Path of Exile

Mokkat

[H]ard|Gawd
the Path of Exile beta just started. If you havent signed up for an account and a chance for a beta key, you can still do so.

http://www.pathofexile.com/

This game is looking great. The artstyle is definitely sinister and Diablo2- and Lovecraft-ish, while the gameplay and character/skill system is more like Diablo 1.

Between this and Torchlight 2, Diablo 3 definitely has some rough competition

Definitely going to give this a shot. I like the graphics for one, and the story seems unique and interesting. I thought the following was VERY interesting and is what I would like to see if they are going to include microtransactions.

Quoted from the website:
"Completely free to download and play. Supported by ethical microtransactions.
Path of Exile is completely free to play - no upfront costs or monthly fees are required to enjoy 100% of the game content.

To fund the development and maintenance costs of the project, we plan to let players purchase aesthetic perks for their characters such as:

Additional character animations (for example, taunts or PvP victory animations)
Dyes and item skins
Alternate spell effects
Social pets
We will also offer some optional paid services such as:

Inter-realm/inter-account character transfers
Character renaming
You’ll notice nothing in the list above confers an actual gameplay advantage."

Last edited:
Very interesting!

I registered on the site. Will it just randomly send a beta invite?

Very interesting!

I registered on the site. Will it just randomly send a beta invite?

Same here. I'm eagerly awaiting a chance to play the beta! Looks like a fun game.

edit - Just found the following in the FAQ:

2. How do I sign up for the beta?
By creating an account on the site. We will be picking beta users from the set of people who are signed up. This account also allows you to post in our forums and use community features.

Looks like the site randomly sends out a beta invite to a registered user every 5 minutes, regardless of date joined or postcount. Im hoping they will lower that time soon :)

Looks cool, but I just can't see their pay services being able to support the developement costs of this game. How many people do you think will pay for a charecter transfer or skin for a new, untested, relatively unknown game? I hate to say it but I could see this game tanking in months after release.

Looks cool, but I just can't see their pay services being able to support the developement costs of this game. How many people do you think will pay for a charecter transfer or skin for a new, untested, relatively unknown game? I hate to say it but I could see this game tanking in months after release.

It's a bit of a gamble for them at the start, but other companies have made it work. Their game will pull a crowd of people because it's free, if it is good then people will probably buy skins. People are crazy like that.

My buddy has spent about $50 just for skins on League of Legends.

I won't pay $7-$10 for one skin. That's just crazy. Maybe $2-3.

My buddy has spent about $50 just for skins on League of Legends.

I won't pay $7-$10 for one skin. That's just crazy. Maybe $2-3.

like I said, people are crazy :) I have spent a bit on skins for LoL as well, I like the game I figure I should support them some how.

They also have an official irc channel on freenode. #pathofexile

The devs give out beta keys there as well. If D3 doesn't pan out (dont really like the cartoony graphics) then maybe Path of Exile will fill the void. :)

Looks pretty good, the forum is a joke however. It's completely filled with garbage and crying about beta invites. They also just changed the beta chance because of it, if you post you now have a 10x better chance of getting in!

Looks pretty good, the forum is a joke however. It's completely filled with garbage and crying about beta invites. They also just changed the beta chance because of it, if you post you now have a 10x better chance of getting in!

thus being the reason why the forum is a joke... increasing one's chances of getting an invite based of forum activity is pretty naive on the devs behalf

yeah the method of sending out beta invites doesnt really help the forum. The fact that noone really knows a whole lot about the game except for the teasers (so the forum can only really be used for speculation and ideas) means most people havent bothered to post there yet before know.

Looking forward to some nice info and discussions of the beta though

Live stream of someone playing it.

http://www.twitch.tv/youvegotmailgoodbye

I personally think it looks incredibly slow paced, bland and boring compared to D2. But that could just be due to the fact that I've been playing Median XL mod for the last week or so where my screen is full of 50 enemies moving at mach 10 all throwing out visual effects constantly.

I don't see it competing with D3, but Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn might be able to put a chip in its monolithic armor.

I'm liking the look of PoE.

It has a very familiar feel about it and oozes nostalgia but with a fresh coat of paint. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this as development progresses.

.. and kiwi developers FTW! w00t :cool:

Looks fun, when is it scheduled to come out? No desire to grab it since it'll probably be out not too long before Diablo 3.

Yup, the skill tree is INSANITY. This game looks promising. I wonder if it will be released before Diablo?

If diablo comes out this year then no i heard that open beta wont start until next year or so but maybe that can change.

I've been beta testing it for about two weeks now, its Ok. Not a bad game considering its free to play and low budget but its nothing comparing it to Big blockbuster hits with huge funding.

I'm level 24 Templar, level 10 witch and a low level ranger.

In beta right now is only Act 1 and Act 2.

Still fun to log in and bash stuff :D

Anyone still playing this? I just got a key last night, must have sent out a Christmas batch.

Back