Palm Pre comes out June 6th! Its Official!!

Will you be getting this phone?

• Yes! Release Day!

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • Waiting for reviews first

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • waiting for GSM version

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 41 45.1%

• Total voters
My wife and I might both be getting new phones this summer, and the Pre looks pretty cool. I'm not completely sold on it yet though, and I want to wait for reviews but also try it out a little too. Also, I've never dealt with Sprint, so I'm not sure how well they work around here.

Might get a GSM version if it comes out and I don't end up liking my N97. But the N97 will be a much rarer beast. :)

I am definitely interested. I am looking to upgrade my Sprint phone this summer. looks like I will have time for some reviews first.

i already have sprint, contract is up and all their other phones suck but sprint is the cheapest, haha. palm pre 4 me!

I'm really hoping for a gsm version in the months to come. When/If that hits, I'll upgrade to it most definitely.

If not, there's the palm eos is that rumored still for gsm.

$199 after MIR, which means it's actually $299, and a 2-year contract that starts at $70/month?! Yeah, not the smartest idea, when the whole world is in a deep recession. If they want to compete with the other heavy hitters (you know who I'm talking about), they're going to have to at least match - preferably beat - the competition's pricing.

Also of note is that they chose a very bad release date. Something big is going to happen two days after that...;)

$199 after MIR, which means it's actually $299, and a 2-year contract that starts at $70/month?!

I'm not familiar with what you're getting with that 70 dollars a month, but one of the "other heavy hitters (you know who I'm talking about)" :) is pretty much the same, considering their data plan is $30/month and then another $39.99/month for the lowest amount of minutes (450 a month), and no text messaging plan.

I've went through like 4 smartphones in the last 6 months. I'm gonna try to keep my iPhone as long as possible.

I'm not familiar with what you're getting with that 70 dollars a month, but one of the "other heavy hitters (you know who I'm talking about)" :) is pretty much the same, considering their data plan is $30/month and then another $39.99/month for the lowest amount of minutes (450 a month), and no text messaging plan.

I believe the competition's plan is getting cut by $10. Add $5 for the texts, and it's still $65 compared to the Pre's $70. Admittedly, you get less minutes, and maybe that's important to some, but I rarely use more than 100 minutes in a month.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

It's going to be around $450 over the counter. ($199 + $100 mail in rebate + $150 new contract / 2 yr resign)

Kinda sucks, but I'm likely going to have to pass on the phone as Sprint is forcing a plan upgrade to get one. Their $69.99/mo plan is worse then my grandfathered $30/mo plan. I'm already getting unlimited data and texting so I really can't justify more than doubling my monthly payment just for the pre alone.

I was looking forward to it too. :(

sweet. been wanting to swap out my work phone.. and luckily i'm on sprint.. I guess I can do the Pre vs. Touch Diamond Pro comparisons soon.

Wait, what? No, it's not. I'm a Sprint employee, it's going to be $299 + tax, and then a $100 MIR. Where do you get the extra $150 from? Unless you have poor credit and have to pay a deposit on a new account...

It's going to be around $450 over the counter. ($199 + $100 mail in rebate + $150 new contract / 2 yr resign)
:(

It's the $150 dollars taken off of phones for all new customers and those upgrading after 22 months. Considering that Sprint always includes that discount in the advertised prices of all there other phones, there's no reason to not expect it being included in addition to the $100 MIR for the Pre.

Would be nice to get a Pre for $49.99, but I just don't see that happening. :)

Oh, that is assuming that there won't be any Sprint subsidy instant rebates, which many others believe will be $100 worth making the potential price of the Pre around $549.

Pre-Central: Palm Pre $549 retail

I'm being a bit more optimistic with my guessing!

my sero contract is up in december. if sprint will let me get the pre while staying on my $30 sero plan and still get the $100 discount, i will buy without hesitation. if they say i have to leave my sero plan to upgrade- ill stay with the 800w forever.

Yes, you will upgrade from ur SERO plan to a more expensive plan.

http://www.precentral.net/sprint-no-sero-pre

Sorry, looks like ur 800w will have to do :(

I wish i could edit my poll to add another option: Waiting till after WWDC to see what Apple has, because im really interested in the next gen iphone too.

Tekara, I'm a bit confused as to what you're saying here... The $150 is never "added" to the cost of a phone, it's part of the instant rebate you get when upgrading. So I'm curious as to where you got your $450 price from...

These are the only costs you'll get your Pre for, from Sprint:

$549 + tax - full retail

$475 + tax - 1 year upgrade

$299 + tax - Early bump to the 2 year upgrade, MIR is void

$199 + tax on $299 - price after MIR, either new line of service or full eligibility.

*facepalm*

Oh, that [$450 price] is assuming that there won't be any Sprint subsidy instant rebates, which many others believe will be $100 worth making the potential price of the Pre around $549.

Pre-Central: Palm Pre $549 retail

I'm being a bit more optimistic with my guessing!

I'm usually not one for quoting myself, but anyway follow the link and look at their numbers. My $150 2yr contract deduction is the same as their $150 2yr deduction. Maybe seeing someone else use it to guess the price of the Pre will make it easier to understand how I guessed at the price.

If you hate dealing with rebates like I do the best way to get a new phone is through Best Buy. They usually have the price set to what you would pay if the rebate was instant.

Wait for one to show up on Ebay. These are way too expensive plus 2 yr contract...dont think so.

This is a CDMA phone dude, you can't go underground with it like you can with an iPhone. ;)

Not sure what you are talking about but they can be activated on the Sprint network as long as the ESN is clear. Verizon has the same system on their phones.:confused:

Not sure what you are talking about but they can be activated on the Sprint network as long as the ESN is clear. Verizon has the same system on their phones.:confused:

I believe they usually require a contract for that though. At least, last time I tried to just buy and put a Treo on Verizon's network, they forced me to renew my contract.

Yes you need to have a contract with Sprint or Verizon but you can buy and activate different phones as much as you want. You can activate online. You do not have to renew your contract if you buy a phone off Ebay or CraigsList and activate it.

If you hate dealing with rebates like I do the best way to get a new phone is through Best Buy. They usually have the price set to what you would pay if the rebate was instant.

Exactly... In fact there's a posting at Gizmodo on how at Best Buy the 100 dollar rebage will be instant, and not something you gotta' mail in. So buy it from Best Buy and only pay the $199.99 for the phone.

Also, I thought I heard Radio Shack was the same way, where there won't be a MIR, and that it will be instant... but I cannot confirm this.

Last edited:
The more I look at Sprints pricing, the more interesting this deal looks for our family of 3 iphones. Looks like we could almost save 75 dollars a month! and two of our phones are not 3G... and two dont have unlimited texting. IDK if I am right, but from what I can see, spring has a 1400, unlimited data plan, for 129.00 for two phones, plus 20 for each extra phone. Thats 150 per month for 3 phones with unlimited data and text messaging.

The more I look at Sprints pricing, the more interesting this deal looks for our family of 3 iphones. Looks like we could almost save 75 dollars a month! and two of our phones are not 3G... and two dont have unlimited texting. IDK if I am right, but from what I can see, spring has a 1400, unlimited data plan, for 129.00 for two phones, plus 20 for each extra phone. Thats 150 per month for 3 phones with unlimited data and text messaging.

Yeppers, that's right. Sprint's prices are pretty hard to beat. It's also easy to get a corporate discount attached. Its as easy as being part of a credit union!

If I hadn't just gotten a Bold, I would've waited for the pre, but i'm not sold on its keyboard and probably won't know till i try it...

Last edited:
If I hadn't just gotten a Bold, I would've waited for the pre, but i'm not sold on it's keyboard and probably won't know till i try it...

Keys aren't going to be as big as the Bold's, unfortunately. But most rumors are that it will be very usable, with a little practice.

Yeppers, that's right. Sprint's prices are pretty hard to beat. It's also easy to get a corporate discount attached. Its as easy as being part of a credit union!

I have been a member of a credit union for over 5 years, you should explain this =p

$199 after MIR, which means it's actually $299, and a 2-year contract that starts at $70/month?! Yeah, not the smartest idea, when the whole world is in a deep recession. If they want to compete with the other heavy hitters (you know who I'm talking about), they're going to have to at least match - preferably beat - the competition's pricing.

Also of note is that they chose a very bad release date. Something big is going to happen two days after that...;)

There is no way other carriers can get close to touching Sprint's price point. Plain and simple!

There is no way other carriers can get close to touching Sprint's price point. Plain and simple!

Eh? You do know that you don't get to keep your SERO plan, right? My iPhone service costs $60/month, plans for this start at $70/month. That's some simple math, but not the kind you were going for. :p

Eh? You do know that you don't get to keep your SERO plan, right? My iPhone service costs $60/month, plans for this start at $70/month. That's some simple math, but not the kind you were going for. :p

I challenge you to post the itemized costs of comparable ATT and Sprint plans. See how simple that math is.

Back