Pandora CEO Tim Westergren Plans to Step Down

monkeymagick

[H]News
Recode is reporting that Tim Westergren, co-founder and CEO of streaming music service Pandora, plans to step down from his post as leader of the company. There have been no word yet on his replacement. The company has been battling to keep up with market growth and mindshare, but unfortunately is trailing Spotify and Apple Music for the top spot meanwhile Tidal still tries to exit. Streaming music services have been generating $1 billion in sales the past couple of years. Earlier in June, SiriusXM said it would invest $480 million in the company. I've been using Spotify myself for streaming and have discovered bands that no longer exists

Pandora was an early pioneer in streaming music, and grew its user base to more than 80 million people, most of whom used the free version of its web radio service. But Pandora has struggled to generate enough advertising revenue to cover the cost of the free service.

It's weird that articles like this always fail to mention Google Music. Almost all of my friends and family have subscribed to the service, and I see it in use everywhere in shared links to songs and such.

I can't say for sure, but it almost seems like maybe the free Pandora service is almost too good. Yeah, there are ads, but I haven't felt a huge urge to pay for the service over using the free version.

That said, I just picked up Spotify and it seems to it better anyway.

Back