Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
she is in the temple or whatever, waypoint is on the 3rd level and she is right by the waypoint?
I have done all her quest. I guess I will go back to her and see if maybe she popped up with something after sending me to find 3 statues and a talc quest.

It's part of the fun to get to high lvls, die and reroll new character :D

Why wouldn't you just continue with the same character, out of interest? I didn't think there was any actual difference between core/hardcore.

she is in the temple or whatever, waypoint is on the 3rd level and she is right by the waypoint?
I have done all her quest. I guess I will go back to her and see if maybe she popped up with something after sending me to find 3 statues and a talc quest.

Did you destroy the blockage with the talc? Did you then, you know, walk past said blockage?

I just died at lvl 83 doing Vaal runs as a service for currency. It was like my 10th one, and I wasn't paying attention and was way too casual. Got one shot lol

Ouch RIP :/ You wouldn't happen to have a decent 2h mace around level 60 in your stash you are looking to sell by chance would you?

The NASCAR race season kicks off... Oops...

Race Season Announcement link.

The Path of Exile Race Season kicks off February 22st and lasts until April 7th. Basically you can enter as many races as you want on new fresh characters and banks for each event. The races vary from solo to group and 1 hour to 1 week in length. You collect points and as you cross thresholds in point accumulation you receive prizes. These are Uniques with the same stats as the appropriately named item already in the game but with different graphics. Also there are Demigod items that will be distributed at the end of each race and season. There will be lifetime rewards also but TBD. There is a total of 109 races to enter and some run concurrent to other races to give more people a chance to win things. Of course they are at varying hours to facilitate real life obligations.

For those at work and can't access the website incoming text blob.

One of Path of Exile’s most interesting features is the short term race event system. Today we are announcing the first season of race events (which runs from February 23-April 7, NZ time). There’s a summary page with your progress towards the new season’s exclusive rewards here. This news post contains a much more thorough explanation of how this system was designed and how it works.

Path of Exile’s race events were really popular during the Closed Beta. We had half of the active server population turn up to play in certain events. Our first month of Open Beta was spent fixing immediate problems while we let the economies of the permanent leagues develop. We are now ready to start a full schedule of races.

A race event is a fresh league that lasts for anywhere from an hour to a week. They all take place in their own separate economies with new characters. Your existing in-game wealth doesn’t help in these races - they test your playskill and luck. The leagues generally reward players who can level up quickly and place in the top ranks of their character class. There are also rewards for objectives like finishing side quests or full-clearing areas first.

Rather than running self-contained individual races, we’ve now structured the events into seasons. Season One starts this weekend (February 23, NZ time) and runs for just over six weeks (until April 7, NZ time). There are prizes for top-placing people in each race, prizes for people who achieve good results for a set of events in a season and prizes for people who finish at the top of the realm overall in a given season. Seasons of races help encourage players to play in multiple events and allow us to provide prizes that transcend individual events - giving players something meaningful and special to work towards over several days or weeks.

In past events we gave out orbs and other currency items as prizes. Because these items had a known value, this had an adverse effect on both the economy and the incentives to play races. If the prizes were low, races seemed unappealing. If the prizes were high, it became mandatory to participate in races to keep up with the inflation the orbs caused. We have avoided this in Open Beta by designing new custom prizes for race events. We still want them to be tradeable, but we want to let the market decide their value.

The prizes are a variety of existing unique items and a very upgradable base item type (Coral Ring) that all have alternate art in-game. These particular pieces of special artwork are only available from this season of race events - other seasons will have different items. While the power level of the uniques (and upgradable base ring) is relatively low, they have high trade value because of the exclusive icons. For example, most high level players have access to a Goldrim (unique Battered Cap) when they need to twink resistances on a new character, but few people will have the version with special collectable artwork. The items are itemlevel 100, which means that there are no restrictions on how they can be rerolled. Note that these items are not better in any way than the regular versions you’d find in game, other than the fact they have special artwork. The list of items that are prizes for the first season are shown on this summary page. The sockets and values of the mods on the items are random within the regular ranges. The specific values on that page are only for illustration.

Shortly after a race is over, you are awarded reward points based on your performance in the race. Please note that these reward points (please use the initialism RP if you want to abbreviate them) are not the same type of points that are purchased and spent on microtransaction items. These are two completely unrelated systems.
The season’s prizes exist at various RP thresholds. You are awarded the prize as soon as you cross that threshold. For example, our first prize is awarded when you hit 15 RP, which will take a few events for a decent player (or one event if you’re very skilled/lucky).

Season RP values do not carry across to the next season. Each season has a new set of prizes and is an opportunity for a fresh start. Your total reward points are still tracked as lifetime points which are eligible for other prizes as you participate in multiple seasons.

During the Closed Beta, we gave out Demigod’s Presence unique amulets to the top players of each character class in an event. In the Open Beta, we’re keeping this concept, but with a new item. For most short races, the top player of each class will receive a Demigod’s Triumph unique wreath. Like all other race reward items, this helmet can be traded with other players.

We will also be adding a ladder of reward points for the current season. This ladder will show which accounts have the most points so far and will help us track who is due to win the overall season prizes. At this stage we’re expecting to give alternate art Demigod’s Triumphs to the top 20 people in the overall ladder of reward points for this season. Details of this will be announced when we have the ladder of reward points implemented soon.

There are prizes for reaching lifetime reward points thresholds as well. Lifetime reward points are not reset between seasons, so if you play in many seasons over the life of the game you’ll be able to win some awesome rewards. We haven’t yet announced the schedule of prizes for lifetime reward points, but it’s coming soon!

We’ve put together a schedule of 109 events over 44 days, which start and end on a weekend. The events occur in four different timeslots which are chosen to hopefully give equal opportunities to players in America, Europe and NZ/Australia. We’re looking to improve these times for subsequent seasons based on feedback. Most of the events are between 1 and 4 hours in duration. Two of the events last for a week and have other shorter events occurring at the same time. It’s up to you to decide whether it’s more important to go for success in the week long events, the smaller events that occur at the same time, or both. The number of events ramps up gradually over the course of the season so that players have more opportunity to catch up.

We understand that this system greatly favours players who play in more events. That’s true of almost any sport or hobby. We’ve pitched the prizes so that there are still cool things to win even if you can only play in one event per week.

We reserve the right to change the number of reward points awarded for different objectives as we get feedback and data from early races. We may increase or decrease certain thresholds that reward points are granted at depending on what levels players get to. To be clear, I’m not talking about changing the thresholds for receiving the alternate art prizes - those aren’t being modified once the season has started.

We have a lot of interesting league types coming soon. In addition to the regular set of party, solo, and turbo, we’re discussing some other interesting twists. Burning Ground or Blood Magic leagues are the type of options that we’re experimenting with internally to see what is fun in a race setting. We expect that most or all of the events in the first season will be in hardcore mode.

For a calendar of events and for information about the season prizes, please check out the Season One page.

We’re really excited about this race system and the first season! I’m going to try to play in as many events as I can. Good luck!

Last edited:
Love it.
Don't love the sleep I've been losing ... one more docks run ... one more map ... ok stop that, need to sleep ... no wait I can spend a few minutes organizing my stash ... oh hey is this an upgrade I had sitting in here ? ... no... hmm well I really need more ES, maybe if I look at my spec and I change some points around. ... oh hey look it's 2am...shit.

Yes I had done the talc quest but I didn't proceed at that time I had other things to do.
When I got back to the game I never went back.
Last night I went back down there and followed it and got to the Barracks.
thanks for the help

++++++++++++++++
saw some videos of guys doing speed runs. MAN they can spec and inventory and update items in about 3 seconds.. WOW
the videos are amazing....I ain't trying it, I need sleep and sanity....level 40 in 3 hours....are you kidding me

Races are a completely seperate league, right? Races aren't something that appeal to me even though I'd probably do well at it. Personally, I hate anything that splits the population into groups.

Races are a completely seperate league, right? Races aren't something that appeal to me even though I'd probably do well at it. Personally, I hate anything that splits the population into groups.

They are separated, but it doesn't really split the population as these races, at least the ones coming up, only runs for 1 to several hours. Once it ends, that's it, players will be back to playing their usual hardcore or default league's character.

They are separated, but it doesn't really split the population as these races, at least the ones coming up, only runs for 1 to several hours. Once it ends, that's it, players will be back to playing their usual hardcore or default league's character.

Ah I see. I thought it was a 6 week race. It's a 6 week season with multiple races... hence the nascar comparison lol

Love it.
Don't love the sleep I've been losing ... one more docks run ... one more map ... ok stop that, need to sleep ... no wait I can spend a few minutes organizing my stash ... oh hey is this an upgrade I had sitting in here ? ... no... hmm well I really need more ES, maybe if I look at my spec and I change some points around. ... oh hey look it's 2am...shit.
Right? This is how almost every night has been for me since this damn game came out.
Race events tend to be pretty fun on PoE.

Yea I'll probably try one out, but i have no illusions of doing well lol

I'm more looking forward to the open world PVP leagues they put in.

I believe you get dropped into default league after the race, so if that is the case it's not really an issue.

I believe you get dropped into default league after the race, so if that is the case it's not really an issue.

That's half correct. The races all take place in custom Hardcore leagues (1 per event):

- Characters that die during the event get removed from the league immediately and moved to the default league just like dieing in the regular HC league.

- Characters that survive the duration of the event are transferred into the standard Hardcore league afterward, along with "remove only" stash tabs that you can transfer your items from into your normal stash space.

The one thing that pisses me off the most in this game is the Desync bullshit! All my HC have died from it. God damnit..desync and flicker mobs are just hell.

The one thing that pisses me off the most in this game is the Desync bullshit! All my HC have died from it. God damnit..desync and flicker mobs are just hell.

flicker is brutal as shit.

I've got my ice witch up to 58 now, just farming act 1 merciless. I've received a ton of upgrades so hopefully i can begin progressing again.

Vendors in merciless are awesome too. Twice i've grabbed a 6-socketed item for 1 transmutation orb, only to turn it around for 7 jewelers. Sexy.

flicker is brutal as shit.

I've got my ice witch up to 58 now, just farming act 1 merciless. I've received a ton of upgrades so hopefully i can begin progressing again.

Vendors in merciless are awesome too. Twice i've grabbed a 6-socketed item for 1 transmutation orb, only to turn it around for 7 jewelers. Sexy.

At least after your first play through you will know where to expect flicker mobs (except maps I guess). Always good to have a totem skill handy for those situations. A boss like Kraityn though is just bullshit sometimes though, depending on your build.

I honestly haven't had too much trouble with desync - not more than any other online game I've played anyway. Apparently it's worse on some gateways and for different playstyles though. Hopefully they roll out some sort of solution to alleviate the issue.

Did a bunch of Catacombs runs last night. Much more fun than Docks, plus there is a decent chance at a loot chest at the end. Got several chaos orbs, half dozen alchs, a few qual gems (one was +16%!), chisels, 2 maps, a unique (minion boots), and saw several mid-60's ilevel stuff that I simply wasn't seeing drop in docks.

If you don't have maps to run, I suggest running Catacombs instead of Docks. The entrance is almost always only 1-2 screens north of the WP in the marketplace. Set up a TP there and have a party member do a TP when finished. The chest room is usually in the far South or Southwest corner if the map points SW at the entrance, and usually South or East if it points SE at the entrance. (that is, the line from the zone in to the first door points SW or SE).

While doing straight runs to the chest is good, I find that it is just as well clearing the whole place or just wander till you hit the chest room if your group is able to clear fast. The biggest issues are champ packs of Cold Caster Skellies or Caster Undying, but some patience and doorway usage makes it safe.

Did a bunch of Catacombs runs last night. Much more fun than Docks, plus there is a decent chance at a loot chest at the end. Got several chaos orbs, half dozen alchs, a few qual gems (one was +16%!), chisels, 2 maps, a unique (minion boots), and saw several mid-60's ilevel stuff that I simply wasn't seeing drop in docks.

If you don't have maps to run, I suggest running Catacombs instead of Docks. The entrance is almost always only 1-2 screens north of the WP in the marketplace. Set up a TP there and have a party member do a TP when finished. The chest room is usually in the far South or Southwest corner if the map points SW at the entrance, and usually South or East if it points SE at the entrance. (that is, the line from the zone in to the first door points SW or SE).

While doing straight runs to the chest is good, I find that it is just as well clearing the whole place or just wander till you hit the chest room if your group is able to clear fast. The biggest issues are champ packs of Cold Caster Skellies or Caster Undying, but some patience and doorway usage makes it safe.

How'd you get so many Alchemy orbs? Those have become my favorite orb, but my vendor runs are yielding really poor shards. Sometimes i even get items which roll the +rarity or +quantity, and don't get a shard from the item. not sure wtf.

How many Alchemy orbs would you trade for an exalted orb? (this is the most annoying part of the game for me--not having any idea what the value of things are)

How many Alchemy orbs would you trade for an exalted orb? (this is the most annoying part of the game for me--not having any idea what the value of things are)

www.poeex.info gives a pretty good starting point.

So to answre your questions - abut 30 alchs for it. Good luck actually getting someone to trade you that many alchs though. Might be better to break the exalt into gcp or chaos first.

www.poeex.info gives a pretty good starting point.

So to answre your questions - abut 30 alchs for it. Good luck actually getting someone to trade you that many alchs though. Might be better to break the exalt into gcp or chaos first.

Thanks for that! That'll always be in my browser now along with the poe recipes =P

I reinstalled the game yesterday, I read a few posts and people suggest a Marauder as a first char.

Did that.

Holy crap it's boring. So . Slow.

Any other suggestion for a first char through that's a bit more fast paced?

Any other suggestion for a first char through that's a bit more fast paced?

Every char is slow till ~lvl 30 when you start getting enough skill gems + passives to up your damage+speed. If you can manage to skimp on Health Flasks, you can stack up on Mana and just use expensive abilities to speed killing.

Every char is slow till ~lvl 30 when you start getting enough skill gems + passives to up your damage+speed. If you can manage to skimp on Health Flasks, you can stack up on Mana and just use expensive abilities to speed killing.

It's not the killing that's slow it's the animation :)

Marauders are slow because of the speed penalty. Try to find some movement speed increase boots. Also, if you're using a 2 hander they are going to be slower.... naturally.

I honestly would not reccomend starting with a Maurader. A bow Ranger or a claw Shadow would feel faster.

If only Freezing Pulse wasn't the own-all-be-all spell, the game would be much more interesting.

I agree. I was tired of using it so i swapped to Arctic Breath with lesser multiple projectiles.

Still hits pretty damn hard and now i don't have to be in melee range anymore.

I honestly would not reccomend starting with a Maurader. A bow Ranger or a claw Shadow would feel faster.

The shadow tree is sick as shit!

Anyone race in today's 1-hour solo event at noon?

I managed to get a shadow to lvl 12 using melee. Leaders were lvl 20. Hit a wall once I reached the Rocky Climb though since I had about 115 health and was getting destroyed by ranged, then I remembered I could buy coral rings for 3xID scrolls and that helped me get past Brutus.

Next race is tonight at 10PM EST. Gonna give it another go!

Anyone race in today's 1-hour solo event at noon?

I managed to get a shadow to lvl 12 using melee. Leaders were lvl 20. Hit a wall once I reached the Rocky Climb though since I had about 115 health and was getting destroyed by ranged, then I remembered I could buy coral rings for 3xID scrolls and that helped me get past Brutus.

Next race is tonight at 10PM EST. Gonna give it another go!

Nice! That sounds like it really tests your knowledge of the game.

Question: how much would you pay for a +11% quality gem?

a 11% qual gem will always have at least the value of a partial GCP since there is a recipe to melt them to make a GCP (can't remember if it's a combinred total of 30% qual or 40% qual)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back