Paramount Says The Klingon Language Protected By Copyright

The real question I want answered is, what do they hope to gain by this, and is the cost in negative PR worth the potential gain?

Regarding Star Trek TV series, TOS and TNG are all I cared for. Actors are what matter most, and those guys had charisma. Everything following was either painfully politically correct and forced, or just downright bad (like Enterprise, which killed the series... country theme music, what were they thinking?!?!).

Now BSG, *THAT* was a good sci-fi, but for whatever reason it didn't develop the religion around it like Star Trek and Star Wars, despite being so many magnitudes better.

i just want more movies with borg... cause they are the worst of the bad ass and like exist somewhere.

Well, in the first cast the copyright office doesn't list it as such. And in the second cased...while theoretically not a bad idea....the practical result would be the linguistic equivalent of suing and countersuing over round-corners. Does Oxford English Dictionary own the copyright on English?

And let's be honest....this isn't about making sure someone gets their due who invented something. This is about stifling competition.

If anything Webster would "technically" own the "American English" since he (Noah Webster) categorized and standardized the usage and created the first American dictionary.

Does the Tolkien estate "own" elvish?

Now BSG, *THAT* was a good sci-fi, but for whatever reason it didn't develop the religion around it like Star Trek and Star Wars, despite being so many magnitudes better.

BSG was horrible, disjointed, and pretty much lacked any compelling story lines that were even semi-relatable. I've tried over a dozen times to watch the series and it becomes such a tedious effort that I've sworn off even trying. But then again, I hate the vast majority of Star Trek series and movies, generally just like TNG, and the new Star Wars (1-3) so take my views with a huge grain of salt.

If anything Webster would "technically" own the "American English" since he (Noah Webster) categorized and standardized the usage and created the first American dictionary.

Does the Tolkien estate "own" elvish?

Thing with Tolkien languages...you could at least make a case. He entirely created the IP on his own, and published it under his name and estate under copyright. The vocab, the grammar, the alphabet(s)....he compiled it and made it all, sure he took inspiration from how other languages worked...but ultimately it was all his creation.

English existed as a language before the first American dictionary. And it has been evolving through usage over the last many centuries (millenia). Similar to but on a much larger scale than Klingon (millenia versus decades).

BSG was horrible, disjointed, and pretty much lacked any compelling story lines that were even semi-relatable. I've tried over a dozen times to watch the series and it becomes such a tedious effort that I've sworn off even trying. But then again, I hate the vast majority of Star Trek series and movies, generally just like TNG, and the new Star Wars (1-3) so take my views with a huge grain of salt.
Are you talking about the original, or the win every award in the world remake? If the latter, regarding "relatable", one thing that kind of angers me with most sci-fi is that its often so super liberal and nonsensical because of promoting agendas, and BSG was one of the first that seemed far more realistic and plausible and wasn't trying to push the latest "transsexual lives matter" or "communist utopia" or whatever happened to be the big SJW cause of the week.

So I suppose if someone were looking for that kind of "moral to the story" validation, and find that's pretty much entirely absent from a gritty show like BSG, that could be off-putting. After all, the main premise of the series was about what it means to be human and a sentient being vs just a machine, and completely does away with things like the idealized Star Trek universe. In Star Trek for example, virtually no one is lazy and you have people inexplicably doing dangerous and dirty work with no real incentive system in place that dutifully do their jobs without complaint until they die, all the work unremembered and unsung. In BSG, they expose a government rife with nepotism, self-interest, romances, and a political battle between civilians and the military dictatorship in which the dictatorship is actually seen as more rational and reasonable given the circumstances (instead of the perpetual bad-guy).

So I suppose BSG could be very painful to watch if one is used to very far left-wing series, since it doesn't conform to any such propaganda (the most extreme of which probably being Star Trek Voyager) and instead aims for rational plausibility.

Are you talking about the original, or the win every award in the world remake? If the latter, regarding "relatable", one thing that kind of angers me with most sci-fi is that its often so super liberal and nonsensical because of promoting agendas, and BSG was one of the first that seemed far more realistic and plausible and wasn't trying to push the latest "transsexual lives matter" or "communist utopia" or whatever happened to be the big SJW cause of the week.

So I suppose if someone were looking for that kind of "moral to the story" validation, and find that's pretty much entirely absent from a gritty show like BSG, that could be off-putting. After all, the main premise of the series was about what it means to be human and a sentient being vs just a machine, and completely does away with things like the idealized Star Trek universe. In Star Trek for example, virtually no one is lazy and you have people inexplicably doing dangerous and dirty work with no real incentive system in place that dutifully do their jobs without complaint until they die, all the work unremembered and unsung. In BSG, they expose a government rife with nepotism, self-interest, romances, and a political battle between civilians and the military dictatorship in which the dictatorship is actually seen as more rational and reasonable given the circumstances (instead of the perpetual bad-guy).

So I suppose BSG could be very painful to watch if one is used to very far left-wing series, since it doesn't conform to any such propaganda (the most extreme of which probably being Star Trek Voyager) and instead aims for rational plausibility.
colors, and taste its a never ending argument.. i tried bsg the new series, it didn't take.. im no interested in any tv or film before 90s rarely 80s the pace in unbearable.. i will say this the last star gate series was fairly rough, but great, didn't see that greatness in bsg, not that i tried too hard.

I'm pretty conservative but more moderate than most. I can't stand TV shows pushing agendas, let along liberal agendas, and BSG was pretty painful to watch. Usually give a show 3 episodes to take off and after a couple of years and trying numerous times I've never finished season 1. Even tried skipping ahead to season 2 and it still was a huge kerplunk.

Back