Panasonic display with contrast ratio of over 1,000,000:1

Looks interesting, but as display noob, I have no idea how valid of a thing this is to get excited about.

Copy pasting my comment from the news section:

If they can actually pull this off and not just inflate the contrast ratio number with marketing bullshit this has the potential to be an OLED killer. Hell, it would kill VA panels too since the contrast ratio was what made it superior to IPS for most entertaiment purposes. IPS has wide enough viewing angle to be watchable in any sensible living room configuration. Also the 1000000:1 contrast ratio, while not infinite like OLED, is high enough to be practically invisible even in dark room. It does not suffer from IR/burn-in of Oled and slow pixel response times of VA panels either.

Copy pasting my comment from the news section:

If they can actually pull this off and not just inflate the contrast ratio number with marketing bullshit this has the potential to be an OLED killer. Hell, it would kill VA panels too since the contrast ratio was what made it superior to IPS for most entertaiment purposes. IPS has wide enough viewing angle to be watchable in any sensible living room configuration. Also the 1000000:1 contrast ratio, while not infinite like OLED, is high enough to be practically invisible even in dark room. It does not suffer from IR/burn-in of Oled and slow pixel response times of VA panels either.
So this is a new panel technology altogether; a new sub-category of IPS? If so, when will we be seeing in any displays or panels?

So this is a new panel technology altogether; a new sub-category of IPS? If so, when will we be seeing in any displays or panels?

If I have understood correctly its more like an addon to the existing IPS technology. IPS is technically the best LCD tech (wide viewing angles, good color reproduction and stable gamma when viewed straight on) but when it turns the pixels black it blocks the backlight leaking through poorly compared to VA panel and this is a big hit to the perceived image quality (contrast and black depth is super important). This is an extra layer of some new fancy tech behind the panel to dramatically reduce that flaw. So far only solution on improving the black levels of both IPS and VA has been controlling the backlight, local dimming and such. That is an expensive and somewhat complex solution that has flaws of its own, like haloing of bright objects against dark background and such. And to reduce haloing you have increase the amount of local dimming zones, making it even more complex and expensive.

As the article mentioned, samples will be sent at 2017 and it will be first seen in high end broadcasting, video production etc... super expensive professional tools. It may be while before we see this in consumer products. Just speculating here of course but unlike OLED which was completely new technology and took a decade to make something usable (and it still is not completely ready and free of major flaws) the LCD is already a tried and true old stuff so seeing this new improvement of that tech might not take as long to make its way to consumer TV's/monitors as OLED did.

If I have understood correctly its more like an addon to the existing IPS technology. IPS is technically the best LCD tech (wide viewing angles, good color reproduction and stable gamma when viewed straight on) but when it turns the pixels black it blocks the backlight leaking through poorly compared to VA panel and this is a big hit to the perceived image quality (contrast and black depth is super important). This is an extra layer of some new fancy tech behind the panel to dramatically reduce that flaw. So far only solution on improving the black levels of both IPS and VA has been controlling the backlight, local dimming and such. That is an expensive and somewhat complex solution that has flaws of its own, like haloing of bright objects against dark background and such. And to reduce haloing you have increase the amount of local dimming zones, making it even more complex and expensive.

As the article mentioned, samples will be sent at 2017 and it will be first seen in high end broadcasting, video production etc... super expensive professional tools. It may be while before we see this in consumer products. Just speculating here of course but unlike OLED which was completely new technology and took a decade to make something usable (and it still is not completely ready and free of major flaws) the LCD is already a tried and true old stuff so seeing this new improvement of that tech might not take as long to make its way to consumer TV's/monitors as OLED did.
Ok, ok. So this is going to take a good 5 years to make into our homes, correct? In that case, I'd much rather focus on OLED.

Ok, ok. So this is going to take a good 5 years to make into our homes, correct? In that case, I'd much rather focus on OLED.

5 years is a sensible estimate. If you are in a market for a new screen, dont wait for this. Hell, it might never arrive if its just all marketing BS to sell a minute improvement.

Wow, amazing if we could see this in the PC monitor market in a few years time. An LCD with 1:1000000 Static contrast ratio, with a 0.001 nits black point and 1000 nits white point. If this hit the market, one word; AWESOME.

Well,

This could have all the benefits of OLED, without any of the burn-in, color shift over device lifetime or brightness issues. Extra cost from making multiple panels, but there's certainly a similar cost premium with OLED that';s not going away anytime soon.

Bring this sucker on!

Well,

This could have all the benefits of OLED, without any of the burn-in, color shift over device lifetime or brightness issues. Extra cost from making multiple panels, but there's certainly a similar cost premium with OLED that';s not going away anytime soon.

Bring this sucker on!
it won't have the low response times of OLED.

it won't have the low response times of OLED.

No, but 6ms G-t-G with overdrive is plenty for most gamers, and more than enough for TVs for the rest of the market.

It won' kill OLED (more expensive than a basic LCD monitor), just offer an alternative fora similar price.

Bring back plasma.

Considering where display technology is going (HDR and such), no. Plasma is terribly obsolete and current VA panels already match a typical plasma blacks except for the very best ones like Kuro. Not all plasmas had good blacks, just better than VA panels of that time. Really, only thing plasma had going for is viewing angles and to some extent motion clarity.

Considering where display technology is going (HDR and such), no. Plasma is terribly obsolete and current VA panels already match a typical plasma blacks except for the very best ones like Kuro. Not all plasmas had good blacks, just better than VA panels of that time. Really, only thing plasma had going for is viewing angles and to some extent motion clarity.

Never heard of VA panels. I'll have to do some reading. The brief searching I just did is not for me to comment.

But I do love my Panasonic ZT60. My family has the latest and greatest Samsung OLEDs, but you know what, I still prefer my plasma.

Never heard of VA panels. I'll have to do some reading. The brief searching I just did is not for me to comment.

But I do love my Panasonic ZT60. My family has the latest and greatest Samsung OLEDs, but you know what, I still prefer my plasma.

Only LG is selling OLED televisions. Samsungs are mostly VA LCDs.

"to some extent" is kind of an understatement. VA response times are extremely bad while plasma is on par with CRT. i was blown away by the trailing on my D40u. transitions from black/grey are ridiculously slow, like trails at least half as long as the screen is wide, and it's one of the highest rated televisions on rtings for motion blur. in my opinion it's the biggest issue with the technology. viewing angles are almost as bad. even the best VAs' viewing angles are more than 3x as narrow as plasma (20 degrees vs 70+). that being said, plasma sucks in anything other than a dark room, will never be able to do HDR, and would probably never be able to support 4K in sizes smaller than what most people consider to be gigantic (like 60+ inches). i still think, despite all that, that plasma is one of the best technologies we've ever had and it would still be a better option than LCD in certain situations. the display market <$2,000 sucks right now. i'm just glad that OLED is finally available in a meaningful capacity. shouldn't be too much longer before it becomes viable for the other 99%.

"to some extent" is kind of an understatement. VA response times are extremely bad while plasma is on par with CRT. i was blown away by the trailing on my D40u. transitions from black/grey are ridiculously slow, like trails at least half as long as the screen is wide, and it's one of the highest rated televisions on rtings for motion blur. in my opinion it's the biggest issue with the technology. viewing angles are almost as bad. even the best VAs' viewing angles are more than 3x as narrow as plasma (20 degrees vs 70+). that being said, plasma sucks in anything other than a dark room, will never be able to do HDR, and would probably never be able to support 4K in sizes smaller than what most people consider to be gigantic (like 60+ inches). i still think, despite all that, that plasma is one of the best technologies we've ever had and it would still be a better option than LCD in certain situations. the display market <$2,000 sucks right now. i'm just glad that OLED is finally available in a meaningful capacity. shouldn't be too much longer before it becomes viable for the other 99%.

The "to some extent" i was merely referencing to the slight dithering artifacts plasma has on motion which some do not like, but otherwise I agree. For SDR sources and dark room viewing only Plasma is great.

I'm still rocking my 42 inch panny plasma in my bedroom. Best TV I ever bought.
Still wish I could buy one. I'm doing a ton of display research at the moment, but the absolute best looking display I've seen in person (apart from a few seconds of OLED viewing at the store) is the plasma that sits in my parent's living room.

Plasma is far from obsolete given OLED's uncertain future with only one Dell vapourware monitor in existence.
Plasma is an on/off display with practically perfect response and uniformity. LCD's are backlit displays with grey-blacks. VA's are nothing special. They simply "crush" the darker tones to achieve higher contrast to look good on paper specs.

Plasma is far from obsolete given OLED's uncertain future with only one Dell vapourware monitor in existence.
Plasma is an on/off display with practically perfect response and uniformity. LCD's are backlit displays with grey-blacks. VA's are nothing special. They simply "crush" the darker tones to achieve higher contrast to look good on paper specs.
uhhhh no, where on earth did you get a stupid idea like that?

Still wish I could buy one. I'm doing a ton of display research at the moment, but the absolute best looking display I've seen in person (apart from a few seconds of OLED viewing at the store) is the plasma that sits in my parent's living room.

Are you jealous of my 50" Panasonic? ;)

Reactions: Panel
like this
lol to a degree, yes. Though I wish they'd been able to make smaller plasmas.

They have plenty of drawbacks, but I persenally wouldn't mind 4K plasmas.

A 32-40" 1080 plasma would be nice.. or 4k... but plasmas are extinct - sigh.

I am still bitter over the lack of SED/FED display technology (thank you Applied Nanotech in Texas for squatting on the technology and blocking the Canon-Toshiba partnership). It was the closest thing we will ever have to a CRT replacement (what makes me cringe is LCD in an arcade cabinet). But, neat-o Panasonic. Neat-o. Like Odellus said, response times will still be LCD response times. Meh.

6ms isn't that bad with proper black frame insertion right? If we could just get proper G-SYNC with ULMB working together.

6ms isn't that bad with proper black frame insertion right? If we could just get proper G-SYNC with ULMB working together.
That would be amazing. But I think asking for ULMB and G-sync working together is a pretty hefty request on its own. Doing so on this particular Panasonic technology is nothing short of wishful thinking. :(

Some extent? It's not even close.. I have a Samsung VA based panel PC monitor and Kuro plasma in the same room, The Plasma is worlds better at maintaing details during motion (esp. when comparing 60fps gaming) while the VA is a blurry mess in comparison.

Even the Samsung TN based monitor that I use as my main gaming monitor for PC can't compete with the Plasma's motion handling.

Last edited:
Some extent? It's not even close.. I have a Samsung VA based panel PC monitor and Kuro plasma in the same room, The Plasma is worlds better at maintaing details during motion (esp. when comparing 60fps gaming) while the VA is a blurry mess in comparison.

Even the Samsung TN based monitor that I use as my main gaming monitor for PC can't compete with the Plasma's motion handling.

I already answered this earlier. I did not mean to imply "with some extent" that Plasma would be slow, far from it. Just took into account the contouring / dithering some PDP's have on motion. Poor choice of words, nothing more.

My Panasonic TV and CPVA monitors disagree with MaZa.

You are free to do so. Plasma does a lot of things right but I stand by my opinion that it is obsolete technology.

You are free to do so. Plasma does a lot of things right but I stand by my opinion that it is obsolete technology.

You'd probably be singing a different tune if you saw what PS4 / X1 look like on our Kuro plasma, but there's no use in starting a silly argument lol. It's all good Plasma definately is dead as nobody produces them anymore (unfortunately).

Carry on folks.

You'd probably be singing a different tune if you saw what PS4 / X1 look like on our Kuro plasma, but there's no use in starting a silly argument lol. It's all good Plasma definately is dead as nobody produces them anymore (unfortunately).

Carry on folks.
In my opinion, they should resume production of Plasma, in small quantity if nothing else. It'll give people a far greater variety of options in regards to TVs. And as for it being an obsolete technology, I wouldn't go quite so far as to call it so. It's not like CRT which had massive drawbacks in size and weight and power. I see no problem in making it in small quantities and charging a premium up compensate.

Back