Pandora Plays Song 1.16M Times, Artist Gets $17

What percentage of artists who are recording and trying to sell their music would you say the above applies to? There are a lot more out there than just the ones TMZ covers.

Every person on the planet is an artist in some context. When people say 'artists today' they usually mean just the ones that are popular or successful - those are the ones that TMZ covers. And I'd say his statement applies to almost all of those artists.

Ummm, isn't a Sirius "play" to as many as 10,000,000 listeners at the same time? :eek:

Therefore, the $179 is instead .00000179 per person.... OR ... close to the same as Pandora? :rolleyes:

What do these idiots expect, $1 MILLION check for their shitty drivel? :p:cool:

Obligatory relevant Hedberg joke:
Mitch Hedberg said:
I did a radio interview with XM radio. They said, "you can swear on XM radio." No shit, 'cause nobody can hear it. You can swear in the woods, too!

Oh, how quickly we forget. Radio was primarily a way for the labels to promote the music, driving sales. They would (illegally), go to DJs and pay THEM to play their music, which would drive up interest in that artist or song, which would result in greater sales of the album or single!

How is Pandora any different? Because it's online? What in God's Green Earth were they thinking when they started charging traditional radio stations in the first place??? Don't they (the RIAA) know that Pandora is primarily a music DISCOVERY system? I hear something on Pandora that I like...I can't just play it when I want to...so I BUY the damn song!

They (the RIAA AND overly-entitled artists like Pink Floyd) should STFU and learn that Pandora is driving interest in the music that they are selling and not "stealing" money from them. I am SICK AND TIRED of MULTI-MILLIONAIRE "artists" (who havent written memorable music in 30 years, no less!) whining about how they are getting the shaft! I am SICK AND TIRED of talentless (and endless) middlemen who had NOTHING TO DO with the creation of the music whining about how they are being "stolen" from!

Bottom line, if they got their wish, and killed off Pandora completely, you would see a NOTICEABLE drop in sales. I wish they would pull their heads out of each others asses and see that they are shooting themselves in the foot by going after Internet Radio!

Ummm, isn't a Sirius "play" to as many as 10,000,000 listeners at the same time? :eek:

Therefore, the $179 is instead .00000179 per person.... OR ... close to the same as Pandora? :rolleyes:

What do these idiots expect, $1 MILLION check for their shitty drivel? :p:cool:

Yes, a $1 Million check for shit they performed 30 years ago. Sounds about right.:confused:

B-b-b-b-b-but the band got $42.25 in royalties for those 1.6 million plays. Changes everything!

If his song is worth only $0.000015 per play for a songwriting royalty, well that's gotta hurt the old ego. Plus the song "Low" came out in 1993. Stale much?

We need to find out how much Pandora payed PERIOD! From there we then need to find out where it went. I don't blame Pandora, some one made that deal/contract/rate and somewhere in there someone is getting paid handsomely.

This lowery guy probably wouldnt be making a dime if pandora wasnt around keeping a huge interest in his music. Who cares if pandora doesnt make a lot, does he expect a handout at every avenue?

If he has such a sandy vagina over attempt to get it pulled. Actually instead of whining about it why dont you shut up and take your music else where? "stick to the man" if you are being 'so' ripped off.

So Pandora generates interest in your music , enough so that it reaches millions of their subscribers who may after listening to your music feel more inclined to purchase it for the full price on iTunes or Amazon or whatever.

If you have even half a brain , you know that the money in music comes from touring .. Digital sales are nice but touring and promotion are where the bills are at.

rebuttal from Pandora...they did just lose a big court fight that makes them pay more than either terrestrial or satellite.
"Mr. Lowery’s calculations grossly understate Pandora’s payments to songwriters. In truth, Pandora paid many times more in songwriter royalties to play the song referenced in his article. The post also neglects to mention that the rates Pandora pays were set by the very organizations that represent songwriters and publishers. These organizations – BMI and ASCAP – are the very same groups that recently agreed to a long-term licensing agreement with the terrestrial radio industry to pay songwriters significantly less than Pandora.”

So...stop bitching at the people playing your music and bitch at the people who made the deal. Pandora isn't the villain here...its the music industry. Funny how artists still don't understand that.

So the real question is, how much did it cost Pandora to play the song in the first place?

I find this a pretty ironic article. I was at a music festival in Athens, GA last weekend, and one of the bands on the bill was Cracker. I remembered liking a band back in the 90's and thought it surely couldn't be the same one. Turns out that Lowery lives in Athens now and it was indeed the same band, well at least some of the same members. It was a good show, nice trip down memory lane and all. Then I get home and see this article. I hadn't thought of this band in years, and now twice in a week I have seen references to them and seen them perform live. Wierd.

rebuttal from Pandora...they did just lose a big court fight that makes them pay more than either terrestrial or satellite.
"Mr. Lowery’s calculations grossly understate Pandora’s payments to songwriters. In truth, Pandora paid many times more in songwriter royalties to play the song referenced in his article. The post also neglects to mention that the rates Pandora pays were set by the very organizations that represent songwriters and publishers. These organizations – BMI and ASCAP – are the very same groups that recently agreed to a long-term licensing agreement with the terrestrial radio industry to pay songwriters significantly less than Pandora.”

So...stop bitching at the people playing your music and bitch at the people who made the deal. Pandora isn't the villain here...its the music industry. Funny how artists still don't understand that.

Artists, for the most part, do understand that. They just choose not to attack the guys that control every aspect of their professional lives.

Artists, for the most part, do understand that. They just choose not to attack the guys that control every aspect of their professional lives.

ok...that is weak. If I chose to work for someone for $5 an hour and that person in turn charges the customer $50 an hour, I can't go to the customer and tell them they ripped me off because the guy who got the job took 90% of the cut.

If you are too lazy, to scared or too dumb to promote yourself then you don't deserve the big pay check. If you are good...and you have an audience there are a lot of options now-a-days to build that audience without big music.

ok...that is weak. If I chose to work for someone for $5 an hour and that person in turn charges the customer $50 an hour, I can't go to the customer and tell them they ripped me off because the guy who got the job took 90% of the cut.

If you are too lazy, to scared or too dumb to promote yourself then you don't deserve the big pay check. If you are good...and you have an audience there are a lot of options now-a-days to build that audience without big music.

I completely agree. It's easier than ever to self publish, tour and otherwise make money without middlemen taking 90-92% of your profits.

Back