Patch Panel Wiring

DoMeHardR

Limp Gawd
I just got a rack and was hooking everything into it. I just bought at patch panel to make things a bit more organized but I didn't come with a wiring chart and I am not sure how to wire it. I'm running Cat5e and just tried doing 568b right down it and it didn't work. Might just be my cable.

They slots on the back look like this.

-- white ornage
-- orange

-- white green
-- blue

-- white blue
-- green

-- white brown
-- brown

Anyone know the correct way of doing it. I tried looking on google but couldn't find anything helpful.

Originally posted by DoMeHardR
I just got a rack and was hooking everything into it. I just bought at patch panel to make things a bit more organized but I didn't come with a wiring chart and I am not sure how to wire it. I'm running Cat5e and just tried doing 568b right down it and it didn't work. Might just be my cable.

They slots on the back look like this.

-- white ornage
-- orange

-- white green
-- blue

-- white blue
-- green

-- white brown
-- brown

Anyone know the correct way of doing it. I tried looking on google but couldn't find anything helpful.

I normally wire things WO/O WB/G WG/B WBr/Br

What are you using to wire it? A punchdown tool? Don't just use the plastic caps to push the wires in. Use a punchdown tool. You can get them on ebay pretty cheap.

What I do is punchdown at least once and snip the ends. The tool snips them but not as close as I would like. I use the scissors on my swiss army knife to cut them real close. Then the plastic cap fits great.

You can also find cheap network testers on ebay that will check if each pair is wired correctly. This will let you know what pairs you have wrong.

Yeah, I am using a punch down tool. Was I correct in wiring it as 568b but just make it from top to bottom in the patch panel?

what you did is copy the T568B scheme for making cables. The scheme for punchdowns on the patch panel is:
white/blue-blue, white/orange-orange, white/green-green, white/brown-brown.
For patch cables it is:
w/o,o,w/g,bl,w/bl,g,w/br,br
so skritch, yours would be wrong. the way you said actually splits the pairs and is not good.

Originally posted by jeffmoss26
what you did is copy the T568B scheme for making cables. The scheme for punchdowns on the patch panel is:
white/blue-blue, white/orange-orange, white/green-green, white/brown-brown.
For patch cables it is:
w/o,o,w/g,bl,w/bl,g,w/br,br
so skritch, yours would be wrong. the way you said actually splits the pairs and is not good.

Ah. Yes. You're right. The punhcdown blocks have to be wired straight through.

Wasn't thinking...I haven't touched a punchdown tool in more than 10 years.

Back