Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen ~ Challenging Epic Planar High Fantasy MMORPG

I enjoyed last nights stream. Obviously a lot of balancing left because the Shaman heals are way OP right now, 2 ticks and he was back to full health. I don't see how a HoT that heals that good initially is balanced with say a 1 time heal from a Cleric that may be a CH but doesn't get the reoccurring ticks.

I do wish Pantheon would drop the acclimation system and just go with regular resist. I also wish they would just find a better balance between the perception system and normal questing, and find some type of middle ground and combine the two. It seems like these two items are not really going to make or break the game and the time spent developing them should be better spent on crafting and such.

This game looks worse than WoW back in 2007 and it's not even out yet.
Curious what "looks worse" to you and your friend tunatime? Just so you know the zone they are showing here is gray box/unfinished.

Here's a link for nearly finished work.

Graphics mean nothing in an mmo. It's about the gameplay and social dynamics which make these things succeed or fail. Personally I'm looking for a non button mashing mmo that is more 'hard core' compared to what's out there. WoW was a snooze fest for me and bored me to tears. Pantheon I'm keeping an eye on but unsure atm.

Everything is part of a spectrum. Fast paced combat can often degenerate into quick clicking circle-strafe type gameplay, which feels active but actually gives players less opportunity to plan for different strategies and respond. A slower pace - including one with a GCD; global cooldown that's longer - means more potential for tactical play, complexity, and player response. For insatance, being able to see a monster telegraph their spell, identify it and where it will land, then decide which of your tools to use to counter that (do you move out of the way? Do you use one of your interrupts knowing they're a limited resource? Do you use some other mechanic), can lead to more innovative cooperative gameplay dynamics vs simply having someone else mash buttons in sequence.

Curious what "looks worse" to you and your friend tunatime? Just so you know the zone they are showing here is gray box/unfinished.

Here's a link for nearly finished work.

Look at the character models. They look pretty bad.
I hate smeared, low quality textures.

There has been this push last 5 or so years for pixelated and 2005 graphics, which I absolutely hate. I won't support lazy graphical design.
And people should start boycotting games like this. I get it, MMOs are in a rough position. It's hard to break through and games are made with worse graphics to appeal to more customers.
I mean look at it, WoW is the only sub MMORPG that has survived (another game that needs a graphical upgrade). But it's almost 2021. Upgrade the visuals or GTFO. I ain't playing a game that looks like it's made 10 years ago. I did that 10 years ago.

Last edited:
I'm hoping this game releases at least to Beta this year.. but I don't know what to expect. Need a good mmo I can just grind out and actually make slow steady progress on.

Sure could have used a good MMO the past year. The pandemic would have been a perfect time to release a good MMO.

Real drought with quality MMOs. It says something when WoW is still going, despite people's cycle being renew membership on expansion release->play 2 weeks->burn out/bored and leave->do again. What's the "best" MMOs out right now anyway? WoW and RuneScape? LOL

I'm surprised at how slow the progress is on this game. It's turning into the Star Citizen of the fantasy genre.

It's not even in Alpha and already looking dated.

I'm surprised at how slow the progress is on this game. It's turning into the Star Citizen of the fantasy genre.

It's not even in Alpha and already looking dated.

I don't disagree. I don't mind the slightly dated graphics as long as the gameplay is there. But ugh the progress seems rather slow.

Yes, I remember when Pantheon started, Brad was saying they were going to use the Unity engine because how fast the development is within the engine.

Here we are like 8 years later and it's still alpha.

Quite honestly the last few videos that I've seen have turned me off to the game. It's looking more like Neverwinter MMO as time goes on which is not a good thing.

If they can release it with some of the Everquest vibe I'll buy it, but it seems that is evaporating.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/classes/

I like the sound of their classes, but I won't look into the game much further until release. The MMOs always promise so much but then flop due to gameplay and content and support.

Also, pre-alpha, yet open for gameplay? Devs are so weird these days. In my mind pre-alpha is still designing the UI and concepts, with non functional gameplay. Alpha would be bare bones barely functional gameplay with majority of features still under development and not available for active use, and placeholder plain graphics, etc. Weird naming schemes nowdays.

And I guess this is this company's first game? So not much of a record to judge their abilities on. Huh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I havent paid much attention to this but.... so basically this is a new EverQuest? Every one of the classes are a match to an EQ class and their functionality/class spells mirror what those classes had in EQ(except they missed Bard, Necromancer and some of the later released classes like Berserker and Beastlord). I get that these are basic MMO classes, but having played EQ for far longer than i should have, looking at the spell list of Summoner, it is almost exactly the spells of the Mage in EQ. I mean, i loved Everquest back in the day, so a new version of it with better graphics would probably make my list of "things to buy when i want something new to play and can find it on a discount". Then i look at the graphics and gameplay of this and i think..... i should just fire up an EQ in an emulator instead. The only negative to EQ is that trying to do anything solo was near impossible.

Looks like Spraggon Den looks too dark though or parts look dark some dont. End Boss wipes group not really fair so hardcore no point. Unless they are underdeveloped. The problem with Destiny Raid stuff I never played it because I could get into a group no lfg no nothing.

Last edited:
Yea I was curious to see what it would take to get into being able to play now. I think you need $1000 pledge, since I think this is still pre-alpha. Alpha is a $250 pledge. Beta is $100. Loved EQ, and still miss my old monk (and Rogue). That is Star Citizen levels of nope for me, though. Even Star Citizen lets you play now for $45 at whatever they are calling their current development level.

This game is turning into the fantasy version of Star Citizen.

if this game ever actually f*cking comes out, i hope we all get to play together.

if this game ever actually f*cking comes out, i hope we all get to play together.
I started playing EQ1 a couple months after it came out (Jul '99), and played it like a second job for... way too many years (pretty much until WoW came out in Nov 04). We were the no. 2-3 guild on the server, eventually taking over to no. 1. (No instancing, first come, first kill, everyone else waits a day / days / week).

I was a beta tester / early player for Vanguard too, and held my breath for EQ"Next".

I don't know that I have that kind of time to put into a game like this again. That said, I'll still get it, because even though I know I'll never get that nostalgia back (I remember seeing Vox for the first time, or downing Naggy and getting a CoF) I always hope that the 'next thing' will re-kindle that. :) I'm a sucker, I know.

I started playing EQ1 a couple months after it came out (Jul '99), and played it like a second job for... way too many years (pretty much until WoW came out in Nov 04). We were the no. 2-3 guild on the server, eventually taking over to no. 1. (No instancing, first come, first kill, everyone else waits a day / days / week).

I was a beta tester / early player for Vanguard too, and held my breath for EQ"Next".

I don't know that I have that kind of time to put into a game like this again. That said, I'll still get it, because even though I know I'll never get that nostalgia back (I remember seeing Vox for the first time, or downing Naggy and getting a CoF) I always hope that the 'next thing' will re-kindle that. :) I'm a sucker, I know.
Same here, close to it. Started in 2000, Innoruuk server. Played for years. Came back, played EqEmu for another couple of years. Nothing ever quite scratched the itch the way EQ did, despite trying it all.

Screenshot_20220325-085806_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Check out the Mountain dungeon towards end of video have to climb to get there.

I thought it funny when they are showing art team basic weapon "items" that looked like they took it from a free asset store from 15 years ago. Like what show us that lol.

Good to see it coming along. It would be nice to see an ambitious project like this actually get to a full release. 8 years on it still looks pretty basic, though. At least they're not extorting money from customers like Star Citizen, just from investors.

I do think Pantheon will release before SC. But lately I've been concentrating on Monsters & Memories. Just seems more aligned to my beliefs about these kind of games. PROTF is going really mainstream on their systems.

Back