Paper Launch for AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Ya, his is throttling at stock, he lives down in Texas, so might have something to do with it. I told him he just needs to delid it because the 4770k's had problems with throttling, and reseating it made it better.

Ya, his is throttling at stock, he lives down in Texas, so might have something to do with it. I told him he just needs to delid it because the 4770k's had problems with throttling, and reseating it made it better.

I have a 4770K and I've never had this problem. I had it on the test bench for some time until the 4790K's came out and got one of those. I've overclocked it and I was not kind to it on the test bench. I live in Texas too. If he's seeing throttling at stock speeds then something's wrong with his cooling.

I have a 4770K and I've never had this problem. I had it on the test bench for some time until the 4790K's came out and got one of those. I've overclocked it and I was not kind to it on the test bench. I live in Texas too. If he's seeing throttling at stock speeds then something's wrong with his cooling.

No clue man, I think he's just using whatever HSF came with it. Maybe he applied the paste poorly.

No clue man, I think he's just using whatever HSF came with it. Maybe he applied the paste poorly.

The stock heat sink and fan are pretty much garbage. They are barely adequate for stock use. In my experience, they ramp up fan speeds way too often and are very loud when the system is under load.

I have a 4790K that all of a sudden spiked in temps. Turns out that the (stock) heatsink had pretty much disconnected from the CPU. Now I have an EK block on it and temps are much better.

I bet 8 weeks from now its still going to be hard as shit to find one...Just guessing.

It's when the Radeon VII launched, it was out of stock for the first month all the time, then by the second month you could snag one if you just tried a bit. After the first couple of months, everyone that wanted one bought it and there were plenty in stock. Same will happen here. Thank God AMD is not behaving like NVIDIA to always limit the supply to keep prices high and products in demand.

Microcenter for the win.

Got mine with the Asus x570 pro workstation motherboard for 50 dollar discount since I was going to go for pci4 anyway.

sometimes ...brick and morter inconveniences work in your favor.

Last edited:
Last night, the Microcenter in Dallas off i75 had a Ryzen 9 3900X in stock.

I've always wished I had a microcenter within an hour or maybe even 2 hours of my location. Luckily nowinstock.net paid off for me.

If you want a 3900X and have Microcenter nearby should check their web site daily in the morning. That's how I got mine.

Microcenter Tustin had 10 in stock on Mon morning. I was stuck at work and they sold out by closing. Today they had another 10 in stock. I didn't wait this time. I just got home with a 3900x and a Strix E board. I tried to get them to matchh Amazon on a Formula board, Amazon has it for 650. The sales guy looked at me like NO WAY, lol.

Microcenter Tustin had 10 in stock on Mon morning. I was stuck at work and they sold out by closing. Today they had another 10 in stock. I didn't wait this time. I just got home with a 3900x and a Strix E board. I tried to get them to matchh Amazon on a Formula board, Amazon has it for 650. The sales guy looked at me like NO WAY, lol.

It seems like AMD pumping out more 3900X. I was one of the lucky one picked up one on Monday. I couldn't wait and bought a 3800X over the past weekend. Then I saw 3900x back in stock on their website around 9am. I got there around 10:30 am, and there were only 6~7 left in the display case and saw 3 reserved. I had to go back to the store to return the 3800X. I was a bit sad to let it go since it could do all core 4.4ghz @ 1.34V.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
tenor.gif

I managed to snag a 3900X from BestBuy.com. I was cheap on shipping, so I might have to wait for 7 to 9 days on it. Oh well...

It seems like AMD pumping out more 3900X. I was one of the lucky one picked up one on Monday. I couldn't wait and bought a 3800X over the past weekend. Then I saw 3900x back in stock on their website around 9am. I got there around 10:30 am, and there were only 6~7 left in the display case and saw 3 reserved. I had to go back to the store to return the 3800X. I was a bit sad to let it go since it could do all core 4.4ghz @ 1.34V.

Have you tested the new 3900x yet? I bet it will achieve similar clocks. I checked MC just now and after I got my 3900x, they still had 10+ in stock. Right now they are down to 4. These chips are moving fast. I dunno about this paper launch deal...

Looks like I can get one from Best Buy and have it ready on the 15th to my closest store but I have to go to the store, and I hate that store.. Stock is moving fast because it's a processor that is basically faster than anything Intel consumer grade for a little less. and the premium over the 37/3800x isn't really that much. Decisions, decisions

Looks like I can get one from Best Buy and have it ready on the 15th to my closest store but I have to go to the store, and I hate that store.. Stock is moving fast because it's a processor that is basically faster than anything Intel consumer grade for a little less. and the premium over the 37/3800x isn't really that much. Decisions, decisions

It's actually faster than the 9920X, so f*ck Intel. As much as I want to stay neutral, I recognize the fact that Intel has been milking us for money like dairy farmers milk cows. Sad thing is that Intel still enjoys that government cheese because of those lucrative contracts. The AMD Ryzen 3900X bridges nicely that space between mainstream and HEDT at the high end. Nicely done AMD!

If you wait, might as well wait for the 16 core?

For $750 I'd go the Threadripper route. I draw the line at $500 for a mainstream chip. And honestly, the 12 core will be more than enough.

That being said, I was pumped, to say the least when I've found out that Zen 3 will have 4-way SMT. It's about time that we four threads per core in consumer chips. That means that the Zen 3 cores will be wider than Zen 2 and Zen. Sweet, so that 3900X won't stay with me but maybe till next summer. Can't wait for Zen 3!

No, the extra 4 cores will pay for the board. I don't believe buying the top of the stack gets you great value over 3 years, but the next lower tier, in my experience, seems to. 16 cores would be awesome, but Zen 3...should bring even more value and hopefully Hz

Have you tested the new 3900x yet? I bet it will achieve similar clocks. I checked MC just now and after I got my 3900x, they still had 10+ in stock. Right now they are down to 4. These chips are moving fast. I dunno about this paper launch deal...
Well, 3900X is not like 3800X. Tried 4.4ghz @1.37 @1.38 @1.40. All BSOD. I'm kinda sad, but I wasn't going to do any permanent ocing in the first place.

And it's gone. I hope AMD makes money off these things. If they can keep reinvestin in research it's a win for all of us.

And it's gone. I hope AMD makes money off these things. If they can keep reinvestin in research it's a win for all of us.

Oh you bet they are. Lisa has already said they are not in a business to make less money now. I think its 40% margin on anything they sell pretty much from what she stated.

Oh you bet they are. Lisa has already said they are not in a business to make less money now. I think its 40% margin on anything they sell pretty much from what she stated.

That is a reasonable margin. At least it's not 100% or more like Intel. Good for AMD, at least they bring value, performance, and competition to the market.

That is a reasonable margin. At least it's not 100% or more like Intel. Good for AMD, at least they bring value, performance, and competition to the market.

40% was the minimum figure. I honestly don't think intel is making 100% margin on consumer stuff. May be on the server stuff but that is usually custom deals. I wouldn't be surprised if amd is pulling over 50% with these chips. After all they are tiny as hell slapped together.

Don't bet on it. None of the 3900X's shipped to reviewers could do 4.4GHz on all cores as far as I know. If any can, it isn't the norm. Mine certainly doesn't.

That's kind of my thought as well. However, there is a massive price difference and the 16 core part, as far as I know won't bring anything to the table as far as gamers are concerned. Sure, you get a theoretical 100MHz boost clock improvement, but that won't translate into something substantial in games.

AMD has no choice if it wants to survive.

Considering that, it's insulting how much Intel was gouging the world!

When you are the market leader, you set your prices. That's simply what happens when you have no real competition for more than a decade.

40% was the minimum figure. I honestly don't think intel is making 100% margin on consumer stuff. May be on the server stuff but that is usually custom deals. I wouldn't be surprised if amd is pulling over 50% with these chips. After all they are tiny as hell slapped together.

It will probably depend on the part. Higher end parts cost more to make, but generally have much bigger margins offsetting that. On the consumer side, 50% may be a bit generous even for Intel. On the workstation, HEDT and server side, Intel's been gouging for years. I'm sure that the costs to produce some of those CPU's are high relative to the consumer level CPU's, but I think they are way past 50% on several specific parts.

Dan_D what would you say that the manufacturing cost for a 9900K is? What about something like a 9960X? I doubt that they cost ~$250, respectively $800 to make. That would simply make no sense for silicon, especially at 14nm. I know there is R&D cost, but that is spread out over the entire product line and these aren't fresh leading edge architectures.

Don't bet on it. None of the 3900X's shipped to reviewers could do 4.4GHz on all cores as far as I know. If any can, it isn't the norm. Mine certainly doesn't.

I recall one that did. I will have to look it up later - but certainly right, it's not the norm. BUT I've been following this topic for a while on reddit, youtube, and various forums and there is an overclocking tool that can be used to clock individual CCXs/CCDs. An interesting trend has come out of this. Every 3900X overclocked this way has been noted to have a "golden" CCD and a "shit" CCD. The golden CCD clocks high. At least 4.4, sometimes 4.5 or even higher. The shit CCD struggles beyond 4.3, sometimes even struggling with 4.2. So the all core overclock is badly hampered by the shitty CCD. The gold star fastest single core is always on the "golden" CCD.

This makes a lot of sense from AMD's perspective. To get the high boost clock for single thread and lightly-threaded tasks to stay competitive with the 9900k as much as possible in gaming/light thread tasks, they needed a well-binned chiplet. Similarly to make the 105 watt power envelope with *12* cores, they needed at least one of the chiplets to be highly efficient at higher clocks. But if they used two golden sample binned chiplets, they probably wouldn't have enough chiplets to go around - hell, they seem to have supply problems as it is!

Silicon Lottery's stats appear to tacitly back this up as well. Before they pulled the 3800X, it was noted to OC higher than all other Zen 2 parts, including the 3900X, by a pretty decent margin (200MHz IIRC). This is because it has one well-binned chiplet, so its all core OC isn't hampered by the presence of a second shitty chiplet.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
Dan_D what would you say that the manufacturing cost for a 9900K is? What about something like a 9960X? I doubt that they cost ~$250, respectively $800 to make. That would simply make no sense for silicon, especially at 14nm. I know there is R&D cost, but that is spread out over the entire product line and these aren't fresh leading edge architectures.

The short answer is, no one outside of Intel knows. I'd wager most of the people working at Intel couldn't tell you either and that's by design. So, I'm just speculating here.

R&D aside, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Intel was making 50% on consumer chips. It makes less on the lower end processors as those traditionally have less mark up on them. But, I don't think its more than that even on the i9 9900K. Intel's 14nm process is extremely mature and Intel knows how to get the most out of each wafer. Their defect rate is actually reported to be quite low, so they have very few wasted dies. People I know in the semi-conductor industry have told me at various times (including people at Intel) have said that it has the lowest defect rate in the industry. Obviously, that wouldn't apply to their 10nm woes where they've probably produced a bunch of failed CPU's.

Interestingly enough, AMD might have provided us the biggest clue as to the cost of these CPU's by saying it wants to make 40% margin on them. This is probably a number that's been targeted because it either exceeds the industry average, or is very close to it. Intel has a ton of overhead being as big as it is. It's dies are monolothic, so its HEDT and server CPU offerings are probably much more expensive than you would think to produce. Yes, Intel like's profit, but I think their pricing structure and increases over the last few years are for a reason that isn't simple greed. AMD has an advantage right now by using chiplets, but they also have less cost control, because they don't make the parts themselves. So for Intel, R&D aside, I'd estimate their costs to be around 50% of retail price as a ballpark. That's probably not across the board. Super cheap CPU's that are loss leaders probably have much less margin and server CPU's have the most, but on average if I were to guess its about 50%. Now, with R&D, Intel's margins may look much leaner than that. Back in the 1990's and early 2000's, Intel reps used to tell us all the time about how the company spent nearly 50% of what it made on R&D.

Take that for what it's worth.

As much as I want to stay neutral, I recognize the fact that Intel has been milking us for money like dairy farmers milk cows.

After AMD went wild with the Athlon, Intel charging ~US$350 for their top-end consumer part seemed quite reasonable. Had their 10nm process been on target, we'd have seen eight-core Ice Lake CPUs before Ryzen hit, and again, quite likely at around US$350. That's the trend Intel set.

Obviously that didn't happen- and the 8700K and then 9900K were aberrations in Intel's product lineup, as they weren't planned for- but they're also pretty great CPUs in their own right. Just no way Intel is fitting 12+ cores into 115x, or going to bother to try, as they really don't need to in the consumer space.

The server space is a whole 'nuther story of course. Intel can ride on their platform a bit, but with 10nm shot to shit and 7nm not ready, they're simply going to have to concede marketshare.

Reactions: STEM
like this
Well, I was at Microcenter for a cable, ended up buying a water block. Anyway, the Dallas Microcenter is out of Ryzen 9 3900X's. Again.

Back