Parallel Port Access with Java

Elmo187

Limp Gawd
I've been trying to write to the parallel port using Java but without any luck using the javax communications api from sun. All i need to do is be able to send 1 byte numbers through the port as I am controlling a floppy drive.

Has anyone been able to sucessfully use the parallel port with Java?

Note: Using Java 1.4.2 on win2000

I think the moral there is that NT introduced the conceptof forced abstraction of user software from the hardware- the OS was a required go-between at all times, unlike previous OS's where you could simply talk to whatever hardware you wanted more or less.

2k + xp, being descendents of NT, follow the same philosophy, you generally can't talk directly to hardware. Java introduces yet another layer of abstraction, but you've probably got that sorted.

Mr Hammer is idicating that this UserPort thingy helps, I remember when I was doing parallel and serial programmign with C on a 2k machine, we used something similar called NTPort methinks. Either way, something is most likely needed, good luck.

I've got UserPort running, but it still hangs when attempting to send data out. I also can't change the mode for LPT1. This is while running the ParallelBlackBox demo included in the communications API.

I'll just have to play around a little more and see what I can figure out.

Back