[Passmark] Ryzen 5 5600X claims the first place in single-thread performance in Passmark

You are aware of the amount of people starving right now? Poor choice of an analogy.
How many starving people are in equal need for a gaming rig, even on a budget? No, starving people don't factor into this particular market.

Gamers, even poor gamers, are pretty widely recognized for being able to maintain a solid budget for snacks.

Cut back on snacks, and buy parts that are more future-proof.

AMD technically DOES support the CPUs on various chipsets. Whether or not the board vendors utilize AMD's support is another story. I don't see that as AMD's fault per se. The fact that your board doesn't support the 8 core 3700x seems to be a VRM issue as in the board manufacturer didn't want to chance the higher power draw from Zen2. The 5XX boards definitely have significantly better power delivery (and significantly higher pricing) compared to 1st gen boards.

But yes, there's nothing standing in the way of B550 1st gen support other than the bios size. My X570 will work with a 2400G which is essentially a 1st gen part.
That is a lack of AMD standardizing how motherboards should work. Do I need to watch Buildzoid videos from Actually Hardware Overclocking to know what VRMs I'm actually getting? There should be a clear label that shows that this motherboard can handle 8 core or 12 core CPU's, and have a sufficiently large bios for future CPU updates. Many people don't know that the Bulldozer CPU's weren't AMD's big problem but the motherboards as not many could handle the heat and power that the 6 or 8 cores needed. You needed 990 or 990FX based board to ensure the CPU worked correctly.

That is a lack of AMD standardizing how motherboards should work. Do I need to watch Buildzoid videos from Actually Hardware Overclocking to know what VRMs I'm actually getting? There should be a clear label that shows that this motherboard can handle 8 core or 12 core CPU's, and have a sufficiently large bios for future CPU updates. Many people don't know that the Bulldozer CPU's weren't AMD's big problem but the motherboards as not many could handle the heat and power that the 6 or 8 cores needed. You needed 990 or 990FX based board to ensure the CPU worked correctly.

I think GN did a good video talking about the AMD Zen3 B450/X470 bios issue. In it, he referenced back to the B350/X370 boards where board partners were leary of AMD and didn't go crazy with board designs. After there was decent OG Zen adoption, then there were decent boards. Early boards just weren't designed for the high power draw outside of maybe the Taichi and CH6. 2nd gen B350 boards (the aforementioned B350-F for example) were a little better, but the early ones were suspect at best. Mostly due to board partners not trusting AMD to release a good product.

I think GN did a good video talking about the AMD Zen3 B450/X470 bios issue. In it, he referenced back to the B350/X370 boards where board partners were leary of AMD and didn't go crazy with board designs. After there was decent OG Zen adoption, then there were decent boards. Early boards just weren't designed for the high power draw outside of maybe the Taichi and CH6. 2nd gen B350 boards (the aforementioned B350-F for example) were a little better, but the early ones were suspect at best. Mostly due to board partners not trusting AMD to release a good product.
My MSI Tomahawk B350 had issues at release that were later fixed by with BIOS updates. The ASRock B350 motherboards were horrendous when it came to stability. It took nearly 2 years before my ASRock AB350 got a bios update that allowed me to control the NB/SOC voltage. AMD shouldn't give board partners that level of freedom when it comes to what VRMS and BIOS comes with the board. There should be a very strict minimum that AMD can enforce because consumers don't know the difference between a bad CPU and a bad motherboard. All they know is that it's AMD all around and when things go wrong then it's AMD's fault. It also took AMD far too long to release the B550 motherboards. I remember seeing OEM's with these motherboards before it went retail.

Last edited:
Back