Path of Exile vs Diablo 3

I'm sure the the difficultly level in the beta has been toned down even from standard "Normal" mode. I bet there will be some difficulty tweaks at release that balances it up a bit.

I'm sure the the difficultly level in the beta has been toned down even from standard "Normal" mode. I bet there will be some difficulty tweaks at release that balances it up a bit.

If you are talking about d3, probably not. A hand full of patches ago it was MUCH easier. IMO it feels pretty good for the first 1hr of gameplay.

I dont follow many betas anymore, but I see blizzard responding to lots and lots of feedback every day on the forums with blue trackers, many responses from those strongly involved in development. With other developers, I see more of "press releases" and interviews where they can dodge the hard questions. This may just be my perception because I play WoW and am looking forward to D3, but I like seeing the devs answer back on their forums.

While I dont agree with every answer they give, they do give reasonable arguments to every design choice they make.

I think a lot of people are turned off by D3 with how easy the beta was/is, but the beta being so short, that the difficulty progression cannot be measured. I'd say D2 from beginning to Tristam is about the same length, and that segment was just as trivial even the first time I played diablo 2 knowing nothing about how to play my class. They're not making the entire game easy, they're just making the beginning easier to make it accessible to newcomers. They're using an easy-to-learn hard-to-master approach to hook more people, and I'm fine with that approach. SC2 had a very good difficulty slider for the SP, with the final mission being very challenging the first time around. I expect D3 to scale just as well (except you cant choose the difficulty at the beginning, you have to progress through the playthroughs).

Also I enjoy how no build choice is permanent. If you chose the wrong set of skills in D2, you'd be screwed in hell and have to reroll. If you wanted to try other abilities for the same class, you'd have to reroll. One thing Blizzard is now trying to do is to minimize the time you have to spend outside the game (reading on forums, listening to number cruncher strategists for cookie cutter builds), so that you could actually spend more time in the game and just enjoy it

With the skill/rune system, you can keep trying builds until you find one that either fits your current play style or the needs of your party, at no long term penalty. I dont want to level 3 wizards to compliment the groups i'm playing. I'd rather have 1 that can change out (and possibly swap some gear if needed) and shift on the fly. Again, more focus on your own skill to play your character, than how meticulous you chose our skill points at the beginning (or read up on the exact order to spend them).

Edit:
With PoE, I havent played it, but i did watch 2 videos to get a feel for the game. As awesome as the skill tree looks, I can see it being extremely imbalanced. From what I read (it might have changed) the skill allotment is permanent. Seeing as its a pay to play model, they'll probably charge for full respecs. To me this is acceptable to a certain point, respecing doesnt count as an "advantageous purchase" but it's a very dangerous line to walk. If they charge too much, or they change the passive skill tree so often that you amazing build keeps getting nerfed in the ground, then they've crossed the line. I've seen it in another F2P game I used to play, so I does happen. Will it happen with PoE? It's possible.

I respect you opinion. Well thought out and said. I don't agree with your take on PoE but that is because I have played it along with D3. I prefer the tree system in PoE simply because it provides more options. I can use weapon and spell combos with classes not normally viable because of the passive skill tree. D3 not so much. Yes, you can use any weapon almost and it affects your skill damage, but it looks damn silly when a monk equips a sword and shield and it sits on their back the entire time in combat. I also prefer the old system where respecs weren't cheap/free. Dual specs, hell yes! Its hard having a pvp and pve spec work, that is why dual specs are a must. Respeccing shouldn't be an easy thing though, and their should be consequences for poor choices in specs when it comes to a players *choice*. Developers being idiots warrant free respecs since they put in that useless crappy talent. I personally have and always will expect that first character to be a train wreck unless I get really really lucky. That is what makes a better player. Learn from your mistakes, learn the mechanics, learn the shortcuts, and do it better the next time around,

Shit that was preachy. Seriously though, try both. They are both great games and as I said earlier a direct comparison is tough.

If you are talking about d3, probably not. A hand full of patches ago it was MUCH easier. IMO it feels pretty good for the first 1hr of gameplay.

Yup, was referring to D3. It does make you wonder considering the beta is currently lacking a few features. Amulets, unique items etc.. Even though those two particular features may not have a dramatic impact on game difficulty and overall gameplay, it does make me wonder what other features are currently omitted from the beta.

Besides, the purpose of the beta is not 100% aimed at balancing difficulty. There is an entire 3 other acts that need to be balanced that the public do not have access to.

I like the pacing and mob balance in D3 over PoE.

However, the interface, hitboxes, skill tree, and gear was all better in PoE.

The hitboxes in D3 really bugged the shit out of me. Your moves get magnetized to mobs, and you can have your mouse 1/4" away from a mob and still have your beam shoot dead center on it. Kinda dumb.

The hitboxes in D3 really bugged the shit out of me. Your moves get magnetized to mobs, and you can have your mouse 1/4" away from a mob and still have your beam shoot dead center on it. Kinda dumb.

That just screams "CONSOLITIS!"

They have to make the hitboxes larger so the basement console kiddies can use their 360 controllers.

I don't see how that implies consolitis. With a controller, I doubt you'd have a cursor to move around with at all. The number 1 issue Blizz has with the controller right now is dealing with ranged AoE attacks, which is something that's more intuitive with a mouse/KB combo.

What he's talking about is just for general gameplay, which I've noticed with my Wizard as well. Often times, I wanna click in an empty spot to move toward or away from enemies, but the hitboxes are so large I end up standing still and casting a ranged spell. This why I ended up preferring the Wizard's melee spell Spectral Blade as the left-click skill.

No, it makes me sad.

Sad because they don't optimize games for each platform, but instead design for the lowest common denominator. Because I have freedom of speech and consoles are the lowest common denominator, I make fun of the sheeples who support developers who do this.

they don't optimize games for each platform, but instead design for the lowest common denominator

I think this makes us all sad. I would have loved to see a good PC interface in Diablo 3, Skyrim, Batman AC, etc etc. Just about every game dev which makes a game multiplatform doesn't spend the money on separate optimizations for each platform.

I have tried POE, and I like it. I find the comparison of D3 to POE to not be on the same table. POE is more of a glorified D2 to me. Looks like two games, (D3 and POE) that I have to wade through in the next couple of months.

What is a PITA is the hate that constantly gets brought up in POE spamming the left side of my screen about (insert game name) sucks. STFU and play already. Gosh

You hit the nail on the head. I've said it before D3 compared to PoE is apples to oranges. They are in the same genre, but PoE sticks to the original Diablo formats where as D3 when in a new direction.

I don't see how that implies consolitis. With a controller, I doubt you'd have a cursor to move around with at all. The number 1 issue Blizz has with the controller right now is dealing with ranged AoE attacks, which is something that's more intuitive with a mouse/KB combo.

What he's talking about is just for general gameplay, which I've noticed with my Wizard as well. Often times, I wanna click in an empty spot to move toward or away from enemies, but the hitboxes are so large I end up standing still and casting a ranged spell. This why I ended up preferring the Wizard's melee spell Spectral Blade as the left-click skill.

In the options, go bind the "move" key. When you hold it down and click you will walk there regardless of whether the hitbox thinks you should be casting or whatever. Should help you there.

I've put quite a few hours into PoE now. (need to game less and sleep more at this point). I'm really enjoying it. Beware the arc of my Duelist's mighty axe! muhaha. Almost finished with cruelty level. Been farming a little before heading into the next level.

Seriously, I've lost a lot of sleep because of the game =(

Last edited:
In the options, go bind the "move" key. When you hold it down and click you will walk there regardless of whether the hitbox thinks you should be casting or whatever. Should help you there.

I thought clicking wasn't necessary... doesn't pressing the bound "move" key issue a constant move-command to wherever your mouse is hovering?

I thought clicking wasn't necessary... doesn't pressing the bound "move" key issue a constant move-command to wherever your mouse is hovering?

Not sure...would need to test it. Was just passing along info I got from the other D3 thread.

Seriously, I've lost a lot of sleep because of the game =(
Tell me about it. POE has sucked up a bunch of my time. It'll be worse when D3 is released. Not enough time in the day to rage on both games.

I'm probably going to be in the dogshouse with the wife over the summer. :D

Big patch coming up on May 8th. Lots of new features, might be adding the 6th class too.

PATH OF EXILE! lol I played the early Beta and still am. AND ITS FREE.. lol. Monsters need to attack more often but they are patching weekly Small company GREAT GUYS. :) Support them if you can.

PoE is awesome, Qik1 from twitch gifted me a beta key last week and I've put in at least 10 hours into it so far. I also prepurchased D3 and TL2 already and don't regret it, why force yourself to choose between awesome games even if they are similar, PoE will make a fun supplement to whats looking to be an amazing year for gaming with GW2 PvP also on the horizon. I also recommend you check out Blade&Soul, its a promising free roaming, side stepping action mmo/rpg thats currently a korean beta at the moment, but a us/eu conversion is being worked on and even a console port is rumored.

Last edited:
PATH OF EXILE! lol I played the early Beta and still am. AND ITS FREE.. lol. Monsters need to attack more often but they are patching weekly Small company GREAT GUYS. :) Support them if you can.

Patch should address that I think.

Yeh i love it tbh from what ive played so far, played it like 6 hours straight from 12am-6am on friday. Yes i have no life :cool:

ha. 6 hours straight on one day? I got you beat. I played one character for 16 hours in 3 days. Now I'm up to 18 hours and level 50.

This game is fun!

PoE at the moment, but only because there is so much more to do than D3's beta.

I'm 80% sure I'll swtich to D3 on the 15th.

Im liking PoE awesome skill tree.
First thing that pops into my mind is the FFX Sphere Grid system.

yes,
not only that but it will not be pay 2 win either.

I have my doubts about F2P games in that they can sucker you in more than the cost of a static price, depending on what they charge for. There's a big gray area of what is considered pay 2 win, and there can be utility purchases that can add up in price (such as re-specing or extra inventory slots). I dont think that F2P games can survive off of strictly vanity items.

I've got a project at work thats nearing completion. If that pressure lets up before D3 is released, I'll give PoE a shot over a weekend. If not I'll probably just wait until my D3 fix is completed (ie beat inferno) before picking this game up. Maybe by then I'll see everything they have to offer in the store.

For me, its not a matter of money, its a matter of time. Sure I'd love to play every game out there and I have no issue buying D3, TL2, and pumping money into PoE. But I'm a full time worker, so my gaming time is more limited than my HS/College days.

There's a new browser extension for Chrome that finds matching items in your inventory and stash for vendor recipes.
Vendor recipes give you better items when you sell certain things to the vendors simultaneously.

Chrome Extension to make it easy:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/29916

I just sold off a bunch of stuff and got 8 Alchemy Orbs!

the skill tree is a masterpiece.... so many build options its totally CRAZY.

I love the game so far

I got into it (PoE) for about an hour last night for the first time, so far I like it.

I've played both, and I enjoy D3 for it's relative simplicity. I want a hack and slash with a story, visuals, sound and re-playability. D3, IMHO has all of those. PoE... not so much. Something about it rubs me the wrong way.

I've played both, and I enjoy D3 for it's relative simplicity. I want a hack and slash with a story, visuals, sound and re-playability. D3, IMHO has all of those. PoE... not so much. Something about it rubs me the wrong way.

Agreed.

I have never been able to understand this statement. Diablo and re-playability. How can a game have replay value when it never changes or adds anything new? I LOVED D1&D2. LOVED! Imho to say the two games has replay value though is misleading. Doing 1k loot Baal loot runs isn't fun for me. When they announced PvP wouldn't be available at launch my sad face came out. I thought for once there would be something to do to keep me interested. I acknowledge the fact I can try every class for some replay value but when all the classes have the exact same story its not every exciting. This isn't exclusive to D3, it applies to PoE as well. I like both, and until they both release a finished product I can't pass final judgement.

I have never been able to understand this statement. Diablo and re-playability. How can a game have replay value when it never changes or adds anything new?

Like Diablo 2 it will have random elites, encounters, and dungeon layouts. Plus the higher difficulties will offer more challenge and the monsters will gain new abilities.

In fact 70% of the loot does not even appear until after you beat the game in Normal. This video explains some of the randomness,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9NLRDAs0YA

You also have to consider that your character will only be level 30 after you beat the game once, and if you want to reach the lv 60 cap and unlock all of your skills and runes you'll have to beat the game in Normal, Nightmare, and then Hell.

Inferno difficulty is apparently so hard that even the developers have not beaten it. In previous Diablos Hell mobs were 10+ levels lower than the max lv cap, Inferno difficulty will have mobs that start at lv 61 and grows from there.

Like Diablo 2 it will have random elites, encounters, and dungeon layouts. Plus the higher difficulties will offer more challenge and the monsters will gain new abilities.

In fact 70% of the loot does not even appear until after you beat the game in Normal. This video explains some of the randomness,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9NLRDAs0YA

You also have to consider that your character will only be level 30 after you beat the game once, and if you want to reach the lv 60 cap and unlock all of your skills and runes you'll have to beat the game in Normal, Nightmare, and then Hell.

Inferno difficulty is apparently so hard that even the developers have not beaten it. In previous Diablos Hell mobs were 10+ levels lower than the max lv cap, Inferno difficulty will have mobs that start at lv 61 and grows from there.

yeah! plus the continuous addition of items because loot is random and tables are hidden... it's not like farming one boss for a specific item.. they come from any where and they can be added in continuously.. very exciting. I will have several characters as well.. I have been having a hard time just picking a class to play because I like them all so much i'd say that accounts for some replay ability too :D

I LOVE the fact u can upgrade the Runes and remove them from the weapon with out destroying it. :)

yeah! plus the continuous addition of items because loot is random and tables are hidden... it's not like farming one boss for a specific item.. they come from any where and they can be added in continuously.. very exciting. I will have several characters as well.. I have been having a hard time just picking a class to play because I like them all so much i'd say that accounts for some replay ability too :D

I get what your saying but shiny new loot has never been enough to keep me playing the same content over and over again. Shiny new loot with new content is though. Thats not the Diablo games though.

Back