Path of Exile vs Diablo 3

When even the fanboys say things like "Blizzard may or may not be money-grubbing" you know things have reaally gotten bad over there.

When even the fanboys say things like "Blizzard may or may not be money-grubbing" you know things have reaally gotten bad over there.

It feels so good to know that Diablo 3 is one of the best games ever created. I would pay $500 for it, no question. Too bad you're stuck playing crappy free to play games with terrible graphics, a horrible combat system, and no AH.

:rolleyes:

If you use that "article" as evidence of anything, you are a moron. I guess I'm pointing out the obvious.

Got an invite to PoE a few days ago, gonna probably install it today. Let's see how it is compared to D3.

Got an invite to PoE a few days ago, gonna probably install it today. Let's see how it is compared to D3.

Read the forums to understand the skills Ironcross. Then spec accordingly otherwise you're going to be lost and complaining that you only have one usable move.

:)

Read the forums to understand the skills Ironcross. Then spec accordingly otherwise you're going to be lost and complaining that you only have one usable move.

I've just scratched the surface. There's so much more to learn and understand :)

No offense, but that's one of the most ridiculously biased pieces I've ever seen. Talk about taking every thing you can find and twisting it.

Blizzard may or may not be money grubbing, but you shouldn't use that post to support anything.

I didn't feel that they twisted anything... it just shows where their goals are.

Frankly, if i had a huge stake in blizzard, i would have been jizzing in my pants at reading that. That's just how the business has become.

I didn't feel that they twisted anything... it just shows where their goals are.

Frankly, if i had a huge stake in blizzard, i would have been jizzing in my pants at reading that. That's just how the business has become.

I guess I don't see it as money grubbing. I see it as good business.

They have shareholders. It's actually illegal if they don't do the best they can for shareholders. The fact that they did those things doesn't make them money grubbing. None of that does. Putting out shitty games is the problem.

They have shareholders. It's actually illegal if they don't do the best they can for shareholders. The fact that they did those things doesn't make them money grubbing. None of that does. Putting out shitty games is the problem.

That was kinda my point, but i think they're the same. Money grubbing = doing well for the shareholders, which is all you can expect them to do with a company so big. Of course they don't give a fuck about the games their making, and are solely interested in the possibility of exploiting their franchises for profit.

It's just reality. I wish i had stake in blizz/activision so i could be excited about all the shit he says lol

Well you can make games that are good that everyone flocks to, or you can make games that have shit that makes you a few extra dollars attached to them, that annoy your customer base to no end. Blizzard has chosen to go the annoy the customers route. If they survive maybe they can indoctrinate preteens that this is ok so they can have new customers in the future. Basically that's what the DRM makers did; pushed it upon the younger crowd and make the older crowd buy it for little Johnny that won't STFU about how he has to have it.

In the here and now all they are doing is pissing off their current fans with their allegiance to dollars over game play.

At least they set up a system where keeping people interested int he game and selling gear is an incentive to continue patching it. Say what you want about the RMAH, but if they want it to make them money, more than just botters are going to have to be playing.

At least they set up a system where keeping people interested int he game and selling gear is an incentive to continue patching it. Say what you want about the RMAH, but if they want it to make them money, more than just botters are going to have to be playing.

Indeed there is this silver lining... frankly, after the last patch, i feel much more optimistic about the direction of this game. i should have not bought it at launch, but i'll bet once they're done fixing it, it'll be quite nice.

I'm playing it now and having fun again, but it'd be so much more fun if they had the /players command already implemented.

Here's the point you are so painfully missing:

Video games are art, and true developers are artists, not businessmen.

Blizzard is a prime example of the direction the game industry as a whole has taken. Blizzard used to exist to delight players, and through that delight generate a following of loyal players and fans. They created because they had the talent and the means, and the wish to share it with the world. This was once the case. It is no longer. That is what is wrong with gaming. When things go mainstream, they become financially attractive for those filthy, despicable people that have no business desecrating their purity. Unfortunately gaming is no exception.

Couldn't agree more. My first templar sucked major donkey d.... Then I went back through and realized you actually had to think and plan what you were going to do. Game is a blast, yes even for us Mac folk using the WINE port, and I have been impressed with most all aspects of it.

Couldn't agree more. My first templar sucked major donkey d.... Then I went back through and realized you actually had to think and plan what you were going to do. Game is a blast, yes even for us Mac folk using the WINE port, and I have been impressed with most all aspects of it.

I honestly think that's part of the fun. Reminds me of Diablo 2 with it's punishing skill system. You realize your character sucks, but you reroll, and this time around, you're demolishing everything. :D

Not money grubbing? How about these quotes by the Activision/Blizzard CEO? These are just the ones that were easy to spot during a scan of the lengthy post.

"With respect to the franchises that don’t have the potential to be exploited every year across every platform, with clear sequel potential that can meet our objectives of, over time, becoming $100 million-plus franchises, that’s a strategy that has worked very well for us."

"And Tony, you know if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further."

"In the last cycle of videogames you spent $50 on a game, played it and took it back to the shop for credit. Today, we’ll (charge) $100 for a guitar. You might add a microphone or drums; you might buy two or three expansions packs, different types of music. Over the life of your ownership you’ll probably buy around 25 additional song packs in digital downloads. So, what used to be a $50 sale is a $500 sale today."

"Kotick noted that in the past he changed the employee incentive program so that it "really rewards profit and nothing else." He continued, "You have studio heads who five years ago didn't know the difference between a balance sheet and a bed sheet who are now arguing allocations in our CFO's office pretty regularly. ... We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."

"From what we see so far, additional content, as well as all the services Blizzard is offering, is that there is demand from the core gamers to pay up for that.”

WSJ: If you could snap your fingers, and instantly make one change in your company, what would it be, and why?
Mr. Kotick: I would have Call of Duty be an online subscription service tomorrow

Back