Partitioning an Ubuntu file/web/game server.

Bop

2[H]4U
I'm planning on installing Ubuntu Server on a home server as my first foray into Linux. I plan on getting 3 HDDs: 1x1TB for the OS, game server, media AND a ftp server. Possibly a PhpBB2 server as well for my friends and I. The other 2x2TBs are purely for backup (RAID1).

I'm interested in hearing ways I can partition the first HDD for the best performance and ease of use. I will probably use a WD 1TB Green(WD10EARS). I've heard partitioning is more of an art than a science, so I'd like to see some "art". :) I was thinking:

100GB OS (Should I split it further for swap files and the like?)
100GB Game server files
500GB Media files
100GB FTP for friends and I
100GB FTP for only me
100GB Web server

Also are there any good tips on managing permissions/Iptables to enhance security? I don't want my friends accessing anything other than the game, ftp, and web server.

What do you hope to achieve by partitioning the drive? Going with the default partitioning scheme of boot+swap+everything else should be good enough.

What do you hope to achieve by partitioning the drive? Going with the default partitioning scheme of boot+swap+everything else should be good enough.

I've read that many systems have root,/boot,/var, /tmp partitions for added security. I'll actually be using a SSD now for the OS and whatever space left for the gaming server partition. I plan on using part of a 1TB physical disc for the /home(data) partition so I'll at least need two partitions besides the OS ones.

You put /boot on a separate partition to ease system recovery (and, on older machines it was separated to work around a BIOS limitation about where you can boot from.

/tmp was often placed on small fast disks for performance reasons

/var can be placed on a separate device so that you don't have to worry about it overflowing & affecting the system

placing / and /usr on separate partitions can be useful for security if you mount them read-only.

But this is overkill unless you're dealing with really high load or complex things like SAN. I'd take the easy route and just make the 1TB a single partition and symlink some things into there.

You put /boot on a separate partition to ease system recovery (and, on older machines it was separated to work around a BIOS limitation about where you can boot from.

/tmp was often placed on small fast disks for performance reasons

/var can be placed on a separate device so that you don't have to worry about it overflowing & affecting the system

placing / and /usr on separate partitions can be useful for security if you mount them read-only.

But this is overkill unless you're dealing with really high load or complex things like SAN. I'd take the easy route and just make the 1TB a single partition and symlink some things into there.

^^ well explained! ^^

The way I setup my multi-function servers (personal not work) is as follows:

Example Drive (1tb)

/ (root) = 500meg
/usr = 20gig
/var = 20gig
/tmp = 300meg
/home = 1gig/per user

I then use the remander as a seperate mounted partition as this keeps files in there own little directory. Withing that partition i do something like:

stuff/ftp (FTP file dump)
stuff/www (apache directory root)
stuff/content (more "stuff")

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 now but it keeps telling me it can't load files from the CD-ROM. I'm using a USB key to install it. I've tried Universal USB Installer and Unetbootin. Any idea what could be causing this?

EDIT: Found the fix: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9637343&postcount=4

Last edited:
Back