Pandora Is Now Paying Out $0.0001 More Per Stream

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know $0.0001 doesn't sound like much but it really does add up...after a few billion streams. ;)

The news was confirmed in a call with investors following Pandora’s Q1 fiscal results announcement on Thursday, in which it posted a three-month net loss of $48.3m. In what Pandora CEO Brian McAndrews called a “scheduled annual step-up”, Pandora has from January 1 been paying out an average $0.0014 per ad-funded stream and $0.0024 per premium stream to SoundExchange.

The only thing pandora does is expose people to new music they would never have heard otherwise. If you are expecting to make money being on Pandora, then you are woefully naive.

Why is pandora even talked about as some sort of negative of not paying artists? It's sound exchange that sucks.

As a casual music consumer, I love Pandora. I never buy music. A few of my friends are voracious consumers of music and buy all of it. They never use Pandora.

I pay for Google Music, I casually stream Pandora on occasion out of boredom. Google is getting better at creating auto-playlists based upon your interests. Artists need to understand that Pandora pays less because Pandora makes less. Broadcast radio funded by ad banners and the occasional 15 second audio blip will not net you tens of millions of dollars as a performer. If you want 100x what pandora pays in royalties then sell your music to a higher bidder.

I've bought plenty of stuff and even went to performances because stuff that came across Pandora.

Remember the days bands had to pay MTV to play their videos? Now radio stations have to pay to play music. But if it weren't for the radio stations playing the music, we wouldn't know an artist existed, we wouldn't buy their content, and they would be able to afford their diamond crusted swimming pools.

I wonder how much of an impact Amazon Music will have on Pandora.

I wonder how much of an impact Amazon Music will have on Pandora.

Right now they offer different experiences. Pandora is very much like a radio. You pick/make a station with a rough approximate idea of the likely content, but you get what their rules & their randomizer give you. Amazon let's you stream your music plus a modest selection of other music you specifically choose. You can randomize the playback or not but is all under your control.

I pay for Google Music, I casually stream Pandora on occasion out of boredom. Google is getting better at creating auto-playlists based upon your interests. Artists need to understand that Pandora pays less because Pandora makes less. Broadcast radio funded by ad banners and the occasional 15 second audio blip will not net you tens of millions of dollars as a performer. If you want 100x what pandora pays in royalties then sell your music to a higher bidder.

Alternatively, accept that you will make less money, but potentially reach a wider audience that will buy your albums, merchandise, concert tickets, etc. I've discovered artists via streaming audio that I would never have known about otherwise, so I would never have bought their CDs or gone to see them live. I've also discovered deeper cuts from artists that I never would have expected (John Mayer in particular) that led me to purchase a CD that I would not have purchased having only heard the popular song(s) on traditional radio.

This might be hard for some people to believe but maybe that's all music is worth. It's not like they're providing food, housing, transportation, or medical service.

The only thing pandora does is expose people to new music they would never have heard otherwise. If you are expecting to make money being on Pandora, then you are woefully naive.

Unless Pandora has changed, I agree. Spotify is basically a cloud based CD player. Pandora is a web based radio station. It's a huge difference.

I think the old method that only allowed you to listen to a song 5 or 10 times before you had to buy it was a better model for artists.

This might be hard for some people to believe but maybe that's all music is worth. It's not like they're providing food, housing, transportation, or medical service.

Other than the fact that people want music and consume more of it than ever before, you're totally right :rolleyes:

Back