Path of Exile 100 points & free beta test key for $10 online (Diablo 3 type game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great game so far, this is what Diablo 3 should have been IMO.

I went in for $25 personally. The skill system, gems, and economy/crafting are really interesting in this game, way more so than Diablo 3.

Great game so far, this is what Diablo 3 should have been IMO.

I went in for $25 personally. The skill system, gems, and economy/crafting are really interesting in this game, way more so than Diablo 3.

I just wish the camera could be zoomed out.

I just wish the camera zoom would go farther for the skill map. It works well on the webpage on Fullscreen at 2560x1440.

Agreed about this is how Diablo 3 should have been. I'm in both beta tests and D3 smacks of selling out for the mass market. Diablo 2 definitely had it's heyday for me and I will always remember fondly of doing hell Baal runs with my Orb sorc.

I also admire the purchase system; pay however much you want to support the devs. I gave them $25 for now and used all the points towards extra stash space. I may buy another $25 of points when they add more stuff to the store.

That screenshot looks old to me. Also, the screenshots from the game usually don't do it justice. I've taken screenshots with fraps only to look at them later and realize they just don't have the same appeal as moving around in a dungeon. Diablo doesn't have the same result - the screenshots to me feel "as good" as the game looks while it is running.

I've played both D3 and PoE betas recently (within past week). I have a level 40+ PoE char and I must say my initial impression was "this is what d3 should have been." I really like the gem system which reminds me of the materia system from ff7, and the passive skill tree which reminded me of ff10. Overall, I think the game is good. It does start to slow down when you get to higher levels on the third play through. I can't compare d3 later in game because of the lower level cap so it will be interesting to see how the end game is balanced between the two.

I think both games are good, and I will play both. At this time I was more impressed with PoE. Then again - the d3 beta I haven't played all the classes recently (only the monk). The rune system wasn't in place when I went through on all the characters.

I ended up paying 50 because I got my monies worth during the open beta weekend - ended up playing 11 hours straight on the saturday and I couldn't stop playing. I don't put in those kind of hours anymore.

Either way, I suggest people keep an eye on the game at a minimum.

That screenshot looks old to me. Also, the screenshots from the game usually don't do it justice. I've taken screenshots with fraps only to look at them later and realize they just don't have the same appeal as moving around in a dungeon. Diablo doesn't have the same result - the screenshots to me feel "as good" as the game looks while it is running.

I've played both D3 and PoE betas recently (within past week). I have a level 40+ PoE char and I must say my initial impression was "this is what d3 should have been." I really like the gem system which reminds me of the materia system from ff7, and the passive skill tree which reminded me of ff10. Overall, I think the game is good. It does start to slow down when you get to higher levels on the third play through. I can't compare d3 later in game because of the lower level cap so it will be interesting to see how the end game is balanced between the two.

I think both games are good, and I will play both. At this time I was more impressed with PoE. Then again - the d3 beta I haven't played all the classes recently (only the monk). The rune system wasn't in place when I went through on all the characters.

I ended up paying 50 because I got my monies worth during the open beta weekend - ended up playing 11 hours straight on the saturday and I couldn't stop playing. I don't put in those kind of hours anymore.

Either way, I suggest people keep an eye on the game at a minimum.

Both of the screenshots are old. I'm too lazy to reinstall my D3 Beta to check, but I'm pretty sure they changed the camera to be further away from your character.

I could be wrong, though.

Also, I've got 2 PoE beta keys if anyone's interested in trying the game out.

Yeah, I'd like to try it out, too. I am curious if it is worth the $, as if it is, my wife and I would probably both buy in... She loved Diablo.

It's certainly worth $10 if you liked Diablo 2 IMO.

I wholeheartedly agree. PoE for $10 is an amazing hot deal if you ever liked hack & slash games like Diablo1/2 or Titan quest.

That's why I felt PoE deserved a hot deals thread. Technically, the hot deal is 100 points for $10; and for that you can increase your stash size by 75%.
The free beta key just lets you eat your cake!

As a die hard fan of Diablo 2, I still think Diablo 3 is a better game. Though this game does look good.

D3 = $60/$50 on sale
PoE = $10.

$50 D3 != hot deal

It's inappropriate to really compare the two until they're fully released. But as for the beta releases PoE >>> D3. I'm in both betas.
It's hard to argue in favor of D3 beta when you're capped at level 13/14.
I don't understand how you (Gazoo) can say you think Diablo 3 is a better game when you haven't played PoE.

I think Mercedes cars are better than BMW, but I've only ridden in a BMW once and never been inside a Mercedes.
(well, there was a girl named Mercedes once)...

To be fair, $10 off a pre-order is not a bad deal if you were considering pre-ordering in the first place.

I agree it's not really a "[H]ot" deal but oh well. If it was $10 off plus a $10+ Amazon gift card or something I'd probably go for it.

D3 = $60/$50 on sale

PoE = $10.

$50 D3 != hot deal

It's inappropriate to really compare the two until they're fully released. But as for the beta releases PoE >>> D3. I'm in both betas.
It's hard to argue in favor of D3 beta when you're capped at level 13/14.

Diablo 3 doesn't need an extensive beta to build a fan base, which is why it's such a small amount of content.

I guarantee that Diablo 3 will blow PoE out of the water. (And I'm not even a fan of the D3 beta.)

Both of the screenshots are old. I'm too lazy to reinstall my D3 Beta to check, but I'm pretty sure they changed the camera to be further away from your character.

I could be wrong, though.

Also, I've got 2 PoE beta keys if anyone's interested in trying the game out.

I just realized you were referring to the camera height. I must have missed that when I responded.

I don't understand how you (Gazoo) can say you think Diablo 3 is a better game when you haven't played PoE.

I've played Diablo 3 extensively. I also know that the content in Diablo 3 is going to have loads more replay value, more finely tuned classes, skills and build options. From the videos skills seem pretty lame, and even more repetitive than Diablo 2. Not to mention, Blizzard Ent is a behemoth, I have absolute faith they will stand by Diablo 3 for years, same cannot be said for PoE.

I love indie developers, so I'll probably give it a whirl for the hell of it, but I don't expect much more than what I got from Torchlight for my Diablo fix.

For a game like Diablo, price is almost a non-issue for me. I could get an i3 for a lot less than an i7, but the premium is one I'm willing to sacrifice for the better experience.

This thread was not intended to be a comparison for D3 vs PoE.
100 points and a free beta key for PoE is $10.
That's a hot deal in my opinion.
Heck, I spent $25 on PoE and I think I got a great deal.

If you want to spend $60 on D3, go for it. The only reason I mentioned D3 because PoE gameplay is similar.

Once again, Gazoo, don't pass judgement until you've played PoE. I didn't like feta cheese until I tried it with an open mind. Otherwise GTFO. D3 price is a non-issue? So you wouldn't mind paying $80 or $100 for D3? of course price is an issue. You would probably hesitate before spending $200 on D3. I know it would fall off my list at that price.

Can you really say $10 for 100 PoE points and a closed beta key for Free isn't a HOT deal?!
Please, I spend more than that on gas in 2 days. Many people spend that much on gas in 1 day.

Last edited:
The Diamond Pack is the real deal at only $1,000. The screenshots don't look impressive, does it look good while playing? Also, how's the story line? I like the Diablo lore, I think a good story is important for immersion. Probably why I didn't care for Torchlight.

I haven't paid much attention to the story, but there's not a lot of it yet AFAIK.

I'd like to give this a try, but I'm a bit hesitant to spend $10 without trying it. If anyone has a beta key to give out, I'd like to give it a try.

Would like to try it at least. Some of these types of games are good and some are just frustrating.

Hey. Some things I can just judge by screenshots, gameplay videos, trailers and reviews. And like I said, I was going to try it; just mentioned that Diablo 3 will be a better game since others found the need to call PoE a true sequel to Diablo 2, of which I disagree with.

No need to get all flustered, I didn't.

Hey. Some things I can just judge by screenshots, gameplay videos, trailers and reviews. And like I said, I was going to try it; just mentioned that Diablo 3 will be a better game since others found the need to call PoE a true sequel to Diablo 2, of which I disagree with.

No need to get all flustered, I didn't.

Sorry, I don't mean to do this to this thread.

How do you think it will be better? If you think it will sell more, that's like saying MW3 is the best FPS ever created. If you think the gameplay will be better, you must be in with the casual crowd. Huge numbers on screen, and big flashy lights do not a good game make.

Sorry, I don't mean to do this to this thread.

How do you think it will be better? If you think it will sell more, that's like saying MW3 is the best FPS ever created. If you think the gameplay will be better, you must be in with the casual crowd. Huge numbers on screen, and big flashy lights do not a good game make.

First of all, I think the lore and story of the Diablo series will be better than that (or lack there of) of PoE. Blizzard will deliver more in the world of content, as POE's 12 man dev team, as much as I wish them well, will not be able to compete. The lack of any "unique" or named items in PoE as far as my research shows, lends me to believe this game wont influence much loot lust, which as much as people hate to admit, is a key to these games (thus why I believe LoD was better than Classic Diablo 2, since best items were not necessarily rares in each slot). Will not have anywhere as rich of an economy as Diablo 3, in fact, does it even have a real economy at all? There is no gold. It's all some merchant based system of barter that looks pretty crappy. As for Blizzard; it's their game, their franchise. PoE took what they did, and made a great looking game, but Blizzard can power through and make it something new, something better. Sure, some elements may be lackluster, but others will be right on point. Lack of any real cinematics makes me think the story line will fall even flatter. Starcraft and Diablo 2 had some of the best game cinematics for it's time.

Other than it being free-to-play, I just don't see it sinking it's teeth into me. Oh well, I'll give it a whirl, but being a Diablo fan boy, I'll stick to the Diablo series.

Way to have an open mind Gazoo. Draw as many conclusions as you want before you play either of them. That's a good approach to have an open mind. :rolleyes:

Please move your discussion to the PoE or Diablo 3 thread in the gaming forum. This is a hot deal for PoE.

Oh, and as for their barter system, please tell me the last time you sold a Zod, Jah, Ist or Ber rune for gold in D2 LOD.

Never? That's right. Never.
http://www.pathofexile.com/news/2011-02-08/dev-diary-currency

Christ dude, get off of your high horse. You defend PoE like you're one of the developers. Comparing Diablo III with PoE on a "hot deal" thread doesn't mean shit, when they're closely related.

Do I spend $10 on a game with hardly any content, or do I drop $60 in a Blizzard game?

Cry less, you're coming off as sounding like a dip shit.

I don't think you're much better defending a guy who is passing judgement without having played either game. Just sayin'.

Also, "hardly any content" is a bold-faced lie. There is plenty of content to get more than your $10 worth.

There's a lot of D2 fanboys here, myself included.
I will be purchasing D3, but I also think that PoE is well worth $10 or $25.
That is the purpose of this thread.

If you do not think 100 PoE points and beta access is worth $10, then you haven't lost much money.

Remember, PoE is going to be free to play.
As another example of a small studio and amazing success, take a loot at Riot Games and "League of Legends".

It is possible to improve & change gameplay concepts.
I don't understand why some people are upset that I'm suggesting PoE has great value at $10.

Once again, please move direct comparison discussion for D3 vs PoE to one of those threads in the gaming forum.

Last edited:
I don't think you're much better defending a guy who is passing judgement without having played either game. Just sayin'.

Also, "hardly any content" is a bold-faced lie. There is plenty of content to get more than your $10 worth.

I wasn't defending the other guy, I was just making a general statement. That $10 investment is just the tip of the micro transaction iceberg. You'll spend well over that once the game hits open beta/retail, mark my words.

I wasn't defending the other guy, I was just making a general statement. That $10 investment is just the tip of the micro transaction iceberg. You'll spend well over that once the game hits open beta/retail, mark my words.

You don't NEED to spend anything on this game. The $10 gets you beta access as well as micro-transaction points. Personally I couldn't care that much about MT points, but I wanted to continue playing the beta after the free weekend so I put forward the money. I haven't used any of my MT points yet, FWIW.

Plus, so far it's mainly been a single player experience for me, so even if they do come out with gear that you can buy for MT points (which so far all they have said they will sell is mostly cosmetic stuff, and stuff like more PvP arenas/gamemodes) I have pretty much no inclination to buy any of it.

I also see the donation as supporting the development team to put that money back into the game and add more game content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back