Panel Makers to Shift Focus to 8K LCD in 2019

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
DigiTimes is reporting that major panel makers are going to begin pushing 8K next year. Despite low yield rates and high production costs, Samsung, LG, AU Optronics, and other major players are expected to produce displays ranging in size from 65” to 98” to entice early adopters, who are expected to comprise only .1% of the total market. “8K is four times the size of 4K, and sixteen times the size of 2K or 1080p.”

Judging from the production roadmaps of individual companies, 65- and 75-inch models will be the mainstream sizes of the 8K LCD TV segment. Samsung and Innolux are expected to focus on 82-inch 8K panels; AUO and CSOT may roll out 85-inch models; and Sharp is to release 70- and 80-inch models. However, LG Display, Samsung, BOE, and CEC are also likely to launch 98-inch 8K panels, the sources indicated.

More pixels are always a good thing.

That being said, deminishing returns and all - would be nicer to see them push improvements in HDR, in framerate, and other tech rather than just jumping the shark on pixel count.

HDMI 2.1 will barely support this, and we don't even have that on anything modern yet.

So would 8k need antialiasing? 4k screens don't need anti-aliasing and look great. If there's even less pixels, would there become an issue or would that be even better?

Just no... Would rather them push vfr, higher hz 4k and panels to help with movement and moives to go to more then 24fps. Stick at 4k for the foreseeable future as it's enough for all but the giant screens. Also form what I remember getting old up to higher pixles is hard so I don't want this 8k movement to kill oled like the 4k did to pdp.

Onward and upward I guess. Yes it seems to soon for this, but apparently the manufacturing process is at a point where companies think it viable. There is really no reason to complain about it.

The only benefit I can see is a 6dB improvement in dynamic ranges and gray-scale linearity in upscaled 4K content, since 4 pixels working together to emulate one pixel can produce 4 times as many luminosity levels (in each channel).

Oh, or maybe a reduction in OLED burn-in instead, by alternating between the four pixels or something.

Just like with cameras, they will keep pushing the pixel count instead of quality.

At least this should push the cost of 4k screens down even more.

outside of cinema screens this is truly useless.
I used to think the same, 'til I saw this video on a LG OLED in HDR mode in Chrome. Sure, watching an 8K capture on a 4K screen is not the same as watching on an 8K screen (and then there's the Youtube compression), but holy hell it gives an idea what its going to be like.

This footage was captured natively in 8K UHD (4320p) and 60fps resolution with the brand new Red Helium 8K Super35mm sensor.

Last edited:
outside of cinema screens this is truly useless.
disagree. I've got a 65" OLED, and I can see pixels if I"m about 5-6' away, which if I could figure out a way to do it, would be where I'd always be. And if I had a 80" or bigger, it'd be even better. Honestly, this is the same place where everyone swore there was no point for 4k and HDR or not, 4k is much sharper than 2k.

Just no... Would rather them push vfr, higher hz 4k and panels to help with movement and moives to go to more then 24fps. Stick at 4k for the foreseeable future as it's enough for all but the giant screens. Also form what I remember getting old up to higher pixles is hard so I don't want this 8k movement to kill oled like the 4k did to pdp.
I'm not a fan of HFR movies, but given the latest HDMI specs includes 120hz for 4k (60 for 8k) I think it's safe to say that 120hz 4k will happen.

AFAIC, it's way to soon to buy these, but so what?
I think I saw 1080i sets in the late 90s and when did Blu Ray come out? 2006?
The first 4k projector came out roughly 15 years ago (albeit not for the home). I think Sony's $25,000 4k TV came out in 2011 or 2012. Netflix added 4k around 2014 and I think 4k disks came out in 2016 (or was it 2015?).

We literally here these same complaints every single time there's a new TV tech release. Just like virtually nobody bought a 1080 TV in the late 90s, almost nobody is going to buy these, but in 5 or 6 years, they will become the norm.

Now once we get to 8k, I suspect there will be little need for higher resolution, but maybe people will start putting up 200' screens in their basement and want more than 8k. For now, I can see 8k being an upgrade in mid 20s, but for now I'll live with my 4k set ;)

I just got a 4K TV....
Me too, but by the time 8k is mainstream, it'll be time to upgrade. When HD sets came out in the 90s, I was buying a 35" SD set (1998). I can remember when everyone said that 720p was all you need (OK some said 1080i) but 1080p was pointless...until it wasn't.

I used to think the same, 'til I saw this video on a LG OLED in HDR mode in Chrome. Sure, watching an 8K capture on a 4K screen is not the same as watching on an 8K screen (and then there's the Youtube compression), but holy hell it gives an idea what its going to be like.

Reminds me of what I saw on a 1080 set in some AV shop in the late 90s. Always nature. I wish I could process 8k. Not sure if it'd look better, but I do have a 5k screen.

One thing I noticed the more I watched is that the colors are over saturated. But still amazing.

Last edited:
For fucks sake, this is the [H]? My Dad told me there was no reason to ever go beyond a few MB, (big at the time of the conversation) of space, because no one could ever use that much space, ever. Let's all be happy companies are pushing for the pinnacle. Why the sarcasm and thumbs down? I don't plan on buying an 8k tv...………...but at least I'll have that choice when they exist

too bad there is a lack of content to go with these screens though.

and considering costs, purchases only comes when insurance on current set ends

Broadcast television (at least in the US) is still majority 720p/1080i. Some streaming services like Netflix and Amazon provide 4K content, but they utilize approximately 7 GB of data per hour. So a 4K feature length movie utilizes approximately 15GB. 4K content also requires 15-25 Mbps of available bandwidth to stream.

If you extrapolate that to 8K (which is 4x the number of pixels) then you're looking at approximately 60GB of data to stream a feature length movie at 8K. With many ISPs utilizing data caps this type of streaming won't be very practical. Not to mention you'd likely need 60-100 Mbps of available bandwidth to stream the content which for many plans would require essentially no other internet usage during that time.

But before that, Samsung is planning on releasing their new mobile 16K display. First device will be the new Samsung pinky ring with the sharpest 2cm x .5cm display ever made. However, early adopters are upset that it doesn't have a headphone jack and the camera isn't the best in the world.

Slow down!! I don't even have a 4k TV yet!! I don't even know if Verizon FiOS even offers anything for a 4k tv.

Broadcast television (at least in the US) is still majority 720p/1080i. Some streaming services like Netflix and Amazon provide 4K content, but they utilize approximately 7 GB of data per hour. So a 4K feature length movie utilizes approximately 15GB. 4K content also requires 15-25 Mbps of available bandwidth to stream.

If you extrapolate that to 8K (which is 4x the number of pixels) then you're looking at approximately 60GB of data to stream a feature length movie at 8K. With many ISPs utilizing data caps this type of streaming won't be very practical. Not to mention you'd likely need 60-100 Mbps of available bandwidth to stream the content which for many plans would require essentially no other internet usage during that time.
The ISPs that have caps will have to raise their caps. Next time I move, I'm making sure I have an option to use an ISP that doesn't have a cap. Around hear Century Link has that (and with 1Gbps at that), while comcrap has a 1tb cap. I'm always under it, but it's still dumb. Worse than the cap is their pathetic 5Mbps up speed.

Fortunately, those of us who buy discs instead of streaming don't need to worry about these issues. The Blu-Ray standard supports 25, 50, 75, and 100GB discs, with 50GB (double-layer) discs being the current standard for movies.

I currently work with 3x 43" 4k displays as monitors, side by side. I won't lie, it's a bit of a chore to have to twist slightly to the side either way to use them, but I need the screen real estate, and I tried a 32" 4k and the text was just too small (and as mentioned, I need the real estate). I can't imagine using an 8k screen - I'd need like an 86" screen to keep the same pixel density (someone else can do the math for that, I'm ballparking).

Bring it on. Who cares we barely have 4k broadcast content? If it brings 4k screens down in price I’m all for it. Besides, now I can dream of an 8K, 98 inch Oled screen I won’t be able to afford for the next 10 years!

Bring it on. Who cares we barely have 4k broadcast content? If it brings 4k screens down in price I’m all for it. Besides, now I can dream of an 8K, 98 inch Oled screen I won’t be able to afford for the next 10 years!

Don't sell yourself short. You can finance it for just $99/mo for 10 years and bring it home today! I mean, 640k 8k is all you'll ever need.

Fortunately, those of us who buy discs instead of streaming don't need to worry about these issues. The Blu-Ray standard supports 25, 50, 75, and 100GB discs, with 50GB (double-layer) discs being the current standard for movies.
I understand. But if you're going to shift the focus of your panel production to 8K you'd think that there would be more content than just Blu-ray discs. The majority of content consumption is now through streaming where my aforementioned bottlenecks are prevalent.

I understand. But if you're going to shift the focus of your panel production to 8K you'd think that there would be more content than just Blu-ray discs. The majority of content consumption is now through streaming where my aforementioned bottlenecks are prevalent.
They have it piping up in Japan, so the Chinese want it too. China is spending billions upgrading the internet services across the country, in 8 years there will be a huge demand there for it.

Been using LG UltraFine 5K, I cannot go back to 4K anymore.....

While doing some reading and coding, 5K font is far easier to read than 4K. Hopefully more 5K 27" panels coming.....

Back