Partially Installed RPM

nick_sabatino

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I was trying to install a program, and when tryed to compile using ./configure, it told me I didn't have a compiler. So off i went to get gcc. First, I downloaded the i586 rpm, and was told that i needed cpp and libgcc. So downloaded and installed those. THEN, as I was installing the original gcc rpm, it somehow failed in between, and I still cant compile the original program. So i thought, lets just uninstall all the rpms, and start over. So i went into the terminal, entered "rpm -e gccblahblahblah". The cursor thing skipped to the next line, AND NOTHING HAPPENS! UGH! What do i do now? Even if it doesn't involve removing the rpms, what do i do to install this bloody program?

Thanks for your help in advance,

-nick

if you have a way to do this in your distro, use the gui to install the development set of rpms. you can probably get them of your installation cd, and then if you need a newer version of gcc (3.4 current?) or something you can download just the required rpms. Hopefully you dont have circular rpm issues: when a needed package depends on something that has the first package as a depend (and variations).

nick_sabatino said:
So i went into the terminal, entered "rpm -e gccblahblahblah". The cursor thing skipped to the next line, AND NOTHING HAPPENS! UGH! What do i do now?

Sounds like it removed the package successfully.

Tomahawk said:
Sounds like it removed the package successfully.

It didnt bring me to a new bash prompt though.It was just nothing. I could type anything. And press enter to get to the next line. it was ridiculous.
Anyways, ill try looking on the CD, but wont installing another RPM interfere with the existing partially installed one?

Ugh, i hate this stuff.

Thanks for your help though

-Nick

nick_sabatino said:
...but wont installing another RPM interfere with the existing partially installed one?

Possibly.

Check to see if the partially installed package is registered in your RPM database. Use "rpm -q <packagename>" or "rpm -qa | grep <string>" to find out.

Back