[Passmark] Ryzen 5 5600X claims the first place in single-thread performance in Passmark

I just don't see a Zen 3 upgrade for me, gaming performance with Zen 2 is more than good enough for me, other stuff I don't think there is significant reason to. If I upgrade it will probably be TR, if I go from 24 to 32 cores but that is about it. Care less about 1080p performance or performance over my monitor refresh rate.

I just don't see a Zen 3 upgrade for me, gaming performance with Zen 2 is more than good enough for me, other stuff I don't think there is significant reason to. If I upgrade it will probably be TR, if I go from 24 to 32 cores but that is about it. Care less about 1080p performance or performance over my monitor refresh rate.
When I built my current 3600x system I thought I will slot this... and wait for zen 3 then slot a 8 core. Now I'm honestly thinking it makes more sense to just hold pat and wait and see if AMD pulls out a Zen3+ next year before moving to Zen 4. I'm guessing that will be the end of the AM4... and might be worth just waiting till then. I think like you I really didn't expect this 3600x to keep me happy for a long time... but I am running a ultra wide monitor with a 75hz refresh, and am not honestly looking to change that for another couple years probably. My 3600x+5700xt combo can basically lock 99% of the games I play at a solid 75fps. Heck the main couple games I play are getting a little old and honestly I use Radeon chill to lock those games to 74 fps and the fans on my 5700 actually turn off 90% of the time I'm in game. Get less FPS out of games like AC: origins and odyssey... and I do plan to play through Valhalla and Cyberpunk but I'm expecting I'll be able to hit nice solid high 60s in those games without turning much if anything off.

I am sure a lot of people are going to upgrade from their Zen1 and Zen+ chips to Zen3. Zen2 folks I don't know a lot of us might just sit and wait till next spring/summer when a refresh hits.

So if gaming is the main concern then someone that does not go Zen3 right at launch can look forward to Rocket Lake and then Zen3+
I don't know for sure but i don't think there's gonna be a Zen3+ pretty sure their next step is Zen4/X670/DDR5/PCIE 5.0 in about a year or so. read something the other day about ddr5 production ramping up or actually it was Micron's early adoption program
https://investors.micron.com/news-r...s-ddr5-adoption-technology-enablement-program

Zen2 folks I don't know a lot of us might just sit and wait till next spring/summer when a refresh hits.

yeah, I think that’s where I am. All the pc games I’m still playing are older titles where single core speed would benefit. I got the 3700x I have as a “best of both worlds” situation because I figured I’d be running a VMs to test things for work. But then we bought really nice workstation laptops.

now for me it’s a question of best possible drop-in upgrade for single core performance in my small form factor build. If a 5600x is notably quicker then I expect what I’m playing (Warcraft, Guild Wars 2 and catching up on various early-to-mid 2010s games) would benefit from it.

but I’m also on a b450i strix so it’d be a while yet before there was bios support for zen3, if ever. And if it means replacing the motherboard, too, I’ll just wait for, I dunno, zen4 or zen5 or whatever and do a whole system upgrade in a few years instead.

According to a few members these benches mean nothing. We are supposed to verify these results by running 39 games seven times each because benches are useless.

I truly believe the internet is the worst invention of humanity
Sounds like they are waiting for Hardware Unboxed review.

yeah, I think that’s where I am. All the pc games I’m still playing are older titles where single core speed would benefit. I got the 3700x I have as a “best of both worlds” situation because I figured I’d be running a VMs to test things for work. But then we bought really nice workstation laptops.

now for me it’s a question of best possible drop-in upgrade for single core performance in my small form factor build. If a 5600x is notably quicker then I expect what I’m playing (Warcraft, Guild Wars 2 and catching up on various early-to-mid 2010s games) would benefit from it.

but I’m also on a b450i strix so it’d be a while yet before there was bios support for zen3, if ever. And if it means replacing the motherboard, too, I’ll just wait for, I dunno, zen4 or zen5 or whatever and do a whole system upgrade in a few years instead.
My 3600X is still going strong. Think I'll be skipping out on this gen as well. Now if I was still using my 1600? Oh man, talk about a jump.

My 3600X is still going strong. Think I'll be skipping out on this gen as well. Now if I was still using my 1600? Oh man, talk about a jump.
I specifically bounght a 3600 for ~ $135 effective to hold me over, figuring Zen3 would be a massive upgrade. OTD cost for me was $35 for the cpu after selling my i5-8400 for $100 + cost of X570 motherboard of my choice. Now ready for Zen3 if it's available & good as everyone says it is. I specifically didn't buy 3700x because I figured I'd save that $100 cost differential for Zen3. Even if it wasn't as good as the rumours said, I went 6 threads -> 12 threads and maybe slightly slower gaming performance. Hoping reviews look good so I can recycle this 3600 into maybe a desktop for the wife (She's on i5-3450, seriously) and upgrade my gaming box again :)

I don't know for sure but i don't think there's gonna be a Zen3+ pretty sure their next step is Zen4/X670/DDR5/PCIE 5.0 in about a year or so. read something the other day about ddr5 production ramping up or actually it was Micron's early adoption program
https://investors.micron.com/news-r...s-ddr5-adoption-technology-enablement-program

I have a feeling Zen3+ and Zen 4 will launch very close together. With 3+ perhaps only being a 3-4 months before Zen 4. I am sure AMD (and Intel) are going to market DDR 4 and DDR 5 platforms at the same time for at least year. Zen 4 may see zero lower end SKUs, and perhaps not even real mid range options until Zen4+ hits.

I am sure AMD (and Intel) are going to market DDR 4 and DDR 5 platforms at the same time for at least year.
AMD said they're still on an 18-month cycle so that means mid- or early-2022 at best. I've said it before, I think if DDR5 becomes available next year, I could see AMD doing a Zen 3 refresh with DDR5 and a new socket that's Zen 4 ready, but I don't expect to see Zen 4 earlier than scheduled.

It would also give them a chance to introduce it as a 6000-series CPU, which would put their CPUs and GPUs in the same number range.

I'll admit this pleases me for non-technical reasons and that's why I want it to happen, not that I expect it to.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
The biggest competition to Zen 3 will be discounted/used Zen 2. 3600 is hard to beat for price/performance. 3900x is also <$400 used now, seen it as low as ~$330.
I really think that is how AMD priced Zen3

Ryzen 5 (Zen3) @ Ryzen 7 (Zen2) Price
Ryzen 7 (Zen3) @ Ryzen 9 (Zen2) Price
Ryzen 9 (12 core Zen3) @ cheaper than 3950x price.

The biggest competition to Zen 3 will be discounted/used Zen 2. 3600 is hard to beat for price/performance. 3900x is also <$400 used now, seen it as low as ~$330.

I think AMD would be happy with such a scenario. There is probably a lot of stock sitting there and getting rid of it (even discounted) still helps their bottom line as well as market share.

I think AMD would be happy with such a scenario. There is probably a lot of stock sitting there and getting rid of it (even discounted) still helps their bottom line as well as market share.

Keeps people in their pool as well. If a few people build brand new machines and slot a Ryzen 3800 they got new at a steal... or a 3900 they got used. AMD can count them as potential drop in upgraders when Zen3+ hits especially if they announce that as the end of AM4.

3E848D8D-CF96-4FE0-BD66-09CD62693CC0.gif

As much as I wanna clap for this, but the 3600X is like $300. So what's going to be in the $200 range, a quad core CPU? I can't exactly be happy for AMD when they're pricing their products like Intel. Intel isn't going to lower prices either. Intel will just pump out a higher clocked CPU that gets really hot and pulls lots of power, but they'll still be at the top, with an even higher price tag.

The
As much as I wanna clap for this, but the 3600X is like $300. So what's going to be in the $200 range, a quad core CPU? I can't exactly be happy for AMD when they're pricing their products like Intel. Intel isn't going to lower prices either. Intel will just pump out a higher clocked CPU that gets really hot and pulls lots of power, but they'll still be at the top, with an even higher price tag.
5600 will be $220 and fill that spot. It just isn't releasing yet. Also, the 3600x still fills the gap for now.

So when Intel had the lead in gaming it did not matter as it was "close enough". Now that AMD will have the lead nearly everyone will claim it "destroys" Intel. I think people need to go back and look at AMD slides as other than League of legends and CSGO the lead AMD has in gaming with even the 5900x over the 10900k in the other games it showed was around 5%. Bottom line is that Intel had a bigger overall lead before but now all of sudden an even smaller lead is such a big deal just because its AMD. Hell all Intel as to do is get a modest 10% IPC increase with Rocket Lake and it will be in the overall lead in gaming again. I am thinking about getting a 5900x myself but these silly exaggerations based on a couple of outliers needs to stop.

Even Intel won’t dent they’re in trouble at this point. They are nowhere close in productivity, and their marketing team switched to saying that it’s all about gaming. Well, now they’re lagging in that too. Rocket Lake might be able to pull it off, maybe, but it’s still on the 14nm process and is going to have to end up sucking down a Biblical amount of power if it wants to accomplish that. Intel still has plenty of resources to dig themselves out of this hole, but you can’t deny that it’s a massive hole to be in now that they are getting beaten by all metrics from a competitor selling their processors for significantly less.

Were you expecting AMD to not raise the price to “do you a solid”?

Well for at least a month or two I am assuming fire sales on Zen 2 parts. :)

Athlon XP all over again.

No. Athlon XPs were the bang for the buck and/or anti Intel crowd CPUs and that's it. If you had the budget to build the best gaming PC, you built a P4. If you wanted a top performance multitasking multimedia PC, you built a P4.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=845&cid=2&pg=15

Zen2 was like Athlon64 vs Prescott. Trading blows, but AMD wasn't the clear winner all the time.

Zen3 will be AMD's Athlon 64 X2 vs Pentium D moment all over again. Finally :)

Will Intel make a Conroe like comeback in 2021/22? Who knows? But we are finally getting really great competition now!

Well, it seems some more PassMark bench #'s have "leaked".... Take with large block of salt of course as no info is provided if this is OC'ed and/or what RAM speed is being used, but it still bodes well for expecting the 5950x to deliver the goods!

1603729983565.png

This is from the following link: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-9-5950x-zen-3-cpu-benchmarks

If this holds up, Intel is in for an epic spanking this time around... especially when it comes to multi-threaded performance.

Last edited:
No. Athlon XPs were the bang for the buck and/or anti Intel crowd CPUs and that's it. If you had the budget to build the best gaming PC, you built a P4. If you wanted a top performance multitasking multimedia PC, you built a P4.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=845&cid=2&pg=15

Zen2 was like Athlon64 vs Prescott. Trading blows, but AMD wasn't the clear winner all the time.

Zen3 will be AMD's Athlon 64 X2 vs Pentium D moment all over again. Finally :)

Will Intel make a Conroe like comeback in 2021/22? Who knows? But we are finally getting really great competition now!

Prescott was never trading blow with Athlon 64.
it was still stuck trading blow with AthlonXP

Athlon64 smoked intel's offerings and was the reason AMD for af short moment had a bigger market than intel because it took intel way long time to come back with the Core2duo

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1517/10

Prescott was never trading blow with Athlon 64.
it was still stuck trading blow with AthlonXP

Athlon64 smoked intel's offerings and was the reason AMD for af short moment had a bigger market than intel because it took intel way long time to come back with the Core2duo

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1517/10

Did you even read that graphs you posted? Scroll down. P4 560 held its own against the 3200+ and often the 3400+ as well. The P4 3.4EE still beat a 3500+ in many games.

Athlon 64 socket 754 didn't dominate Intel at all. It traded blows until the very end of their run, with the last couple single core 939 models 3800+/4000+ finally consistently beating Intel in gaming. Then dominating with the X2 and OC'd Opterons

What's with the BS? So many gamers spread the lies of AMD beating Intel in the XP days and then the early 64 days when they were new. And they are still doing it all these years later, despite mountains of evidence that just was not true.

Well, it seems some more PassMark bench #'s have "leaked".... Take with large block of salt of course as no info is provided if this is OC'ed and/or what RAM speed is being used, but it still bodes well for expecting the 5950x to deliver the goods!

This is from the following link: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-9-5950x-zen-3-cpu-benchmarks

If this holds up, Intel is in for an epic spanking this time around... especially when it comes to multi-threaded performance.
intel just has to release a 20-core Core i11 for $799 and they can take the crown. :D

Did you even read that graphs you posted? Scroll down. P4 560 held its own against the 3200+ and often the 3400+ as well. The P4 3.4EE still beat a 3500+ in many games.

Athlon 64 socket 754 didn't dominate Intel at all. It traded blows until the very end of their run, with the last couple single core 939 models 3800+/4000+ finally consistently beating Intel in gaming. Then dominating with the X2 and OC'd Opterons

What's with the BS? So many gamers spread the lies of AMD beating Intel in the XP days and then the early 64 days when they were new. And they are still doing it all these years later, despite mountains of evidence that just was not true.
Just lol....

dude, you can't expect them to just give them away... they are now performance leaders. i remember in 2006 the 2.6GHz dual core FX-60 was over $1000

plus 3600X is going for ~ $240 american. not sure where you're getting your prices from? if you're a gamer i would be looking at an 8 core chip anyway.

dude, you can't expect them to just give them away... they are now performance leaders. i remember in 2006 the 2.6GHz dual core FX-60 was over $1000

i paid $550 each for my Pentium Pro 180s ... that was $1100 total for 2 count them 2 cpus that each had 1 thread
so $1100 for 2 cores with a total of 2 threads
and do not forget this also had the math chip (ie 80387) built in! not the 386/387 combo..

Back