Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do have one but its very small (read: dead). I can get you invited if you want and you'll be free to use our guild stash space. There are only about 4 people that play regularly in the guild. And there's a few people active in this thread that I believe aren't in the guild. Message me IGN: Legacymancy. I'm SSF though so I'm not sure if I'll be able to invite while in that char.

------------

Speaking of that char. Lvl 83 after this weekend on my SC SSF Necromancer. Working towards getting the new minion helm "The Baron", but being SSF its kind of impossible to just get. I did get lucky with a 5 to 1 prophecy, giving me a Tabula. Then in my first Wharf map I got the new Zombie Slam threshold jewel, and shortly after Geofri's Sanctuary.

The plan is to have the baron with just barely over 1k strength to get the life leech, then Geofri's Sanc having ZO giving me passive ES regen.

Leveling was a huge pain the ass up until my zombies hit lvl 17 and I hit res cap. Now the only thing that gets me are perandus packs, which melt my zombies

Question, is getting 6 sockets on an item harder or getting all 6 links on the said 6 sockets harder?

IIRC, one of them has 1/1500 odds or something like that? But I can't remember.

I had a 6s white ES chest piece drop last night, took me no more than 20 fusings to get it 6l, so I am now officially using that, probably for a while.

Also, would the combination of an Orb of Scouring and Orb of Alchemy have the same overall effect as an Orb of Chaos? I upgraded the 6l chest but I will eventually want to work on rerolling that rare for a bit (SSF here also).

Question, is getting 6 sockets on an item harder or getting all 6 links on the said 6 sockets harder?

IIRC, one of them has 1/1500 odds or something like that? But I can't remember.

I had a 6s white ES chest piece drop last night, took me no more than 20 fusings to get it 6l, so I am now officially using that, probably for a while.

Also, would the combination of an Orb of Scouring and Orb of Alchemy have the same overall effect as an Orb of Chaos? I upgraded the 6l chest but I will eventually want to work on rerolling that rare for a bit (SSF here also).

Getting 6l is significantly harder than getting 6s, and you got really lucky with that chest armor - congrats! And yes, scouring and then alching does the same as a chaos orb. You can go either route if you want to try your luck on re-rolling the chest.

It's generally not worth it to try to reroll a item in POE. Either it's good enough to use or sell or you can buy something considerably cheaper on the trade channels than the currency it would take you to roll something better by random chance.

Thousands of hours of playing POE and countless chaos lost to attempted hopefull rerolls. My best stuff was bought on the trade channels for significantly less than I've wasted.

It's generally not worth it to try to reroll a item in POE. Either it's good enough to use or sell or you can buy something considerably cheaper on the trade channels than the currency it would take you to roll something better by random chance.

Thousands of hours of playing POE and countless chaos lost to attempted hopefull rerolls. My best stuff was bought on the trade channels for significantly less than I've wasted.

Understandable, but I don't have the luxury of trading, playing SSF here for now. I may revert to normal league character later, but I am only planning to make it happen next league, not this one.

Oh, here is a genuine question, I haven't played PoE for very long, and after reading some global chat, I always wanted to know why SSF league players are being compared to being a Vegan, and why SSF players (or Vegans) gets the amount of abuse on chat?

I don't live in the US so I have no idea about American vegans, but I have never been able to get a straight answer from global chat or anyone else. I have never seen any solo-only play style receiving ANY abuse, let alone that kind of abuse in PoE.

I would guess its because they aren't enjoying the full possibilities of the game. Like vegans chose not to partake in the full pallete of tastes.

Vegans are viewed somewhat negatively by the typical American. Perhaps somewhat weak, foolish, self-righteous, silly.

And on that note, I gave up on SSF two days ago. I got to 84, I was progressing decently; but what it came down to it there was no way I'd reasonably reach end game as a summoner SSF, given the need for so many specific uniques/items.

Fast forward to last night, I've got my Baron setup and excited to get into higher tier mapping with the full spec.

I'm SSF currently. Doing alright. I hate labs though. Going to make a more melee based character next. I'm thinking Static Strike with Sword/Board. We'll see how SSF goes when I get to higher levels.

Yeah, you never ever go SSF with a build that doesn't have multiple backup gearing options.
Having no issues with my build as SSF 'cause all it needed was a 5 link (self cast flameblast) and the one "required" unique (Eye of Chayula for the stun immunity) can be replaced by stacking stun avoidance and the easily obtainable boot enchant from lab which I already got (currently at 88% stun recovery and 65% stun avoidance).

Every copycat out there was doing pizza totems which is what all the streamers were telling people to do but that build is hands down inferior to self cast. I farmed Shaper with this "starter" build last season with 99% self found gear, the only thing I bought was a doedre ring to add a 3rd curse for QoL (sucker wouldn't drop, not even from the card set which I farmed a few times).

I am starting to think about migrating off SSF, but the notion that masters levels are not migrated isn't really flying with me...

I just reached Dried Lake on Merc last night, hit 71 (slow, due to long working hours), gonna kill Malachai after I farm for a few rounds of DL.

Loot so far hasn't been too bad, but I feel my killing speed on campaign maps have slowed down a wee bit again. Got a reverb rod, Geofri's helm, that +2 summoning unique spirit shield, a 6l chest and a pair of boots that increases your run speed when you have full ES. So I feel I am fairly happy with my progress.

Is there a source on how the map tiering/tier upgrade works, and where to best solo farm various currencies? I am going to try and farm chances to see if my luck holds up for rolling Skyforth and that +2 summoning staff.

I've started a 1h/shield character. Only level 30. Swapping between glacial hammer and static strike. The flameblast totems were fine, but it felt so cookie cutter. I wanted to do something different.

All my master levels migrated with me AND my dailies got reset along with it. I did the full migration all at once, not just the individual char.

One question: what do you do when you run out of map stones?

I was progressing OKish until tonight where I used up my last level 6 map stone, and still didn't drop any maps? Go back to a lower level map and work up?

I was turning into the maps into blues at least. I wasn't sure if burning through Alchs were a good idea at such a low tier level (I am only currently on T6), plus I am perpetually short on Alchs.

Ok so I'm going to assume you mean maps because nobody calls them "map stones" as opposed to LEAGUEstones

Here's a tip to sustain maps.

Atlas completion bonus (press G and hover your mouse over the ##/126 at the center to see it) increases the chance of dropping higher tier maps, this does not mean you drop MORE maps which is a common misconception.
The way the game handles map drops is as follows:

- Regular white mobs can only drop maps equal to the level of the map you're on
- Blue/rare mobs can drop maps up to +1 level of the map you are on
- Bosses can drop maps up to +2 levels higher than the map you are on

So now how do we exploit this to the fullest? We roll the bloodlines mod on the map or use the leaguestone. This mod increases significantly the amount of blue mobs you'll encounter thereby increasing the chances of at least dropping same level maps from those packs. Ideally you want to roll your maps to the highest quantity/quality/pack size + bloodlines mod.

P.S: There's a lot more info on map drops than the above, this is just a quick tip that can have an immediate effect on sustaining your map pool.

Last edited:
Ah right, thanks. I am well aware of the Atlas feature, have been working them myself too, but getting that exact map to drop is a little tricky. EG I have 1 corner completed up to T5, but in 2 corners I only have T1 complete because I couldn't get T2 to drop at all.

I have met Zana, still working on getting level 2 with her though.

I don't know what actual items you get from drops were called lol, I just thought maps were like "rifts" rather "rift keystones".

I will use Bloodlines a bit more often, but I don't think I have too many more of those unfortunately.

At what level would it be beneficial to start using alchemies to roll yellow maps or use Vaal to corrupt them?

If you don't have bloodlines leaguestones you can instead roll the mod on the map itself (use alterations to reroll a map).

For rerolling maps follow the Atlas completion bonus requirements. Levels 1-5 require them to be blue so you only use transmutes/alts/augs, levels 6-10 require them to be rare (you'd start using alchs on these), all red maps 11+ need to be corrupted to get the bonus so you'd start vaaling rares then.

P.S: Another tip on the Atlas. (You are probably aware of this already)

Your map drops are directly tied to the maps adjacent to the one you are running and the ones you have completed.

Here's an example:

Say you are running a T2 Beach map and a T1 map is set to drop. You can drop ANY tier 1 map but the one with the highest chance to drop will be Jungle valley because it is connected to it.

If a T3 map is set to drop the same logic follows, a Vaal Pyramid has a higher chance to drop because they are connected.

Knowing that, you can manipulate your atlas completion to only have certain maps drop.

Oh and another thing, you can sell 3 of the same kind of map to a vendor and it will give you the next highest tier. Scroll down and look at the progression chart here to see what maps you will get when selling to a vendor:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Map

P.S: I'm giving you this info in its most general form, the system has a lot more depth. You will later see sextant drops (they add a mod to the map and any map within their radius), shaping orbs (which increase the tier of a map by 5 levels). There are strategies to manipulate all of these Atlas features to get the most out of them.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for that.

Still need to work on survivability, I am seriously lacking in the Chaos Resist department, I literally have no Chaos resist on my gear outside of Geofri's, and I don't think my gear is good enough to go CI yet (only have 3000 ES after Disc), and I am short on fire resists. Been thoroughly unable to find decent replacements though.

Is there a strategy to get the best drop rates with the maps? Or is there a dedicated source that goes through how to best utilise the map system to the fullest?

What build are you?

Regardless, never go out of your way to stack chaos resistance. You will end up gimping yourself. There are ways other than CI to mitigate chaos damage like using a Shav's or Solaris Lorica (known as low life builds) so that chaos damage does not bypass energy shield. It all depends on your build. And yes you only go CI when you have ~5-6k ES with Infused Shield included.

As far as mapping I've already explained a bit on how to sustain drops. As far as manipulating the Atlas there really are no set "rules" to follow and giving hypothetical examples is a lot to type lol. I'll just show you a picture for an example on how to complete your Atlas but remember this is not a rule, you can change it however you see fit.

I did my Atlas in a different way

White circle = Completed map
Yellow circle = Shaped map

hBpDeVZ.jpg

My build is SRS. I haven't seen a Shav chest drop yet (if you mean the chest that prevents chaos damage from bypassing ES). My drops have been pretty shoddy ever since I got 6l with that 20 fusing lol... (I think I might have cursed myself for the rest of the season XP)

What I meant with the maps was that, I am under the assumption that I am not able to advance on the atlas continously, and I might eventually hit a gear wall somewhere along the way, is there a "sweet spot" tier of sorts that one can use to grind out some gear or levels, or should I just keep doing the highest level maps possible?

Oh as far as Zana, you can increase the chance for her (along with any other master) to appear in a map by rolling the "x% more magic monsters"mod on a map.

Oh as far as Zana, you can increase the chance for her (along with any other master) to appear in a map by rolling the "x% more magic monsters"mod on a map.
Any tricks to getting that specific mod, or just a matter of luck?

My build is SRS. I haven't seen a Shav chest drop yet (if you mean the chest that prevents chaos damage from bypassing ES). My drops have been pretty shoddy ever since I got 6l with that 20 fusing lol... (I think I might have cursed myself for the rest of the season XP)
Yeah Shav's is extremely rare and can only drop on high tier maps.

What I meant with the maps was that, I am under the assumption that I am not able to advance on the atlas continously, and I might eventually hit a gear wall somewhere along the way, is there a "sweet spot" tier of sorts that one can use to grind out some gear or levels, or should I just keep doing the highest level maps possible?

Oh I see you are still thinking as if you were playing Diablo3, things don't work that way. If you cannot progress to clear T16 maps then the issue lies with your build/gear/gameplay and all of those are totally under your own control (this is a nice way of saying if you suck/lack knowledge of the game and your build and gear are shit then you will get stuck lol). This is not Diablo3 where the game simply adds %increases in mob life and damage to make it impossible to clear the content which is frankly the most shallow and lazy bullshit way to create "challenge" in a game.

I speak from experience, I was the top 8 US monk before I quit playing the game several seasons ago.

Last edited:
Oh I see you are still thinking as if you were playing Diablo3, things don't work that way. If you cannot progress to clear T16 maps then the issue lies with your build/gear/gameplay and all of those are totally under your own control (this is a nice way of saying if you suck/lack knowledge of the game and your build and gear are shit then you will get stuck lol). This is not Diablo3 where the game simply adds %increases in mob life and damage to make it impossible to clear the content which is frankly the most shallow and lazy bullshit way to create "challenge" in a game.

I just hope it's the game play and gear, not build, because I felt that the PoE campaign already got old the second time I went through Normal -> merciless playthrough (played through once just between Breach and legacy league, and another during the legacy league).

Why do you say gear is 'totally' under your control?

Yeah playing 3 difficulties over is going away with Fall of Oriath, there will be 10 acts and by the time you are through you'll be ready to do end game content/mapping

Where do I begin being in control lol
You can craft maps however you want them, all you need is collect the currency that drops
You can craft your own gear with that same currency. Knowing what a good base white item to start from obviously will reward a more experienced player's knowledge of the game.
You can use the usual Transmute/aug->reroll with alts then regal to make rare then use exalted to add mods to create rare items that outclass nearly all unique items in the game.
Add to that the ability to use Essences which give you the chance to create or reroll rares with guaranteed stats (An essence of Woe for example guarantees Energy Shield will roll on an item and there are several tiers of them increasing in power).
Add to that the Masters that you can level and they offer increasingly powerful enchants for your gear to further customize and enhance it.
You can complete the Atlas however you want, there are ways to complete it which are more effective because they focus on maps that are more efficient to run both in layout and boss difficulty wise.
You can craft your own build.

There are so many things under your direct control (obviously with a layer of RNG) but for the most part you are in control of most of it if you take the time to learn them.

Last edited:
im looking for a good dps focussed but still survivalable build for a moltencore duelist ?

mostly im looking for a skill set that i can go for.

Yeah playing 3 difficulties over is going away with Fall of Oriath, there will be 10 acts and by the time you are through you'll be ready to do end game content/mapping

Where do I begin being in control lol
You can craft maps however you want them, all you need is collect the currency that drops
You can craft your own gear with that same currency. Knowing what a good base white item to start from obviously will reward a more experienced player's knowledge of the game.
You can use the usual Transmute/aug->reroll with alts then regal to make rare then use exalted to add mods to create rare items that outclass nearly all unique items in the game.
Add to that the ability to use Essences which give you the chance to create or reroll rares with guaranteed stats (And essence of Woe for example guaranteed Energy Shield will roll on an item).
Add to that the Masters that you can level and they offer increasingly powerful enchants for your gear to further customize and enhance your gear.
You can complete the Atlas however you want, there are ways to complete it which are more effective because they focus on maps that are more efficient to run both in layout and boss difficulty wise.
You can craft your own build.

There are so many things under your direct control (obviously with a layer of RNG) but for the most part you are in control of most of it if you take the time to learn them.

Guess I have much to learn. I know a lot of this in theory already, it's just the proper implementations I am lacking. I know of essences and picking out the correct base to roll for items (been chancing for Skyforth), but I haven't really found any usable Essences so far. I am leveling masters also, been dutifully doing dailies (I hate Vorici btw) with my masters in HO.

The base item is trickier, haven't been able to find a satisfactory 6s/6l base for staff of chest, and my 6l chest is only ilevel 60 (you could say I wasted my fusings and luck on that LOL).

I will look up on how exalted works. What's this "Transmute/Aug with alt" thing? I know about Regal, but why use an alt for Transmute or Augmentation?

Before essences were introduced the only way to craft items was using the existing currency in the game.

A Transmutation orb turns a white item into a magic item. The item can get 2 blue mods or only 1. If you only rolled one you add another blue mod with an augmentation orb.
If the mods are not what you need you reroll the blue item with an alteration and again you can get 1 or 2 mods
You roll an item that way until you get the base stats you are looking for

Then you turn that item into a rare using a regal orb which will create a 3 mod rare(there is also hybrid mods that are "2 lines" of mods but count as a single mod for the item's budget)
Then to add 1 more mod at a time to that rare (they can hold up to 6 mods max) you use an exalted orb on it.

This is extremely expensive by the way (exalteds cost 60 chaos orbs right now on the regular legacy league) but has traditionally been the only way to craft the godliest "mirror worthy" items in the game (900+ES chest, 500+ES spirit shields, helmets, etc)
Once essences were introduced we all now have another option to craft items.

This is again just a general overview, there is much more depth behind it all. Like item levels and the range of mods that can roll on them (should be obvious if you've played D2).

Last edited:
Forgot to mention you can also use orbs of scouring to completely wipe all the mods from a rare item and start the whole process again.

You can also use chaos orbs to reroll a rare item with a new set of random mods.

Last edited:
Aha, that's one thing I never knew about: Blue items turning into rares and keeping the original mods. I always had assumed that the entire mod list would be randomised, keeping the original mods is something no other games have.

Gonna need to read up on it then.

Chaos Orb rerolls the item completely right?

And isn't Regal/Exalted orbs quite gambly? Like if the 3/1 mod they gave was junk, they'd be back at square one-ish?

Aha, that's one thing I never knew about: Blue items turning into rares and keeping the original mods. I always had assumed that the entire mod list would be randomised, keeping the original mods is something no other games have.
Yeah

Chaos Orb rerolls the item completely right?
Correct, it keeps the base white item and rolls a new set of random mods. It's the game's way of gambling.

And isn't Regal/Exalted orbs quite gambly? Like if the 3/1 mod they gave was junk, they'd be back at square one-ish?
Right, which is why I said it can get extremely expensive. An exalted orb costs 60 chaos so oftentimes you are better off buying items on poe.trade (im assuming you know this exists) if you are not playing SSF unless you are wealthy enough to afford to roll items this way.

Last edited:
Much appreciated, thanks.

Looks like it will also take a while to know what items are sellable and what are not, I have been pretty much vendoring yellow things I have got as drops, and basically paid relatively little attention to item stats that don't improve my build (save for some swords with like +150% physical damage or something).

I will trudge on and see how far I get with the atlas progress, I would most likely drop down to Normal league before too long, not being able to buy anything seem to be limiting my upgrade paths.

My current dilemma is that my 6L chest is currently in the worst position possible. I need a +2 minion staff but it'll have to be, ideally, at least 5L, to allow me to replace my chest piece. I'll need to read up on when do +minions increase overcome the loss of support gems.

There is also a correct way to sell items to get the most out of them.
There are a ton of vendor recipes which you can look up here: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe_system

One of the most profitable is selling a full set of rare items: helm, chest, belt, gloves, boots, 2 rings, amulet, and either 1 two-handed weapon, 2 one-handed weapons, or 1 one-handed weapon with a shield. This gives you a chaos orb.

There is also divination cards which drop in specific zones/maps. One of those divination card sets "The Flora's Gift" gives you a fully linked 5 socket staff and drops in the Jungle Valley map.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Flora's_Gift

What ilvl does that staff spawn at?

(Also, thanks for the tip about chaos orb selling, will be paying a little more attention them later on.)

Well I officially moved onto normal league, and spent 2, maybe 3 chaos' worth of currency to get my gear more up to speed, maxed out all resist (including chaos) for now since I have no idea what mods I should have for SRS Witch beyond the REALLY expensive stuff like 6l +1 all/+2 fire Staff, 6l 500ES chest and Skyforth, so I went and pumped up resists and some int too.

Gonna save up for a better staff and armor now.

I must admit though, for SRS, there aren't many good jewelry, belt or gloves.

Also gonna get Merc lab out of the way too during the Weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back