Panasonic TC-37LZ85 (1080p, IPS-A)

larken

Limp Gawd
Panasonic's first entry into a 37" LCD TV is the TC-37LZ85, and interestingly enough it's 1080p with 3 hdmi inputs and uses IPS Alpha technology(One of the best made by a joint venture between Toshiba, Hitachi and Panny). It's been announced at this year's CES and coming out next month, so we'll soon see how Panasonic's serious attempt at an LCD fares in reviewer's hands. Places like Amazon are already selling it for preorders at $1300 which is a pretty decent price for a 1080p IPS display in this size, considering the Sharp 32" LC-32GP3U is right around there. Maybe someone who appreciates the color of IPS and doesn't mind the larger size will be satisfied with this display? It could also be an alternative to the NEC 26" given its high price.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-...TVs/model.TC-37LZ85_11002_7000000000000005702
VIDEO:
Screen Size: 37" Class (37.0" diagonal)
Display Resolution: 1080p
Contrast Ratio: Up to 10000:1(Dynamic)
Compatible Signal Formats: 1080p/1080i/720p/480p
Panel: IPS Alpha 1080p (WSXGA)
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (Widescreen)
Aspect Control: 480i/p: Full, Just, 4:3, Zoom
1080i/p: Full, H-Fill, Just, 4:3, Zoom
Brightness (Panel, cd/m2): 500
Viewing Angle: 178°
Moving Picture Response Speed: 6.7ms
Digital Comb Filter: Yes
Progressive Scan: Yes
3D Color Management: Yes (Vivid Mode)
Sub Pixel Control: Yes
Intelligent Scene Controller: Yes
Motion Picture Pro: No
Screen Coating/Filter: AG Filter
x.v.Color 30.1: Yes
24p Playback (2:3) 30.2: Yes

AUDIO:
Speakers 2: Full-range x 2 (L, R)
Surround Sound: Yes
BBE VIVA HD3D Sound: No
Audio Output: 20 W (10% THD) (8 ohms, 80 Hz -17kHz)

I would like a Sony, Pana or Samsung 1080 37, but it depends on which ones are offered for sale in Australia.

The LZD80 series already use IPS-Alpha, right? It says so in this review (it offers 32" too).
Woah never heard of that model, at least in the USA. Panasonic always holds back their best models in the US market. They are now trying to get back market share in LCDs here.

Hmm, I would consider the 32" model if they ever released it in the US. They still offer the LX700 on their website which I was considering a few years ago (but Best Buy never had any in stock when I was interested). 37" is just too big for computer use to me, but we'll see. If the reviews are good on this model, I may have to check it out, that is if I can get it locally.

Hmm, I would consider the 32" model if they ever released it in the US. They still offer the LX700 on their website which I was considering a few years ago (but Best Buy never had any in stock when I was interested). 37" is just too big for computer use to me, but we'll see. If the reviews are good on this model, I may have to check it out, that is if I can get it locally.
Yup it looks like they are going to bring the 1080p 32" here mid 2008:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TC-32LZ800-1080p-HDTV/dp/B0014CQE5S

And the LZ800 series(TC-32LZ800 and TC-37LZ800) looks to differentiate from the LZ85 by incorporating motion focus technology. I wonder how that will affect gaming in terms of lag, streaking, and response times.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am actually getting confused by the model number. Is LZ800 the same as LZD80?
I think they have the same panels but the LZ800 is newer and has the motion focus feature. The LZD80 is sold in Europe but not in the US. The LZ800 is coming out in the US(not sure about Europe). If the motion focus is indeed the 100hz and 24p feature then the LZD85 might be the European counterpart to the LZ800.

The LZD80 series already use IPS-Alpha, right? It says so in this review (it offers 32" too).

Sadly, though, at least some of the good work we've just described is undone by a single depressing - and slightly unexpected - weakness: an uninspiring black level response.

A dynamic contrast spec...for all its general worthlessness...does seem to correlate to black levels by suggesting the degree of backlight control. And here, unfortunately, the low 10,000:1 spec is consistent with the above quote...

Sadly, though, at least some of the good work we've just described is undone by a single depressing - and slightly unexpected - weakness: an uninspiring black level response.

A dynamic contrast spec...for all its general worthlessness...does seem to correlate to black levels by suggesting the degree of backlight control. And here, unfortunately, the low 10,000:1 spec is consistent with the above quote...
Since it is IPS, the black levels will not be its strongest factor but that is to be expected. A lot of people want this display for its viewing angles, colors and size. The LCD manufactuer quotes a 900:1 CR, which is moderate these days.

Hi

Is this worse than the 37LZ800, except for the 100Hz motion blur thingy? I have heard that the interpolating frames dont really improve the picture and it might be a distractor at time.... Any comments?

My budget is ~1K for a 1080p TV and I am converging towards 32LZ800 and this is almost at that price point but a little bigger. I guess both of them use the IPS panels which is the sole reason I am leaning towards these. I have an old Dell IPS LCD and I am still amazed by the clarity and colors (uses a LG S-IPS)

-D~

Back