Pandora IPO Fetches $16 A Share

HardOCP News

[H] News
Congrats to Pandora, $16 per share is a whole lot better than the $3 per share the company's board members valued its stock at just six months ago. :eek:

Pandora Media Inc. sold its initial public offering of stock at $16 per share late Tuesday, fetching twice as much as the popular but unprofitable Internet radio service expected less than two weeks ago. The IPO's completion means Pandora will make its stock market debut Wednesday morning with a market value of $2.6 billion.

Unfortunately, going public means the service will probably go downhill. Now it will be all about money, and little about service.

I'm more worried about that $2.6B valuation...seriously? Where do they come up with this stuff? :p

I'm more worried about that $2.6B valuation...seriously? Where do they come up with this stuff? :p
Ya have to agree, that is a lot of money if you wanted to build solid infrastructure.
"the main reason money managers and institutional investors drove up the value of the company's IPO.

The next measure of Pandora's investment appeal comes Wednesday when the general public gets its first chance to buy a stake in the company."

When the general public gets to buy the inflated prices of the shares.

Until they can actually make money I'm taking it as another sign of a bubble.

I wish Pandora would figure out song caching like Slacker does. But that would cost more money I guess.

It's already trading over $20. Wish I could have gotten in on some pre-ipo.

If you would have been"money managers and institutional investors". Were back to the snake oil sales men. Since not much has changed to weed out the investment corruption, the bubble is getting ready to pop and it looks like at a much shorter investment cycle.

If you would have been"money managers and institutional investors". Were back to the snake oil sales men. Since not much has changed to weed out the investment corruption, the bubble is getting ready to pop and it looks like at a much shorter investment cycle.

Mmhm. Get in pre-IPO, build up the hype, then wait for the individual investors and retirement funds to buy in, then dump it and profit.

pandora is great, but I have my doubts it's really worth that much unless they do things to make the service less customer friendly.

Honestly I think Pandora subscriptions would blow up if they made it a $2.99 addon to your Netflix sub.

Steve, it went up to 26 today before going back down to 20ish a share.

Man there has got to be some way to check on when these stocks go public. I really want to buy zynga stock, but if i don't grab it as soon as it goes up for sale then going to get screwed. Pandora is good, but the company is operating at a loss currently so =/

Let me add, THIS is part of why the economy is in the tank and unemployment sucks. Why would anyone take the risk of building factories and hiring people when you can make "easy" money playing games on Wall St?

Until the huge oligopoly of the big banks and investment firms is changed, we will see only more of this. Cash is spent chasing more cash, not actually making anything of value or employing people. Creating a product that ekes out a small profit isn't good enough; it has to be double digit growth, pump it up make it bigger!

Ya have to agree, that is a lot of money if you wanted to build solid infrastructure.
"the main reason money managers and institutional investors drove up the value of the company's IPO.

The next measure of Pandora's investment appeal comes Wednesday when the general public gets its first chance to buy a stake in the company."

When the general public gets to buy the inflated prices of the shares.

You know, it's really screwed up how that works.

With 1 share of LinkedIn's stock (at least at the time) costing more than a barrel of oil, Facebook possibly being worth $100 B, and now Pandora fetching $16/share, is this the 2nd coming of the dot-com-bomb? :eek:

Let me add, THIS is part of why the economy is in the tank and unemployment sucks. Why would anyone take the risk of building factories and hiring people when you can make "easy" money playing games on Wall St?

Until the huge oligopoly of the big banks and investment firms is changed, we will see only more of this. Cash is spent chasing more cash, not actually making anything of value or employing people. Creating a product that ekes out a small profit isn't good enough; it has to be double digit growth, pump it up make it bigger!

Are you saying high risk gambling on a global scale can be a bad thing? ;)

Man there has got to be some way to check on when these stocks go public. I really want to buy zynga stock, but if i don't grab it as soon as it goes up for sale then going to get screwed. Pandora is good, but the company is operating at a loss currently so =/

I didn't see anywhere what the percentage of Pandora's IPO is, but zynga is already saying their IPO will only be 10% - meaning they keep full control of the company. Plus zynga is a terribly run company, I'd not be surprised to see them fold in the not too distant future unless someone does something drastic and soon.

imho it's all a quick money grab for those who can get in fast and get out fast - and these overly-inflated on paper worth.

You know, it's really screwed up how that works.

Fact in the investment world. By the time the public reads and responds to shares the big boys have all ready been in and out and whats left is for the public. Another fact, 80% of all shares are traded by 10% of the wealthy, the other 20% of left over shares are traded by the general public.The odd time the bottom feeders make it, if their is a runup on the shares through a frenzy of misinformation and you don't get selfish and bailout before the shares collapse. These share are usually not blue chip stock.This scenario has been going on since before the 1929 stock market crash.

Pandora is down to $13.40/share. Finally a little common sense being accounted for. :rolleyes:

How the hell did they get a 1-letter stock ticker symbol? (P) :confused: :eek: I wonder which is the last company to get a 1-letter symbol.

Back