Paper Launch for AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

In my part of EU, everything except 3600 and 3600X was a paper launch. ASUS and ASRock X570 boards also nowhere to be seen.

Microcenter has yet to list them, Amazon has yet to list them, Newegg has only listed SOLD OUT as they have never gotten them in

Microcenter has yet to list them, Amazon has yet to list them, Newegg has only listed SOLD OUT as they have never gotten them in

You sure about that? I could of sworn I saw them up for a little bit on NewEgg yesterday morning. I'm waiting for the 3950X, almost bought a 3700X to play around with and sell when the 3950x comes out, but I was able to fight off the upgrade itch.

I'll have everything I need for my build including an ASUS x570 board, by today or tomorrow EXCEPT for the CPU (3900x) which I haven't been able to find anywhere.

You sure about that? I could of sworn I saw them up for a little bit on NewEgg yesterday morning. I'm waiting for the 3950X, almost bought a 3700X to play around with and sell when the 3950x comes out, but I was able to fight off the upgrade itch.
this!!

Got one from newegg right out of the gate.came back were sold out.

Selling out everywhere in 10 minutes seems like a paper launch to me, just like the 2080ti was.

I am referring to the 3900X and it looks like the 3800X for others.

The 3700X, 3600X, and 3500X are all available wherever you look.

I managed to get a part number from one of my distributors for the 3900x but they are being told that it may be a month before they are actually in channel.

I wouldn't call it paper, but I'm not sure how its not. I was lucky af to find this at microcenter. I think where I live in the Atlanta GA USA region, it might be one of the high yield markets for Microcenter hence why we had the chips down here. Maybe the store got preference from AMD or MC headquarters.

The problem with Europe is that AMD is an American company so obviously it would seem that America gets the first run, then europe will get the second is what I would suspect.

The main issue is that Microcenter wants you to go to thier brick and mortar stores, which I understand fully given the age of amazon and online retail. But you cant order the stuff yet from thier site and they are a major pc parts power player in the states.

20190707_105837.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it paper, but I'm not sure how its not. I was lucky af to find this at microcenter. I think where I live in the Atlanta GA USA region, it might be one of the high yield markets for Microcenter hence why we had the chips down here. Maybe the store got preference from AMD or MC headquarters.

The problem with Europe is that AMD is an American company so obviously it would seem that America gets the first run, then europe will get the second is what I would suspect.

The main issue is that Microcenter wants you to go to thier brick and mortar stores, which I understand fully given the age of amazon and online retail. But you cant order the stuff yet from thier site and they are a major pc parts power player in the states.

View attachment 172688

I would think the Microcenter located in Paterson, NJ is one of their highest traffic stores in all of their chain.

Still hoping they get some today or tomorrow.

I agree with the post title, it's basically a paper launch. No stock to be found anywhere at this time, the 3900x 3800x and 3700x are all sold out at Newegg, Amazon never seemed to have any from the start.

Selling out on launch does does not equal a paper launch. If that was the case damn near every single enthusiast grade GPU ever released would be called a paper launch because they sell out quickly. A paper launch requires an incredibly limited availability. None of us know how many they had and there have been no rumors or reports of limited stock. For the moment, it simply looks like it was a very popular product that sold out right away.

Selling out on launch does does not equal a paper launch. If that was the case damn near every single enthusiast grade GPU ever released would be called a paper launch because they sell out quickly. A paper launch requires an incredibly limited availability. None of us know how many they had and there have been no rumors or reports of limited stock. For the moment, it simply looks like it was a very popular product that sold out right away.

If selling out within a minute or two at newegg and with the biggest retailer in the world (Amazon) not even having the product listed doesn't equate to "incredibly limited availability" I don't know what does.

Not a paper launch, you just weren't fast enough. They sold out awfully fast.

Dude, you can't even search for the 3900X on Amazon. The only way I could find it was direct links from tech sites. To my knowledge it was never in stock. I watched Newegg on Sunday morning and same thing, it was never available. That is pretty much the definition of a paper launch. "They were available, you just didn't grab it in the .05 seconds it was in stock" doesn't count, sorry.

If selling out within a minute or two at newegg and with the biggest retailer in the world (Amazon) not even having the product listed doesn't equate to "incredibly limited availability" I don't know what does.

It didn't sell out within a minute or two. Also, Amazon has always had spotty availability for computer hardware.

Why are you splitting hairs? This isn't me slamming AMD; I want a 3900X, I can wait a few days or whatever longer. I am just saying, it was clearly not a 7/7 launch because there was essentially no availability in any meaningful quantity. Like I said, go to Amazon and search for "ryzen 9 3900x". It doesn't even come up as a result.

Why are you splitting hairs? This isn't me slamming AMD; I want a 3900X, I can wait a few days or whatever longer. I am just saying, it was clearly not a 7/7 launch because there was essentially no availability in any meaningful quantity. Like I said, go to Amazon and search for "ryzen 9 3900x". It doesn't even come up as a result.

Because Amazon's dogshit search that they haven't updated or improved since the early 2000s indicates anything. I'm not "splitting hairs", I'm giving my opinion on a topic. This a public forum, not everyone is going to blindly agree with you.

It didn't sell out within a minute or two. Also, Amazon has always had spotty availability for computer hardware.

Sure it did. And I've been computer shopping for many years. Amazon always has stock when it's not a paper launch.

Because Amazon's dogshit search that they haven't updated or improved since the early 2000s indicates anything. I'm not "splitting hairs", I'm giving my opinion on a topic. This a public forum, not everyone is going to blindly agree with you.

This isn't arguing about who likes what kind of food; something that is clearly subjective. I am telling you, flat out, that the 3900X didn't show up anywhere, in any meaningful quantity on any major retailer site. I am happy for people to jump in and tell me when/where they ordered one but from what I saw, having woken up early on Sunday and having stayed up late Saturday into the morning to see if they would show up, I didn't see any for sale, ever.

Sure it did. And I've been computer shopping for many years. Amazon always has stock when it's not a paper launch.

It wasn't up on Egg for a super long time, but I saw it in stock for probably around 10-20ish minutes. Which seems to speak more to "popular product" than "paper launch". Reminds me more of popular GPU launches. I never count on Amazon having computer hardware on launch. Either it sells out instantly (because of how many people shop there) or they don't get launch day stock for whatever reason.

This isn't arguing about who likes what kind of food; something that is clearly subjective. I am telling you, flat out, that the 3900X didn't show up anywhere, in any meaningful quantity on any major retailer site. I am happy for people to jump in and tell me when/where they ordered one but from what I saw, having woken up early on Sunday and having stayed up late Saturday into the morning to see if they would show up, I didn't see any for sale, ever.

So you know exactly how many AMD shipped? All I'm saying is I don't think it, currently, counts as a paper launch until we have more information to go on. Stuff selling out quickly does not automatically equal paper launch. I don't remember exactly what time Egg put it up, but I know it went live later than the cheaper models. I almost want to say it was like 3-4am (CST), but I don't remember.

For the months that the product has been supposed to have been readily available at launch on 7/7, and all the yield hyping that was made, this is a TURD of a launch for them. The Original Ryzen and the Zen+ launch had no trouble with stock, availability, etc.....

AMD.com had them for sale hours after reviews went out. It will be slower to process and ship than Amazon, but they were available.

Not a paper launch... if every second poster on [H] is talking about grabbing their 3900s and 3700s for weeks on end. It's not hard to believe they got snapped up lickety split. The demand on the first shipments is high... never mind all the employees snapping their own up as well. lol

Give it a week or two and the market will be flooded.

It wasn't up on Egg for a super long time, but I saw it in stock for probably around 10-20ish minutes. Which seems to speak more to "popular product" than "paper launch". Reminds me more of popular GPU launches. I never count on Amazon having computer hardware on launch. Either it sells out instantly (because of how many people shop there) or they don't get launch day stock for whatever reason.

So you know exactly how many AMD shipped? All I'm saying is I don't think it, currently, counts as a paper launch until we have more information to go on. Stuff selling out quickly does not automatically equal paper launch. I don't remember exactly what time Egg put it up, but I know it went live later than the cheaper models. I almost want to say it was like 3-4am (CST), but I don't remember.

We will have to agree to disagree... This seems to qualify as a paper launch even by your own standards. B&H still has them listed as "pre-order" PCPartsticker doesn't have any sources and the two local Fry's electronics here haven't even received any product at all as of yet. Some Microcenters were lucky enough to get a handful. You have a very interesting definition of what "incredibly limited availability" means. I get the very distinct impression what you mean by that changes depending on how you feel about the product.

For the months that the product has been supposed to have been readily available at launch on 7/7, and all the yield hyping that was made, this is a TURD of a launch for them. The Original Ryzen and the Zen+ launch had no trouble with stock, availability, etc.....

Or it was a very good launch for them. Retailers only have so much stock and everyone I know wants an 8 core+ 3000 series.

Reactions: ChadD
like this

Demand wasn't anywhere near the same.

We will have to agree to disagree... This seems to qualify as a paper launch even by your own standards. B&H still has them listed as "pre-order" PCPartsticker doesn't have any sources and the two local Fry's electronics here haven't even received any product at all as of yet. Some Microcenters were lucky enough to get a handful. You have a very interesting definition of what "incredibly limited availability" means. I get the very distinct impression what you mean by that changes depending on how you feel about the product.

The local parts place by me... lists them as preorder on their website... cause they are selling them to physical in person customers first. They will take your online order and fill it later this week.

I thought a "paper launch" was when they go "hey, we've released this whatever" and there isn't any actually available. if there is product available then its an actual launch, just limited stock in this case.

My local Microcenter has Piles of 3700X, 3600, and 3600X in stock

NO 3800X or 3900X have come in.

So, Paper launch for the top models, and everything else is available

I had no issue with the 1800X when it was released, and the 2700X for my sons machine was easily picked up launched day.

They had months of hyping these, and were always saying yields were better than expected, and kept the product back for 2+ months until 7/7.

They have shortages because first, not everyone is dropping $500 for a 12/24 cpu who already has a 1800x or 2700x, or tearing out their current build for
a new MB and chip

The way we always call out other vendors when their product is extremely scarce, AMD should be treated no differently.

The same if you want a 5700, there are piles of those available, not a single 5700XT though......

I am referring to the Microcenter located in Paterson, NJ

Even AMD does not have them

The AMD product you are interested in purchasing is currently out of stock. Please visit AMD.com for other available products. More products are on the way; please check back soon.

They have a very limited supply, AMD Fail here

Congrats to the handful who were able to scoop one up, but everyone else is Helixed!

Back