Pakistan Blocks YouTube, Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
You’d think with everything going on over there that Facebook and YouTube would be lower priority than this, but I guess not.

Pakistan on Thursday condemned caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed that appeared on Facebook, blocking access to the networking site and YouTube in a growing backlash over Internet "sacrilege."

hmm, "You can't draw Muhammed!"... reply "Wanna bet!"
answer: "Fine, we'll not let our people see you do It!"
OK

People should start posting pics of him all over the internets to see how many websites they can get banned lol

People should start posting pics of him all over the internets to see how many websites they can get banned lol

It's quite sad that some people can't seem to respect another man's religion if it differs from his own. I'd bet that if it was considered sacrelige to show pictures of Jesus or something people in this country would be calling for Facebook to be banned too.

It's quite sad that some people can't seem to respect another man's religion if it differs from his own. I'd bet that if it was considered sacrelige to show pictures of Jesus or something people in this country would be calling for Facebook to be banned too.

No. People have been defiling Christianity in the modern "arts" for decades, and yes while a few people got upset, no one got blown up.

its got nothing to do with respect, and if it does they have to earn the respect first something they are not willing to come to terms with.

the biggest problem i have with this is that they cannot respond like adults when a picture of Mohammed is posted somewhere, instead they go off on a tangent and threaten death and bombs. You know a bit like a 5 year old that on a rage because they have lost some sweets....

No. People have been defiling Christianity in the modern "arts" for decades, and yes while a few people got upset, no one got blown up.

No one got blown up from Vik's art either.. yet..

The pope tries to blacks things out too when he doesn't agree with something. The only difference is they'll try and deny everything. Muslim extremists brag about things.

Nobody's perfect.

I am free of religion. I think for myself. To me believing in religion is an antiquated human practice. I might as well worship Greek or Egyptian gods, it is equally unreasonable to me. Maybe if people realized how much of Islamic and Christan symbolism was stolen from ancient Egyptian religious beliefs people would then think about their own beliefs more objectively and with less blind faith.

Today Islam and Christianity are nothing but evolved more socially acceptable versions of an ancient Egyptian based system. Along the way someone changed what they didn't like and sought to lead the masses with their own flavor of religion. I mean Exodus *is* the 2nd book in the bible, next only to creation itself. That seems a little odd doesn't it. A religion that begins with the freeing of slaves... People have been changing religion to make it what they want since the beginning of time. A true religion isn't something that should ever be able to change. Oddly the Taliban and the Puritans believe the same thing, you can't go injecting your own opinion into the word of a supreme being. The problem is their word of a supreme being isn't actually from a supreme being.

Unfortunately "Free speech isn’t a global constant". Good time for the people of Pakistan to learn to use a proxy server!!

how-to-surf-web-anonymously-25-web-proxies-520x434.jpg

Now if Canada would just block them (at the borders) we could all just carry on

Will it ever end. Jesus(Jew)vs Prophet Mohammed(Muslim). This constant religious fighting has to stop sometime. Their is one Heaven and all the different religions are killing each other to prove it and how to get there.

Will it ever end. Jesus(Jew)vs Prophet Mohammed(Muslim). This constant religious fighting has to stop sometime. Their is one Heaven and all the different religions are killing each other to prove it and how to get there.

Sorry, but there aren't just 2 religions. There are several thousand, and no matter what you do, you're damned to hell in dozens if not hundreds of them by following the beliefs of another religion.

So either...

a) Any one works, in which case we can assume that we can believe whatever we want and get away with it.

b) Humans are damned to make a choice between religions with no guiding help from "God", and if they choose the wrong one they go to hell. Which would exclude the existence of a truly "good" "God".

c) Religion is bullshit, and attempting to claim that their either is, or isn't a "God", is idiotic and nothing more then the effect of superstitious morons following fairy tales written and managed by the very people who directly benefit from the teachings.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM... I wonder which of these is most reasonable.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Religion thrives on ignorance. Threaten those who don't follow and kill those who outright reject. It's been the hallmark of religious institutions for the entirety of human history.

I probably couldn't put it better myself then what Nemesis999 wrote, with huge respect my friend.

No. The US and most of the western world is much more secularized than the arab world. This is why it's not considered sacrilege. Some people might get upset, but the government just doesn't care about such things.

I understand it's their religious POV to not depict their deity in art and all, but damn you'd think would have learned by now that not everyone else feels that way and they will someday need to figure out how to live in a world with the rest of us.

But, I guess that's what a severe lack of education and poverty will get you. Stupid people. Lots of them. In leadership positions.

Ugh. Makes me appreciate US politicians quite a bit, despite their own constant stupidity.

I understand it's their religious POV to not depict their deity in art and all, but damn you'd think would have learned by now that not everyone else feels that way and they will someday need to figure out how to live in a world with the rest of us.

The funny part is that the reason behind the ban on depicting Mo' was to prevent the worship of the prophet, as only Allah should be worshiped. Seems it is becoming a little counter-productive.

Now if Canada would just block them (at the borders) we could all just carry on

As a Canadian I have never had a problem with "them" which I assume you mean Muslims.

When the power went out on the east coast, many years back when I was in College, a family of Muslims took myself and my two roommates in and fed us, because we couldn't use our stove.

Having worked with "them", in a professional environment, I have come to the conclusion that they are no different than "us". They want the same things for their children and families as we do.

The one constant you will notice, in terrorists and/or extremist groups, is they have nothing to live for. They have no job, no money, no education, and no future. If the world was really interested in eliminating terrorism we would start by combating the root cause ... sadly that isn't the case.

In addition, I would like to think that Canadians are more tolerant of other cultures, when compared to most countries ... or so we used to be.

My Mo:

\ /
^

actually I see it as a good thing.
The public will learn how to bypass these things like they did in china
education = good

The God who made the world and everything in it, is the Lord of heaven and earth, and does not live in temples built by hands, and is not served by human hands as if he needed anything, because He himself gives all men life, breath, and everything else.

From one man He made every nation of men, so that they should inhabit the whole earth, and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live.

God did this so that men would seek him, and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us.

For in Him we live and move and have our being, as some poets have said "We are his offspring"

Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone, an image made by MAN's design and skill. In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent!

For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him (Jesus) from the dead.

:)

The God who made the world and everything in it, is the Lord of heaven and earth, and does not live in temples built by hands, and is not served by human hands as if he needed anything, because He himself gives all men life, breath, and everything else.

From one man He made every nation of men, so that they should inhabit the whole earth, and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live.

God did this so that men would seek him, and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us.

For in Him we live and move and have our being, as some poets have said "We are his offspring"

Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone, an image made by MAN's design and skill. In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent!

For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him (Jesus) from the dead.

:)

In this temple, entirely decked out in gold, the people worship the statues of three gods in such wise that the mightiest of them, Thor, occupies a throne in the middle of the chamber; Wotan and Frikko have places on either side. The significance of these gods is as follows: Thor, they say, presides over the air, which governs the thunder and lightning, the winds and rains, fair weather and crops. The other, Wotan—that is, the Furious—carries on war and imparts to man strength against his enemies. The third is Frikko, who bestows peace and pleasure on mortals. His likeness, too, they fashion with an immense phallus.

I can quote mythical BS too. :)

This is unfortunate for the citizens who liked to use such websites that live over there. Why is no one seeing that this really sucks for them.

On another note I'm all for drawing him, or animating him in the case of southpark.

In this temple, entirely decked out in gold, the people worship the statues of three gods in such wise that the mightiest of them, Thor, occupies a throne in the middle of the chamber; Wotan and Frikko have places on either side. The significance of these gods is as follows: Thor, they say, presides over the air, which governs the thunder and lightning, the winds and rains, fair weather and crops. The other, Wotan—that is, the Furious—carries on war and imparts to man strength against his enemies. The third is Frikko, who bestows peace and pleasure on mortals. His likeness, too, they fashion with an immense phallus.

ROFL! win dude, win

Sorry, but there aren't just 2 religions. There are several thousand, and no matter what you do, you're damned to hell in dozens if not hundreds of them by following the beliefs of another religion.

So either...

a) Any one works, in which case we can assume that we can believe whatever we want and get away with it.

b) Humans are damned to make a choice between religions with no guiding help from "God", and if they choose the wrong one they go to hell. Which would exclude the existence of a truly "good" "God".

c) Religion is bullshit, and attempting to claim that their either is, or isn't a "God", is idiotic and nothing more then the effect of superstitious morons following fairy tales written and managed by the very people who directly benefit from the teachings.

or

d) Most people don't want guiding help. Most people don't care. More importantly than truth, most people just want the belief that makes them feel good. And in the afterlife, those doomed will realize and understand that it wasn't a matter of mistakenly picking the wrong door, but a matter of not wanting what was available to them.

I like this quote from the comments to the article:

These are King religions - God made in the image of a medival king. Subjects brought before the king knew well to get down on their knees, cower in fear, beg & grovel for his mercy, for they knew what terrible fate would befall them if they didn't. Hence a heaven for loyalists & hell for non-loyalists, even if they are good people, for the king prizes loyalty above everything else, non-loyalists could cost him his crown.
Beware of such religions where followers become subjects/slaves/servants/soldiers of this god who demands absolute loyalty. Once a follower descends to that level he or she is no longer able to question orders or listen to his consceince - hence the long list of atrocities committed by these types of religions, while the faithful remain silent witnesses.
Terrorists usually come from such religions - after all if god himself dislikes non-loyalists & is going to give them hell, what's the harm in killing them?

I'm not sure why Facebook and Youtube feel the need to have a presence in Pakistan anyway. I can't see that there is that much money to be made there. It seems to me like the simple solution would be to just block access to these web sites by Pakistanis.

Having worked with "them", in a professional environment, I have come to the conclusion that they are no different than "us". They want the same things for their children and families as we do.

I've had a very different experience than you. Most Muslims I've met have had a very anti-Jewish attitude, to the point of echoing Nazi sentiments and conspiracy theories about how the Jews control everything and the only solution is to kill them. As far as non-Muslims go, we are all going to Hell unless we convert and start stricly following their religious practices. Attitudes tend to be more barbaric and uncivilized, and reflective of the country they came from. They don't care about anyone but their immediate family and their religion, and how life and society can benefit them, regardless of the overall well-being of the society in which they live. As other comments said, it is a very childish attitude. They simply don't think like we Westerners do, and giving them the benefit of the doubt is going to bring us to ruin.

I'm convinced that the only reason we don't have problems in the USA is that the Muslims don't have the numbers to really affect anything. They have to get along, and don't have a choice. We may eventually have to take a hard line here, though, like they do in India.

What's interesting is that even though I am basically of Viking ancestry, I have always preferred the Greek and Roman gods. If I had to choose, that would probably be my religion.

Back