Panasonic Lumix FZ28 - Unboxing and Layman's Impressions (Pics + Videos)

I'm still working on that '6 months later' follow-up video review on the FZ28... the going is slow because I'm in the middle of tons of other projects, but it's simmering on the back burner. If you guys have any questions or issues you'd like me to make note of in the follow-up video review please feel free to send them to me. :)

It will be posted on Youtube and linked here when it's done...

sounds good^

i'm going up to NC mountains in a little over a month. I'm thinking I'll need about 3 8gb sd cards should be enough?

I'm still working on that '6 months later' follow-up video review on the FZ28... the going is slow because I'm in the middle of tons of other projects, but it's simmering on the back burner. If you guys have any questions or issues you'd like me to make note of in the follow-up video review please feel free to send them to me. :)

It will be posted on Youtube and linked here when it's done...

BF is it just me or does loading 720p movies onto you tube take forever. Seriously it took me over an hour to upload a 3 1/2 minute ~ 600mb video. I have 1mb upstream cable [10mb down].

BF is it just me or does loading 720p movies onto you tube take forever. Seriously it took me over an hour to upload a 3 1/2 minute ~ 600mb video. I have 1mb upstream cable [10mb down].

Well that sounds about right, but you're doing it wrong... you need to recompress your video into something smaller like MPEG4/AVC or even Windows Media 9. Right out of the camera the videos are hardly compressed at all and take up massive space.

I do my video editing with Sony Vegas Professional and render it in MPEG4/AVC a about 6mbit/sec video bitrate (128k audio). Done this way your 3 1/2 minute 720P video would be somewhere around 140MB and would be a lot quicker to upload.

If you don't have Sony Vegas you can even use Windows Movie Maker to encode 720p video with no problems, just make sure to go into the options menu and set the aspect ratio to 16:9 widescreen.

Well that sounds about right, but you're doing it wrong... you need to recompress your video into something smaller like MPEG4/AVC or even Windows Media 9. Right out of the camera the videos are hardly compressed at all and take up massive space.

I do my video editing with Sony Vegas Professional and render it in MPEG4/AVC a about 6mbit/sec video bitrate (128k audio). Done this way your 3 1/2 minute 720P video would be somewhere around 140MB and would be a lot quicker to upload.

If you don't have Sony Vegas you can even use Windows Movie Maker to encode 720p video with no problems, just make sure to go into the options menu and set the aspect ratio to 16:9 widescreen.

WMM says .mov's are not a supported file type so thats a no go. I do have quick media converter maybe I can try that. I've used it before for 640x480 video but never 1280x720 [not even sure it supports that res.]

I'm still around checkin out this thread ;)

Just been busy with weddings,etc. Also been doin alot of reading on camera forums to get a better feel and gather more info on taking good pictures.

WMM says .mov's are not a supported file type so thats a no go. I do have quick media converter maybe I can try that. I've used it before for 640x480 video but never 1280x720 [not even sure it supports that res.]

Install Quicktime Alternative (google it), then Windows Movie Maker should be able to handle the .mov files just fine.

Thread needed some bumpin'....

Anybody have a problem with the Panny when trying to playback HD videos on the actual cam? I sometimes only see a black screen, with no display info, instead of the video thumbnail when I'm in playback mode. I originally thought it was because of my non-class 6 memory card I had, but now I do, and it is still happening. (1st page of) Google search has not helped, either.

For more advanced users I recommend buying (or finding) Sony Vegas. It's awesome software that will let you do almost anything you set your mind to, and will allow you to render in any format using any codec you have installed on your PC. I personally use h.264 for video and Lame MP3 for audio to upload to youtube. That gets me a small file with awesome quality.

Could you maybe list the steps you go through in Vegas to render a vid from the Panny to the codecs you mentioned? I'm a complete noob when it comes to both video/audio codecs. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back