Paper Launch for AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Rather, if you order now then your place in the preorder queue will likely give you a CPU then.
It could be that they expect shipments before then, but they are all allocated to existing preorders.
Thanks. I used a poor choice of word!

These things sell out even when they show in stock... Meaning that I couldn't check out with one in the cart when I was about to pay it errored out. Screw it, at $649.99 the 2950X is a much better deal on a mature platform.

[Edit]********

I tried to buy one at NewEgg.com

Last edited:
I preordered from B&H on July 9th, thinking I wouldn't get an order in on time for the 5 mins newegg would have them available.

Still haven't recieved a damn word on it. To make things worse, I have a complete PC worth of equipment sitting here waiting to be built... that will be outside its return window real quick. Originally B&H said they would have them available the 12th. They then moved it to the 18th, and up... and up.. and up.

Probably should've just upgraded the 2600k to a 9900k.

Could someone clarify the 3 different packages of 3900x?

100-100000023MPK -- Prism Cooling
100-100000023BOX -- PIB?
100-000000023

wonder about different sku's

I preordered from B&H on July 9th, thinking I wouldn't get an order in on time for the 5 mins newegg would have them available.

Still haven't recieved a damn word on it. To make things worse, I have a complete PC worth of equipment sitting here waiting to be built... that will be outside its return window real quick. Originally B&H said they would have them available the 12th. They then moved it to the 18th, and up... and up.. and up.

I would cancel the B&H order, they are notoriously slow when it comes to pre-orders. Threadripper looks appealing right now, it's on a mature platform, and so is the 9900K. But when you put the $499 9900K vs. the $649 2950X, which one looks better?

Could someone clarify the 3 different packages of 3900x?

100-100000023MPK -- Prism Cooling
100-100000023BOX -- PIB?
100-000000023

wonder about different sku's

Let me take a stab at this:

100-100000023MPK -- Prism Cooling - includes fancy useless RGB cooler and a 3-year warranty
100-100000023BOX -- PIB? - no fancy cooler, still has a 3-year warranty
100-000000023 - tray processor without warranty

This is just a guess so take it with a grain of salt.

Let me take a stab at this:

100-100000023MPK -- Prism Cooling - includes fancy useless RGB cooler and a 3-year warranty
100-100000023BOX -- PIB? - no fancy cooler, still has a 3-year warranty
100-000000023 - tray processor without warranty

This is just a guess so take it with a grain of salt.
thanks.

3900x was all sold out a few minutes before I arrived at a local Microcenter on 7/7. I was able to snatch one at Amazon a day later, but I had to RMA my 3900X due to overheating. I opted for the exchange, but the seller didn't have any in stock.:(

So, no it's not a paper launch. It's just that AMD didn't correctly anticipate the popularity of 3900X

3900x was all sold out a few minutes before I arrived at a local Microcenter on 7/7. I was able to snatch one at Amazon a day later, but I had to RMA my 3900X due to overheating. I opted for the exchange, but the seller didn't have any in stock.:(

So, no it's not a paper launch. It's just that AMD didn't correctly anticipate the popularity of 3900X

I think they did. The shortage works in their favor, as it keeps people talking about them and their product in demand. I'm happy with my Threadripper rigs though.

I pre-ordered with them as well. About a week later, I got a notice from that nowinstock website that they were available at newegg and I was close enough to a computer to grab it. Then I canceled. I did get an autonotify from B&H the other day that the 3800x was in stock, so maybe soon?

b&h must be last on the distribution ladder, i orderd on the 7th and at or around 3pm, mine just shipped yesturday...

Just picked up one from Tustin Microcenter. Bunch of them are back in stock.

Last edited:
Newegg had some in today but they are sold out already. If you keep an eye on it with nowinstock I'm sure you can get one (I did) -- and the rest of the lineup looks to be pretty much fully in stock and easily available now.

Newegg had some in today but they are sold out already. If you keep an eye on it with nowinstock I'm sure you can get one (I did) -- and the rest of the lineup looks to be pretty much fully in stock and easily available now.

The "E-Peen" in me wants a 3900X now that I've seen the benchmarks around the web. But with $50 off with an MSI X570 Creation mobo combo, the 3800X suddenly makes more sense. Everyone says it kiks the 9900K's ass.

What do you guys think?

The "E-Peen" in me wants a 3900X now that I've seen the benchmarks around the web. But with $50 off with an MSI X570 Creation mobo combo, the 3800X suddenly makes more sense. Everyone says it kiks the 9900K's ass.

What do you guys think?
Well do you need it or want it? Only u can decide. I’d say go for it if your budget allows. E-peen regret is a heavy burden.

What do you guys think?

Actually 3800X makes no sense, 3700X more so. That is what i settled on too - i would have liked to get a second 3900X for my desktop too (first one i managed to grab via my contacts got to my server), but in the end i gave up, and for the price of R7 1700 refund due GCC bug (thanks EU consumer laws for 358 euros i got back after 2.5 years of use of R7 1700) plus some discount coupons i managed to grab a 3700X plus a Mugen 5 rev B, for a total expense of around 20 euros plus the refund.

Still wondering when will 3900X show up in larger quantities tho. Will it be before 3950X launches ?

Wow! So ... AMD won the IPC race?

Not for gaming ;).

But it's close enough, and for any heavy mixed workload, the 3900X is the better buy- unless you're absolutely trying to push games to the limits.

Wow! So ... AMD won the IPC race?

Generally, speaking the answer seems to be "yes." I conducted several tests showing this to be the case. I'm not saying that's definitive, but the tests used are ones that many sites use and are generally regarded as being fairly accurate in the industry. The tests also show that where AMD falls a little behind is on the gaming front. In some games I can tell you the difference is marginal at best. It's consistent, but barely more than a standard margin of error. One site tested some 36 games and found Intel was about 6% faster aggregate, but some specific examples in their tests went as high as 15% in favor of Intel. I'd also like to point out, that I disabled CPU cores on the 12 core to bring the total down to eight to match the Intel Core i9 9900K. That's hardly ideal for Ryzen. Therefore, a true eight core CPU like the 3700X or 3800X should get slightly better results.

I've tested one case which the gap in gaming performance was larger than normal, and that was in Destiny 2. You can see around a 20% advantage favoring Intel in those tests. That's one where you can't look at the average numbers, you have to look at the minimums, maximums and the frametimes. At present, AMD offers a sub-par experience in Destiny 2. However, the UEFI / AGESA code fix for Destiny hasn't been tested. Only the chipset work around has. Of which there are two revisions and the second is better.

Last edited:
Actually 3800X makes no sense, 3700X more so. That is what i settled on too - i would have liked to get a second 3900X for my desktop too (first one i managed to grab via my contacts got to my server), but in the end i gave up, and for the price of R7 1700 refund due GCC bug (thanks EU consumer laws for 358 euros i got back after 2.5 years of use of R7 1700) plus some discount coupons i managed to grab a 3700X plus a Mugen 5 rev B, for a total expense of around 20 euros plus the refund.

Still wondering when will 3900X show up in larger quantities tho. Will it be before 3950X launches ?

If people think 3900x availability is bad, just wait for how atrocious 3950x is going to be.

newegg's "in stock" nonsense is literally getting botted to death instantly. Either that or they literally only get 5 in at a time.

Tustin Microcenter has been showing out of stock for days. Some local microcenters (not available online) have shown stock but they're not in driving distance :) . Someone mentioned they had some in stock yesterday, but I checked online yesterday and today and still says out of stock. If it's actually in stock and the website is wrong, i can run over there now.

I'm just gonna keep polling the websites i guess.

newegg's "in stock" nonsense is literally getting botted to death instantly. Either that or they literally only get 5 in at a time.

Tustin Microcenter has been showing out of stock for days. Some local microcenters (not available online) have shown stock but they're not in driving distance :) . Someone mentioned they had some in stock yesterday, but I checked online yesterday and today and still says out of stock. If it's actually in stock and the website is wrong, i can run over there now.

I'm just gonna keep polling the websites i guess.

Newegg is listed as in stock for 3900X right now

Edit: Nevermind, gone, lol

Newegg is listed as in stock for 3900X right now

Edit: Nevermind, gone, lol

yea, i was refreshing the newegg page every couple minutes after the hour and after the half hour every hour i'm at work or home and awake the past couple days. I've been on the page basically the moment they change the status to in-stock, but by the time i even add to cart, it's already out of stock and the site automatically removes it from my cart. Sometimes even before nowinstock shows it as being in stock. And of course, nowinstock will continue to say instock so long as the add to cart button shows up but that add to cart button will be there even when they're sold out. You wont know until you click it and it auto-removes from your cart.

Seems like my best chance is microcenter...

Chicago Central Microcenter just got a new batch in. The site says they have 10+

This Microcenter says 2 in stock.

87 Brentwood Promenade Ct.
Brentwood, MO 63144

I'd also like to point out, that I disabled CPU cores on the 12 core to bring the total down to eight to match the Intel Core i9 9900K. That's hardly ideal for Ryzen. Therefore, a true eight core CPU like the 3700X or 3800X should get slightly better results.

Thank you for the elaborate explanation and info. As far as your artificial "8 core" Ryzen 3000 CPU, I'd also like to point out that you had twice the L3 cache per CCX even if two cores were disabled on each. So you had a 3700X/3800X with 64MB of L3 cache. I would wager that in that situation you would actually get better performance than from an 8 core chip with a single chiplet and 32MB L3 cache.

If people think 3900x availability is bad, just wait for how atrocious 3950x is going to be.

The performance difference between the 3700X/3800X and 3900X is much greater than between the 3900X and 3950X. Combine that with the fact that today most people aren't really eager to spend more than $500 on a desktop CPU, and you won't see customers lining up to spend $750 on a mainstream desktop CPU. In that case, you'll be better off buying a 2950X today and holding on to it for a few years. You could stretch X399 for about a decade if you really wanted to.

Thank you for the elaborate explanation and info. As far as your artificial "8 core" Ryzen 3000 CPU, I'd also like to point out that you had twice the L3 cache per CCX even if two cores were disabled on each. So you had a 3700X/3800X with 64MB of L3 cache. I would wager that in that situation you would actually get better performance than from an 8 core chip with a single chiplet and 32MB L3 cache.

Possibly, but you still have the CCD to CCD latency issues that wouldn't be present on a 3700X/3800X. I'll find out very soon as I'm actually going to be running the 3700X and 3600X's through the same testing.

The performance difference between the 3700X/3800X and 3900X is much greater than between the 3900X and 3950X. Combine that with the fact that today most people aren't really eager to spend more than $500 on a desktop CPU, and you won't see customers lining up to spend $750 on a mainstream desktop CPU. In that case, you'll be better off buying a 2950X today and holding on to it for a few years. You could stretch X399 for about a decade if you really wanted to.

Agreed. I think availability will be low, but it won't be the same as what we are seeing with the 12-core parts right now.

Agreed. I think availability will be low, but it won't be the same as what we are seeing with the 12-core parts right now.

After I saw the EPYC Rome launch presentation today, I am convinced of two facts:
  1. There is a huge demand for Rome and AMD has already shipped CPU to their biggest customers.
  2. Because AMD needs to make money longterm, the enterprise market is their best bet. I believe that the best 7nm dies are going to Rome right now. That might be the real reason why AMD has delayed the 3950X until September. If they'd released it at the same time with the 3950X, it would have sold for $750 like crazy just for the novelty factor, and because you can run a 16 core CPU on a $200 motherboard and have the latest tech. The last part about the 3950X is pure speculation. I'm convinced that right now AMD is selling every EPYC Rome CPU that they can make and then some.

After I saw the EPYC Rome launch presentation today, I am convinced of two facts:
  1. There is a huge demand for Rome and AMD has already shipped CPU to their biggest customers.
  2. Because AMD needs to make money longterm, the enterprise market is their best bet. I believe that the best 7nm dies are going to Rome right now. That might be the real reason why AMD has delayed the 3950X until September. If they'd released it at the same time with the 3950X, it would have sold for $750 like crazy just for the novelty factor, and because you can run a 16 core CPU on a $200 motherboard and have the latest tech. The last part about the 3950X is pure speculation. I'm convinced that right now AMD is selling every EPYC Rome CPU that they can make and then some.
Yeah, I mean it seems like AMD is saving up the good/better dies for 3950X and that is why it is coming out later -- so they can build up some stock. Of course EPYC would get first pick on the most suitable dies -- but EPYC may very well be targeting different ones. 3950X is going to be targeting the highest clock speeds we have seen so far for Zen 2 -- but for Epyc you want mid level clock speeds but super low leakage for the best performance per watt. Slightly higher leakage parts do typically clock a bit better but at the expense of quite a bit more power. So, there isn't simply a "best" die -- there are dies better suited for one product and dies better suited for other products -- the question is how many of each type the fab process is making, and what the demands are for those different products. I think the 3950X will see pretty strong demand, even despite it's price, and had I not already bought a 3900X I would be in line to get a 3950X on launch day.

Yeah, I mean it seems like AMD is saving up the good/better dies for 3950X and that is why it is coming out later -- so they can build up some stock. Of course EPYC would get first pick on the most suitable dies -- but EPYC may very well be targeting different ones. 3950X is going to be targeting the highest clock speeds we have seen so far for Zen 2 -- but for Epyc you want mid level clock speeds but super low leakage for the best performance per watt. Slightly higher leakage parts do typically clock a bit better but at the expense of quite a bit more power. So, there isn't simply a "best" die -- there are dies better suited for one product and dies better suited for other products -- the question is how many of each type the fab process is making, and what the demands are for those different products. I think the 3950X will see pretty strong demand, even despite it's price, and had I not already bought a 3900X I would be in line to get a 3950X on launch day.

They are more than likely going to Rome rather than being hoarded for the 3950X.

Reactions: STEM
like this
Yeah, of course, that's going to be their main priority.

Leave it to AMD to screw up this launch. Why announce a cpu that is just about impossible to purchase, it's almost vaporware. I believe this is on purpose to generate the frenzy and media discussion or they are having manufacturing problems. LOL! Now would be time to offer a huge rebate on the chip since it's not available anyway. Intel has sold so many I9900K's off this buyer frustration

Back