Paradox sale on Steam

Lumpus

Limp Gawd
Most titles 50% off, which is Ok...
Most DLC's (far, far too many) mostly 30%

How many DLC's does EU4 have now? Over 100??

/was hoping to pick up all of the Stellaris DLC's... but still not cheap enough :/

Ah Stellaris, pretty much you played a different game every 6 months.
Ha! Only if you got the DLCs. But I do like Stellaris as a game, at least when modding it out as I can't stand bullshit like "oh you have 3 planets? well fine we'll drop your research by 20%" WTF!? Plus it's often a pain to get past that midgame to end game point when you can beat anyone you go to war with, but actually conquering them when you go to war is a bit of a pain, and if you take too long the war is magically over.

Ha! Only if you got the DLCs. But I do like Stellaris as a game, at least when modding it out as I can't stand bullshit like "oh you have 3 planets? well fine we'll drop your research by 20%" WTF!? Plus it's often a pain to get past that midgame to end game point when you can beat anyone you go to war with, but actually conquering them when you go to war is a bit of a pain, and if you take too long the war is magically over.
Oh which mod is that? I could sure use that one on my sub list.

Even with no DLC, it is a different game with the 2.0 update since they change the mechanics of fleets, border expansion, and FTL travel. 2.1 update will change planets.

Edit, it never made sense with research, more planets you take, longer than research, I do get it from a balance point of view but from actual gameplay, it still doesn't make any sense since the more resource you take, the more resource you can throw at a problem. But, I do appreciate the play style you can go, go wide and take a research hit but able to build a pretty big fleet, or go tall, get the research advantage but relying of smaller fleet but powerful ships.

Last edited:
Most titles 50% off, which is Ok...
Most DLC's (far, far too many) mostly 30%

How many DLC's does EU4 have now? Over 100??

/was hoping to pick up all of the Stellaris DLC's... but still not cheap enough :/

watch gmg that's where i got all the dlc's on sale a while back. either way they're worth the full price for them since i only paid 10 dollars for the actual game.

if i remember correctly a few months ago they changed all the war mechanics but haven't had time to play to test it.

Even with no DLC, it is a different game with the 2.0 update since they change the mechanics of fleets, border expansion, and FTL travel. 2.1 update will change planets.
Don't recall what the last version I played, but yeah I get you. When I first played the game you could choose 3 different types of movement, the last time I played (when they introduced robots as a race) that was reduced to star lane travel only unless you managed to research some jump drive technology later.

Oh which mod is that? I could sure use that one on my sub list.
It wasn't an official mod at all, I simply edited the game files. Looking at my game direction it's in common/defines and there's two flags to change this TECH_COST_MULT_NUM_POPS and TECH_COST_MULT_NUM_COLONIES and TECH_COST_MULT_NUM_SYSTEMS and set those values to zero and you're good to go, a quick google shows that there is a no penalty mod on Steam though if you got your game through that and don't feel like fiddling with shit. Although with the latest update (which I haven't played so haven't updated) not sure if any of those flags will still be valid.

Don't recall what the last version I played, but yeah I get you. When I first played the game you could choose 3 different types of movement, the last time I played (when they introduced robots as a race) that was reduced to star lane travel only unless you managed to research some jump drive technology later.

It wasn't an official mod at all, I simply edited the game files. Looking at my game direction it's in common/defines and there's two flags to change this TECH_COST_MULT_NUM_POPS and TECH_COST_MULT_NUM_COLONIES and TECH_COST_MULT_NUM_SYSTEMS and set those values to zero and you're good to go, a quick google shows that there is a no penalty mod on Steam though if you got your game through that and don't feel like fiddling with shit. Although with the latest update (which I haven't played so haven't updated) not sure if any of those flags will still be valid.
Appreciate that! I'll look into both ways. Would be worth a playthrough at least. Especially a wide one. Good to know!

Appreciate that! I'll look into both ways. Would be worth a playthrough at least. Especially a wide one. Good to know!
No problem, that was one of my first gripes when I first played this game, especially since every other 4x has been about building up your empire as large, so you can research tech much faster, I mean penalize me for large populations by having a large food need, a need to keep my pops happy, planets have more upkeep cost, don't nerf my research because my pops can fuck faster than your pops!

I was very happy to find out most all of the game mechanics are stored as text format and went about searching through them to see which flags might be helpful to modify the game to how I like. I've also done things like reduce the cost of higher tiered buildings as it seemed the upkeep grew disproportionate to reward that was given, i.e. tier 1 through 4 of farming and mining buildings had the same percentage increase in energy cost usage as the food/minerals you get from this building, at tier 5 it slightly drops so it's more useful, I get they were probably going in a direction that says "hey we made it more compact so now you can build more power plants" but it didn't feel like I was really getting much of a reward for what ultimately should be significantly better considering the cost in research. But whatever, the great thing about games like these is you can effectively change the mechanics to play how you want to play, and it's not a cheat code since everyone gets the same perks, if you fall behind on a rapidly expanding empire they will out tech you as well, and IIRC the AI typically doesn't get penalties like you, I know I've seen them with way more planets than they should have the ability to manage without HUGE penalties yet they're acting like there were no such penalties.

Back