me like you're saying i'm missing a keystone. I was on my way over to those two Nullification talents, which actually seem good regardless of whether you're going full ES, full ER, or hybrid. But points are coming so slowly now, i do believe i'd have to respec to get anywhere meaningful (like another keystone). i'll have to take another look at my options.

Thanks for taking the time to check out what i've been doing.

By the first paragraph, it sound to me like you're saying i'm missing a keystone. I was on my way over to those two Nullification talents, which actually seem good regardless of whether you're going full ES, full ER, or hybrid. But points are coming so slowly now, i do believe i'd have to respec to get anywhere meaningful (like another keystone). i'll have to take another look at my options.

Well, you have 2 great curse keystones now, but you're essentially a glass cannon. What's your skill gem assortment look like? Your crit passive effectiveness hinges on which spells you are using.

I'd drop a couple crit nodes in favor of 2x Nullification and 1x Fitness over there in the Shadow tree. You have a nice set of life nodes right under Mental Acuity.

Try for good cold and spell damage rolls on wands (and faster cast speed) in favor of the raw damage nodes. Balance them out if you can.

I have a +30% spell damage +22% cold damage and +14% cast speed wand I've been scumming with for 15 levels due to the fact that it really bumps that baseline dps.

Well, you have 2 great curse keystones now, but you're essentially a glass cannon. What's your skill gem assortment look like? Your crit passive effectiveness hinges on which spells you are using.

I'd drop a couple crit nodes in favor of 2x Nullification and 1x Fitness over there in the Shadow tree. You have a nice set of life nodes right under Mental Acuity.

Try for good cold and spell damage rolls on wands (and faster cast speed) in favor of the raw damage nodes. Balance them out if you can.

I have a +30% spell damage +22% cold damage and +14% cast speed wand I've been scumming with for 15 levels due to the fact that it really bumps that baseline dps.

Again, thanks for the help. I got to 62 last night and spent a point in 8% more life. You're right, having those nodes will make a huge difference. I don't know why i mostly ignored life nodes. It was rather "oh maybe later" kinda thing, which got me stuck where i am.

that one passive gave me 59 hp. That's more than some of the HP rolls i have on gear. Crazy.

I also got to equip an offhand that i had waiting forever with 59% spell damage and a lot of other sweet stuff.

I am currently using Ice Spear with Faster Projectiles, Increased Critical Damage, and Increased Item Rarity. I swap this one out for Increased Crit sometimes.

And i'm on my way to do as you advised--swap Arctic Breath for another Ice Spear with Lesser Multiple Projectiles and Faster Casting.

(Yea, 4-linked really is the best i've found :()

I am also still using a blue dagger.
60% Global Crit
36% Spell Damage
63% Spell Crit

Here's a question--what's the difference between the different daggers? There are 3 kinds, 40% base crit, 60% base crit, and 80% base crit. Is it like 3 tiers of goodness?

Spewn can you post your pasive tree?
I am at level 30 now working on one that a person gave me, he was doing 1 to 64 in 24 hours on twitch last weekend and he was dual ice totem. DID GREAT.
Where I get screwed up is someone post a 90 tree going in 9 different directions and I am thinking (or not) which way did they go??? LOL
Yes his build has Chaos Innoculation but he did not have it when he took a break it 56 and I had to get some sleep so I missed anything else.
And of course the twitch bookmark didn't work so I don't know who it was.

Right now I and leveling with summons with life and health gems, skele and flamestrike and no problems.
I am not a fast player just cruising after work. I know they said don't think it will get easy until you get past 45.

Spewn can you post your pasive tree?

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...BxcHzw23Q0N-E37Di9-aB62Pr5OwY8GvyHfPq99f60g==

That's my dual-totem passive tree so far. The shield nodes on the left-hand side are probably temporary, I'll likely end up respec'ing out of them at some point when I have better gear. I haven't played her much lately as I've been concentrating more on my Lightning Arrow Marauder, so I couldn't really tell you where to go at which level. I pretty much just followed a build I found on the PoE forums for dual-totem ice spear.

Edit: I was just playing my witch again for a bit and I have to say, either I'm really lacking on gear or dual ice spear has really bad clear speed. I can move 3x as fast on my Marauder, easily, and I have much better survivability if I do get hit. The dual totem play style can probably get through tougher areas by being super careful, but in terms of grinding an area that isn't terribly threatening LA wins hands down. I know a lot of people say LA is overpowered and it may be, but even with a nerf it would still be a lot better than dual totem. Maybe with higher level gems, or better gear(more spell damage maybe) it would be faster but as it stands...well, let's just say I reminded myself why I rolled a new character.

Last edited:
Patch notes for the next patch (ver .1.0.2) are up. Things are looking pretty good for the Duelist!

thanks that is basically the same thing I am working on.

And thanks big time for the info. Not having played this chr in high levels I just didn't know.
After the big lightning nerfs I guess everyone went cold, but I expect more and more nerfs to all classes before its over.
yep 1 class 1 build in the end just like all the other games. They can put 20,000 nodes in these trees and that doesn't mean anything.
As soon as someone says oh wait this works try this, nerf.
I am sure there are builds out there that no one has ever heard of that the guy is saying and never will LOL
Wow calls it balance and diablo just does it and doesn't call it anything.

They have a long ways to go on mele and while that is happening ranged will get nerfed over and over.

AIX was that HC
ps how did you get that gem in the wand

So whats a good DPS, currently lvl 40 i just started cruel and i have 840 with my heavy strike gem, bout 360 for leap slam, and 313 on sweep are my main ability's while using staffs, i feel like Donatello from TMNT in time :)

Last edited:
I hope they don't change the gem reward too much. I'm planning on creating a ranger to get LMP in act 2 for my witch's frozen pulse, lol.

I don't get why they let frozen pulse use LMP/GMP... they all overlap anyway, just seems OP.

I hate the trend of labeling everything OP, but FP can be considered such. They're working on bringing other skills up to that level, but more melee balance is probably coming first.

Going to repeat myself, because i'm still confused:

What's the difference between different tiers of gear? The easiest example i can give is daggers. Some have a base modifier of 40% global crit, while others have 60% global crit, and then finally others have 80% global crit.

Are there just 3 tiers of 'goodness'? or are they all balanced and i'm not understanding what the 80% daggers are lacking over the 40% daggers?

I've seen the same thing with gear. Some chests have more base Energy Shield than others, even though they're dropping in the same area. Can they roll higher stats or something? Or are they just a lower tier of gear?

Going to repeat myself, because i'm still confused:

What's the difference between different tiers of gear? The easiest example i can give is daggers. Some have a base modifier of 40% global crit, while others have 60% global crit, and then finally others have 80% global crit.

Are there just 3 tiers of 'goodness'? or are they all balanced and i'm not understanding what the 80% daggers are lacking over the 40% daggers?

I've seen the same thing with gear. Some chests have more base Energy Shield than others, even though they're dropping in the same area. Can they roll higher stats or something? Or are they just a lower tier of gear?

Sometimes, yeah, it's just a lower tier of gear. If you're in a level 60 area then gear requiring up to like...level 63, I think, can drop there. Up to.

In the case of daggers look at the other stats. The 40 crit daggers are faster and require more dex and less int, the 60/80 crit daggers are slow and require more int and less dex.

http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data

AIX was that HC
ps how did you get that gem in the wand

Yes, all the race events are done in Hardcore. The gem is actually in a club though, not a wand, since I had just started a Templar.

Speaking of crafting the Doedre's Damning, i see on the POE site it has fixed stats. Does that mean that the itemlevel of the paula ring is irrelevant?

/phew..

just finally read through the entire thread.. wanted to before I started posting..

so.. 2 weeks ago, I downloaded and started playing.. went Ranger first.. sitting at like 32 in act 3..

but then started playing various alts.. love this game so far. never played ARPG before.. so its all new, very confusing still on the currency stuff, etc..

I have had zero de sync issues such as many of the posts speak to here.. sorry for those.. in fact, I have had ZERO tech issues what so ever with PoE.. none, not once.

playing pretty much solo.. grouped for vaal on the ranger.. ..ranger is way to squishy a build..

I enjoyed watching the conversion of Big_aug... in this thread.. and thanks for the pointers about hitting HP nodes from the gate.. that the dps passives are largely poor...

saved a bunch of links... lenin,.. thanks for the great useful posts...as well as AIX, and a few others..

definitively my new obsession, this game is...

DPS nodes aren't really poor, it's more that hp nodes have more weight, especially in hardcore mode where survivability is the only goal. There are a number of cool builds that make use of high dps, but going with a pure glass cannon build would be absolute folly. You can play a balanced character, but to ignore hp or defensives will not get you past Act 1 Merciless.

WTF did they change?
I was playing a marauder in act3 normal last weekend with a buddy and his ranger.
Last night we went back to play them and I was in the warehouse and BAM dead.
Then I went back and I have a LOT of life leach and never seen my health go down before this.
Everything was ripping my ass. He said the same thing he was 2 shotted by some type of fire caster.
I thought I was in cruel or merc

^^ I don't think they changed that much, aside from a huge rework on the duelist's talents. If you had points in any of the ones they changed, you got a talent refund.

DPS nodes aren't really poor, it's more that hp nodes have more weight, especially in hardcore mode where survivability is the only goal. There are a number of cool builds that make use of high dps, but going with a pure glass cannon build would be absolute folly. You can play a balanced character, but to ignore hp or defensives will not get you past Act 1 Merciless.
thanks for the clarification..

dont have a HC toon yet.. need to learn alot more before I go there.. but that first toon, the 32 ranger.. is a glass cannon.. might not be too late to fix at that level..but I understand the point.. cant go pure dps unless I have mad skillz.. which I dont.. LOL

thanks for the clarification..

dont have a HC toon yet.. need to learn alot more before I go there.. but that first toon, the 32 ranger.. is a glass cannon.. might not be too late to fix at that level..but I understand the point.. cant go pure dps unless I have mad skillz.. which I dont.. LOL

Even if you did have mad skills... there are just some monsters in the game that you can't avoid their damage.

At 32 you should still be able to balance out some survivability before things get too rough.

I think I'll actually download and give this game a go this weekend. So many things I have been putting off, going to be a big gaming weekend.

Any resources for a first timer?

I'm finished with this game. These games are about loot. I want to get cool stuff for my character. I don't want to spend huge amounts of time searching for items, sending messages and PMs, and price negotiating only to come away with nothing and having to start the process over. There are the multiday "auctions" in the forums that never seem to end and the ones that drag on forever so the seller can get an extra chaos orb or two on top of a multiple exalt offer.

Buying/selling/trading in this game is atrocious. It worked 10 years ago, but it doesn't work now. I'll probably give it another go if they ever implement an automated system.

I'm finished with this game. These games are about loot. I want to get cool stuff for my character. I don't want to spend huge amounts of time searching for items, sending messages and PMs, and price negotiating only to come away with nothing and having to start the process over. There are the multiday "auctions" in the forums that never seem to end and the ones that drag on forever so the seller can get an extra chaos orb or two on top of a multiple exalt offer.

Buying/selling/trading in this game is atrocious. It worked 10 years ago, but it doesn't work now. I'll probably give it another go if they ever implement an automated system.

While i'm also very eager for them to implement this, I haven't had that bad of an experience to make me stop playing.

Granted, I traded a lot in D2, so i'm used to it.

But i really would love to be able to quickly browse someone's trading post and grab some orb conversions.

You need to set up a group of active aquaintances for late game trading to be efficient. Dealing with trade channel and forum sales is definitely hit and miss otherwise. You may as well ask here if you need something, too.

You need to set up a group of active aquaintances for late game trading to be efficient. Dealing with trade channel and forum sales is definitely hit and miss otherwise. You may as well ask here if you need something, too.

I have quite a large friends list full of high level active people. That doesn't solve anything. I'm not even talking about crazy high end stuff. Hell, I don't mind waiting on auctions for legit items going for 5, 10, 15+ exalts. That's expected.

I'm talking about every idiot who thinks they have the best item in the game. They won't let you buy it out. They won't end it early. They drag it on. All that for an item worth a couple GCP or an Exalt.

It goes for selling your own items as well. I don't want to spam trade or post in forums to sell crap items that are going to go for one Alch to one GCP. I want to put a price on it, put it up on an AH, and forget about it. If it sells, great. If not, I'll use it for a vendor recipe.

Yea, the rumored offline trading would make the junk sales go much faster. Any particular item you're looking for?

I can typically offload things or make trades with friends for silly 1 alch to 1gcp sales, but I would be a lot better off if I could just toss it up on the site and have it done by the time I got home from work.

Yea, the rumored offline trading would make the junk sales go much faster. Any particular item you're looking for?

I can typically offload things or make trades with friends for silly 1 alch to 1gcp sales, but I would be a lot better off if I could just toss it up on the site and have it done by the time I got home from work.

Not really looking for something particular. I just want to quickly look and see if I can buy a better item now and again without having to use the gear search page and then go through each one seeing if the seller will even respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back