Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen ~ Challenging Epic Planar High Fantasy MMORPG

They basically had to update the graphics otherwise people would write off the game for that alone. Really hope they would have some cool spells effects like they did in either EQ 2 or Dark Age of Camelot.

If they took another 2+ years I wouldn't care really just hope the game is successful.
The game was scheduled to hit Alpha the end of 2018 but that's obviously not going to happen. I can absolutely see it still being 2 more years until launch.

One of the problems with the development timeline for the game right now is they don't have nearly enough artist and world-builders. They only have a partial list of zones done on the first continent, and even then, have sort-of started over. Everything they have done up until now is going to have a second pass. Faerthale is going to become their new template zone that all other zones will be based on (design/feature wise), which means a lot of work already done will need to be changed. Then they need to complete the rest of the first continent, then build an entire second continent.

I think figuring out how to implement the perception system and finishing building the world and art are the last two major hurdles for them.

They basically had to update the graphics otherwise people would write off the game for that alone. Really hope they would have some cool spells effects like they did in either EQ 2 or Dark Age of Camelot.

If they took another 2+ years I wouldn't care really just hope the game is successful.
I know I'm weird but I still think the original EQ Cleric shield and healing effects were my favorite/the best.

I played a Dirge in EQ2, those effects were pretty lame...

My only concern about the game is where is playbase going to be even Black Desert Online not really a fair comparison is doing really well on Steam.
If it doesn't find the playerbase right away the game could just be vaporware even if it's good. These NPCs are kinda all the same they are fighting too not much variety I mean you had biggest variation in DAOC which was subtle between the realms but it worked.

My only concern about the game is where is playbase going to be even Black Desert Online not really a fair comparison is doing really well on Steam.
If it doesn't find the playerbase right away the game could just be vaporware even if it's good. These NPCs are kinda all the same they are fighting too not much variety I mean you had biggest variation in DAOC which was subtle between the realms but it worked.

I don't think the NPCs is going to be the issue, I'm not sure the current generation of gamers is going to go for the old slow paced, CC EQ style of combat...

I've probably tried 10 x to get into Black Desert online.

Can't do it...

I don't think anyone has seen the new Animations they talked about in the last few months but a rumored stream in April. This Youtuber is really excited about the game I don't think there is anyone more excited than this guy:wideyed:

EQ is still my favorite fantasy MMORPG.
Occasionally I hop on PEQ to relive Nagafen raids and other stuff. It isn't that same but still fun. Nothing has come close to some of my memories of hunting in Blackburrow, or trying to break Fear.

EQ is still my favorite fantasy MMORPG.
Occasionally I hop on PEQ to relive Nagafen raids and other stuff. It isn't that same but still fun. Nothing has come close to some of my memories of hunting in Blackburrow, or trying to break Fear.

Worst raid of my EQ career was a pickup PoF run, turned into a 4 hour recovery run, I don't remember how many times/people I had to rez with my ghetto Pally rez lol.

edit stupid phone.

Last edited:
Worst raid of my EQ carrier was a pickup PoF run, turned into a 4 hour recovery run, I don't remember how many times/people I had to rez with my ghetto Pally rez lol.
I once died so much that I could not get back into PoF because I went all of the way down to level 45. A group of us had to go use some crappy banked weapons to kill Specters for a while in order to get back to level 46, just so we could get back in to try again.
I also remember sessions of dragging corpses to LGuk entrance (as well as many other dungeons) after a wipe. The characters I played the most were a Monk and a Rogue, so I often was on corpse dragging duty (was super happy when they added the corpsedrag command).
My first ever / launch day character was a Half Elf Ranger, who I eventually got to the point where I needed to go to Qeynos. He was promptly one shot by Fippy upon entering the zone, and I decided to try something else. I then started a woof elf druid and tried to meet up with a friend but got chased and killed by two Ogres in Butcherblock after having made it safely through Feydark(sp?).
Now that I am older, I dont have the same time to do 6+ hour sessions like I used to, where sometimes I would not get to bed until 4 AM. I am still searching for a single player/less MMOish game that gives me the same feeling of EQ. I

I never made it past like level 43 or so with EQ2 I did alot of leveling myself same thing with Dark Age of Camelot never reached level 50 the grind was so real.

I once died so much that I could not get back into PoF because I went all of the way down to level 45. A group of us had to go use some crappy banked weapons to kill Specters for a while in order to get back to level 46, just so we could get back in to try again.
I also remember sessions of dragging corpses to LGuk entrance (as well as many other dungeons) after a wipe. The characters I played the most were a Monk and a Rogue, so I often was on corpse dragging duty (was super happy when they added the corpsedrag command).
My first ever / launch day character was a Half Elf Ranger, who I eventually got to the point where I needed to go to Qeynos. He was promptly one shot by Fippy upon entering the zone, and I decided to try something else. I then started a woof elf druid and tried to meet up with a friend but got chased and killed by two Ogres in Butcherblock after having made it safely through Feydark(sp?).
Now that I am older, I dont have the same time to do 6+ hour sessions like I used to, where sometimes I would not get to bed until 4 AM. I am still searching for a single player/less MMOish game that gives me the same feeling of EQ. I

I will have to see if I can get into my old website, it sounds like you guys would have been a group I would have had to save lol..
I never made it past like level 43 or so with EQ2 I did alot of leveling myself same thing with Dark Age of Camelot never reached level 50 the grind was so real.
EQ2 wasn't that great raiding utterly sucked and the game was broken through the first 2 expansions. I was the 4th Dirge to 50, was in the same guild with the douchebag Curt Shilling <Drow> and wound up moving to Grobb to be ranked #2 behind my guildmate. (Which also means I was in the same guild as Boogie2988)...

If you're online in any game and you see a douchebag named Ngruk, its probably Curt or someone using his player name.
https://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/450972757080

This isn't the newest build still looks dated I mean Dark Age of Camelot looked flashier and better and that was 18 years ago. I hope when they release the latest build it actually looks alot flashier instead of cookie cutter combat.

lol I think someone has rose colored glasses. No one was a bigger fan that I of DAoC but common; this is DAoC 18 years ago:

Dark-Age-of-Camelot-spell-effect.jpg

The latest build for Pantheon is behind closed doors so I hope when they show it off it looks good. Graphics don't make the game its all about the good vibe kinda like headphones they all make sound but 75 percent of them sound like garbage.

Pantheon is the still pretty much the final stand in the era of old school MMO's. I have less faith in Camelot Unchained at this point, and I'm only marginally hopeful that Crowfall will turn out decent. Outside of those, it's primarily turned to casual p2w models with no real sense of progression or reward for your time investment/efforts. This game needs to succeed in my book.

Pantheon is the still pretty much the final stand in the era of old school MMO's. I have less faith in Camelot Unchained at this point, and I'm only marginally hopeful that Crowfall will turn out decent. Outside of those, it's primarily turned to casual p2w models with no real sense of progression or reward for your time investment/efforts. This game needs to succeed in my book.

Depending on what you're seeking, there are others out there. I've been following Crowfall and it is coming along nicely, but it will be in the mold of a "Shadowbane / DAOC" style title, with some neat dynamics - namely the persistent setup, separation of "Eternal Kingdoms" for housing, RP ,home bases versus "Campaign Worlds" where people take over land, get the good resources, and have varying different rulesets (ie FFA open PVP against anyone who's not in your guild/group, 2-faction alignments, 3-faction alignments etc..), all of which are by nature temporary. Campaign worlds each having a set period of time with winners and losers, with new campaign worlds going up frequently mean that unlike Shadowbane, DAOC or other PVP focused (especially territory owning PVP) games, the first hardcore players to get established don't simply thrash anyone coming later who doesn't have a massive advantage somehow. I've watched the game grow and they're still adding and implementing systems in Alpha.

Let me also suggest "Shroud of the Avatar", run by Richard Garriott it is the spiritual successor and a 3D-ish "Ultima Online". It has some really old school dynamics and focuses on niche RP features with a fantastic RP and player creation community. There's both PVP and PVE in droves and is all around a well rounded MMO that is frequently updated! It is Live at current, but consistently updated on a monthly basis with new features, not to mention the first expansion to be released later in the year.

Ashes of Creation and Chronicles of Elyria (especially the latter) are pretty damn ambitious in their own right, not exactly old school but designed to pull things into somethign new.

Pantheon is certainly the heritage of "EverQuest', but I just hope that they don't bring back the kind of grindy/tedious nonsense that was present in the original. As someone who played and loved EQ during its heyday, the things that made it great were NOT the tedious timesink elements or an "exclusionist" philosophy, but elements that can exist in a better overall environment; I wrote a lot of about this recently in the WoW Classic newspost. Still I hope the best for the title and look forward to testing it

Depending on what you're seeking, there are others out there. I've been following Crowfall and it is coming along nicely, but it will be in the mold of a "Shadowbane / DAOC" style title, with some neat dynamics - namely the persistent setup, separation of "Eternal Kingdoms" for housing, RP ,home bases versus "Campaign Worlds" where people take over land, get the good resources, and have varying different rulesets (ie FFA open PVP against anyone who's not in your guild/group, 2-faction alignments, 3-faction alignments etc..), all of which are by nature temporary. Campaign worlds each having a set period of time with winners and losers, with new campaign worlds going up frequently mean that unlike Shadowbane, DAOC or other PVP focused (especially territory owning PVP) games, the first hardcore players to get established don't simply thrash anyone coming later who doesn't have a massive advantage somehow. I've watched the game grow and they're still adding and implementing systems in Alpha.

Let me also suggest "Shroud of the Avatar", run by Richard Garriott it is the spiritual successor and a 3D-ish "Ultima Online". It has some really old school dynamics and focuses on niche RP features with a fantastic RP and player creation community. There's both PVP and PVE in droves and is all around a well rounded MMO that is frequently updated! It is Live at current, but consistently updated on a monthly basis with new features, not to mention the first expansion to be released later in the year.

Ashes of Creation and Chronicles of Elyria (especially the latter) are pretty damn ambitious in their own right, not exactly old school but designed to pull things into somethign new.

Pantheon is certainly the heritage of "EverQuest', but I just hope that they don't bring back the kind of grindy/tedious nonsense that was present in the original. As someone who played and loved EQ during its heyday, the things that made it great were NOT the tedious timesink elements or an "exclusionist" philosophy, but elements that can exist in a better overall environment; I wrote a lot of about this recently in the WoW Classic newspost. Still I hope the best for the title and look forward to testing it

I'm 50/50 on the fence of wanting the game to be not quite everquest, but more Vanguard with lots more polish and some 2019 QOL improvements to get with the times. I loved EQ too, nothing can ever replace that experience for me - I'll also never have as much free time on my hands as I did back in the early 2000's when I was in high school, barring some freak accident that leaves me in a wheelchair stuck in the house unable to work. But yeah, I'll be happy with whatever Pantheon decides to be as I just really enjoy Brad's game, his vision, and the kind of effort put into all the systems in the games he builds. At the very least, this game will be meaty and have substance, something games of this genre severely lack nowadays.

FYI, Brad Mcquaid passed away today. He was the founder of Pantheon and also EverQuest and Vanguard.

FYI, Brad Mcquaid passed away today. He was the founder of Pantheon and also EverQuest and Vanguard.
Sad day. Many fond memories and lasting friendships from EQ and vanguard. Hope his memories continue to live on.

I couldn't even see the game in the same light without that guy around. I wonder if it was High blood pressure way too young he is only 8 years older than myself.

I couldn't even see the game in the same light without that guy around. I wonder if it was High blood pressure way too young he is only 8 years older than myself.
Joppa will help keep it old school, though it's not old school enough IMO. To me, inventory management is a key piece to role playing games and he has recently talked about how that will be dumbed down in Pantheon. For example, by saying coin won't have weight.

Joppa will help keep it old school, though it's not old school enough IMO. To me, inventory management is a key piece to role playing games and he has recently talked about how that will be dumbed down in Pantheon. For example, by saying coin won't have weight.

I believe there was a history of substance abuse, hopefully it wasn't related to that.

Definitely the guy I consider to be the most influential in my online gaming career. If it weren't for Everquest I probably would've been an honors student in high school and gone to a real university rather than a community college. But then I would've never camped 24 hours straight on an Innoruuk kill or spent 7 billion hours in Skyshrine slaying dragons by the dozens - WORTH IT.

That being said, and I know this is going to come off as rude and insensitive considering the timing, but does anyone else wonder if he may have in fact faked his own death to run off with all the kickstarter money? It would've been the perfect heist.

I believe there was a history of substance abuse, hopefully it wasn't related to that.

Definitely the guy I consider to be the most influential in my online gaming career. If it weren't for Everquest I probably would've been an honors student in high school and gone to a real university rather than a community college. But then I would've never camped 24 hours straight on an Innoruuk kill or spent 7 billion hours in Skyshrine slaying dragons by the dozens - WORTH IT.

That being said, and I know this is going to come off as rude and insensitive considering the timing, but does anyone else wonder if he may have in fact faked his own death to run off with all the kickstarter money? It would've been the perfect heist.

I would have finished college for sure, but hey your right, only thing topping those long raid nights would have been snorting coke out of a hookers ass..

Well, the Kickstarter failed so they didn't get any of that. Shortly after the KS failed they did an initial crowd funding surge and Brad supposedly took/pocketed 150k from that "to cover medical expenses", and everyone on the team walked away because they were working for free up until then. He eventually got a different team together, with a few of the original folks coming back. I had several rants about that in this thread which I have since removed (I think).

What I don't understand about that is Brad lived in in a nearly 2 Million dollar home and had a Ferrari and stuff. I don't know why he was acting like 150k is worth losing your career/life over by taking that money and leaving everyone else out to dry.

Last edited:
Well, the Kickstarter failed so they didn't get any of that. Shortly after the KS failed they did an initial crowd funding surge and Brad supposedly took/pocketed 150k from that "to cover medical expenses", and everyone on the team walked away because they were working for free up until then. He eventually got a different team together, with a few of the original folks coming back. I had several rants about that in this thread which I have since removed (I think).

What I don't understand about that is Brad lived in in a nearly 2 Million dollar home and had a Ferrari and stuff. I don't know why he was acting like 150k is worth losing your career/life over by taking that money and leaving everyone else out to dry.

Probably because he had drug problems. That's probably what killed him too. Sadly I don't think this game can be great without him. I'm not even sure if it would be if he was still around when I remember Vanguard.

New footage looks hardcore Nate said the movement animations are placeholder so expect them to be more fluid when the game launches.

This is my last and only hope to capture the magic of early EQ1. Especially now that McQuaid is gone, I hope they don't "theme-park" ruin it...

I cannot wait for this game. IMO it may be the last chance for a real non-themepark fantasy MMORPG release.

Back