Panasonic Viera 42" Plasma - 1080p - $499 Shipped (yes it is delicious)

Newegg black friday deal leak newsletter:

Plus, 2 Exclusive Doorbusters Available 6AM PST on FRIDAY, 11/26/2010:
• $399.99 42" 1080p LCD HDTV

not to mention "LCD TV" could be any janky brand of crap.

Panasonic and the Viera line are both quite famous for durability and picture quality.

Checkout isn't working for me, refuses to verify my address :(

HAHA you gave in!

Try looking up your address at USPS.com. Sometimes they give you a different spelling for the "verified" version of your street address. For example, I live on 100 East, but the USPS makes me use 100TH East instead.

HAHA you gave in!

Try looking up your address at USPS.com. Sometimes they give you a different spelling for the "verified" version of your street address. For example, I live on 100 East, but the USPS makes me use 100TH East instead.

Yeah I figured it out but this isn't $499 shipped. Shipping was something around $70.

How would this compare to the 40" Westinghouse LCD TV that will sell for $298 on BF in terms of value?

HH Gregg is a South East electronics store so if you live somewhere other than the east coast I would assume shipping wouldn't be that great. Standard shipping to me is $37.

How would this compare to the 40" Westinghouse LCD TV that will sell for $298 on BF in terms of value?

ummm apples to oranges. westinghouse LCD is like shopping at good will. a panasonic plasma set is like in a completely different class.

If you're looking for a dirt-cheap set go with the westinghouse. just don't expect much.

HH Gregg is a South East electronics store so if you live somewhere other than the east coast I would assume shipping wouldn't be that great. Standard shipping to me is $37.

yeah $51 shipping to me on the west coast. still tempting at $450

If you're in a darker viewing environment spend the extra money on the Viera. If you have the cash pony up the extra $200 for a used G25 on Amazon....you'll benefit from a better panel and the G25's glare reduction. I have a 50" G25 in an overly lit white room with white furniture and reflections are a non-issue. The U series was impressive compared to other plasmas in that regard but not as good. Not only will you get a better TV but you won't have to sit in some god aweful line at 2 am.

ummm apples to oranges. westinghouse LCD is like shopping at good will. a panasonic plasma set is like in a completely different class.

If you're looking for a dirt-cheap set go with the westinghouse. just don't expect much.
I've heard mixed things about Westinghouse. If it was going to be my primary TV, I'd go with a more name brand. But this TV will be for my bedroom, and I suspect it'll get 5-10 hrs./mo. of use. I'd fully expect the Panasonic to be of better quality, but at a 60% price premium, I don't think I can justify that.

If you're in a darker viewing environment spend the extra money on the Viera. If you have the cash pony up the extra $200 for a used G25 on Amazon....you'll benefit from a better panel and the G25's glare reduction. I have a 50" G25 in an overly lit white room with white furniture and reflections are a non-issue. The U series was impressive compared to other plasmas in that regard but not as good. Not only will you get a better TV but you won't have to sit in some god aweful line at 2 am.
Yeah, I've seen some Panasonic plasmas (not sure if Viera or what model), and they look great. Like I just said in my reply to sugosugita, if this was going to be my primary TV, I'd be willing to spend more $. My current bedroom TV is a 20" CRT, so any of these TVs should be a pretty nice upgrade. :)

That's what SHE said
Well done :cool:

HH Gregg is actually from the midwest and expanded over to the east coast. I lived in Indiana 10-15 years ago when you could hardly find a Best Buy and HH Greggs were everywhere since they are HQ'd in Indianapolis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hhgregg

This is a pretty good deal if you fancy plasma, I've seen a few better deals during BF but this one is up there and surprisingly still in stock.

The $300 deal from buy.com for the 42" Panasonic kicks the snot out of this deal, right?

The $300 deal from buy.com for the 42" Panasonic kicks the snot out of this deal, right?

Well, it would have, if Buy actually had any to sell. But since they cancelled almost all the orders, no.

Well, it would have, if Buy actually had any to sell. But since they cancelled almost all the orders, no.

Did they really cancel a lot of orders? I saw a huge thread on it on SD and didn't go through it. But I did read that buy.com was refunding the $150 shipping charge.

Did they really cancel a lot of orders? I saw a huge thread on it on SD and didn't go through it. But I did read that buy.com was refunding the $150 shipping charge.

lawl $150 shipping.....50% of the (alleged) product price.

lawl $150 shipping.....50% of the (alleged) product price.

It was supposed to be free shipping, but that wasn't the default selected, so people in their haste quickly checked out and didn't see the $150 shipping option selected.

For those of you not near a HHGregg, you might want to look into getting the TC-P42S2. It's one price bump higher than the U series, but thanks to this deal from SD, it's $495 with free shipping. I get charged tax in NJ, no idea for other states.

Back