cageymaru

Fully [H]
The Path of Exile: Betrayal expansion will bring back the Bestiary game play and meld it with new features based around syndicates. There are 4 syndicate divisions and after defeating a member of the syndicate; gamers will have a choice to bargain, execute, interrogate or induce them to betray each other. Your goal is to gain intelligence that leads to the captains of each division, and ultimately uncover the identity of the Immortal Syndicate's mastermind.

Members of the Immortal Syndicate can drop items with new Veiled Modifiers. Take these to Jun to Unveil the item and pick from one of three properties for the item to receive. As you Unveil specific modifiers, you learn the ability to craft these onto other items and can work towards unlocking higher-level versions of these properties. We have revamped the entire process of Mastercrafting, from the user interface to the way you acquire new crafting options. Individual Mastercrafting options are now unlocked by completing specific content, such as Incursion rooms or Delve encounters, rather than by grinding Master levels.

So, I've (very) recently gotten sucked in to Divinity: Original Sin and Original Sin 2, and have decided that I might actually like the CRPG genre. How does PoE compare? I'm still entirely new to CRPGs, but I want to try a few more out.

So, I've (very) recently gotten sucked in to Divinity: Original Sin and Original Sin 2, and have decided that I might actually like the CRPG genre. How does PoE compare? I'm still entirely new to CRPGs, but I want to try a few more out.
It's an action RPG, so the focus is first and foremost on combat. It's very good, just a different flavor than what you're talking about.

In Poe, expect to fuck up your first 10 tries making a character unless you follow a guide. But that's part of the fun and replayability.

Also, no character is ever permanently screwed, as they have leagues, and at the end of each, all skill points get reset, so if you have a build you like that, say, is getting hit with a Nerf bat, you can respec at league end to another build.

It's a more complex Diablo ii, basically what Diablo III should have been.

Very, VERY good game.

What makes you say that?

I've got thousands of hours in POE and played the last major GD expansion to the start of endgame content following a build guide. The biggest gameplay difference was that GD was much slower paced. Although POE started out similarly, it's since stacked power to the point that in a halfway decently designed build "enemies die instantly while running toward you" even in the later part of the leveling process, and most bosses can be destroyed very quickly by most builds (excepting some that are AOE tuned to the point of having terrible single target damage). I also had a lot more trouble trying to cap resists in GD as I leveled vs POE's trade leagues trivializing the issue.

OTOH I also felt GD's controls were a bit more cumbersome and gameplay was never as smooth as POE. POE's graphics are also a lot more polished and flashier (not sure if the latter is a plus). For replayability I suspect POE's random layouts will sustain better than GD just varying obstacles in hand laid out areas. I don't really have enough time with GD to say that for sure though.

This is cool! Been loving PoE after giving up Diablo 3 but I still have yet to reach end game. Seems to take a lot of hours...

This is cool! Been loving PoE after giving up Diablo 3 but I still have yet to reach end game. Seems to take a lot of hours...

Depends how much you're able to optimize it. I'm nowhere near that fast (takes me 2 days), but you can get to maps in a half dozen hours with enough practice even without twink gear. Going that fast requires not just knowing general meta layouts for each area so you can quickly find the key locations, and knowing exactly what your upgrade path is, but being really good at gameplay to the point of bypassing ~90% of the monsters you encounter and skipping as much early content as possible without hitting an underlevelled XP penalty. Not being able to resist killing stuff, and not being good enough to survive while 5 or 6 levels below content are the main reasons I'm not competitive at speed leveling. OTOH a lot of that is that I only do 1 character/league. People who do a bunch (either for variety, or because they're playing hardcore and RIP) naturally have a lot more practice at early game speed.

Depends how much you're able to optimize it. I'm nowhere near that fast (takes me 2 days), but you can get to maps in a half dozen hours with enough practice even without twink gear. Going that fast requires not just knowing general meta layouts for each area so you can quickly find the key locations, and knowing exactly what your upgrade path is, but being really good at gameplay to the point of bypassing ~90% of the monsters you encounter and skipping as much early content as possible without hitting an underlevelled XP penalty. Not being able to resist killing stuff, and not being good enough to survive while 5 or 6 levels below content are the main reasons I'm not competitive at speed leveling. OTOH a lot of that is that I only do 1 character/league. People who do a bunch (either for variety, or because they're playing hardcore and RIP) naturally have a lot more practice at early game speed.

Flying through content and bypassing stuff doesn't sound very "fun" either. I lost interest in D3 for the fact it basically came down to how fast you can complete an instance. Speed runs are another way of saying Diarrhea.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
What makes you say that?

For me it's just more playable. Also enjoy the UI and overall gameplay on Grim Dawn far more than POE. It has a deeper story too which normally I don't care much about but I'm playing through a new character right now and it really does add to it. It's probably more a preference thing than anything concrete. As someone who prefers ARPGS I'm certainly not going to complain in having choices :)

EDIT: Reading some other posts also triggered this thought - I'm more of a cleaner/dungeon crawler than a speed leveler and GD seems to reward that more than POE.

I've got thousands of hours in POE and played the last major GD expansion to the start of endgame content following a build guide. The biggest gameplay difference was that GD was much slower paced. Although POE started out similarly, it's since stacked power to the point that in a halfway decently designed build "enemies die instantly while running toward you" even in the later part of the leveling process, and most bosses can be destroyed very quickly by most builds (excepting some that are AOE tuned to the point of having terrible single target damage). I also had a lot more trouble trying to cap resists in GD as I leveled vs POE's trade leagues trivializing the issue.

OTOH I also felt GD's controls were a bit more cumbersome and gameplay was never as smooth as POE. POE's graphics are also a lot more polished and flashier (not sure if the latter is a plus). For replayability I suspect POE's random layouts will sustain better than GD just varying obstacles in hand laid out areas. I don't really have enough time with GD to say that for sure though.

You could always play SSF POE league.

Flying through content and bypassing stuff doesn't sound very "fun" either. I lost interest in D3 for the fact it basically came down to how fast you can complete an instance. Speed runs are another way of saying Diarrhea.

POE's almost entirely about maps and other endgame content, after the first or second time through the story mode basically is just there; even though GGG's statements suggest they're unlikely to offer a way to bypass it with some sort of alternate leveling mechanism like GD and IIRC D3 offer.

Back