Password Protected Directory(web) and style.css

cmosdos

2[H]4U
I'm working on building my website right now. I was hoping I could make it so that someone doesn't steal my style sheet. I figured if I put it inside a password protected website nobody could download it. But, by doing that will it disable the access to the pages pulling info from the style sheet?

my guess is yes, it will disable access to the stylesheet

good luck finding a way :rolleyes:

images, i might be able to understand the desire to protect, but a stylesheet? i don't want to seem rude, i guess it kinda caught me by surprise

I agree with tim. I doubt you have anything exactly extraordinary in your stylesheet, and most people probably wont even care to rip it. And if someone *wants* to rip your site, they will. You won't be able to stop them (short of not uploading it to your webserver)

alright. I guess I'll just leave it then. What about protecting the source code of the site? Thanks!

Originally posted by cmosdos
alright. I guess I'll just leave it then. What about protecting the source code of the site? Thanks!
Not possible. All you'll succeed in doing (if you try) is frustrating a normal viewer and doing nothing at all to someone who really wants it.

The nature of the web is to be open information. In order to properly render a website, a browser needs to retrieve the necessary information. Ask yourself: is there really going to be anything all that unique in your layouts that somebody won't be able to crank out in a few minutes with dreamweaver?

Guess not. Oh well. I just remember seeing this site one time that even when you click the View/Source menu option in IE the Source option was greyed out. Its not that big of a deal. I was just curious. Thanks guys.

Originally posted by cmosdos
Guess not. Oh well. I just remember seeing this site one time that even when you click the View/Source menu option in IE the Source option was greyed out. Its not that big of a deal. I was just curious. Thanks guys.
the way around that would be to use another browser

Originally posted by tim
the way around that would be to use another browser

this is true <drools over firebird's source viewer>

why would you really want to try and protect it anyway? Overzealous protection just gets in the way.

Websites that don't allow the user to click anywhere, or hit control, or alt, or rick click just pissed me off.

Originally posted by kleptophobiac
this is true <drools over firebird's source viewer>

why would you really want to try and protect it anyway? Overzealous protection just gets in the way.

Websites that don't allow the user to click anywhere, or hit control, or alt, or rick click just pissed me off.

I totally agree with you on that. I guess its just my experience being in the network security field. I'll just do it as I've always done it. Thanks!

The most powerfull source protection on the net you can hope for is a © sign :)

Or rewrite the entire internet such that you dont need to download to view a web page wake me up when you figure that one out ;)

Back