Panasonic Lumix FZ28 - Unboxing and Layman's Impressions (Pics + Videos)

I've recently caught a lot of flack for concenrating more on video and less on the still photo aspects of this camera. I just wanted to let everyone know I plan to update both the original post and my Youtube channel with my thoughts and experiences doing 10MP still photos with this baby.

I love the FZ28 more and more each time I use it. Yes, definitely you guys already know I love the 720P HD video mode (despite the shitty mic) but the still photos combined with that 18X zoom can be nothing short of amazing for a 'DSLR-Like' camera.

I'd love to see some shots Blue. I've been reading about the auto bracketing and I'll be doing some HDR soon.

I've recently caught a lot of flack for concenrating more on video and less on the still photo aspects of this camera. I just wanted to let everyone know I plan to update both the original post and my Youtube channel with my thoughts and experiences doing 10MP still photos with this baby.

I love the FZ28 more and more each time I use it. Yes, definitely you guys already know I love the 720P HD video mode (despite the shitty mic) but the still photos combined with that 18X zoom can be nothing short of amazing for a 'DSLR-Like' camera.

post'em up :D

Couple of macro shots:

What's new, pussycat?

Took the kids out playing at the local park the other day, I've got great HD video to go with this that I'll post in a bit:

Pictures of our cat that I think turned out wonderful:

Angelic:

Macro shots of thorns on our rose bush:

Our new 2008 Suzuki XL7:

I take such corny pictures:

just curious, why the 16:9 on those shots? i think they are just getting cropped, you still get the same wide angle in 4:3 but the top and bottom is included

just curious, why the 16:9 on those shots? i think they are just getting cropped, you still get the same wide angle in 4:3 but the top and bottom is included

Although I do kind of like the 16:9 format for most of my photos, I'd be lying to you if I said anything other than 'I set it to 16:9 one day and forgot about changing it back". :D

I got in my Tiffen close-up lens set today (+1,+2,+3), cheap glass I know but hey... cheap camera. Once I figured out how to use the close-up lenses properly I was stunned at the macro shots I could get.

Now if I could only find a monstrous telephoto lens for this thing to extend the zoom beyond 18X. :D

Warning: Cheap glass

Pencil - Panasonic FZ28 - Macro Mode, subject about 5cm from the lens:

Pencil - Panasonic FZ28 - Tiffen +1 attached:

Pencil - Panasonic FZ28 - Tiffen +2 attached:

Pencil - Panasonic FZ28 - Tiffen +3 attached:

Pencil - Panasonic FZ28 - Tiffen +1+2+3 attached:

Yes Gabe, I know I forgot to put it back in portrait mode. I totally forgot again. :)

heh, no prob. the first shot seems to look the best, i don't think the tiffen is helping.

i've been following this thread a little and i've done a little searching but i can't tell if this is a Digital SLR or not...

sorry if this is a noob question, but the wife wants to get a DSLR soon and I'm trying to find a good camera for a decent price...

ie, something like darktiger's canon but like half the price or more! :p

Canon and Nikon are the models I've been looking at.

it might be worth it to wait a few months for panasonic's next versions of their cameras.

Gabe3 said:
heh, no prob. the first shot seems to look the best, i don't think the tiffen is helping.

Well like I said it's cheap glass, but a lot of that is operator error as well. I've never used close-up lenses on a camera before so this is definitely new to me. The Tiffen does seem to do well up to +3, it's when you start stacking the lenses that things go sour.

I got some video of the moon tonight that's unreal. I know some of you want more pics and less video, but I absolutely can't help myself.

I'll post it as soon as it's made it through YouTube's processing phase.

I didn't use the camera for a few weeks, came back to it a few days ago and took some of the best pictures so far, check here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033790642&postcount=178

Amazing, I bow to your incredible macro shot abilities. :D

I've been transfixed by long telephoto shots, I've actually been shooting video and stills of the moon the past week or so. It's amazing how well the 18X zoom brings out the detail of craters and shadows on the moon.

I really want to find a good add-on lens to increase the telephoto range of the camera.

thanks. I bought a superzoom but I hardly use the zoom, really only for video. 90% of what I'm using it for is macros which I didn't intend on. When the time and money comes to get a SLR I'll probably be spending good money on a macro lens for sure.

Now that I know I enjoy macros so much, I wonder what camera I could have got that would be geared more for macros instead of zoom.

When will you be hosting the moon video?
Amazing, I bow to your incredible macro shot abilities. :D

I've been transfixed by long telephoto shots, I've actually been shooting video and stills of the moon the past week or so. It's amazing how well the 18X zoom brings out the detail of craters and shadows on the moon.

I really want to find a good add-on lens to increase the telephoto range of the camera.

thanks. I bought a superzoom but I hardly use the zoom, really only for video. 90% of what I'm using it for is macros which I didn't intend on. When the time and money comes to get a SLR I'll probably be spending good money on a macro lens for sure.

Now that I know I enjoy macros so much, I wonder what camera I could have got that would be geared more for macros instead of zoom.

When will you be hosting the moon video?

I actually posed several HD videos a few days ago but it seems the [H] went through another database crash or something.

Texas Moon - Filmed Feb 26 or 27th, 720P HD

Texas Moon - Filned March 3rd, 720P HD

Our Cat Oreo Filmed Feb 26-29, 2009 in 720P HD

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUwHUW5j0Dw&fmt=22]Oreo Again[/url] Filmed March 2nd and 3rd in 720P HD

Awesome review. Enjoy your camera!

I was actually impressed with the video HD quality.

WARNING: A bunch of photos below (resized to 800x600 for sanity). I know they are amateur-ish... no one is twisting your arm and making you look at them. If you don't want to see 'em then go to the next thread. Hmph! :p

Here is the moon as it was on February 26th or 27th, I forget. On YouTube I've got an awesome video where it dissapears behind some clouds.
moon%20033.jpg

Playing with my Tiffen +1+2+3 stackable set. You know, the lenses aren't half bad by thereselves - it's when you try stacking them that you get lots of fringing and stuff.
035.jpg

024.jpg

026.jpg

028.jpg

Doggah:
099.jpg

All of the following moon pictures are 800x600 crops from the originals.

This first photo is with no telephoto (zoom) whatsoever, the rest are at 18x zoom (full telephoto):
090.jpg

009.jpg

052.jpg

114.jpg

122.jpg

176.jpg

evenmoarmoon%20011.jpg

evenmoarmoon%20065.jpg

As you can see I'm learning to play around with the exposure and ISO settings to achieve good results, although the Panasonic UI is still taking quite a bit of getting used to compared to my Canons.

Thanks Gabe, the positive feedback is much appreciated!

squashleaf_web_wm.jpg

Newly planted Squash in our garden
This photo was taken from about 25 feet away, said plant is about the size of a silver dollar.

oreo_march909_web_wm.jpg

Oreo in B/W

sugar_mar62009_web_wm.jpg

My aunt's cat Sugar backlit by sunset

moon_march62009_web_wm.jpg

Can anyone else tell by now I'm fascinated with taking moon pictures?

bettysoreo_march62009_artsy_web_wm.jpg

Playing around in Photoshop

sugar_mar62009_2_web_wm.jpg

Thought this was a good example of how the flash doesn't tend to overpower a subject. Plus Sugar's eyes just look damned cool... :D

strawberrypot_mar4_2009.jpg

I carry my FZ28 and click-click-click at everything these days - this is simply one of my strawberry pots but for some reason the photo of it just looks great.

Pictures & video R lookin awsome!

Weather is starting to warm up,50's and 60's so I might have to start thinking about firing up the camera and see what I can post up in here ;)

Thanks Mustanguy!

Positive reinforcement is awesome, your comments are MUCH appreciated!

As long as I'm not pissing anyone off by doing so I'll probably continue to post pictures and video in here (this thread) from time, at least until it's not relevant anymore. Every day I learn something new about the camera and can't wait to share it with you folks.

I've been playing with the Tiffen 'stackable' close-up lens kit I bought. These are a set of 3 'close-up' lenses (+1, +2, +4) that are supposed to provide some great macro abilities. They allow you a much more magnified shot while being farther away from your subject. And they are CHEAP.

The lenses do fine on their own, but when you begin stacking them you run into weird anomolies. Also when stacking all 3 for +7 magnification it's damned near impossible to get your subject focused properly, you have to be in just the right position. They seem to work best with the FZ28 when it's set to about 12 to 14X zoom (telephoto).

These are no Raynox, and they don't provide that kind of clarity and performance, but they can also be had for about 20% of what the Raynox costs. They do have a quality look and feel to them that impressed me for the price I paid (like $25 shipped for the set).

The Tiffen Close-up kit works best if you just stick to using one lens at a time, or maybe even stacking two. All three lenses stacked together works, but the images can lack sharpness and it takes a lot of practice to get the focusing range juuuuuust right.

cantop_march2009_web_wm.jpg

Close-up of a pop-top can taken with Tiffen stacked to +7
Photo taken from about 12" away

tvpixels_tiffen_plus7_web_wm.jpg

Close-up of the subpixels on my 42" Westinghouse 1080P taken with Tiffen stacked to +7
Photo taken from about 12" away

harley_laying_web_wm.jpg

Harley being lazy...

bee_poptop_web_wm.jpg

Macro shot using the Tiffen +4 close-up lens. I could have done much better, I was a bit too far off to get a good focus, but it's still a neat picture!

720P HD VIDEOS:

Shortest trip to Six Flags EVAR

My Red Eared Sliders eating a snake

BEST ONE!

Sitting out on my front deck enjoying a nice cold can of Sprite and I was soon accompanied by a few thirsty honeybees. I was obliged to share so long as they let me practice my macro video skills on them. :D This video was taken with the Tiffen +4 close-up lens attached and the camera about 1 foot away, lens was extended to maximum telephoto (18X).

Best. Video. Evar.

AWESOME video of bees

really nice bee video. great detail. looks like your new lenses are showing what they can do.

speeking of bees

sweet pictures and thanks for the updates.

I'm on the edge of buying this camera... but I may wait until the holidays to get it since I wanna get a deal on it. Right now the cheapest I can find it, from a reputable site, is 300 bucks. But I'm thinking if I wait that long to upgrade my camera... I may have the extra bucks to just get a low end SLR camera.

Overall, how happy are you with this camera and your purchase? Do you miss canons menus system? I'm also a canon user but have no problem jumping to a different brand. It even took me a while to accept how the FZ28 looks... because I do like the look of the canon SX10 more.

sweet pictures and thanks for the updates.

I'm on the edge of buying this camera... but I may wait until the holidays to get it since I wanna get a deal on it. Right now the cheapest I can find it, from a reputable site, is 300 bucks. But I'm thinking if I wait that long to upgrade my camera... I may have the extra bucks to just get a low end SLR camera.

Overall, how happy are you with this camera and your purchase? Do you miss canons menus system? I'm also a canon user but have no problem jumping to a different brand. It even took me a while to accept how the FZ28 looks... because I do like the look of the canon SX10 more.

When I got mine back in january, it was $260 shipped. I'd either wait till it dropped in price, at least to $280. it should have a big price drop when panasonic comes out with it's replacement in the summer I guess. Wait till then or get a SLR, if your new to photography you might not want to start with a SLR.

I'm very happy with this camera, it was totally worth what I paid.

I'm absolutely thrilled with the camera and I think I paid around $280 from Newegg back in January for it.

I missed Canon's menu system at first, but it didn't take me long to get the knack of the Panasonic menu style. I especially like the little joystick button on the backside, it makes quick work of accessing most of the often used adjustments.

The Mega O.I.S. (image stabilization) is great too, much better than my Canon S3IS was. It makes you able to take some really fantastic shots without motion blur.

I just wish I'd bought the black version, but it was $20 more expensive at the time. I personally dislike the silver color. A camera should be black and sexy. :p

I just bought some new toys:

Panasonic By iConcepts CGA-S006/CGR-S006A/1B High Capacity Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery For Lumix DMC-FZ30, DMC-FZ7, DMC-FZ8, DMC-FZ18, DMC-FZ28 & DMC-FZ50 (7.2 Volt, 1000 Mah)

About time I grabbed a replacement battery for my camera so I won't be caught with a dead battery when I need the camera most. There are a few third party replacement cells out there but they all seem to get great reviews so I just snagged this one for $8.

Crystal Optics 46mm 3 Piece Multi-Coated, Multi Threaded Deluxe Glass Filter Kit

I mainly bought this for the UV filter because I find my lens constantly getting smudges and dirt on it, and I just know one day it's going to wind up scratched. I've always wanted to play around with a polarizing filter too so that will be neat-o.

46mm Platinum Series 2X Super Telephoto Lens

This was a major impulse buy. I have no idea how well it will work with my FZ28 but I guess I'm going to find out. They actually had a new 3.0x model but it was twice as expensive... lol

Got my stuff today from NWVirect, great fast shipping!

Looks like I forgot the adaptor for the telephoto lens but they are taking care of that for me pronto, gotta love good customer service!

Pics to come!

Last edited:
Got my stuff today from NWVirect, great fast shipping!

Looks like I forgot the adaptor for the telephoto lens but they are taking care of that for me pronto, gotta love good customer service!

Pics to come!

Did you lose the pics? :p

Did you lose the pics? :p

Sorry, lol, I've been recovering from a suprise appendectomy so I haven't felt like messing with my camera much until just a couple days ago.

I've got more pictures, more sample video, and a Q&A video to wrap up my 'review' and opinion of the camera.

The filter kit I got is awesome, the UV filter allows me to protect my lens which I'm really anal about. I was getting dust and hair all over he FZ28's lens and now that's no longer a problem. The polarizing filter is just plain awesome to play with although I haven't had a chance to actually use it for something practical yet - I'm still fascinated by standing near a window and turning the filter to watch the reflection 'vanish'... the effect shows up wonderfully on video which I'll show you guys soon.

The third filter that came in the kit is a rose tinted FL which is supposed to bring a more natural color to photos and video taken in flourescent light. I'm sure that will come in handy at some point.

Now for the bad news:

The 2x Telephoto lens I bought was advertised as being compatible with the FZ28 and having 46mm threads to attach to the main lens. When I got it I discovered that it was actually a 52mm lens and they included a 52mm to 46mm step-down ring. Well with that attached to the camera the lens could not retract and full telephoto photos displayed a really obnoxious amount of smudging and distortion on the edges of the picture.

I contacted NVWDirect via email about this and received a phone call from one of the photo gurus there and he explained that this combination wouldn't work for the FZ28 and I needed a tube adaptor similar to Panasonic's own DMW-LA3, except this one has 52mm threads on the end (to fit the 2x telephoto lens I originally bought). He sent this to me for free and overnight delivery just like my original order. The product he sent me costs $30 on their website so to say I was pleased and impressed was an understatement.

Unfortunately even though everything 'fits' together the image at max telephoto is pretty much unusable with the same circular fringing and distortion around the edges of the picture. My only conclusion is that I need a bigger telephoto lens instead of the 52mn one.

I definitely know where I'll be placing THAT particular order when the time comes....

Sample pictures to show the distortion with the 2X telephoto lens and adapter:

013.JPG

014.JPG

021.JPG

023.JPG

Oh and here's a bonus picture for you, caught this guy the night before last (plus 2 raccoons, heh):

010.JPG

Last edited:
Tonight made me realize how much I need a good DSLR camera, but I guess there are a few good pictures in the bunch. I originally started off shooting in Shutter priority mode with ISO1600 (then ISO800) but the pictures are too noisy and usually exhibited motion blur anyway.

The HD video is FANTASTIC and I took a bunch... I'll be encoding it and uploading it to Youtube tomorrow. Absolutely drool worthy video quality....

046.JPG

047.JPG

050.JPG

062.JPG

073.JPG

086.JPG

103.JPG

107.JPG

117.JPG

118.JPG

150.JPG

204.JPG