Pretty sure that wont happen. After awhile if the cpu was loaded, there would be no where for the heat to go since you dont have a fan blowing on the heatsink. It might work with a underclocked mobile cpu. And why are you against getting a good heatsink and putting a 800rpm fan on it. I guarantee you will hear other components in your system over a 800rpm fan.

You may want to try a vertical case cooling solution if going passive. Check the RV01/02 and FT02

Even a 500rpm fan, which in a case will be in-audible, will work. Let alone, an 800-1000rpm fan, which is inaudible next to a HDD. If you really wanna get fancy, fabricate a duct from the CPU heatsink, to the rear exhaust fan. Youll essentially be running a fanless CPU heatsink, and using "case airflow".

Can it be done and if so which heatsink would be up to the job?

Absolutely. Try the Thermalright HR-01 plus, or the Coolermaster Z600R (A VERY hot deal)

Pretty sure that wont happen. After awhile if the cpu was loaded, there would be no where for the heat to go since you dont have a fan blowing on the heatsink. It might work with a underclocked mobile cpu. And why are you against getting a good heatsink and putting a 800rpm fan on it. I guarantee you will hear other components in your system over a 800rpm fan.

Wrong. My HR-01 Plus can run a stock Phenom II X4 at 3ghz passively cooled. As long as you have at least one case exhaust fan, you'll be fine.

Absolutely. Try the Thermalright HR-01 plus, or the Coolermaster Z600R (A VERY hot deal)

Wrong. My HR-01 Plus can run a stock Phenom II X4 at 3ghz passively cooled. As long as you have at least one case exhaust fan, you'll be fine.

Congrats. Youre trading silence for cooling (with comparably really shitty cooling) when you could have the same silence with a low speed fan and excellent cooling. (In contrast to the terrible setup you have now, of course)

Passive = over-rated, not practical, horribly inefficient, but silent, while active with low speed will still achieve dead silence with far, far better cooling.

He asked which CPU coolers can passively cool an E8400. I am the only one who answered the question, as asked. Pretty much all your posts are therefore OT.

He asked which CPU coolers can passively cool an E8400. I am the only one who answered the question, as asked. Pretty much all your posts are therefore OT.

Forum posts are open to critique as well. Talk about an OT post :rolleyes:. Congrats, you answered the question, when the rest of us gave him a realistic critique. BTW you should throw a real low speed fan on yours and OC it a bit.

You condescended to him, yes. I don't know about critiquing... more like patronizing.

Back