Path of Exile - Free play weekend July 27-29th

Kinsaras

2[H]4U
We're opening up the Path of Exile Beta to everyone this weekend, July 27-29, so that we can stress-test our servers in preparation for entering Open Beta later this year. This Open Weekend is the ideal time to invite your friends to play the game with you.

We've just deployed the 0.9.11 Beta patch, which adds the Act Two boss fight, our new end-game Maps system, weapon swap functionality and an entirely new passive skill tree layout.

Check out the FAQ about the open weekend at www.pathofexile.com/publicweekend/.

We will make the game servers public from 5pm on Friday 27 July Pacific Daylight Time until 11:59pm on Sunday. Over 48,000 people played during our last Open Weekend in May.

This is a great opportunity for you to show your friends the Path of Exile Beta and play alongside them while exploring the new updates. We're hosting four developer-run events at various times over the weekend, so you can show off the skills you developed playing earlier versions of the Beta too.

Sweet, great game. I've played enough that I won't be going back until Act 3 is implemented, but for those who haven't tried it (and maybe the D3 refugees, hehe) definitely worth your time.

Kinsaras, are you a member of the development team or have you just copied and pasted a message from the DT?

Every new update has made this game more fun. Chris and co. are obviously people who actually play games. They are also bringing in pretty good coin and the game isn't even released yet.

Another PoE supporter here. I paid $50 and I am 100% happy.
D3 on the other hand, was a complete turd. The PoE devs actually listen to feedback and make changes for the better. I will give the PoE devs another $50 when they implement my suggestion for grouped stash tabs.

This game is so awesome and I can't wait for the Open beta when they do the final server wipe.

The character builds are so complex and the loot drops are actually rewarding. Crafting is so much fun.
The currency system is sheer genius.

I can't say enough good things about PoE.

Not sure what you're talking about. The graphics have always looked excellent to me.
I prefer the realistic style instead of the cartoon style (eg D3).

Do you play Terraria? Minecraft? Do you have to have Unreal Engine 4 graphics to have fun?

The graphics have actually been updated, tweaked, and certain zones got full revamps. It already looked better than every other aRPG like this out there, but they are still improving.

Not sure what you're talking about. The graphics have always looked excellent to me.
I prefer the realistic style instead of the cartoon style (eg D3).

Do you play Terraria? Minecraft? Do you have to have Unreal Engine 4 graphics to have fun?
:rolleyes:
The graphics have actually been updated, tweaked, and certain zones got full revamps. It already looked better than every other aRPG like this out there, but they are still improving.

Thanks for a real response. I played a very early version of the beta before the graphics had been cleaned up. I knew they would be improved greatly, was just curious if they had done it yet.

I'm gonna donate and give it a shot again. Anything has to be better than the Blizzard Auction House Money Grab (D3).

4:45am EST Chris from Grinding Gear Games was talking to us in General chat. He seems very likable and was answering questions from guys that were concerned about builds, game direction in the future, what they liked, etc. Was cool having that type of interaction with a developer.

Sarcastic? I wasn't being sarcastic. What do you expect? you had no explanation or description. you just said "dated graphics".

That's a vague opinion. Not a fact. Opinion. I gave my opinion.

So you're a gamer that has to have UE4 graphics to make the game good?
PoE graphics look better than D3 to me.

I played a very early version of the beta before the graphics had been cleaned up.

ah, see? it wasn't that hard to give more explanation for your opinion that PoE had dated graphics. Now it makes sense. It would have been helpful had you posted that bit in your original post. Then we could have avoided the rolleyes sacrastic smiley and spat!

4:45am EST Chris from Grinding Gear Games was talking to us in General chat. He seems very likable and was answering questions from guys that were concerned about builds, game direction in the future, what they liked, etc. Was cool having that type of interaction with a developer.

In the several months I've spent with Beta, the devs actually take part in General chat more regularly than any other Beta I've been in. These guys are class acts in game and on their forums. Chris even put up with TotalBiscuits nonsense for a 45 minute video about the endgame maps.

D3 refugee here... I will be trying this game out this weekend with some other friends of mine who have quit playing D3.

I just played some. You're going to be in heaven if you liked D2.
It does feel very much like D2. I'd say that's a good thing.

I will say the amount of content right now is pretty short, definitely shorter than D3 (it is a beta, after all). So it's good to try for a weekend but not too much more, unless you're really into grinding. Act 3 should be ready in the next month or two and should help a lot in that regard. Their goal is to add a new act every year or so - eventually there should be a lot of content to play.

It does feel very much like D2. I'd say that's a good thing.

I will say the amount of content right now is pretty short, definitely shorter than D3 (it is a beta, after all). So it's good to try for a weekend but not too much more, unless you're really into grinding. Act 3 should be ready in the next month or two and should help a lot in that regard. Their goal is to add a new act every year or so - eventually there should be a lot of content to play.

Eh, we now have end game maps and better balanced difficulties. Way more content than the D3 beta.

I already had beta access, but I'm going to check this out as well. Still likely to pre-purchase GW2 at this point, since I'm sad at the replay value (lack of) of D3.

So you're a gamer that has to have UE4 graphics to make the game good?
PoE graphics look better than D3 to me.

I think I speak for many here that great graphics don't necessary translate into great game play but its 2012 and putting out a game that looks like it came out ten years ago is kinda disappointing. Also, minecraft was never designed to be a graphics showcase.

Most of us remember the early days of PC gaming especially the transition from 2D to 3D. I fondly remember years ago loading up Unreal Tournament and CS with some buddies on a LAN Party for hours and not complaining once about graphics. A few months ago I got a copy of UT on GOG and fired it up at a LAN party for a bit and while it was fun my friends wanted to go back to BF3 due to just looking dated and boring.

Anyway, graphics don't automatically make great gameplay but there is a certain expectation every generation. Look at Borderlands. I loved the first one and judging by the Borderlands 2 videos on youtube.com it looks like they have improved the graphics dramatically. Even if they didn't improve the graphics and used the same art assets from B1, people would still buy it but might feel a little cheated if they just slapped a number 2 on the box, changed the story a bit and charged you 60 bucks.

The TLDR Version: If you don't improve the graphics with each "version" your game will start looking dated and cheap.

I think I speak for many here that great graphics don't necessary translate into great game play but its 2012 and putting out a game that looks like it came out ten years ago is kinda disappointing.
Confused ... what is it you're referring to here? PoE looks rather nice to me, more advanced than D3 at any rate, certainly not a decade old.

The TLDR Version: If you don't improve the graphics with each "version" your game will start looking dated and cheap.

Fair enough. Are we talking about the first installment in the PoE series or are we talking about PoE2?

Because last time I checked, this is the first "version" of PoE, so we have no reference point to judge graphics from.
:D

The game looks nice enough to me. the game has advanced lighting effects and dynamic shadows, physics, high res textures ect...Perhaps your criticism is in the art style itself? they are shooting for more of a gritty realistic look. This is somewhat of a departure from the highly stylized trend of late. At any rate, the game is incredibly deep and you should give it a shot, sure you don't have giant armor that looks completely impractical and physically impossible to wear but the game still has alot of character.

I'm enjoying it. I just got started, but it seems like a damn good game. So far the only thing I don't really like is the map. I don't like the overlay thing, and the little one in the corner isn't big enough. I wish there was a full size map that I could pull up and look at instead of the overlay. Ala...gasp....D3.

Hell, there may be, but I haven't found it yet.

Nope, that's the map. For now. At least you can still move while the map is open.

Nope, that's the map. For now. At least you can still move while the map is open.

I just turned the transparency down, so it's easier to see. Like it a lot better now. And yeah, being able to move while the map is open is very nice. And it actually worries me how good this game is now, and what it could be. Normally, especially lately, the dev's fuck up a really great thing.

I wouldn't worry about the devs too much. Read their dev diaries, updates, patch commentary and feedback in the forums. These guys are gamers who like gaming.

Here's the video explaining the most recent changes to the ridiculously awesome skill tree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwJuqovp0sE

The insane skill tree is what makes me pay attention to this game. This game isn't going to devolve into everybody settling on a handful of optimized character builds with a skill tree like that. Everybody's going to have something different.

I'm enjoying it. I just got started, but it seems like a damn good game. So far the only thing I don't really like is the map. I don't like the overlay thing, and the little one in the corner isn't big enough. I wish there was a full size map that I could pull up and look at instead of the overlay. Ala...gasp....D3.

Hell, there may be, but I haven't found it yet.

Ha ha my nephews call the PoE map "The Atari map". :) But they figured it out pretty fast.

Here is a great FAQ for new players. There are features like item comparison, social windows, latency and fps meters, etc that are pretty hidden unless you know about it already. It will make your life much easier. :)

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1199

Back