Panasonic TH-42PZ700U 42" 1080P Plasma

larken

Limp Gawd
Panasonic recently released the PZ line a premium range of plasmas all with 1080p. This baby is 42" AND it has 1080p resolution a first unlike the 1024x768 resolution of past plasmas in this size range. Interestingly it does full 1:1 mapping over hdmi from a DVI source which makes it very viable for hooking up your computer. I recently saw that Fry's is selling this for a low $1499 which is incredible because this is the best 42" display you can get in the market in terms of picture quality. I've been a LCD fan for a few years but after switching to a plasma TV(Panasonic TH-50PX60U) I don't think I can go back to the inferior picture quality of LCDs. I still use a LCD monitor but my next one is very likely to be one of these once they dip below $1000. But still even at $1499, it is the best time for anyone looking to buy a plasma display for their HTPC. Any advocates of plasma? I've seen a few people with plasma on the picture thread so I know they are out there. ;)

Cnet review

imo those models as well as Panasonics latest 720p plasmas are the best bang for the buck right now. Even the most diehard lcd fans have to admit that plasma has the better PQ for normal tv watching and dvd movies when they see them side by side. The only real reason I can see to go with a large screen lcd is if you plan to hook up a pc...although many people do it with plasma screens with no issues. I've used my Panasonic plasma for nearly 3 years now for Xbox/Xbox 360 and with no issues whatsoever (just use common sense) and my friends who have projection, dlp, or lcd tv's are all jealous of the picture quality I get with upscaled dvd's. Plasma is also better than lcd for fast motion if you are a sports fan..

Something to consider...the high res on this size plasma, and on plasma in general isn't always desirable, firstly, the new 700 range of Panasonic 1024x768 plasma already have better PQ than the 1080p Samsung and Sharp LCD's{the difference in PQ is immediately noticeable, but that's not to say that the LCD's had poor PQ}.......secondly, as the CNET article mentions, the 1080 plasma is very dark, but this is partially due to the pixel squeeze, so LCD might kick it's ass true and proper during the daytime...not sure:confused:

Personally, I simply refuse to use a plasma as a PC monitor.....in Australia, I can buy a 42inch Plasma or a 40in Sony 10bit panel for the same money.....why would I even consider using the heavier, bulkier, possibly prone to "image retention**" plasma if PC duties are included.

Anyone who says that LCD has the "best PQ" is half blind, but LCD is still the undisputed king of PC monitors.

**image retention isn't burn in....image retention is temporary but still annoying.

Dogmapog-
Thats why when anyone asks for home theater advice I always ask if there will be a pc involved or kids playing a lot of videogames. If so then I recommend a Sharp/Samsung lcd and if not then Panasonic/Pioneer plasma for the best "theater" experience. A little gaming won't hurt a plasma as long as common sense is used...but kids often lack the common sense gene.;)

My store has all of these on display except for a 42" 1080p plasma.

there is no doubt. none, that a panasonic 700 series plasma BLOWS AWAY in gaming, in tv, in movies, in watching nature shows, or sports any lcd, whether it be xbr sony's, the superclear samsung, or the 92 series sharps. It's sad.

even the 1024 42" panasonic plasma is immensely more accurate, clear and crisp as well as has better colours. I expected it to be crappy. i mean its like not slightly better if you look at it, its like 6x better. its just really sad.

Images do not get retained in modern, high end plasmas. there are many ways in which they can shift and turn off without you noticing much to stop that.

also, anything beyond 8 bit is marketing gimick. unless it is not a part of ntsc and rgb standards, nothing beyond 8 bit has any much use. my 1000 dollar monitor that is 26 inches uses 8 bit colour for doing graphic work.

I was told though that for computer use, that plasmas use round pixels which is bad for text. I dont know if this is true. have not tested it. Everyone who is young on forums somehow is brainwashed to like big lcds. they are far behind and cost 2x as much. marketing wins!

I agree with you ... the Panasonic Plasmas look beautiful. But do you really think the color is accurate?

I sat there for 2 hours adjusting all the tv's that I would bother recommending. the only one that adjusted properly to human skin colouring and the wood furniture in Narnia (my reference film for adjusting) Is the... panasonic cheap 7 series 1024 42" plasma. no other tv came as close. the samsung superclear type was better than most. the plasma is the tv I adjust all the other tvs on the walls to nowadays.

take out the spyder pro or whatever, who knows then. but the eyes are the only thing that counts I feel. Looks awesome, looks real life = buy it.

Dogmapog-
. A little gaming won't hurt a plasma as long as common sense is used...but kids often lack the common sense gene.;)

Good call.....but another thing about plasma is the fact that you 'have" to take counter-measures, and that's why I like LCD for the PC...it's literally plug and play.....I want to have fun, not be concerned about damaging the display or having to disolve any IR.

My store has all of these on display except for a 42" 1080p plasma.

there is no doubt. none, that a panasonic 700 series plasma BLOWS AWAY in gaming, in tv, in movies, in watching nature shows, or sports any lcd, whether it be xbr sony's, the superclear samsung, or the 92 series sharps. It's sad.

!

Yep....but let's face it, if you haven't seen plasma, and I showed you HD-DVD or native FTA/OTA HD, you'd be using words like awesome, amazing, unreal....IOW, even though plasma is better, top of the line LCD is still incredible PQ with the right signal.

Also, it'll be interesting what the new 25 000/50 000 and 100 000:1 cr Samsung and Sharp LCD's can do in the PQ stakes.
In 2006, top dog Samsung LCD had an advertised cr of 6000:1, then in early 2007, they went to 15 000:1 and were regarded as having made a significant improvement in PQ.......so it's possible that the new M81 will be so good, that even if plasma has a slight edge in PQ,...LCD's other advantages will make it the the right choice, especially if using the PC.

yes, a pc is not meant for a plasma. normally at least. 1080p panasonic 42" remains to be tested by me or seen at all though.

no matter what tricks companies use to inflate their contrast numbers, it still is based upon BRIGHTNESS and not contrast. contrast is something light to something dark. there is no dark on an lcd except in a brightly lit room where you cannot see dark. I do not know of anyone who games in a brightly lit room at 1 am. Plasmas have absolute black and they can show ultra-dim shadows and stuff like that. Also, they never have issues of blur or refresh. still, if you need an all in one, lcd is best choice I agree.

Good call.....but another thing about plasma is the fact that you 'have" to take counter-measures, and that's why I like LCD for the PC...it's literally plug and play.....I want to have fun, not be concerned about damaging the display or having to disolve any IR.
Yes, for pc use it is lcd all the way...I let my NEC 20WMGX2 handle that while my nearly 3 year old Panasonic plasma gives me great PQ for tv, movies and 360 games.:cool:

Back